Media Megaforum

Your "Getting Ready" Song
lba at 9:11AM, Oct. 5, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
The Cure are thought of as a Goth band… a nice poppy goth band. Though that really is a shit music subculture so it's probably a bit insulting to lump them in with it because of the makeup… lol!

A lot of music style labels are a bit of a nonsense really… often the differences in styles are subtle and obvious only to nerds who are passionate about their particular one.

Ska went on a funny journey… from being poppy up-beat reggae, to a more conventional rock style while retaining the connection (a tenuous one) via the bounciness of that rhythmic foundation… But speeded up. A lot. lol!

I never even understood why goths are fascinated by The Cure. It's not exactly the sort of music you'd be thinking of goths listening to. It just seems out of place except for the make up.

Ska has become a mix of almost everything. When you look at a lot of it, you've got the reggae and rock influences, but a lot of times you'll see a hip hop and blues influence too. The only thing that's stayed 100% constant is the rhythm. But the original stuff still shows through in some of the older bands like Operation Ivy and I hardly think there's a musical genre out there that hasn't evolved over time.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
darko4ever at 3:04PM, Oct. 5, 2008
(offline)
lba
I never even understood why goths are fascinated by The Cure. It's not exactly the sort of music you'd be thinking of goths listening to. It just seems out of place except for the make up.

Ska has become a mix of almost everything. When you look at a lot of it, you've got the reggae and rock influences, but a lot of times you'll see a hip hop and blues influence too. The only thing that's stayed 100% constant is the rhythm. But the original stuff still shows through in some of the older bands like Operation Ivy and I hardly think there's a musical genre out there that hasn't evolved over time.

Maybe Techno? like full hardstyle “come to the cocaine palace” techno. Hasn't much evolved except that it split into alot of different sub categories. Like I'm nto bagging it at all like if your in a club and that music on you might as well dance, and it's easy to get into the groove but when your on a quiet train and someone is listening to just techno I never understood it.
I rather listen to Moby, my little tofu loving bald man.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
Brogan at 9:58PM, Oct. 5, 2008
(online)
lba
Is the goth thing still around? I don't really see it that much anymore. Maybe it's a little more underground again? Then again, I don't live in the city anymore either.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:35AM
darko4ever at 11:28PM, Oct. 5, 2008
(offline)
I always thought goths listen to Marylin Manson ad stuff like that.

I know there are goths in Melbourne in Australia, my brother is one… or half of one. I don't think goths have gone underground I think we are just use to them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
lba at 5:26PM, Oct. 6, 2008
(online)
Brogan
Is the goth thing still around? I don't really see it that much anymore. Maybe it's a little more underground again? Then again, I don't live in the city anymore either.
I think it's dried up and gone for the most part. As far as I can tell, it just got sucked into and absorbed by the wider community of alternative lifestyles and stopped existing as a single separate group.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved