Media Megaforum

Your bad music choices
zaymac at 6:58AM, Aug. 26, 2010
(online)
This is a thread for those CDs, MP3's or Albums that you purchased before you had any musical sensiblity. You know, when you look in your collection every few years and say WTF? Why did I purchase this.

My offenders

Blues Traveler (I must've had a thing for harmonicas at the time)

No Doubt (I was seventeen, I may or may not have had a crush on Gwen Stefani)

Limp Bizkit (I can't be excused for this one)

Dave Matthews Band (While not horrible, they're least commercial album is my favorite, so go figure) Actually, they are horrible. Disregard my previous statement.

I'm sure there are more, but I wanna hear everyone else's. :)

It's a Grizzly Bear battling Zombies. Do you need to know more?
DOLLAR STORE HAIRCUTA daily webcomic of unfunny.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:55PM
ozoneocean at 8:17AM, Aug. 26, 2010
(online)
This one is harrrd… mainly because all the stuff I bought I tend to keep going back to. I'm pretty hapy with almost all of it, even No Jacket Required, by Pill Collins.

Few stand out. Hmm…

“Beat the Heat”- a compilation CD of various hits from… 91? I think. It has some songs that I liked (and still do), like Groove is in the Heart by Deeelite, Doin the Do by Betty Boo, and Cherry Pie by Warrant, but also a LOT of horrible shit that I've always hated- stuff from New Kids on the Block, Technotronic, Taylor Dayne and so on

Mac Bolan and T.Rex Millennium Collection
-I love T-Rex… so that's why I hate this. I bought it because it had a MASSIVE tracklist of great T-Rex songs, only to discover they'd all had cheap, tinny drum machine beats mixed on to them by some C*NT of a moronic late 90's music producer… Almost every song on there is disgusting to listen to.
-The thing with T-Rex songs is that they're simplistic and stupid, but still just manage to be catchy and sound good anyway. The drum machine tipped them over the edge into pure popcrap.

4 non Blondes single for “what's going on”
That song was catchy but VERY dull after repetition. The rest of the simgles with it sucked bad.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
elektro at 8:32AM, Aug. 26, 2010
(online)
Oh, this is an easy one: Sepultura's Roots.

I've owned some mediocre albums before, and those I traded off for something else. This album is so bad that I still have it in my CD collection five years after I bought it just so I can make fun of how horrible it is (and how much of a regrettable purchase it was).

I even did a review on it, it was so bad.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 8:35AM, Aug. 26, 2010
(offline)
I used to have every single Elvis album.

Then I played frizbee.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:54PM
Hawk at 8:54AM, Aug. 26, 2010
(online)
I've been so careful with my music purchases that there's only one CD I regret buying (and even then, I don't really regret it).

Back in the 90's there was a song I heard on the radio every now and then. I loved it. But every time they played it, they'd never say the name of the song or who played it. I actually went for four years wondering what the song was and never finding out, as they played it from time to time. And I always heard it while driving, so there was nobody to ask and no way to phone the music station.

Finally one day I came home furious because I heard the song again while driving and AGAIN they didn't say the name. But there was this thing called THE INTERNET, so I logged on with my 2400 baud modem and started searching based on what few lyrics I remembered. Finally, after four years of wondering, I found it was “In The Meantime” by Spacehog. I'm sure you either haven't heard of that or you think it's dumb, but I loved it and I still do.

I immediately got back in the car and made the 30-minute trip back into town and bought Spacehog's CD. Upon listening to it, sure enough it had my song. But every other song was TERRIBLE! I payed $13 for one great song and the rest was crap.

It's still my favorite song and I'm glad I own it, but I always regretted owning the rest of the CD. I guess nowadays you can just purchase a single song if you like it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
skoolmunkee at 9:12AM, Aug. 26, 2010
(online)
Most of my regrettable music purchases are albums where only one song was good, like Hawk's story above. (That's a good song!) I'm always annoyed when I have shuffle on and a worthless songs comes up. I think about deleting them from my library, but it's in my nature to keep sets complete and not delete stuff just in case. One day I should just be sensible and delete all the songs I never want to listen to when they do come up.

I haven't done any of that bad buying in years though, my current rule has been to not buy any album until I've heard at least 3 of the songs on it repeatedly and really liked them. It rules out a lot of junk music. I hardly buy music any more anyway, most of it comes from artists I know I like, but the occasional new artist I pick up I apply the 3-song rule to.

Also I should delete all that Pink Floyd crap, a coworker put them in my itunes library years ago and I never liked them, I just feel bad deleting the equivalent of the entire pink floyd library in what was meant as a gift (though, technically, probably stealing!)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
mlai at 9:14AM, Aug. 26, 2010
(online)
Better yet, you can go to Youtube and type “in the meantime spacehog.”

Can't say I've ever heard this one on the car radio.

How can you not like Pink Floyd? Aren't you of the age bracket that must worship Pink Floyd?

I like Pink Floyd and I've never even done any drugs.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 9:25AM, Aug. 26, 2010
(offline)
Pink Floyd has some really crappy stuff.

Although The Dark Side of The Moon ranks number two on my favorite albums list.

To Hawk: I've done the same thing but ended up getting lucky in getting many good albums that way.

Such as my number one all time favorite album Consolers of the Lonely by The Racontuers.
And Era Vulgaris by Queens of the Stone Age.

And…wow…I've done that alot…

Guess I have luck there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:54PM
ozoneocean at 9:33AM, Aug. 26, 2010
(online)
skoolmunkee
Also I should delete all that Pink Floyd crap
Give it all to me! love them!

Oh, Two really crap albums I got:
-Powertrip by Monster Magnet.
Only two good songs on it- Spacelord and something else… can't recall.
and…
-Without You I'm Nothing by Placebo. Pure Morning is still great, all the rest is proto-emo whining shiz.

Hawk at 12:51PM, Aug. 26, 2010
(online)
mlai
Better yet, you can go to Youtube and type “in the meantime spacehog.”

Well, NOW I can. Back then it was the 90's and Youtube didn't exist. I was still doing my internet searches with Hotbot and Lycos.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
Chernobog at 1:43PM, Aug. 26, 2010
(offline)
Thinking way back to my teenage years…

Lusk: One album ever made… talk about obscure. Some of their songs are okay with a child nostalgia kind of feel, but most of the album was meh.

Dubstar: Stars is a good song. (Good enough that even Lacuna Coil covered it.) Wasn't really impressed with them beyond that.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
blindsk at 2:01PM, Aug. 26, 2010
(online)
zaymac
No Doubt (I was seventeen, I may or may not have had a crush on Gwen Stefani)

I have one of those - it's just as if not more embarrassing. Back in my naive days at the age of eleven, before I actually developed a taste in music, I pretty much followed whatever was popular.

I had saved money up, and went for the CD that was most talked about. Guess which one it was? Britney Spears just released her first album that year and I…went for it.

After about a week's worth of convincing myself that I actually enjoyed the album, it finally was tossed aside, never to be listened to again. It could be anywhere, and frankly, I don't really care if it turns up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
seventy2 at 4:16PM, Aug. 26, 2010
(online)
Hawk
space hog

searches, holy crap that song is good. i had forgotten about it.
—————–

I like all music, and if i take the time to actually purchase the album of a band, then i know it's a good investment, and i may end up disliking only one or two songs.

my buddy did give me about 8 hours worth of techno, of which only about 2 hours is any good. i'm kinda embarrassed for the rest
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:30PM
ozoneocean at 5:50PM, Aug. 26, 2010
(online)
seventy2
my buddy did give me about 8 hours worth of techno, of which only about 2 hours is any good. i'm kinda embarrassed for the rest
25% is a pretty massive result when it comes to techno.
I would've expected 2 to 5% at most.

Are you sure that it isn't just the other 6 hours wearing you down and making the rest seem good?

claus at 10:24PM, Aug. 26, 2010
(online)
i bought every ac/dc album, guns n roses album then i gave up the dad rock and devoted myself to a sad pitiful drum and bass lifestyle
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:42AM
blindsk at 10:45PM, Aug. 26, 2010
(online)
claus
i bought every ac/dc album, guns n roses album then i gave up the dad rock and devoted myself to a sad pitiful drum and bass lifestyle

Pendulum!

Honestly though, the first and only concert I went to was a Guns n' Roses one and uh…yeah, I'm not really sure on the music these days, but the group and the fans that enjoy said band were certainly…eye-opening. ;)
skoolmunkee at 12:45AM, Aug. 27, 2010
(online)
mlai
How can you not like Pink Floyd? Aren't you of the age bracket that must worship Pink Floyd?

I'm not that old. T_T No, I tend to like a different type of music, I'm not into the whole psychadelic rock thing. There's a time gap between the end of the Beatles and the beginning of Tom Petty where I don't think I have any music from. Maybe some Queen songs from compilation albums.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
ozoneocean at 3:27AM, Aug. 27, 2010
(online)
skoolmunkee
I'm not that old. T_T No, I tend to like a different type of music, I'm not into the whole psychadelic rock thing. There's a time gap between the end of the Beatles and the beginning of Tom Petty where I don't think I have any music from.
Surely you have some Zeppelin…?

skoolmunkee at 4:05AM, Aug. 27, 2010
(online)
Nope, I'm not a big fan of them. They're ok, I'll listen to one of their songs if it's on the radio. My early rock preferences do a jump from the Beatles to Dire Straits and Van Halen. I seem to have skipped the whole drugged out 70s megarock period. I know the main songs and I like them well enough, just not enough miss not having them at hand.

Haha, apparently my ‘bad music choices’ are to not like music other people think highly of. :]
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
ozoneocean at 4:45AM, Aug. 27, 2010
(online)
skoolmunkee
I seem to have skipped the whole drugged out 70s megarock period. I know the main songs and I like them well enough, just not enough miss not having them at hand.
Fair enough. I find music tastes are usually formed in the teen years, and those are different for everyone.

skoolmunkee at 5:48AM, Aug. 27, 2010
(online)
Oddly enough my early teen years were filled with bands like Poison and Warrant and GnR (oh man, saying that makes me feel old). I haven't had anything of theirs for a long time. It's true though that my later teen tastes have stuck with me though, Wallflowers and Pearl Jam and Tom-Petty-type-guy-and-guitar stuff. Although I did pick up a GnR greatest hits album a couple years ago, money well spent. 8)

I'm sure at least half my music tastes came from my parents. My mom exclusively listened to ‘golden oldies’ stations (elvis, beatles, motown, etc) and my dad was into whatever was new at the time- which at the time was zztop, van halen, dire straits… I'm sure if they'd have listened to country I'd be a country fan (beyond Elvis and Johnny Cash) or anything else.

It was kind of weird working in a music store at one point and pretty much knowing everything about the ‘oldies’ section though.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
Dark Pascual at 7:48AM, Aug. 27, 2010
(online)
I was a teenager during the rap-metal era (1998-2000) so I have some pretty “embarassing” stuff that some of you have mentioned.

Honestly, I still don't think that it was that bad, Placebo and Korn are still among my favorite bands and No Doubt had some pretty cool stuff before “Don't Speak”, but most of the latter 90's stuff was deleted permanently from my music library.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
ozoneocean at 8:15AM, Aug. 27, 2010
(online)
skoolmunkee
Oddly enough my early teen years were filled with bands like Poison and Warrant and GnR (oh man, saying that makes me feel old)…

…I'm sure at least half my music tastes came from my parents.
Same and same!
May dad gave me Velvet Underground, the Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Neil Young, the Eagles, Bob Dylan, Jimmy Hendrix, Led Zeppelin… My mum gave me the Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Furies, Carol King, Gilbert and Sullivan, Gershwin, Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky…
Dark Pascual
I was a teenager during the rap-metal era (1998-2000)
That was the nasty part of the rap metal era… I remember the early days with Anthrax, the classic Aerosmith and RUN DMC colab Walk This Way, and of course the debut hit by Faith No More- Epic (1990):

Man, we thought that was so AWSOME and strange back then… but now that rap seems a little lame :(

skoolmunkee at 10:51AM, Aug. 27, 2010
(online)
I'm still not a fan of rap, but I generally like Eminem songs when they come on the radio. I dunno what it is. He sounds so angry. :I I haven't bought an Emnem album though.

OK, let's see if I can remember some of those awful albums not worth the one song I bought them for….

Gary Jules? Who did the remake of ‘Mad World’ a few years ago for Donny Darko. THAT song was brilliant, but the rest of the album was just…. boring, nothing.

Longer ago than that, Primitive Radio Gods, I got their album because of Standing outside a phonebook.. broken… something or other. I still think that's a decent song, but the rest of the album made me really angry as soon as I listened to it. The next day I sold it to a used CD place.

Who sang the ‘millions of peaches’ song? And Lump? I actually enjoyed this one when I had it, but about 6 months later I realized that most of the songs were pretty crap, not even as enjoyable as other ‘silly/weird’ bands of the time like Cake and they might be giants. I think I had the same opinion of the Primus album…
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
blindsk at 11:08AM, Aug. 27, 2010
(online)
skoolmunkee
I'm still not a fan of rap, but I generally like Eminem songs when they come on the radio. I dunno what it is. He sounds so angry. :I I haven't bought an Emnem album though.

Yeah, I'm sort of in the same boat with this one. Not big on rap, but I'll still listen to him. I think the appeal in his early years/my teenage years was his daring sense of controversial humor. I can remember my friends at that time praising his rebellious lyrics.

And then now, I can really tell his music has matured with him. He actually characterizes real-life issues that people struggle with today.
Giratinasaur at 7:58PM, Aug. 27, 2010
(offline)
skoolmunkee
I'm always annoyed when I have shuffle on and a worthless songs comes up. I think about deleting them from my library, but it's in my nature to keep sets complete and not delete stuff just in case.
I feel your pain… oh, do I feel your pain.

Anyway, this happened a lot when I was a kid - I'd hear one song I liked, then buy the appropriate CD to find that everything else wasn't cool because it flew straight over my head. Not so now, but…

The House of Jirachi: the only webcomic that has static rats and ebony felines working together in tandem.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
elektro at 8:56PM, Aug. 27, 2010
(online)
skoolmunkee
Who sang the ‘millions of peaches’ song? And Lump?

Presidents of the United States of America. Yeah, they were pretty forgettable.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
Genejoke at 10:54AM, Aug. 28, 2010
(online)
elektro
skoolmunkee
Who sang the ‘millions of peaches’ song? And Lump?

Presidents of the United States of America. Yeah, they were pretty forgettable.

Those two songs are great though, they had a couple f other good ones but not much.

Bad music… It's tough I like a lot of stuff I am pretty diverse.
I like Limp bizkit, well some of their stuff anyway, but I have to be in the right mood.

recently I have been revisting the early nineties stuff like Pop will eat itself and Jesus Jones. JJ are especially dated but still some good songs in amongst the rubbish.

I got one…
Babylon zoo, the boy with the X-ray eyes. had a few good tracks but mostly tripe, I bough t it off the back of the spacemen single.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
Plague Doctor at 1:29PM, Aug. 28, 2010
(offline)
My music choices were pretty much determined what was popular on MTV at that time-late 90's,early 2000's
Britney Spears-the songs were really catchy,and I never really cared much for the lyrics(still don't) ans she had creative videospots.OK,I really have no idea why I liked her
Eminem-I tought he was the biggest badass ever,and that was the first time I heard of celebrity went to jail.And the profane lyrics made me laugh.Yeah…
Shakira-I liked her early,wiled stage.Her modern stuff is too much light-hearted for me to bare.Or I just grew out of her,donno
Gwen Stefani-worst…voice…ever,but some melodies were catchy and I liked her retro-style
Christina Aguliera-peer pressure
Pink-I think I stopped listening to her music when she begun using music in a way to push political messages down our throaths,like when my english improved to REALLY understand the lyrics,not to repeat them like a parrot :)
Good or bad,any kind of messages don't intrest me.Music is for fun,not education or moral fueling
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
Genejoke at 1:17AM, Aug. 30, 2010
(online)
Plague Doctor
My music choices were pretty much determined what was popular on MTV at that time-late 90's,early 2000's
Britney Spears-the songs were really catchy,and I never really cared much for the lyrics(still don't) ans she had creative videospots.OK,I really have no idea why I liked her
Eminem-I tought he was the biggest badass ever,and that was the first time I heard of celebrity went to jail.And the profane lyrics made me laugh.Yeah…
Shakira-I liked her early,wiled stage.Her modern stuff is too much light-hearted for me to bare.Or I just grew out of her,donno
Gwen Stefani-worst…voice…ever,but some melodies were catchy and I liked her retro-style
Christina Aguliera-peer pressure
Pink-I think I stopped listening to her music when she begun using music in a way to push political messages down our throaths,like when my english improved to REALLY understand the lyrics,not to repeat them like a parrot :)
Good or bad,any kind of messages don't intrest me.Music is for fun,not education or moral fueling

You are spot on but I do like creative lyrics, just not heavy handed political or social views.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved