Comic Talk and General Discussion *

YOUR Mars Colony: How would you do it?
Fuzzy Modem at 3:45PM, Oct. 2, 2007
(online)
This is your chance to create a world they way you want it.

Teraforming method and Colony location- How and where? Check out this page for ideas-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Mars

Colonists- Who will you bring?
Laws and Government- What kind of society would you like to live in?
Monetary System- Money can't buy everything it's true…
Military/Defense- One or both.
Logistics- Energy, transportation, housing, labor etc - Those pesky details…

For my own colony:

Fuzzy Modem
Teraforming method and Colony location: I favor the extra

thick atmosphere approach, first on a small scale, with the help of

genetically engineered high light absorbtion lichen to alter the

visual albedo for the initial colony area, and then on to the rest of

the planet and the melting of the ice caps. It will mean a lot of

overcast and windy days, but it seems the best way around the

magnetosphere problem. A colony at the base of the Valles Marineris

would be ideal, with wind power stations above the lip of the canyon

wall.

Colonists: Only Agnostics or Atheistic pacifists. You guys can

keep your violent religions. We won't need them. Good health and

intelligence a must. Race and sexual orientation unimportant.

Laws and Government: Violence of any kind (including the

corporal punishment of children) will be forbidden. Punishment for

repeat offenders will be banishment from the colony, but I believe

that after a few generations acts of violence will become virtually a

non-issue.

Unrestricted procreation will be unlawful. Birth control will be

mandatory. This will be less important in the initial stages of

colonization, as we will need to rapidly increase our population, but

the system must be in place for future generations, as a teraformed

mars will have only 25% of Earth's available land mass.

Drug use will be legal only for organic drugs. Synthetic drugs will

be strictly regulated.

The government will be a Meritocracy consisting of 1% of the overall

population. Government officials will be nominated by the outgoing

administration and elected by popular vote. All politicians must take

a vow of poverty before accepting office. Any law changing decision

would require a 2/3 majority vote.

Personal legal disputes will be settled by means of a point system

(similar to the way child support is computed.)

Monetary System: Barter augmented by another point system. The

government will define this point system for all commodities. While

simple barter will be encouraged, anything can be purchased or

exchanged for it's point value. Government subsidies will be

available, but only for those whose overall assets are below a

certain point value. Subsides granted will be equal to deficit amount

, and will be drawn from the assets surrendered by government

officials. Possession for the sake of possession will be discouraged.

Gambling will be illegal.

Military/Defense: Due to the extra thick (and highly

volatile) atmosphere no space vessels will be able to enter (or

leave) the atmosphere once teraforming is complete. Isolation is a

high cost to pay for protection from you pesky earthlings, but I

think it's worth it.

Logistics: As simple as we can keep it, at least for the first

few hundred years. We'll walk where we need to go, grow what we need

to eat, live in cheap efficient housing, and work 30hrs a week

(assisted by robotics.) Technology will be studied and expanded

upon, but the average citizen will live much as American settlers did

a hundred years ago, minus the gunslinging and poor grammar :p

So that's how I would do it. Howabout you?

I've given up following my dreams. I just asked where they're going and I'm gonna meet them there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:32PM
marine at 3:53PM, Oct. 2, 2007
(offline)

Teraforming method and Colony location- I'd use magic taken from the great old ones.

Colonists- Only the best and brightest will be allowed in Latveria.

Laws and Government- Totalitarian dictatorship with capital punishment as well as public humiliation for minor offenses. I would so bring back putting enemies heads on spikes.

Monetary System- We would use a form of currency stronger than the American Dollar, the euro, and moon money.

Military/Defense- Obviously robots. Nobody can fuck with robots. Big ones. With lasers.

Logistics- Energy, transportation, housing, labor etc - Energy would be derived from radiation from the sun. Transportation uses some type of faggy hybrid car system, but instead of in cars, lets put it in jet packs. Everyone will live in communal housing. We will use slave labor as well as sweat shops. We're going to be the new place to outsource labor to, and even cheaper than quality than china!

I would rule my planet dressed as Snake Plisskin.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
therealtj at 4:33PM, Oct. 2, 2007
(online)
marine
Teraforming method and Colony location- I'd use magic taken from the great old ones.

Laws and Government- Totalitarian dictatorship with capital punishment as well as public humiliation for minor offenses. I would so bring back putting enemies heads on spikes.

Monetary System- We would use a form of currency stronger than the American Dollar, the euro, and moon money.

Military/Defense- Obviously robots. Nobody can fuck with robots. Big ones. With lasers.

Logistics- Energy, transportation, housing, labor etc - Energy would be derived from radiation from the sun. Transportation uses some type of faggy hybrid car system, but instead of in cars, lets put it in jet packs. Everyone will live in communal housing. We will use slave labor as well as sweat shops. We're going to be the new place to outsource labor to, and even cheaper than quality than china!

Your world sounds great! But how come I imagine it as a burning village dead bodys lining the streets?

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
-Douglas Adams, The Restaurant At the End of the Universe
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
Glarg at 5:06PM, Oct. 2, 2007
(offline)
Teraforming method and Colony location- Melt the Icecaps on mars, releasing frozen water and frozen carbon Dioxide, Then send over plants from earth and produce air on the planet (Also certain plankton to be set into the water to produce air), colony will start where the plants are planted, water continuously being shipped to the planet to keep it thriving. Plants keep on growing and eventually enough will be grown to use and make buildings out of.
Colonists- People who have passed a test on earth to see if they have the mental capacity, endurance, and strength to survive on the newly planted semi-wasteland. People who won't screw up the environment like on this planet, people who will keep growing crops to keep the air flowing on the planet.
Laws and Government- Democracy, a true democracy, one all the people can vote on not just a selected group of individuals like this. absolutely no leader.
Monetary System- Trading, Not money. Like trade a few chickens for a pig, or do manual labor for some food.
Military/Defense- Create a planet defense committee to explode incoming meteors with rockets or bombs or lasers.
Logistics-
Energy: Nuclear
Transportation: Supplies will be transferred from earth to mars Via Plutonium powered rockets.
Housing: Build out of the trees or make clay huts out of the Mars sand/clay.
Labor: Everybody works in order to make a living, alls fair.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:37PM
marine at 12:19AM, Oct. 3, 2007
(offline)
therealtj
marine

Your world sounds great! But how come I imagine it as a burning village dead bodys lining the streets?

There would be conversion of dead bodies into food tablets for the people of Latveria.
therealtj at 7:00AM, Oct. 3, 2007
(online)
marine
therealtj
marine

There would be conversion of dead bodies into food tablets for the people of Latveria.

Ahh, and I suppose constant burning would keep the people warm?

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
marine at 7:06AM, Oct. 3, 2007
(offline)
Absolutely!
kingofsnake at 7:13AM, Oct. 3, 2007
(online)
Fuzzy Modem
Colonists: Only Agnostics or Atheistic pacifists. You guys can

keep your violent religions. We won't need them. Good health and

intelligence a must. Race and sexual orientation unimportant.

Whats it like being a bigot?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
TheMidge28 at 7:20AM, Oct. 3, 2007
(online)
Just a thought but would this thread be better suited for forum games?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:21PM
therealtj at 7:32AM, Oct. 3, 2007
(online)
TheMidge28
Just a thought but would this thread be better suited for forum games?

Oh, CRAP no. Then the worlds would be taken directly from the megaman/star-trek fansite(s)

Ozoneocean at 9:35AM, Oct. 3, 2007
(online)
Forum games? I dunno, it's much like the zombie war thread and the weapon thread etc… Just fantasy riffing and the usual forum comedy, no competition element or sequential theme. Games need those.

I love Marine's Snake Pliskin thing and the moon money. That place sounds awesome, but unfair. I wasn't going to go for a military option, since there shouldn't be a needed normally, but if my colony is on the same planet as Marine's I'll have to mount an invasion to steal his Snake gear, and try and get my hands on some moon money!
I will bring “Freedom” to your people!

My colony will be underground in the polar regions. We'll have power from thousands of huge, dirty, old fashioned, uranium powered fission reactors. Using the water in the icecaps (if there is any?), we'll make all our air etc. the reactors will provide us enough energy to run our massive underground farms… They'll also provide us with abundant energy to power our gigantic land based laser turrets, and through the use of our global satellite system of reflector there will be nowhere on the planet out of our reach!! We will also have other laser satellites and robot jet and helicopter drones with bombs, rockets, missiles and autocannon.

My people will be religious zealots, which I will control easily since I'm the one who invented their religion… But they'll be nice people anyway, apart from the bald heads and the nudity. That'll be a regrettable aspect, but religious zealots must have their little foibles. ;)
We won't need money. They're zealots, hairless nudist zealots! They'll do what they do because their god wills it! (tehe). All laws will also be based on the “god says” system. -like “Simon says” except with stiffer penalties.

Once we invade Marine's colony, we'll shave his people's heads and burn their clothes. They will be our new class of under-zealots, they will do the boring and the smelly jobs. I will keep their moony money to play with and Marine will act out “escape from New York” for me and a few trusted lady zealots every night on a specially constructed set deep underground.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
Fuzzy Modem at 1:29PM, Oct. 3, 2007
(online)
kingofsnake
Whats it like being a bigot?

Come now- you and I both no that there is no place for us Martians in heaven. How about asking the Christians if they would take Muslims along?

-No, we deserve a planet of our own. Scripture doesn't say a damn thing about Mars. Human religion is decidedly earth-centric. You can keep it, but let us have our own planet :p

You'll note I don't care about race or sexual orientation- I just want a clean slate. We don't need all the dogmatic entanglements that have hobbled human culture for so long.

I've given up following my dreams. I just asked where they're going and I'm gonna meet them there.
Ozoneocean at 1:38PM, Oct. 3, 2007
(online)
Fuzzy Modem
You'll note I don't care about race or sexual orientation
Well I don't mind as long as my lady zealots are ozone-sexual, we'll all get along fine.
kingofsnake at 2:57PM, Oct. 3, 2007
(online)
Fuzzy Modem
No one with opinions other than my own is allowed in my perfect society. All Christians are just like Jerry Falliwell.

Let me ask you this, Adolf. What happens when the child of one of your Athiest couples decides he's going to worship Judaism all on his own? Are you going to deport him? Or will you make him live in a camp?
Ozoneocean at 3:08PM, Oct. 3, 2007
(online)
kingofsnake
Are you going to deport him? Or will you make him live in a camp?
I vote for brainwashing. Helps retains valuable manpower.
Fuzzy Modem at 4:34PM, Oct. 3, 2007
(online)
kingofsnake
Fuzzy Modem
No one with opinions other than my own is allowed in my perfect society. All Christians are just like Jerry Falliwell.

Let me ask you this, Adolf. What happens when the child of one of your Athiest couples decides he's going to worship Judaism all on his own? Are you going to deport him? Or will you make him live in a camp?

Interesting. You're actually going to the trouble of manually misquoting me. How wonderfully uncouth.

All religious texts will be on file for historical referance, and if anyone wants to try out religion, who am I to stop them? I want to start with a clean slate. After that, people can do whatever they want. I don't pretend to have all the answers to life, the universe, and everything. (42)

That being said, I find it rather unlikely that a child raised in an agnostic society would turn to religion, and if he/she did it would most likely be to rebel against mom and dad, and would probably wear off by the end of puberty. And if it didn't >shrug< there is always the odd percentage in any society, like I'm sure there are a few Chinese Mormons, but I don't see god worshiping taking off in an advanced society without the centuries of ignorance that reinforce it here on Earth.

Glarg at 4:38PM, Oct. 3, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
kingofsnake
Are you going to deport him? Or will you make him live in a camp?
I vote for brainwashing. Helps retains valuable manpower.
Torture is a valuable method aswell. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:37PM
Fuzzy Modem at 9:31PM, Oct. 3, 2007
(online)
I don't wanna hijack this thread. Here is a link to a new one I opened->

http://www.drunkduck.com/community/view_topic.php?cid=241&tid=34852&pid=438939#438939

marine at 11:08PM, Oct. 3, 2007
(offline)
Ozone, perhaps you didn't read the part I wrote about the massive bubble shield and automated defense turrets. Anything gets in 500 yards of those things, laser beams hit them.

Magic lasers.

In the genitals.

And viscera…
Ozoneocean at 2:50AM, Oct. 4, 2007
(online)
marine
Ozone, perhaps you didn't read the part I wrote about the massive bubble shield and automated defense turrets. Anything gets in 500 yards of those things, laser beams hit them.
Even other laser beams? Naw, my orbital laser satellite reflectors are well outside of detection range. Your bubble is burst man.

Dance snake! Dance!
kingofsnake at 6:19AM, Oct. 4, 2007
(online)
My mars base will have highly educated people of all different beliefs. The level of conversation will be very high and via dialogue we will make new discoveries in the nature of man, and create the greatest new works of art, music, and fiction.

But I won't allow people of different races or sexual orientation. Only Bisexual Asian chicks.
shaneronzio at 3:24AM, Oct. 6, 2007
(online)
Have the presidential administration Blow up a building in New York, claim it was the Martians, say that they have weapons of Mass Destruction…go there, pay an actor to be the Leader of mars, have “special ops troops” find him, parade him in front of the media…execute him before he talks, set up massive Oil drilling project…raise gas prices back on earth (even though oil is really dirt cheap and the market prices are grossly exagerated) and take away the public freedom for its own protection.

Next…Bann the internet to silence any free thinkers.

Oh and always show celebrity whores on drugs as a Media Smoke Screen until you get the job done.

;)

Current Project:CROSS WORLDS NEXUS
Updates Monday, Wenzday & FRIDAY
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
Poke Alster at 9:32AM, Oct. 30, 2007
(offline)
shaneronzio
Have the presidential administration Blow up a building in New York, claim it was the Martians, say that they have weapons of Mass Destruction…go there, pay an actor to be the Leader of mars, have “special ops troops” find him, parade him in front of the media…execute him before he talks, set up massive Oil drilling project…raise gas prices back on earth (even though oil is really dirt cheap and the market prices are grossly exagerated) and take away the public freedom for its own protection.

Next…Bann the internet to silence any free thinkers.

Oh and always show celebrity whores on drugs as a Media Smoke Screen until you get the job done.

That world doesnt sound that good yano
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
ShadowDion at 7:33PM, Nov. 3, 2007
(offline)
Teraforming method and Colony location- i would have it be terraformed by starving monkeys, and tempt them with bananas.
Colonists- women. lots of women.
Laws and Government- COMMUNISM!
Monetary System- wompum
Military/Defense- spears
Logistics- everyman for himself, only the strong survive and the weak are eaten by monkeys.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon