Comic Talk and General Discussion *

The duck's 12 step program. Post here if you found a bug/design error.
JustNoPoint at 2:12AM, July 24, 2011
(online)
artofzinn wrote:
because there really is not another good comics host i have checked
Have you not checked comic fury?
blindsk at 3:08AM, July 24, 2011
(online)
JustNoPoint wrote:
Have you not checked comic fury?

Is that where we go to unleash all of our rage about the design changes and functionally problems for DD?
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Amelius at 10:45AM, July 24, 2011
(offline)
Regarding the Old DD not being available to reference your old template….
It's not the most graceful solution (and certainly doesn't help recover files that are missing from your image locker) but doing a Google search on a page from before the relaunch with all your images on it (by clicking “cached” otherwise it will send you to the new site) is a decent way to recover some of your active template images such as buttons and backgrounds or to get your old template for reference when all the new customization stuff is ready. I had to do this to get my awesome navigation arrows back! (they're awesome ‘cuz Oz made them for me! The ones I made myself, not so awesome!)
If Google fails you, there’s always the Internet Archive Wayback Machine too. I lost a really sweet template someone else made for me back in the 2005 crash, but I can still look at it at least! :D
chuckwheel at 11:21AM, July 24, 2011
(online)
I just posted up a bunch of new pages, to run between today, July 24th ">http://www.drunkduck.com/Pewfell/

OK, Sorry, I just logged out and only saw today's strip, so I guess that is a feature for creators reather than a bug!
last edited on July 24, 2011 4:32PM
skoolmunkee at 12:54PM, July 24, 2011
(offline)
chuckwheel wrote:
I just posted up a bunch of new pages, to run between today, July 24th & Auguist 3rd. When I go to the comics homepage though it's showing all the pages as currently visible, even though the dates are correct and in the future:
http://www.drunkduck.com/Pewfell/
That's causing a lot of confusion for people. You can see them because you're the owner, if you logged out or were another user, you wouldn't.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Genejoke at 1:47PM, July 24, 2011
(online)
I hate that feature, it's really irritating. also the dates come up a day behind when uploading pages, caused me to out a page up a day early as i did't think about the date i just moved it down a day. as the default date was the previous day I changed it to the day i did it. the page went up immediately.
Darwin at 4:19PM, July 24, 2011
(offline)
First off thank you for fixing the log-in upload/delete issues with comics.
I really like the preview feature of the comic pages in browser (even when it freaked me out the first time LOL).
I also really like how simple the layout setup is - and while it
doesn't replace my desire to further personalize my comic sites here - I
am satisfied in how it is interactive and easy for even a non-html user
to navigate.
~~~~~
I still cannot upload images to the locker (MS windows Vista, Firefox 5.0.1). I will continue using links from existing mirrors for my major comics and deal with generic buttons for my lesser comics.
I will echo the desire to see the faves listing (both in the dropdown and on the comic page dropdown) in order of update BY DEFAULT.
chuckwheel at 4:33PM, July 24, 2011
(online)
Thanks guys!
On the whole I am a big fan of the new site.
last edited on July 24, 2011 4:34PM
Chernobog at 5:03PM, July 24, 2011
(offline)
Got a glitch for you here.

Logged in today and found I had suddenly become Rokulily. *blinks* Rokulily's favorites and comics, etc, were set up on my side bar. Far as I could tell, it didn't allow me to do anything, so I resent the page and found myself logged out. I could log in normally after that. Kinda scary when you think about it!

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
Kroatz at 5:28PM, July 24, 2011
(online)
Chernobog wrote:

Logged in today and found I had suddenly become Rokulily. *blinks* Rokulily's favorites and comics, etc, were set up on my side bar. Far as I could tell, it didn't allow me to do anything, so I resent the page and found myself logged out. I could log in normally after that. Kinda scary when you think about it!
Arent we ALL rokulily in our own small way?
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
rokulily at 6:48PM, July 24, 2011
(online)
Kroatz wrote:
Chernobog wrote:

Arent we ALL rokulily in our own small way?
indeed. so the tally of known rokulilies so far: chernobog, niccea, rokulily
DungeonmasterJim at 8:08PM, July 24, 2011
(online)
I'm trying to reinstall a java script I had on my page that's a third party visitor counter. Is there a way to do this because I've used the page layout editor and haven't had any success.
Thanks!
alwinbot at 9:40PM, July 24, 2011
(offline)
I don't really know if these complaints have been listed yet, as I am not wading through 12 pages of problems to find out. So please excuse me, if I'm just spouting old news.

I've been having this problem where I've been getting a 504 error everytime I try to save page. It seems to be working fine now, but I don't know if other people were/are getting this error or if it was just me.
I also having this problem where the author's notes don't really have any space between each paragraph, thus sort of jamming them all together into one giant wall of text. I can fix this problem of wall of text by spacing the paragraphs correctly. There seems to be the same problem for forum posts.
In the edit page, the preview for the comic seems to not be showing in its entierity, but rather a squished tiny image of the comic only appears. I don't know if that's what the Jpeg compression issue is about, but that seems to be a problem when I'm reviewing the comic in the edit comic page screen. It's not too bad though, the comic seems to be sized properly when viewed from its actual page.

These are all just minor inconveniences, with the exception of the 504 error which is a big deal(kinda). But they're still problems and should be fixed.
Read this comic. It is the greatest journal comic ever written and drawn. Trust me.
last edited on July 24, 2011 9:42PM
Product Placement at 5:51AM, July 25, 2011
(online)
alwinbot wrote:
I don't really know if these complaints have been listed yet, as I am not wading through 12 pages of problems to find out. So please excuse me, if I'm just spouting old news.
Don't worry. Skoolmunkee is collecting all the complaints and posting them on the first post of this thread. Saves you the trouble of wading through tons of pages.

However, there's nothing wrong with re-addressing a particular problem, that might have been brought up already, to point out that more than one person is having that issue.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
darth_paul at 7:46AM, July 25, 2011
(offline)
OK, I'm able to get in on my mobile now, so that's good. Also noticed that one of my computers already has Chrome, so I can try the site on that browser, but still would rather use Firefox & see the problems fixed for that browser.

Some issues that I've noticed with the forums are:

1. Some of the links extend beyond the yellow text area into the green.
2. After placing a reply, it says there are no posts for the forum, but upon refreshing the post is in the forum.

These issues show up both on my mobile & w/ FF, not sure if it does't happen with Chrome or any other browser.
Loud_G at 10:40AM, July 25, 2011
(online)
IE 7 windows XP

For some reason all replies to this topic (on page 12) after 11am on the 24th are stuck in “strikethough” font. Along with all the text below the forum and to the right of the forum.

It all looks like this….
Find out what George is up to:

Go! Visit George or he may have to eat you!*
*Disclaimer: George may or may not eat violators depending on hunger level and scarcity of better tasting prey.
ayesinback at 12:41PM, July 25, 2011
(online)
rokulily wrote:
so the tally of known rokulilies so far: chernobog, niccea, rokulily

apparently Wowio has discovered an economical method of cloning!!!!!!!

don't know if anyone else has experienced this: I did receive a PQ and didn't realize it because the “Perosnal Quacks” indicator never changed from (0)

I miss the big pop-up. sure, it was startling, but it was hard to miss.
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
mr_pankacez at 12:51PM, July 25, 2011
(offline)
So, is there any sort of fix for those of us who can't log into our main accounts? I was planning on updating my comics again but my login isn't working.
i hate top draer and evry thng they stnd 4
srhdt at 1:29PM, July 25, 2011
(online)
mr_pankacez wrote:
So, is there any sort of fix for those of us who can't log into our main accounts? I was planning on updating my comics again but my login isn't working.
Are you unable to use the password reset feature?
mr_pankacez at 1:31PM, July 25, 2011
(offline)
srhdt wrote:
mr_pankacez wrote:
Are you unable to use the password reset feature?
Yeah, I get a bad gateway error. Is there a manual reset you could do?
My username's therealtj.
magicalmisfits at 1:58PM, July 25, 2011
(online)
I can create a new background. Look at it, think how talented I am, but it wont save. I have tried Explorer Firefox and Chrome. No Joy.
benjin at 3:30PM, July 25, 2011
(online)
The ‘You Like This’ button don't work for me. I use Win7 64 bit/Firefox5
Maybe it has to do with noscript that I use regularly. the new DD site produces more cross site scripting alerts than a malware site. But the button didn't even work when I temporarely allowed all 11 external scripts.
The new layout is nice though.
last edited on July 25, 2011 3:34PM
TheBrood at 7:12PM, July 25, 2011
(online)
Windows XP, Firefox

Think this might be related to the first point under Comics Issues? “Comic page images which were carried over from the old site were
compressed and converted to JPGs…”

my thing is that my comics were .pngs, and the appeared to have stayed as such, but I decided to switch them all to .jpgs since a common complaint was that the pages loaded too slowly. Converting them made the ~650 kb .pngs into ~150 kb .jpgs, and I uploaded them to my site. BUT. I went to check that it all works as i had hoped, and found that while the files all appropriately end in .jpg and have an appropriate relative lack of quality, they are all still around 550 or 600 kb in size. In short, I now have the awful quality of .jpgs and the awful file sizes of .pngs!

I would really appreciate advice, if this is the sort of thing that I can fix myself, otherwise I shall simply leave this here and humbly ask the code wizards to do something about it.
Tesla had not taken into account how resonance waves grow stronger the further they travel from their source. He had unintentionally created what became known as Tesla's earthquake machine.
last edited on July 25, 2011 7:16PM
Niccea at 7:25PM, July 25, 2011
(offline)
I have crazy, random question that I hope people don't hate me for asking….

It is about the name change….

….

If one of the reasons for changing the name of the site was for image…why wasn't the url changed? (Before you throw empty cans, rotten eggs and tomatoes the old links aren't really working anyways). Becuse the header of the site says “The Duck Webcomics,” but I'm still going to drunkduck.com. Does that really affect the image of the site that much?
last edited on July 25, 2011 7:27PM
Product Placement at 7:31PM, July 25, 2011
(online)
magicalmisfits wrote:
I can create a new background. Look at it, think how talented I am, but it wont save. I have tried Explorer Firefox and Chrome. No Joy.
This is true. He PQ'd me about it.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
Niccea at 7:38PM, July 25, 2011
(offline)
Few other things:
Are the forum links from the old site ever going to get fixed because I have a link list (see sig) with 45 links that lead 502 gateway errors…
And when are mods going to be able to moderate again? (My fingers are itching)
mr_pankacez at 10:22PM, July 25, 2011
(offline)
srhdt wrote:
Oh, wow, so just figured out the problem. Appearently, my account is linked to the wrong email. I signed up with an email adress that I have since lost access to. I switched the email tied to my account when I lost said email adress but my DD account seems to have reverted to that email (i tried putting my old email in the reset box and it said “email sent.”)
So… now what? D: I really don't want to lose my account.
that kid yellow at 11:55PM, July 25, 2011
(online)
skoolmunkee wrote:
Datkidyellow wrote:
This is actually That kid yellow.
I sent you an e-mail.

Thanks so much. Im alive again!!!! now to become the number one headband.
last edited on July 25, 2011 11:57PM
Darwin at 8:09AM, July 26, 2011
(offline)
A new glitch…
~
In the PQ area, i was trying to clean up my PQ's (I wouldn't have been hurt by the idea of leaving them behind, truth be told) and tried to use the “Select all” option at the bottom of the page, from there I had intended to deselect the ones I wanted to keep.
~
However the “Select All” button doesn't select all the PQ's. It was a ten minute process of clicking all the sent items I didn't feel I needed to hold onto….
~
Minor glitch, but one none the less!
AeJaLove at 10:14AM, July 26, 2011
(offline)
so after 10 days, a spark of hope flew in so I thought to give it a try again..
my OS is Windows XP Home SP2, my browser is Opera 11.50 and IE8…
still after 10 days, the changes I made to my layout (bg, author comments, etc) won't save on either of the browser…….
*sigh* and reading the forum posts I feel like i'm the only one having this problem with only a few others… can't help but feel a bit left out, not that i envy the other kind of bigger problems most of the members are facing…
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon