Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

YUPO
Aghammer at 9:37AM, Aug. 14, 2009
(offline)
Hey, I picked up a pad of this YUPO “paper” a month or so ago (it was on sale). It's essentially a piece of thin white plastic.

http://legionpaper.com/Our-Collection/By-Brand/Yupo.htm

It claimed on the cover to be usable for “water based” mediums so I thought I'd try it out. There are some very cool things about it .. 1) It's is very SMOOTH (and I love smooth instead of rough even for watercolour work), and 2) it is the toughest “paper” you will even own.

I sketched some panels in using my blueline and regular hb pencil… the pencil goes down DARK which is cool, but it smudges like crazy… fingerprints all over the place. Oh, and you can WASH it off if you screw up and erase anything off of it (including sharpies). I then got out my standard permanent ink and went to town inking some of my panels. It looks awesome… very solid blacks… of course the plastic doesn't absorb the ink SO it hasn't dried in two days. HAHA… I'm going to try and scan in the panels… I guess I can wash it off and use it for something else.

Anyway, if you get bored with the regular paper and you have $10 to waste, pick some up and let me know how it goes!

Has anyone else used this stuff?? Any luck with it?? (I have most of a pad o.O)
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:47AM
skoolmunkee at 10:04AM, Aug. 14, 2009
(online)
I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want non-absorbent paper? :| Especially for something like watercolors…
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
Aghammer at 10:08AM, Aug. 14, 2009
(offline)
Yeah, it's very weird but I had to check it out. There are some interesting examples of using watercolor on youtube but it still looks like painting on plastic. The paper is used for things like menus, etc. but are printed with special inks (that can still take hours to dry).

It is a trip to be able to wash the stuff off.

skoolmunkee
I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want non-absorbent paper? :| Especially for something like watercolors…
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:47AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved