Comic Talk and General Discussion *

The duck's 12 step program. Post here if you found a bug/design error.
mimosah at 1:16PM, Aug. 9, 2011
(online)
I can't seem to save any of my updates on my comic either. I've tried on firefox and safari on my mac. Both times they don't save. :(
skoolmunkee at 3:44PM, Aug. 9, 2011
(offline)
What exactly do you mean by updates? Changes to pages you've already uploaded, or are you talking about the layout editor?
IT'S OLD BATMAN
zammap at 4:35PM, Aug. 9, 2011
(online)
don't know if it has been pointed out yet but I just uploaded some pages and had step up the dates so over the next tow weeks each day would get a new page
BUT
ALL the pages have shown up on the comic and can be naviagted right now.
skoolmunkee at 12:45AM, Aug. 10, 2011
(offline)
zammap, it's because you're the account owner. If you logged out you wouldn't see them.

It's a confusing system, Wowio knows they need to reevaluate it.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Darwin at 8:44AM, Aug. 10, 2011
(offline)
I like being able to see it in browser, but a simple “Preview” button or banner would really help ease the continued confusion by some creators over whether it is live or not (Like a date based “if false then post banner ”Preview Only“”).
Hayakain at 9:46AM, Aug. 10, 2011
(offline)
This has probably been covered a few hundred times, and for that I apologize. :B
But somecomics do not show up by searching for them. (like Ryugou)
I assume this will be ironed out, I just wanted to make mention of it. :)
]
Check out www.hayakain.deviantart.com
OR www.furaffinity.net/user/hayakain/ for other works :D

Niccea at 10:28AM, Aug. 10, 2011
(offline)
I didn't see this on the list yet skool, but if you copy and paste from something like Microsoft Word, a lot of garbage shows up (example below).
This can be fixed easily by clicking the html button on the text box and deleting all the code that appears before your post, but that is too much work.
Any chance of them just reinstituting BBCode? It may be old fashioned but it works. And you can still have buttons programed to help the people who didn't memorize the tags.

Nasty Microsoft Word Post:

Normal

false
false
false

EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE

Normal

false
false
false

EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:“Table Normal”;
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-qformat:yes;
mso-style-parent:“”;
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0in;
mso-para-margin-right:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0in;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:“Calibri”,“sans-serif”;
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-bidi-font-family:“Times New Roman”;
mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

Zeph: Why did you light that bus of nuns on fire, and send
it veering at Ozone, who matrix dodged out of the way, throwing PP into the
way, who dove over the bus, without being grazed, only to fall into a puddle,
as the nun bus now on fire hit a small building full of fireworks ment for the
4th of July?

First off they weren't nuns. They were demons
disguised as nuns. Demons that require human sacrifice. They were on their way
to devour an orphanage. The only way to defeat these nuns is with fire. Now
Ozone, was just a victim of circumstance. He made fun of my ears last week. So
I was still a little pissed and sent the bus in his direction. Ozone of course
learned Matrix Fu from Keanu Reeves. So he was easily able to get out of the
way of the bus. In fact, the bus wouldn't hit him unless it was going 50 mph
faster. He threw PP into the way of the bus because PP had laughed at his
Cossack costume. PP, of course, used his super mod powers to dodge the bus.
However, he miscalculated the landing and got wet. The fireworks? That was just
a coincidence. But it looked pretty.

And that is how I saved American Independence Day from the evil forces of demon
nuns, Iceland, and Australia.
last edited on Aug. 10, 2011 10:30AM
Amelius at 10:36AM, Aug. 10, 2011
(offline)
Alright, I'm not one to complain too much about this site but who do I need see about an Ad on my comic that I find objectionable? Because there's an ad for Trojan condoms that I am NOT AT ALL COMFORTABLE WITH. I do NOT want to see spinning animated willy-protectors right next to my comic (which has no swearing or sexual content), and this is just way beyond what I am comfortable with seeing in ads on here. I screenshot it, since it went away when I refreshed the page as I assumed it would, but please someone remove this ad from the network? I do not wish to see it again. :C
last edited on Aug. 10, 2011 10:38AM
skoolmunkee at 12:19AM, Aug. 11, 2011
(offline)
Sorry I didn't reply to that post last night, I was having some forum issues. I reported that ad to Kinh so hopefully he'll be able to get it removed. :I
IT'S OLD BATMAN
VegaX at 5:34AM, Aug. 11, 2011
(offline)
It has been two weeks or so since the last bug update. Could we get some info from the programming team on whats up and what youre focusing on?

I understand that the image thing is a priority but i think a lot of us would appreciate small things like pageviews and the favorites list sorted by update being done first. It helps getting the site to function a bit better and keeps the morale up knowing people visit your comic.

Thanks!

last edited on Aug. 11, 2011 5:39AM
Niccea at 8:53AM, Aug. 11, 2011
(offline)
I agree with Vega. I would also like to know when I can make a post and know it won't be screwed up if I click the edit button.
I also posted a lot on get satisfaction yesterday, most if it weren't bugs so I'm not going to carry them over here.
Amelius at 9:39AM, Aug. 11, 2011
(offline)
That's alright Skoolmunkee, I was having troubles with it myself! (when I posted that initially, it told me that the thread had no posts!) I do hope it gets removed… it keeps popping up everywhere on the site now, it's going to put an eye out! XD
Nepath at 2:32AM, Aug. 12, 2011
(online)
Just curious - what happened to the regular updates on site fixes? All seems to have gone quiet.
I'd like to know if there is anymore information regarding stats and pageviews beyond “they will appear one day”.
skoolmunkee at 9:19AM, Aug. 12, 2011
(offline)
I've asked them to update you guys, but since they haven't yet I guess I can share what I know.
They've been doing some back-end things which you can't really see but needed to be done, including admin functionality and server stuff. But the majority of the programmer time being spent, from what I understand, has been working on the stats stuff and also re-importing those images. The logic behind prioritizing those is probably that those things affect every person on the site. Apparently that re-import process can take a while (depending on archive size) and needs to be done (for now) on a more or less individual basis. However the most popular 200 or so comics should have their original images back, if my information is right.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Hawk at 12:55PM, Aug. 12, 2011
(online)
Hmmmm… I hope they continue on past the most popular 200 or so pretty soon. The quality of my images still looks pretty crummy.
And it'll be interesting to see the stats back. I've been pretty curious about those for a while now, and I no longer have my off-site stat tracking to enjoy.
skoolmunkee at 4:10PM, Aug. 12, 2011
(offline)
I think the main problem with a mass image re-importing right now is that it would mean shutting the site down for a few days again, since 1. it's a huge data transfer and would slow the live site way, way down, and 2. people editing their comics would mess it up, it's a multi-step backend process, so that kind of stuff would have to be managed. So I think what they're working on (besides doing it at a slower pace to the most popular comics on down) is some method to do it without having it visibly affect the site. They did describe a couple of interim solutions to me a couple days ago but from what I can see none of them have been implemented yet.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Darwin at 12:30PM, Aug. 13, 2011
(offline)
I'm going to assume (please don't make an ass out of me) that the following problem is related to the “individual” basis upload of images for webcomic sites Skool talked about, but just incase I'm lodging a complaint about the bug.

So here's the deal. I went to look at Not Ready to Die (Looking for comments and such being that they're not on our UCP's like they used to be), only to discover the comic page didnt load, nor did the background images and buttons.

I came here first to check it…and have since gone t hrough all of my various comic “sites” and found the following:

-TOHS's older pages aren't available now (but future pages are visible)
-Gemutations: Plague has no comic image, but all backgrounds and button images are intact.
-Midnight, Common Ground and Michael are the same as NRTD(No background, button or comic images)

Can someone hook me up with some kind of reason for this? A lot of the buttons backgrounds were loaded into the image locker and from what I see are still there. None of that explains the missing comic images on ALL my titles.
Suddenly everything is back to normal…forgive the earlier freak out! heh…
last edited on Aug. 13, 2011 6:44PM
Darwin at 6:47PM, Aug. 13, 2011
(offline)
Darwin wrote:
I'm going to assume (please don't make an ass out of me) that the following problem is related to the “individual” basis upload of images for webcomic sites Skool talked about, but just incase I'm lodging a complaint about the bug.

So here's the deal. I went to look at Not Ready to Die (Looking for comments and such being that they're not on our UCP's like they used to be), only to discover the comic page didnt load, nor did the background images and buttons.

I came here first to check it…and have since gone t hrough all of my various comic “sites” and found the following:

-TOHS's older pages aren't available now (but future pages are visible)
-Gemutations: Plague has no comic image, but all backgrounds and button images are intact.
-Midnight, Common Ground and Michael are the same as NRTD(No background, button or comic images)

Can someone hook me up with some kind of reason for this? A lot of the buttons backgrounds were loaded into the image locker and from what I see are still there. None of that explains the missing comic images on ALL my titles.
Suddenly everything is back to normal…forgive the earlier freak out! heh…
Yeah, the edit didn't take, just wanteed to let you guys know that my comics all seem to be working as advertised now.
El Cid at 10:37AM, Aug. 15, 2011
(online)
Under User Control Panel, where it says “Comics Recommended By,” the word “Recommend” only has one “M.”
Hawk at 10:58AM, Aug. 15, 2011
(online)
I'm sure this is the last thing anybody is worried about right now… but I was looking at the tutorials. I came across one that was absolutely terrible and not really a tutorial at all, so I rated it with 1 Star. Previously it was at one star with one vote. After I voted, it was at 3/5 stars with two votes. So essentially when I voted 1 Star it registared 5 Stars, the exact opposite of what I intended. So it sounds like the tutorial voting is messed up.
Yeah, no big deal, but it should go on a list of things to fix, somewhere.
skoolmunkee at 1:35PM, Aug. 15, 2011
(offline)
Thanks Hawk. :]

I should probably also go through all those at some point and get rid of the ones which are really awful/unrelated or just a bunch of broken links and stuff…
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Shawn_Perry at 5:43PM, Aug. 16, 2011
(online)
I can't see ANY comics at all. I don't know if it's just firefox or what, but no images are viewable for me.
Niccea at 7:11PM, Aug. 16, 2011
(offline)
I know there has been a lot of going back and forth about the color scheme and how much it sucks donkey balls.
Can I offer a very simple fix?
One of the problems is that it is hard to see black against the yellow. I have seen many complaints about eye strain.
Though it wouldn't be a perfect fix, how about switching up the two yellos? Having the text on the lighter yellow will help it stand out a lot better. It isn't perfect, I will admit, but it should be simple to change around the colors.
Ozoneocean at 7:37PM, Aug. 16, 2011
(online)
Niccea wrote:
I know there has been a lot of going back and forth about the color scheme and how much it sucks donkey balls.
Can I offer a very simple fix?
One of the problems is that it is hard to see black against the yellow. I have seen many complaints about eye strain.
Though it wouldn't be a perfect fix, how about switching up the two yellos? Having the text on the lighter yellow will help it stand out a lot better. It isn't perfect, I will admit, but it should be simple to change around the colors.
I'm sure they tried that once already somewhere, but I'll ask anyway.
You know, seeing as we use plain white in the reply boxes, we may as well have that for the forums too, I'll ask. The colour is just THAT huge of a deal to people.
-What shits me is the wonky functionality. As an admin on a site I like to be able to know how to use it to do what I need and want to do, here I just don't.
Ozoneocean at 7:37PM, Aug. 16, 2011
(online)
Shawn_Perry wrote:
I can't see ANY comics at all. I don't know if it's just firefox or what, but no images are viewable for me.
Things work for me. Was it a temporary bug? Does it work now? I'm using FF myself.
Allyndn at 6:13AM, Aug. 17, 2011
(online)
Okay, I've at skimmed most of this extensive forum and appear to have found some “unique to me” bugs.

My favorites have lost my book marks, showing where I last left off reading them, and
much more significantly, I'm not seeing stats for readers of my comic. I'm currently showing 0 page views.
I don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm running Safari 5 on Mac 10.6.
chis at 8:33AM, Aug. 17, 2011
(online)
I have loads (about 50) bookmarks for comics that I dip into occasionally rather than read every week. Since the change to the new server none of the ones I tried work. Is there any way to translate from the old format to the new one. Searching for individual pages is incredibly time consuming, especially if one hasn't been to a comic for a while and cannot remember where one was. Other than that everything I use as a reader seems to be OK.
Chris.
last edited on Aug. 17, 2011 8:37AM
skoolmunkee at 9:37AM, Aug. 17, 2011
(offline)
Allyndn wrote:
Okay, I've at skimmed most of this extensive forum and appear to have found some “unique to me” bugs.

My favorites have lost my book marks, showing where I last left off reading them, and
much more significantly, I'm not seeing stats for readers of my comic. I'm currently showing 0 page views.
I don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm running Safari 5 on Mac 10.6.
The stats have been brought up a few times acually, and it's listed near the bottom of the first post (which is now poorly formatted because of forum problems). They haaven't imported old tracking data yet, and it seems they haven't gotten the new one working either. It's a big issue for a number of people, so at leaast it's not just you. Unfortunately I don't know when they will get things working.

I suspect the favorites lost their bookmarks because of the changed URL structure. Unfortunately there's no correlation between the old url structure and the new one- a few people have tried to figure out if there's some conversion but the numbering is completely different. The changed URLs are another issue which have been a problem for a number of people- any link to a specific comic page, from anywhere, is now broken. :[
IT'S OLD BATMAN
chis at 12:02PM, Aug. 17, 2011
(online)
skoolmunkee wrote:
I
suspect the favorites lost their bookmarks because of the changed URL
structure. Unfortunately there's no correlation between the old url
structure and the new one- a few people have tried to figure out if
there's some conversion but the numbering is completely different. The
changed URLs are another issue which have been a problem for a number of
people- any link to a specific comic page, from anywhere, is now
broken. :[
Oh well, I
guess I will just go through and ditch them all then. Maybe one or two
will survive the purge but that's it. Thank goodness a large proportion
of them are not on the Duck.
Chris.
PS. I keep
getting a lot of 502s (just did trying to post this) and the occasional
503. Usually just trying again solves it but not always.
chis at 12:03PM, Aug. 17, 2011
(online)
skoolmunkee wrote:
I
suspect the favorites lost their bookmarks because of the changed URL
structure. Unfortunately there's no correlation between the old url
structure and the new one- a few people have tried to figure out if
there's some conversion but the numbering is completely different. The
changed URLs are another issue which have been a problem for a number of
people- any link to a specific comic page, from anywhere, is now
broken. :[
Oh well, I
guess I will just go through and ditch them all then. Maybe one or two
will survive the purge but that's it. Thank goodness a large proportion
of them are not on the Duck.
Chris.
PS. I keep
getting a lot of 502s (just did trying to post this) and the occasional
503. Usually just trying again solves it but not always.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon