Media Megaforum

Your favorite cartoons!
LIZARD_B1TE at 4:09AM, Dec. 21, 2008
(online)
Skullbie
Wish they'd make a psychonauts cartoon :)

That would be the most awesome thing ever.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
Senshuu at 6:18AM, Dec. 21, 2008
(offline)
Custard Trout
THERE'S A DVD? WHERE? OH GOD GIVE IT TO ME!

Get with the program yo, it came out like months ago~ the box is SHINY.

Oh shit Avatar made me tingle all over. I'd list some anime here too but I don't watch it regularly enough, and few of my favorite animes are American-licensed/come on TV yet. (I did mention somewhere that I still love original DBZ though. :D And and and Tenchi Universe)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
Wordweaver_three at 4:03PM, Dec. 21, 2008
(online)
Courage the Cowardly Dog is one of my favorite cartoons of all time, Scooby Doo was great until Scrappy came along and started pissing all over it. GARGOYLES! Think Goliath and Elisa ever got it on? You bet your sweet ass they did! Couldn't get more interracial then that! Cowboy Bebop is probably the best anime ever, followed closely by Outlaw Star with Big O taking third (Don't get the plot? That's ok, just wait for the big robot fight scene).
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM
Mushroomcomix at 8:06PM, Dec. 21, 2008
(offline)
Custard Trout
Mushroomcomix
Freakazoid was cool, but was also a blatant ripoff of Allred's Madman!!

Bullshit. Utter, utter bullshit. I'm a fan of both and I can't any similarities at all, besides that they have similar. . . ok, virtually identical costumes. After that there's nothing that ties the two together.

Wikipedia
Controversy with Mike Allred's Madman

This show and its lead character have been criticized as being plagiarism of the comic book Madman by the creator of Madman, Mike Allred. Both titular characters share several personality traits, and, according to Allred, wear similar costumes, both featuring a chest emblem of an exclamation mark (though Freakazoid's logo adds his initial F before the exclamation mark). During the short run of the show, Allred remained relatively silent on the subject. However, in 2003, he responded to a question about the show on the messageboard of his official website:
“ Bruce Timm was kind enough to tell me that Madman was a direct inspiration for the show–with comics open and referred to when developing the show.

Stupidly, I was flattered–happy to inspire anything. But when the show came out–with no acknowledgement or credit or any kind of compensation–I slowly became annoyed as everyone and their uncle confronted me with “there's this cartoon that's ripping off Madman” and "you outtah sue".

I simply wrote a friendly letter to Steven Spielberg telling him his production was a direct lift of my creation, I had no intention of creating ripples–I just wanted him to know that I knew. No one replied–which is fine. And to be honest, Madman is an amalgam of a half a dozen other influences. So who am I to complain (the exclamation mark on the chest still kindah urks me a little though. A little too close for comfort).

I am also a big fan of both Custard Trout, but credit should be given where it is due;) I own all the Madman Swag I can get my hands on…the Freakazoid DVDs where just released here and I am hoping for them for XMAS
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
Chernobog at 9:17PM, Dec. 21, 2008
(offline)
Hmm…

Metalocalypse is fun.

Family Guy is decent, although kind of hit and miss.

American Dad grew on me since the time I thought the first season was very ‘meh’.

Thundercats. Third Earth was the greatest world ever.

Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea. Anyone remember this in mid 1980 Nickelodeon line up? Very bizarre stuff. Reminded me a lot of ‘Journey to the Center of the Earth’.

Maya the Bee. I spent many happy mornings watching this adorable and intelligent children's cartoon. “Maaaya, Maya the Bee…” Maya inspired me a lot to my own creativity and early philosophies.

The Venture Brothers is probably my favorite show as of the last few years. It works on so many levels.

Gargoyles. Classic, great characterization and very original material, particularly for a Disney production. I don't acknowledge that pointless Goliath Chronicles season though.

The Maxx. I'm not kidding when I say this changed my life substantially. It's too much to put to words.

Dragonball. Ignoring DBZ, Dragonball is a cute quirky run that I still harbor fond tween memories of. It was also my induction into anime.

Daria. Kind of hit and miss at times, I overall liked the series and thought she was a good archetype for a bookish female protagonist who long outgrew her surroundings.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
Mushroomcomix at 6:15AM, Dec. 22, 2008
(offline)
Chernobog
The Venture Brothers is probably my favorite show as of the last few years. It works on so many levels.

It's my favorite show right now too! It's just so funny and well done!
Walrus at 6:31PM, Dec. 27, 2008
(online)
Good: Family Guy, The Simpsons, Johnny Bravo, Tom and Jerry, Wacky Races… Pretty much everything on the Boomerang station right now….

Bad: Chowder, Flapjack, Secret Saturdays, Batman:The Brave and the Bold, Ben 10 Alien Force, Spongebob,(the new season) Transformers Animated, that one thing on nick with the girl scout, + everything else on nick that's animated, that cartoon on Disney, everything else not mentioned on Cartoon Network…

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
Senshuu at 9:52PM, Dec. 27, 2008
(offline)
I remember liking classic Nicktoons and Cartoon Cartoons. All of them. What they have now mostly sucks.

Courage the Cowardly Dog is one of the most honest-to-goodness original cartoons ever. I love it.
seventy2 at 6:26AM, Dec. 28, 2008
(online)
bobby's world? anybody? howey mandel?

i dont have any that i keep up to date with. i normally go to streaming sites and watch it.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:29PM
Sea_Cow at 10:05AM, Dec. 28, 2008
(offline)
Wordweaver_three
Courage the Cowardly Dog is one of my favorite cartoons of all time, Scooby Doo was great until Scrappy came along and started pissing all over it. GARGOYLES! Think Goliath and Elisa ever got it on? You bet your sweet ass they did! Couldn't get more interracial then that! Cowboy Bebop is probably the best anime ever, followed closely by Outlaw Star with Big O taking third (Don't get the plot? That's ok, just wait for the big robot fight scene).

You are a cartoon-watching win machine.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
reidavidson at 2:17PM, Dec. 28, 2008
(offline)
Fairly Oddparents will, for some reason, always be in my heart. As well as Danny Phantom. I feel Danny Phantom helped revive the adventure animation just a little, cause I noticed since then, there's been a few new attempts.

Does anyone but me remember the Pirates of Darkwater? Ohman, sogood.

Spongebob is hit or miss with me but typically I giggle at it when there's nothing else on.

I still have a soft spot for The Simpsons though I don't think they'll be around much longer. I have an unfortunate addiction to Family Guy.

Venture Bros. ftw!

At first I hated Metalocalypse, but then I got to know it and we're friends now.

Superjail is… hypnotic, I don't even know.

Does Robot Chicken count?

hmm, what else…

Oh yeah. I thought I'd hate Total Drama Island but it ended up being a very gutsy satire on modern day society so it's a total win in my book. You can tell it was supposed to be for adults originally though. They've barely toned down the humor. I'm a little shocked sometimes.

I miss Powerpuff Girls but I get my fix with the Japanese anime version.

Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends is the ultimate. Yus. How I love it.

That's all I got off the top of my head.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:04PM
Mushroomcomix at 7:47PM, Dec. 30, 2008
(offline)
seventy2
bobby's world? anybody? howey mandel?

i dont have any that i keep up to date with. i normally go to streaming sites and watch it.

I remember that show and love it..I watched it on demand a while back and still laughted
Sea_Cow at 8:19PM, Dec. 30, 2008
(offline)
My God. Somehow, I forgot about motherfucking THUNDERCATS and MIGHTY MOTHERFUCKING DUCKS! Awesomeness gods, please forgive me.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
worstcase at 9:04PM, Dec. 30, 2008
(online)
What about KaBlam! ?

I loved that show. it had a bunch of shorts with Henry and June and the stinky diver and some other stuff.

My favorite was Action League Now!. Who could forget The Flesh or Meltman?

I miss it…
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM
martinlo_23 at 11:49AM, Dec. 31, 2008
(offline)
Sea_Cow
lba
Sea_Cow
Clearly, you've never really looked at Chowder. Like, I mean, really looked at it.

I've sat through plenty of episodes that the people in my buildings commons are always watching and I just couldn't appreciate the shrill voices, funky textures and lame duck humor. There just wasn't anything remarkable about it. Even cartoons like Spongebob or Angry Beavers have some level of inane silliness or grossness that makes them distinguishable.

No, man. I mean, like, reaaaalllly looked at it.

Here's a hint: There's reefer involved!

Agreed
DarkMartio rules.(That's me.) The cake is a lie. I heard u lieks mudkips.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:54PM
martinlo_23 at 11:59AM, Dec. 31, 2008
(offline)
Updated list:

Spongebob Squarepants
El Tigre
The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack
Chowder
The Fairy OddParents
Dinosaur King
etc…
Walrus at 4:50PM, Jan. 1, 2009
(online)
martinlo_23
Updated list:

Spongebob Squarepants —Eh…
El Tigre No
The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack —No
Chowder —No
The Fairy OddParents —Yes
Dinosaur King —Oh fuck no!
etc…

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
timethief at 6:42PM, Jan. 1, 2009
(offline)
My all- time favorite: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. Shaped most of my childhood and I'm actually collecting the DVDs.

And then, Thundercats, Silverhawks, Count Duckula, billy and Mandy, Powerpuff Girls, DC's animated universe, Jackie Chan Adventures, Swat Cats, teen Titans and Alpha Teens.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
Senshuu at 12:59PM, Jan. 3, 2009
(offline)
Oh yeah…

The three really crappy late 80s/early 90s Super Mario cartoons really shaped my childhood, along with Looney Tunes. XD I thought the Mario cartoon was canon since I watched it for years without knowing Mario was a freaking video game series. So I still think the cartoons have some canon to them……

(mama luigi)
martinlo_23 at 3:50PM, Jan. 3, 2009
(offline)
Senshuu
Oh yeah…

The three really crappy late 80s/early 90s Super Mario cartoons really shaped my childhood, along with Looney Tunes. XD I thought the Mario cartoon was canon since I watched it for years without knowing Mario was a freaking video game series. So I still think the cartoons have some canon to them……

(mama luigi)

(to you,mario)XD
martinlo_23 at 3:52PM, Jan. 3, 2009
(offline)
Walrus
martinlo_23
Updated list:

Spongebob Squarepants —Eh…
El Tigre No
The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack —No
Chowder —No
The Fairy OddParents —Yes
Dinosaur King —Oh fuck no!
etc…

………………………
I got mine you know
At least i dind say Barney!
ShinuZero at 9:12AM, Jan. 9, 2009
(online)
Defintely most of Bruce Timm's work. I love all the classic DCAU stuff.

Other than that I enjoyed

The Batman

TMNT 2k3

Ben 10:AF

All Hail Despotize!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM
Koshou at 9:39AM, Jan. 10, 2009
(offline)
The Powerpuff Girls!

They will never stop being cool in my mind.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
patrickdevine at 10:43AM, Jan. 10, 2009
(online)
I really like the ‘90’s Batman the Animated Series, that one Spawn animation, Earthworm Jim, Animaniacs, Gargoyles, the Simpsons and Futurama, also Beavis and Butt-head. If we're talking about web-animations too, Homestar Runner is funny. Also this: http://www.saraholeksyk.com/animation.html
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
usedbooks at 8:54PM, Jan. 10, 2009
(online)
I remember watching a lot of Muppet Babies as a kid. I don't remember much of anything I watched aside from Muppet Babies and those fairy tales told by a beaver on Nickelodeon.

I used to love any kind of adventure cartoons, like Tin-Tin, Ducktales, and The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest. I also loved Rocko's Modern Life and Invader Zim. I used to watch the Aladdin and Hercules series on the Disney Channel. I don't like most of what Disney made (especially the series), but I did enjoy those. – Oh, and Duckman.

As for “current” cartoons, I used to like The Simpsons, but it got old. I still love Futurama and have been buying the new ones. I like Fairly Odd Parents, especially the movies. I liked Avatar too (it reminded me of old adventure series).

If we're talking anime, I'm addicted to Detective Conan (Case Closed) and Lupin III. I buy any subtitled (even badly) Detective Conan thing I can find. I have all the Lupin III movies and most of the dubbed series (shame on me, but I love the dubbing of the series… it's hilarious). I also have the live action movies of both. I got into Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo and got a kick out of Get Backers.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
ozoneocean at 9:18PM, Jan. 10, 2009
(online)
Does anybody remember such greats as Professor Balthazar or Towser? Captain Pugwash?

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
Nergal at 9:38PM, Jan. 10, 2009
(offline)
God I feel old. A lot of the cartoons people are mentioning as classics were the cartoons that made me go “Man these are nothing like the classics” when they came out. I think Animaniacs was when I decided cartoons were going downhill. (Or I was growing up…no wait, I never grew up.)

Ah, Maya the Bee. I am told I loved that show but I don't remember it at all. Just the theme song. David the Gnome too. But Tom and Jerry was always my all time favorite.

I'd love to see Muppet Babies again!
Ah and that Papa Beaver show. I never watched it but it was okay I think.
I pretty much forced myself to like Richard Scarry's Busytown because I felt like I was the only one who watched it.

The list could go on and on.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:11PM
ozoneocean at 9:43PM, Jan. 10, 2009
(online)
Yeah, Maya was good.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
usedbooks at 4:40PM, Jan. 11, 2009
(online)
Oh, I just thought of another one. Rocky and Bullwinkle. I had to watch it “secretly” though because my sister thought it was beyond stupid and made fun of me for watching it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
ShinuZero at 8:00PM, Jan. 11, 2009
(online)
usedbooks
Oh, I just thought of another one. Rocky and Bullwinkle. I had to watch it “secretly” though because my sister thought it was beyond stupid and made fun of me for watching it.

Ahhh, nostalgia attack. Peabody and Sherman FTW!
All Hail Despotize!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved