Media Megaforum

Your Favorite Comic Book Movies...
Air Raid Robertson at 4:45PM, June 20, 2009
(online)
I'm sure this has been done here before, but why not do it again?

Here are a few of mine. This is by no means comprehensive, but I think it's best to only toss off a few names and then let other people have their turn.

Ghost World - I think this one is better than the source material. This may be because the screenplay was co-written by Dan Clowes, who authored the graphic novel in the first place. He and director Terry Zwigoff take the Ghost World story and expand it exceptionally. The end result is one of the best coming-of-age stories I've ever experienced. It has a great soundtrack, and the performances by Steve Buscemi and Thora Birch are terrific. (Scarlett Johansson is in this too, but she isn't really given enough to do)

A History of Violence - I've commented on this in another thread, but I also think that this movie is much better than the comic book. This is largely because the film expands the role of the main character's wife significantly. In the comic, the wife just kinda rolls over and plays ball once the husband's evil secret is revealed to her.

Her reaction in the movie feels a lot more true to me. Overall, the film is better paced and better written than the comic book too. (I'm not exactly the biggest Vince Locke fan in the universe either) The acting is powerful, and the cinematography is chilling.

Akira - I think this one deserves props at least for taking six phone books' worth of comic book and condensing it into an accessible film. I know that Akira has its detractors, but I myself am a fan of this movie. I like the themes and the characters. The voice acting is pretty good, and the animation quality is absolutely stunning.

Iron Man - This was a lot better than it had any right to be. Actually, it would've likely been exactly like every other superhero movie had it not been for Robert Downey Jr's magnetic performance as the lead. This movie had a lot of laughs and it was a blast to watch, which to me is priority one for superhero flicks. It kinda bugs me that most of the celluloid spandex features seem to think that the source material is based off a Chekhov play or something. Superheroes are supposed to be fun, dammit!

V For Vendetta - I know it's not saying much, but I think this is the best movie derived from an Alan Moore comic. From Hell and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen were terrible, and Watchmen pretty much copied the comic book while retaining little of its soul. It was like a movie version of Sparknotes, really.

V for Vendetta didn't do any of that. It wasn't perfect, but it translated a potentially dated concept to the War on Terror in an interesting way. They did a great job on portraying V, and Natalie Portman was shockingly effective as Evie. This one is worth another look if you haven't seen it yet.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm - By far the best Batman movie ever. I'm nuts about the Bruce Timm/ Paul Dini cartoon, and I consider Phantasm to be their masterstroke. The story is just so great. The shifting narrative, the strong characterization, the appropriately dark animation, and as always the terrific voice acting. (Especially Dana Delaney and Mark Hamill)

American Splendor - I don't know why I like Harvey Pekar's comics so much. In theory they sound awful. Just a bunch of short stories about boring, everyday crap like moving furniture and buying bread. But, well, when I finally read them I found myself shocked by how much I enjoyed them. Harvey Pekar has a sharp mind and a great talent for observation. He easily and repeatedly makes the mundane interesting.

I found myself a little iffy about the movie though. Could it translate a myriad of short pieces into a coherant whole? I mostly thought that it did. Paul Giamatti is a fantastic actor, and I thought it was a great move to get Pekar to do the narrative voice overs for the movie. The direction was top notch, particularly when they sequed animated versions of Harvey into the real life scenes. (No mean feat, that) American Splendor is a really warm and well executed film, and it's also a great introduction to Harvey Pekar's writing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
Dark Pascual at 9:18PM, June 20, 2009
(online)
I wouldn't be original, but I loved both Tim Burton's and Christopher Nolan's vertions of Batman, and I really think that they raised the bar for what comic book movies should be.

Also I liked both Iron Man and Incredible Hulk. Fun, action packed and tied to a possible Avengers movie.

Other great comic movies where both Superman and Superman II (specially Terence Stamp…KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!!!).

At last, I really liked both Sin City and 300 adaptations. Sin City because it had Rodriguez, Tarantin AND Alexis Bledel…and 300 had some awesome action.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
lastcall at 4:18AM, June 21, 2009
(offline)
I'm gonna have to agree with Air Raid about Iron Man and American Splendor. Both great movies in their own right. Downey & Giamatti both did a great job.

I also enjoyed Constantine (though I think they should have hired Billy Idol to play John instead of Keanu), Mystery Men and 300.

Art School Confidential was interesting and made me chuckle every now and again (good stereotyping of art school students), but the ending was a bit lacking.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
ozoneocean at 5:11AM, June 21, 2009
(online)
Well I liked these, not really because of how well they were adapted or any relationship between them and any comic sources material, but for the films themselves.

-Judge Dread.
It wasn't much like the comic and the funny stuff didn't fit, but I liked it as a sci-Fi film. And the ABC robot was awesome. And Stallone was a decent Dread, when the helmet was on. Max Von Sydow was good too :)

-Conan The Barbarian, Conan the Destroyer, Red Sonja.
Nicely done fantasy sword and sorcery films. I tend to think of the novels rather than the later comics in relation to the films, but my understanding was that the films happened because of the comics.
The first movie is the best one, with James Earl Jones as Thulsa Doom. Wow.
But then I liked Grace Jones in the second one and Wilt Chamberlain as the imposing Bombatta! Mako was perfect in the two Conan films, and Bridget Nielson was a hottie as Sonja.

-Tank Girl
Not much like the comic, but lovely in of itself as a nice little anarchic fun alternative flavoured film. Lori Pettie was HOT as TG. Too bad she didn't stay doing those sorts of roles, but she does seem to have tried to at least- Appearing in TG costume on the first episode of her short lived comedy series Lush Life (her characters there has the same disposition), and also in an episode of Star Trek Voyager.

-Batman the movie
The one form the 60's based on the fantastic TV series. It's so camp, it's beautiful! Many classic scenes and characters. Cesar Romero IS the definitive Joker.

-The Mask
Jim Carrie was good in this. Back then it seemed a sweetspot role for him where his idiot improvisation was nicely controlled, for once, but not TOO controlled… Just enough to be good. And before he became face-achingly serious and did that HORRIBLE thing that good comedy actors do… Become drama actors. (Tom Hanks, Robin Williams etc). The cartoonish CG elements fitted well, and the campy, happy tone of the film was welcome.

-Batman forever
This one was big and bright, a highly visual film. The story was of course silly and easily ignored, but the spectacular aesthetics more than made up for it. This was a gorgeously heroic spectacular of neon, high gloss plastic and latex!
Jim Carey sucked.

-Superman
Christopher Reeves was just plain perfect in this. Perfect soundtrack too. As Superman is the archetypal superhero, this is the archetypal superhero film.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
lastcall at 7:39AM, June 21, 2009
(offline)
I dunno, out of all the Batman movies, I think the Joel Schumacher ones suck the most. They were just too colorful and campy. Give me Batman (1989) or Batman Begins anyday.
ozoneocean at 9:54AM, June 21, 2009
(online)
Yeah, but like I said, it wasn't that important to me weather the movies had a good relationship to the comic or not. I loved that colourful, big, campy extravaganza! :)

Chernobog at 10:55AM, June 21, 2009
(offline)
The Conan flicks, 300, the first X-Men movie, and particularly, Iron Man. And barring what they did with Deadpool, I enjoyed the recent Wolverine movie.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
NickGuy at 4:33PM, June 21, 2009
(online)
woo! hahah *laugh…deep breath*

Speed Racer- The only movie to ever perfectly nail the tone, feel, and spirit of it's source material, IMO. every actor played their part perfectly. the serious people were serious when they needed to be, and the goofy people were goofy. when speed first pops the jump jacks, I screamed “YES!”. not to mention the movie is moving as all fucking hell. so many scenes and lines tear me up.

“no way…my brother is the best in the world. everyone else is racing for second”
“you wouldnt lie to your mother would you?” “never again”
“Because im so impossibly proud to be your mom”
and the line that gets me EVERY TIME…

“im looking forward to that cold milk”

i love the wachowskis

Batman Begins dark knight was a travesty IMO. but begins was a great year one esque story. Ninjas and cillian murphy FTW!

A History of violence just a great movie

The Spirit This movie was given a bad rap, it was actually very true to will eisners character. i love how frank is doing things that no one else is doing, and the way he sets up shots.

art school confidential an absolute great movie…i disagree with last call though, the ending was beautiful.

HULK Ang Lee is a great director, and the average movie goer was not expecting what he did with hulk…he made an intelligent movie with slick effects. ILM killed it on the SFX too, their hulk still looks better than the one in the recent movie. when hulk busts out of the water tank and yells, i defy you to tell me that hes not real. edward norton is not bruce banner, and liv tyler is NOT betty ross.

V for Vendetta it wasnt very faithfully adapted…in fact, its almost like a story that could take place inside the main story…but it was fun and enjoyable.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
HippieVan at 5:42PM, June 21, 2009
(online)
NickGuy
The Spirit This movie was given a bad rap, it was actually very true to will eisners character. i love how frank is doing things that no one else is doing, and the way he sets up shots.

Seriously? I went to see that but I honestly couldn't even sit through it. I left after 15 minutes or so. At that point, everything about it was bad! Unless it made some miraculous jump after that, I'm pretty sure I made the right choice.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Skullbie at 12:47AM, June 22, 2009
(online)
V for vendetta- Better than the source material hands down

300- Crazy and over the top, if you've seen the original you probably hated it, if not then it's gold

Iron man- so funny that hardly anyone gave a damn about iron man before this film, though they'd deny it.

Speed Racer-
One of the best endings I've seen in movie history, the second half makes up for the horrible first half.

the dark knight-
Awesome, modernized the comic and made you take the shitty corny villains seriously.

Sin city- I haven't seen the original comic i admit, but i love the movie to bits.

@Nickguy: The spirit, hulk, and batman begins? T_T might as well just throw Watchmen and catwoman in there…

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
lastcall at 4:02AM, June 22, 2009
(offline)
Yeah I notice that no one is mentioning Watchmen. I haven't seen it–is it that bad?
ozoneocean at 5:21AM, June 22, 2009
(online)
lastcall
Yeah I notice that no one is mentioning Watchmen. I haven't seen it–is it that bad?
I haven't seen it either (not that interested really), but from all the people I heard talking about it they thought it was pretty good. The only silly stuff I heard was about that blue guy having his penis on show, which I thought was hilarious until I saw the pics and then I thought, “oh, just a nude guy with an ordinary dick”, not very funny and or interesting. -_-

NickGuy at 3:09PM, June 22, 2009
(online)
Skullbie
@Nickguy: The spirit, hulk, and batman begins? T_T might as well just throw Watchmen and catwoman in there…

hulk was brilliant.

i wouldnt call the spirit brilliant, but its easily in my favorite comic book movies for just how goofy and balls to the wall it is, much like eisners comics.

and what was wrong with batman begins? it was way better than the over-preachy crapfest that was dark knight…without ledger that movie wouldnt even get looked twice at. batman cookie monster voice FTL. too many inconsistencies and implausabilities. begins nailed the tone of year one. and cmon…NINJAS

“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
NickGuy at 3:13PM, June 22, 2009
(online)
Skullbie
Speed Racer- One of the best endings I've seen in movie history, the second half makes up for the horrible first half.

the “horrible first half” is what makes the second half so brilliant. the wachowskis took their time, built everything up, and then paid it all off, wrapped up every thread, every line tied in, and all at such a breakneck pace it left you gasping and cheering and utterly happy. my favorite review line about speed racer comes from robert kirkman

Robert Kirkman
it was such an awesome movie…that if, leaving the theater, my friend turned to me and said “well that wasnt my favorite movie ever” i would have murdered him right there

DAJB at 10:31AM, June 24, 2009
(online)
You know the best thing about this question? Realising that, not so long ago, you could have counted the contenders on one hand!

There have been so many good comic book movies in the last ten years or so, we have been spoilt rotten!

I guess I'd plump for Batman Begins, Iron Man and X-Men 2.
Like Ozone, I also have a soft spot for Adam West's 1966 Batman and Christopher Reeves's Superman.
And, while the jury's still out, I still kind of believe Watchmen will get better with age. Maybe.

On the other side of the coin, I'd put 300 up there as my worst comic book movie of all time. Worse than Punisher. Worse than Ghost Rider. I think it might even be worse than Joel Schumacher's Batman and Robin!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
lastcall at 2:40PM, June 25, 2009
(offline)
DAJB
On the other side of the coin, I'd put 300 up there as my worst comic book movie of all time. Worse than Punisher. Worse than Ghost Rider. I think it might even be worse than Joel Schumacher's Batman and Robin!

Yikes, that's a pretty bold statement there–what didn't you like about it? I thought it was beautiful to look at; visually stunning. (especially on Blu-Ray on an HD TV screen…)
Hawk at 3:50PM, June 25, 2009
(online)
I didn't like 300 either, but yeah, that is a pretty bold claim. Worse than Howard the Duck?

What I didn't like about 300 was its complete lack of subtlety and restraint. If they could show something, they did… and way too much. The excessive objectionable content became its selling point, and that stuff unfortunately doesn't impress me much. Story does.

Unfortunately, the story held a little to close to the “Braveheart” formula, something I got tired of years ago. This pretty much just left the visuals, which were admittedly pretty good… although I even got tired of muscly, nearly-naked men. Ew, put something on.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
DAJB at 11:32PM, June 25, 2009
(online)
lastcall
DAJB
Yikes, that's a pretty bold statement there–what didn't you like about it? I thought it was beautiful to look at; visually stunning.
It was beautiful to look at, I'll give you that! But, for me, that was its only redeeming feature.
(i) The script was atrocious. Not one line sounded like the kind of thing a real person might say. The characters' motivations were perfunctory and ham-fisted. Describing something as a “comic book movie” used to be an insult meaning that everything in it was two-dimensional and badly plotted. 300 was the very definition of that, with every line sounding like a sound-bite written to be squeezed into a comic panel.
(ii) The lack of historical accuracy was laughable. Obviously it's not essential for a movie like this to be accurate and, to some extent, a film-maker has to take liberties with the facts. But, when the writing in every other department is so poor, it's difficult not to conclude that Miller just couldn't be bothered to check his facts.
(iii) The acting was terrible. I suspect this is the fault of the script again (I loved Lena Heady in Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles!) but I simply couldn't care whether any of the characters lived or died.
(iv) The direction was amateurish. I know he wanted to protect the integrity of his work, but Frank Miller can not direct and should leave that to those who know what they're doing. Like pop stars who, because they're famous, get cast in starring roles before they've really learned how to act, Frank Miller's lack of movie experience shows. It's directed like the worst kind of Michael Bay movie with a weakly-plotted story, scant regard for pacing and no characterisation, relying solely on a succession of visually stunning special effects sequences.

Hawk
Worse than Howard the Duck?
Maybe on a par with! ;-)

Anyway, this is getting dangerously off topic! Since this thread is supposed to be about favourite comic book movies, I'll add another to my list: Men in Black. So good that no one who didn't already know would ever guess that it had even been a comic!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
ozoneocean at 12:39AM, June 26, 2009
(online)
Yeah, I liked Men in Black too.

And I thought that Howard the Duck was great. SO there. :)

Another Three:

Annie-
Although that was based on a musical, it actually used to be a comic. It's a lovely period movie, and the fact that it went from comic to musical to movie back then says a lot for the original work. :)
-The sequel sucked -_-

Popeye-
SO cool! LOVED this. Robin Williams as popeye was PERFECT as were all the other actors in their roles. Brilliant comic based film.

Fatty Finn-
This was an Australian film, based on a kid's newspaper comic from the 20's or 30's. It really brings that early period alive, it was a solid kids film with mostly child actors, very engaging, quite enjoyable.

skoolmunkee at 1:56AM, June 26, 2009
(online)
Another comic movie not yet mentioned that I enjoyed is Road to Perdition.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
ttyler at 7:46AM, June 26, 2009
(online)
Sin City, Spider-man 2, Iron man, Ghost world, 300, Crumb are some of my favs. Speed Racer, although not what I had envisioned it to be, looked fantastic for sure. My biggest letdown was Fantastic four……how could you mess up so bad??? They had the blueprints that were left by Jack and Stan,…..and still, they completely screwed it up………ugh.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:34PM
ttyler at 7:48AM, June 26, 2009
(online)
oh, and American Splendor was great. gotta love Pekar.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:34PM
patrickdevine at 9:10AM, June 26, 2009
(online)
lastcall
It's not bad actually. If you go in wanting to see an action movie it's pretty good. It doesn't bring anything to the table that the comic didn't and the characterizations were simplified down and it sort of suffered for it.

I'll second Batman Mask of The Phantasm. It was cool for how it approached Bruce Wayne making the decision to become Batman and how meeting Andrea complicated that.
I'll second Tank Girl as well, it was just so crazy and ridiculous I loved it!
Ghost World though? Honestly I'm maybe one of two or three people that liked the comic better. Just something about demoting a main character to supporting character doesn't set well with me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
lastcall at 2:37PM, June 26, 2009
(offline)
ozoneocean
Annie-
Although that was based on a musical, it actually used to be a comic. It's a lovely period movie, and the fact that it went from comic to musical to movie back then says a lot for the original work. :)

Aw man, I love Annie. So much fun to watch, even now. :)

ozoneocean
Popeye-
SO cool! LOVED this. Robin Williams as popeye was PERFECT as were all the other actors in their roles. Brilliant comic based film.

Yeah that's one of my husband's favorite movies. I dunno, I could never get into that one. I think it might have been better without the musical numbers, but that's just me…
NickGuy at 5:35PM, June 26, 2009
(online)
DAJB
(ii) The lack of historical accuracy was laughable. Obviously it's not essential for a movie like this to be accurate and, to some extent, a film-maker has to take liberties with the facts. But, when the writing in every other department is so poor, it's difficult not to conclude that Miller just couldn't be bothered to check his facts.
(iii) The acting was terrible. I suspect this is the fault of the script again (I loved Lena Heady in Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles!) but I simply couldn't care whether any of the characters lived or died.
(iv) The direction was amateurish. I know he wanted to protect the integrity of his work, but Frank Miller can not direct and should leave that to those who know what they're doing. Like pop stars who, because they're famous, get cast in starring roles before they've really learned how to act, Frank Miller's lack of movie experience shows. It's directed like the worst kind of Michael Bay movie with a weakly-plotted story, scant regard for pacing and no characterisation, relying solely on a succession of visually stunning special effects sequences.

1.) if the historical accuracy bothered you, then you must have not liked the graphic novel either. this was something that you either accepted or hated, it was said up front that miller took heavy historical liberty with this story.

2.) miller didnt direct this, mr “dawn of the dead/watchmen” zack snyder did. but i agree, they made leonidas a testosterone fueled “gladiator” screamer when int he comic he was calm and collected. like the line “THIS IS SPARTA!” should NOT have been screamed.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
Splash Damage at 1:37AM, June 27, 2009
(online)
V for Vendetta is by far my favorite.

-Darrel
drunkduck.com/splash_damage
Updating Again.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved