Comic Talk and General Discussion *

The duck's 12 step program. Post here if you found a bug/design error.
Niccea at 9:56AM, Jan. 6, 2012
(offline)
Well, the stats don't work any more and the comic that was there was Persona 3FTW.
JustNoPoint at 12:20PM, Jan. 6, 2012
(online)
Can you rename the top 10? Or would that be a coding issue?

It'd be neat if the new top 10 shifted a bit through the year with the comics that updated and won awards in the DD awards.

It's kinda silly if they all just get to sit there just because the site is frozen. It may not be fair to remove them when they would more than likely be there anyway. But in some cases they may not be and it's not fair to those that should be there.
Niccea at 1:02PM, Jan. 6, 2012
(offline)
I was kinda thinking the same thing. Anything we can do without Wowio doing some major recoding should be done. Anything we can do to breathe more life into the site. That said we need a major community project for late winter/spring. I don't think we have one.

So far the annual projects have been:

June-September: Drunk Duck Awards
June: Mid-year Secret Santa (Summer Santa/whatever the frack we want to call it)
October 1st: 24 Hour Comic Day
December: Secret Santa

Just a thought to maybe get something anual for March/April if we don't have something already. You know me. Aways wanting to keep busy.
Armagedon at 2:49PM, Jan. 6, 2012
(online)
This has probably already been reported, but going live feature isn't working.
On Tuesday, I posted 2 comics to go live today and next week. However, even though the post date on the comics say posted on the 6th and 13th, people can already go to the site and read the comics.
ayesinback at 3:37PM, Jan. 6, 2012
(online)
Niccea wrote:
So far the annual projects have been:

June-September: Drunk Duck Awards
June: Mid-year Secret Santa (Summer Santa/whatever the frack we want to call it)
October 1st: 24 Hour Comic Day
December: Secret Santa

Just a thought to maybe get something anual for March/April if we don't have something already. You know me. Aways wanting to keep busy.

Empress!!

It may not be much, and it's relatively new, but there IS a DD Voice Contest.
I believe the Radioplay is the preferred manifestation, and I was thinking of posting a script contest next month.
I know Kroatz has been working on a massive script, but I think there might be others who'd like to contend for author-hood-ship (yeah, whatever).

*sputter* I mean, harrumph.

hugs and kisses

The Czarina (yeah - I'm looking at you)
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
last edited on Jan. 6, 2012 3:39PM
skoolmunkee at 3:38PM, Jan. 6, 2012
(offline)
arvtoon and joe5art: the stats tracking hasn't worked since July, when they changed the site over. They intended to get everything functional again, but they ran out of time/money and now the site is kind of in limbo. :[

ultimatez: people seem to have the best luck with Chrome and the worst with Firefox. That's not a solution to the core problem but it might work for you to get your page set up.

justnopoint: we can't rename the top 10, that's part of the page coding which we don't have access to. Otherwise we'd probably be able to do more with that spot.

niccea: Has it been more difficult to get people involved in community projects since the relaunch? I think we all definitely have noticed how quiet the site has gotten, and it seems like the same group of 20-30 people participating in everything. I'd love to get more people involved in things again, we can always revivie old projects like the beauty pageants or comic redux things- but I wouldn't want the same people to feel pressured into participating in everything because no one else is. :[

armagedon: It's just you who can see them, because you're the comic owner. If you try logging out and viewing your comic, you won't see them. :] It's not the best system.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
KittenXaos at 7:53PM, Jan. 11, 2012
(online)
Armagedon wrote:
This has probably already been reported, but going live feature isn't working.
On Tuesday, I posted 2 comics to go live today and next week. However, even though the post date on the comics say posted on the 6th and 13th, people can already go to the site and read the comics.
I'd like to second this. I don't know if it's a ong term problem, or something I only picked up on now.
Sorry if it's a known issue like the stats.
Advice?
Ozoneocean at 8:26PM, Jan. 11, 2012
(online)
Re the comics being viewable even though they shouldn't be live yet- Only the creator can see that. Try logging out and look again. You should be able to see it as anyone else does: the pages that aren't live won't be there.

If they're still love even when you're logged out or logged into a different account, THEN there will be a significant issue.
KittenXaos at 8:45PM, Jan. 11, 2012
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Re the comics being viewable even though they shouldn't be live yet- Only the creator can see that. Try logging out and look again. You should be able to see it as anyone else does: the pages that aren't live won't be there.

If they're still love even when you're logged out or logged into a different account, THEN there will be a significant issue.
I am aware the pages are visible from my account.
I logged out, saw the page from the future. Had a friend look it up, they saw it too. Live date says 14th of Jan.
KittenXaos at 8:46PM, Jan. 11, 2012
(online)
found the issue. The year's set to 2011. Thanks guys!
KDog at 3:01PM, Jan. 12, 2012
(online)
Every time I upload a comic, the date says Dec. 27. 2011. However, it always used to pick the current date.
Can I select the correct date? Does Drunk Duck recognize what day it is or does it still think it's Dec. 27? I don't want my comic not to upload because I pick today and DD thinks I'm scheduling a comic for the future.
Ozoneocean at 7:29PM, Jan. 12, 2012
(online)
You can pick any date you want :)
It will go up on the right day. IT's just that the default day is stuck, which could just be plain irritating the change constantly because you have to pick the year too, as Kitten found out.
I'll ask as much as I can about it, but I'm not positive what can be done at this stage.
joe5art at 4:29PM, Jan. 13, 2012
(online)
On the counter is there any chance something might be able to be attached into the individual pages like E-bay or something.
As far as contests and stuff it seems anything I see is already going or gone. I don't know if I'm missing stuff, or if more notice, or something more obvious would help.
-Joe
Allyndn at 12:44AM, Jan. 14, 2012
(online)
Been trying to upload the last two days. Usually DD just hangs, but today I got a long “Django” message which reported some kind of python scripting error. It is far beyond my ken, but I could send it somewhere if someone thinks that could help. I'm running Safari 5 on Mac OS 10.6. Latest versions of everything. I also noticed today for the first time that DD's default live date is not the current date, so I'm guessing there has been some back-end coding being done on the uploading portion of the site. And, for me at least, it's not working.
Ozoneocean at 2:43AM, Jan. 15, 2012
(online)
I'm trying to test it but that part of the admin system is waaay too slow for me to get into right now.
It could be because of this slow down that you're having an issue maybe?
A user called Reen had a similar issue, but testing through the admin system ans well as through her account didn't turn up any issues. I was abole to upload comics to all her comic accounts without probablems, so this whole thig may be a temporary server issue.
Allyndn at 3:13AM, Jan. 17, 2012
(online)
ozoneocean wrote: I'm trying to test it but that part of the admin system is waaay too slow for me to get into right now.It could be because of this slow down that you're having an issue maybe?A user called Reen had a similar issue, but testing through the admin system ans well as through her account didn't turn up any issues. I was abole to upload comics to all her comic accounts without probablems, so this whole thig may be a temporary server issue.

Someone's doing something coding related back there in the admin system shadows. When I first posted my bug, I had noticed that the text field for the comic was allowing RTF formatting. Then I went back to try again the next day and the formatting bar was gone. At any rate, I still am unable to upload any comics.
Joff at 11:45AM, Jan. 17, 2012
(online)
I'm currently having an issue where the latest comic isn't being displayed.
When I check the “my comics” tab on the front page to go to edit and add pages, it lists my last update as 14th January, but when I get to the “Pages” section in order to add one, the more recent comic, with it's live date is listed there, but it doesn't show up as the latest comic.

There is an exception. I can see it just fine, when I'm logged in. When I'm not logged in, it shows me the previous comic, from the 14th.
Ozoneocean at 12:25PM, Jan. 17, 2012
(online)
it's 4.22am here so I've really got to get to bed…
OK for the date issue that would mean that the comic posting part of the site is actually behind two days. Shit.
—-

I don't know what's up with the not being able to post comics though. I CAN do it through your account so I don't know what's up. Can you try using a different browser, maybe on another computer? Maybe changing your password and logging out?
joe5art at 11:24AM, Jan. 18, 2012
(online)
skoolmunkee- Have they thought about doing something like DeviantArt does to raise some money and have a premium membership? For a minimal fee have working counters, some on site ads and some control of the ads that are on thier pages and maybe get it so strips show up on a Google search and the ability to have polls and or a scrapbook?
It's just a though.
ayesinback at 3:02PM, Jan. 18, 2012
(online)
joe5art wrote:
Have they thought about doing something like DeviantArt does to raise some money and have a premium membership? For a minimal fee have working counters, some on site ads and some control of the ads that are on thier pages and maybe get it so strips show up on a Google search and the ability to have polls and or a scrapbook?
It's just a though.

GAH!

No offense, Joe - but the speculation several months back was that paid memberships was exactly how Wowio was planning to set things up. At the time, everyone was saying, ah no no no. OH NO NO NO. I rather bought into a couple of those no's. but word from Wowio has been entirely absent for quite awhile now. It would be nice if they could check in instead of using their fronts: skool and Oz.
Ya know: This site is so advertisement-laden it's REALLY difficult for me to believe that they haven't incurred some kind of profit yet.

I still hate what they did in the transformation from drunkduck to “the duck” - but belaboring all the losses isn't helpful. Yet at the same time, every time I post I feel like I'm some kind of enabler. I want to keep the site alive, but not like this.

I love this community and until it goes en masse elsewhere, this is where I expect to find it. But the fact that Wowio does not communicate is not lost on me. It's been months since I heard the “we be poor” – months! but I don't see a drop in advertising space. And when there are DDers who volunteer their time and talent to look at code, seeing if they can help and CRICKETS ?!!??
*sorry -this just gets me pissed* in conclusion: I will not be paying for The Duck. ever.
Evil Emperor Nick at 10:24AM, Jan. 19, 2012
(offline)
Images are broken all over the site. Whole comics archives are broken as well as user avatars. Not sure what the rhyme or reason is but it it looks bad. More have gone down since I originally posted this, now it seems like all images are broken on the site. Is this some sort of attack on the site?

last edited on Jan. 19, 2012 10:28AM
joe5art at 10:32AM, Jan. 19, 2012
(online)
Sorry I don't know the whole histroy. I an not a huge fan of paying for sites but I do on Deviant Art and I get enough out of it that it's worth the couple dollars a month to me. I feel the same about this site if it could be fully funtional by me putting in a small amount I'd be game.
BTW I'm I the only one who can't get any images other than ads today?
-Joe
joe5art at 10:38AM, Jan. 19, 2012
(online)

Just got this when trying to upload a new comic.

IOError at /comics/add_page/41984/
S3StorageError:
InvalidAccessKeyIdThe AWS Access Key Id you provided does not exist in our records.08A57EFDD87DB9C2aDZP/K0IKHxtY4DP0sOno7Ug4jNmDWFuwXwpXCUgaA/CswOfysTGkAx3EzewCgyUAKIAJ5RENZ2C35363IHQ

Request Method:

Request URL:
http://www.drunkduck.com/comics/add_page/41984/

Django Version:

Exception Type:
IOError

Exception Value:

S3StorageError:
InvalidAccessKeyIdThe AWS Access Key Id you provided does not exist in our records.08A57EFDD87DB9C2aDZP/K0IKHxtY4DP0sOno7Ug4jNmDWFuwXwpXCUgaA/CswOfysTGkAx3EzewCgyUAKIAJ5RENZ2C35363IHQ

Exception Location:
/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/storages/backends/s3.py in _put_file, line 130

Python Executable:
/root/

Python Version:

Python Path:

['/home/duck/public/drunkduck',
‘.’,
‘',
’/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pip-0.8.3-py2.6.egg',
‘/usr/lib/python2.6’,
‘/usr/lib/python2.6/plat-linux2’,
‘/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-tk’,
‘/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-old’,
‘/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload’,
‘/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages’,
‘/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/PIL’,
‘/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6’,
‘/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages’,
‘/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/setuptools-0.6c11-py2.6.egg-info’,
‘/home/duck/public/drunkduck’]

Server time:
Thu, 19 Jan 2012 10:35:51 -0800

bravo1102 at 10:52AM, Jan. 19, 2012
(offline)
I got the same thing when trying to reload missing images on an old comic and now… well every image on the whole site is a red “x”. Yipes.
Banes at 10:54AM, Jan. 19, 2012
(offline)
Hope it's not as bad as it looks!

Anubis at 12:27PM, Jan. 19, 2012
(offline)
Looks like the graphics server is down again. Reminds me of the old times
Ozoneocean at 4:55PM, Jan. 19, 2012
(online)
There is no graphics server these days. Now all images are hosted by Amazon cloud services for saftey and cost effectiveness etc! ^_^
Looks like it's fine again now.
Allyndn at 5:02AM, Jan. 20, 2012
(online)
joe5art wrote:

Just got this when trying to upload a new comic.
Joe: I've been trying to upload nearly ever day this year and I get some variant on that message. I don't know why some people can upload and some can't.
skoolmunkee at 10:15AM, Jan. 20, 2012
(offline)
ayesinback wrote:
but word from Wowio has been entirely absent for quite awhile now. It would be nice if they could check in instead of using their fronts: skool and Oz.
Ya know: This site is so advertisement-laden it's REALLY difficult for me to believe that they haven't incurred some kind of profit yet.

And when there are DDers who volunteer their time and talent to look at code, seeing if they can help and CRICKETS ?!!??

Honestly I don't consider myself a go-between anymore between DD and Wowio. We've been hearing almost nothing from them too. Kinh was our main contact and he left back in August/September. Lawrence was still there but he was never great at keeping us updated, and now Lawrence has gone as well. We've been given a new contact but we've only been able to exchange perhaps ten words with him. We still send on e-mails about major issues and so on, but (and I dunno about oz) I basically feel now like DD is just treading water out in the ocean somewhere.

I don't pretend to know how complicated accounting or advertising or anything is when it comes to a company, but I would doubt that simple adspace would bring in much profit. Probably enough to pay DD's maintenance costs. What Wowio has been looking for is an investor, which would give them a significant amount of upfront cash to work with. Which apparently they haven't had success with.

And I dunno what to tell you about the volunteers. Perhaps as a company they're just unwilling to let people loose on their code like that. It might involve more legalities than they think it's worth- and in order to enact any changes those people might have to be employees or something? I don't know.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
ayesinback at 2:27PM, Jan. 20, 2012
(online)
Thanks for your update, skool. I imagine we're both a little sorry that it couldn't be more, but I appreciate your sharing. So - yeah, Wowio does not care, at this point, to have any direct relation to the creators here at DD. I know you didn't say that, but de facto is de facto.
If Wowio isn't pulling in enough revenue from the DD advertising to pay more than the salaries of the Wowio ad staff dedicated to DD (his name is Frank, right? *just kidding*) and a site fee, something is peculiar - but it could be any number of things. I'm just saying: there are several brand names among the advertisers; it's not just “Pop's Deli”.
I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one who wants to believe “it'll get better” (in fact, I'm pretty sure you feel that way just as much as I do) and I get the sense that Wowio is banking off that. They might want a big investor, but do they even have a reasonable cost analysis? I doubt it – I don't believe they even know where to begin/end with the programming and coding needs. That's where someone with coding knowledge could help. You know far more about coding than I do, but just establishing the hub of the schema to begin to identify what plays off what would be a huge start and help.
I am not saying those here with DD would do that or could do that – but when someone is offering to help, an acknowledgment just to say “thank you, but we can't accept” is the least Wowio can do. For a fact, I don't know whether or not an acknowledgment was made - I believe not.

It's like when you've been waiting at a government office for an hour and a half for your appointment, and no one will even meet your eye, and then they instantly get defensive if you actually ask for some accurate information. So defensive they hide.
I do like your “treading water” metaphor. Yes - exactly like that.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon