Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Your worst fashion mistakes?
Ozoneocean at 3:14PM, Nov. 7, 2006
(online)
Heh, this idea just popped into my head… Surely everybody's got some embarrassing stories to tell about a bad haircut or something stupid they used to wear?

One of my worst ones happened while I was in highschool… I had fairly long hair, but I just didn't think it looked cool enough, so I decided to take matters into my own hands: One night I shaved off all the hair on one side of my head, with scissors! I cut as close as I could, using a mirror to guide me. Oh I thought I looked SO groovy when I was finished. :)
…It made my parents VERY angry at me… And NO ONE else thought I looked cool at all, in fact most people thought I looked like a mental patient, some people thought I actually was a mental patient!
I had people come up and ask me kindly weather I had been in an accident and had an operation on a head injury. I'm not joking!

So you could say that style wasn't really much of a success… Still, I didn't shave the rest to match it, I left my roughly cut botched job the way it was and stuck with my mistake until it had grown back to match the other side.

…So that's one story from me, anybody else?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:24PM
kyupol at 3:40PM, Nov. 7, 2006
(online)
I went to the movie house in shorts (that looked like underwear), slippers, and a faded shirt. I became a center of attention for awhile. And man it was embarrassing. But… I did it for $500. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
Tantz_Aerine at 5:16PM, Nov. 7, 2006
(online)
I wore a fedora hat. Like Indiana Jones type fedora hat. In college. I was known as ‘the girl in the hat’ for two semesters. I thought it was cool at the time (and it was rather practical during the irregularities of the weather in fall) and people saw it as me being weird like every psychology student was cliched to be.

I grew out of it eventually- however nobody looked at me as if I was out of the nuthouse. Perhaps because pretty soon after my phase had ended, everyone started wearing these odd gnome-like hats that had a bell at the dangling edge. *laughs*
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
Generic Human at 5:19PM, Nov. 7, 2006
(online)
Tantz Aerine
I wore a fedora hat. Like Indiana Jones type fedora hat. In college. I was known as ‘the girl in the hat’ for two semesters. I thought it was cool at the time (and it was rather practical during the irregularities of the weather in fall) and people saw it as me being weird like every psychology student was cliched to be.

I grew out of it eventually- however nobody looked at me as if I was out of the nuthouse. Perhaps because pretty soon after my phase had ended, everyone started wearing these odd gnome-like hats that had a bell at the dangling edge. *laughs*

Fedoras are the best. I wear mine every now and again. They're back in style.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
Whirlwynd at 5:29PM, Nov. 7, 2006
(online)
I always used to wear odd things. Still do, actually, but at least I only hear compliments.

The most ridiculous thing had to have been my glasses in middle school. They were HUGE. I wouldn't wear smaller glasses because I hated seeing the space around the rim and the prongs that usually set on the nose. Now I look at pictures of myself wearing those gigantic glasses and I can't stop laughing.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
Aurora Moon at 5:34PM, Nov. 7, 2006
(offline)
Whirlwynd
I always used to wear odd things. Still do, actually, but at least I only hear compliments.

The most ridiculous thing had to have been my glasses in middle school. They were HUGE. I wouldn't wear smaller glasses because I hated seeing the space around the rim and the prongs that usually set on the nose. Now I look at pictures of myself wearing those gigantic glasses and I can't stop laughing.

I'm the same way.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
CZweig at 5:36PM, Nov. 7, 2006
(online)
I once wore a baggy, velour, red turtleneck with tight blue leggings with yellow flowers. Yeah, that's my worst, but still, it makes me want to gag.

Of course, I was nine at the time, but still.

Yep, that's all I've got. I'm a girl, and an extremely femmy one at that; I'm very picky about my appearance.
hi
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
BigFishComic at 6:53PM, Nov. 7, 2006
(offline)
I wore stretchy pants and a gigantic t-shirt TUCKED INTO MY STRETCHY PANTS (!) all through my elementary school and possibly even jr. high years. Then I moved on to baggy jeans and gigant t-shirts all through high school which wasn't much of an improvement…I flashed a lotta panty when I lifted my arms over my head and my pants were falling.

Then college hit and I couldn't take all the peer-pressure to conform any longer so I caved and now I dress like a normal girl most of the time. Boy, those stretchy pants…those were the days.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:22AM
subcultured at 6:57PM, Nov. 7, 2006
(online)
i bought too many expensive clothes
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
skoolmunkee at 1:12AM, Nov. 8, 2006
(offline)
In middle school I wore the stretchy leggings with flats and a giant sweater. That was one of the fashions at the time though so I think it was okay. I shudder to think of it now though.

Also in middle school I always wore this big hair clip in my hair. Think of the big hinged clam type clips with alligator teeth that women use now to twist their hair up in the back and hold it. I wore one of those for ages - except just to tug up all the hair on one side, like some kind of super-extreme hair clip or something.

I think middle school is the roughest on fashion. Kids know there's such a thing as fashion but they don't really understand it. They know they want to be kind of different but not TOO different, and they don't realize which things actually do and don't flatter them.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:39PM
Chameloncholic at 1:32AM, Nov. 8, 2006
(online)
My vintage brown leather bomber jacket in the final year of highschool. I thought it was the bees knees, everyone else called me biggles.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
Darth Mongoose at 2:25AM, Nov. 8, 2006
(online)
I had these multicoloured lycra cycling gloves that I thought were really cool and wanted to wear all the time when I was about 11 or so. Luckily mum would tell me to take them off because it looked silly.

One time, when I was about 14, I bought these trousers with embroidery around the hem. I thought they were really cool, but at the time I hadn't noticed that they were actually meant to be cropped trousers, they just came down to my ankles like normal trousers because I'm short (I'm only about 5'1" now, I was even smaller back then). Needless to say, the cut of them looked totally ridiculous. Shame since the embroidery was so nice…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
Mark at 4:36AM, Nov. 8, 2006
(offline)
I used to wear dogtags on occasion and a beanie, or bandana, or bandana AND beanie at the same time pulled down so low that it blocked half my vision. That was paired with one of those chains that attach to your waller and hang down the side of your pants. The whole look was brought together with the baggiest jeans and t-shirt I could find. The t-shirt was sometimes paired with an overshirt. That was when I was 13 year old poser. If I could go back in time, I'd probably shoot myself (in the leg to prevent death) for looking so stupid.

To my defense it was more of a numetal inspired look than a hip-hop inspired look.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:54PM
Tantz_Aerine at 5:19AM, Nov. 8, 2006
(online)
Generic Human
Tantz Aerine

Fedoras are the best. I wear mine every now and again. They're back in style.

I know… I was ahead of my time, it seems. *chuckles* However, it is true the hat still comes in handy when it snows or it is too windy and chilly :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
Knuckles at 6:56AM, Nov. 8, 2006
(offline)
Um… I have no fashion sense?

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
Keffria at 6:03PM, Nov. 8, 2006
(online)
Two words: stirrup pants. My childhood was a disaster of terrible fashion fads.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:14PM
Mimarin at 6:12PM, Nov. 8, 2006
(offline)
You seen my hair? it becomes a fashion mistake every few years, but it eventually gets cool again. Afro for the win.
Of course you will. All intelligent beings dream. Nobody knows why.

Also, tell random people they are awsome! it helps!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
Jillers at 6:17PM, Nov. 8, 2006
(offline)
Funnily enough the only time I've ever had fashion mistakes were when I tried to dress mainstream - see, I can't really give you an example, but the easiest way for me to explain it is this (and this is all retrospectivly):
Since I didn't know where I fit in, I took my fashion cues from my much thinner friends - which, isn't really an issue that they were much thinner, it's just a point to explain that while they could buy clothes in Aeropastel and The Banana Republic, I could not - so I settled for the closest I could get to their style, while buying off of the Sears sales racks.
Of course, I also don't believe in trying clothes on.
Add to that, I don't really have an eye for conservative fashion asthetic, and you get someone who looks pretty damn awkward wearing normal looking clothes that just don't match.

However, I found out in college that I can pull off weird shit like nobody's business. Which is good, because I like weird shit.

My teenage years were very awkward.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
Terminal at 7:21PM, Nov. 8, 2006
(online)
Hmm, fashion mistakes? (I buy clothes at Target, I don't care.)

I would have some, but all the shirts and pants I own are black (maybe gray.)

People do say my hair is a huge fashion mistake.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:10PM
subcultured at 7:34PM, Nov. 8, 2006
(online)
i used to wear fake oakley glasses
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
PinkDiapers at 10:24PM, Nov. 8, 2006
(online)
When I was first starting high school I tried trimming my own split ends in the mirror. I did the “cut wile up in a ponytail thing” and ended up with a totally different length on one side of my head then the other. I won't even mention what I did to my bangs. I still have nightmares.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
Ozoneocean at 12:03AM, Nov. 9, 2006
(online)
Chameloncholic
My vintage brown leather bomber jacket in the final year of highschool. I thought it was the bees knees, everyone else called me biggles.
That jacket sounds pretty groovy Bggles!

-Skool's right though, what you do in school is where it ‘matters’ to you most… Outside of that we usually just don't care as much, if at all, what other's think. Unless you're that sort of person, or you're obsessed with ‘fitting in’ still. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:24PM
Generic Human at 1:22PM, Nov. 9, 2006
(online)
Chameloncholic

I too, have a brown leather bomber that I've worn every year. I know it's not good looking too. It's far too large on me, the zipper is broken, and the inside lining is gone, the pockets all have holes, and since the inside lining is gone…everything falls straight out onto the ground. But I love it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
doomscorpion1992 at 1:52PM, Nov. 10, 2006
(offline)
there was one point when i wore hawaiian shirts with dragon patterns on them, this was a couple of years ago and i still have them (and they still fit, one is firey, the other is thundery). i paired them with jeans that fall down every few steps because i didn't have a belt (i wear those still sometimes, i wear belts with them now though).

that's actually one of my better fashion mistakes, i'll keep you guys updated if i find any more in my wardrobe (or photo album of a young me).

Also, back before i was burned (i was about 4 at the time) I had a tartan jacket, i burned myself in it. needless to say, i try and steer clear of tartan (or anything that resembles tartan) since i feel the pain every time i see that tartan (the same pattern as my old jacket)

nowadays, i wear Blue, Black, white or red (and sometimes the occasional Yellow, whenever i go to the Football*)

*BRITISH ALERT- americans know it as soccer
1|= U (4|| R33|) 7|-|15, U ||33|) 70 G37 4 L1|=3
DANMIT! i changed again
Top Drawer Fence-Sitter.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:13PM
Rich at 9:04PM, Nov. 10, 2006
(online)
Apparently I wear too much pink and purple for a guy. :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
tea_green at 10:58PM, Nov. 10, 2006
(online)
Rich
Apparently I wear too much pink and purple for a guy. :(

Naw, you know pink is the new black. If it's okay for rappers, it's okay for you.

I used to wear nothing but oversized t shirts and the ‘mom’ jeans with the elastic and keep them hiked up to my waist. Top that off with a black trenchcoat and there you go, a disaster. I also hate when I were a dress and the underwear don't match ‘cause that’s the time when I end up accidentally flashing someone.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:08PM
Mark at 4:04AM, Nov. 11, 2006
(offline)
wow borats invaded DD. Damm Khazakstanis
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:54PM
doomscorpion1992 at 5:36AM, Nov. 11, 2006
(offline)
yay! Khazakstanis!
but i'm british so that was just a randm comment that popped out of my keyboard.

Borat, you never know, he could actually be in Uzbekhistan, the internet is World Wide, people from every single freaking country goes on it! Dutch, German, French, British (like me), Uzbekhistanis, Khazakstanis, pakistanis, the list goes on.
(notice the rhyming pattern after British)
DANMIT! i changed again
Top Drawer Fence-Sitter.
Ian Jay at 6:18PM, Nov. 11, 2006
(offline)
Back in second through fifth grade, I used to wear sweatpants and sweatshirts. A lot. And I had glasses, a bowl cut, and a little extra weight. The overall effect was, while not hideous, pretty unpleasant (or so I'm told). Much like Mark, if I could go back in time, I would probably give myself a stiff pinch, then hand myself a pair of contacts and some carpenter jeans. And a gym membership. And another stiff pinch.

People say that fashion shouldn't matter, that people should be judged by their personality and character rather than by what they wear. And they're right. But the fact still remains that style and presentation is an essential element of success, and fashion is essentially pre-designed packaging and advertising for individuals. In the morning, after you dress but before you leave the house, take a look in the mirror and ask: What do your clothes say about yourself?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
doomscorpion1992 at 11:50AM, Nov. 13, 2006
(offline)
what you wear can get people to be interested in your personality, sad but true!
DANMIT! i changed again
Top Drawer Fence-Sitter.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon