Comic Talk and General Discussion *

The duck's 12 step program. Post here if you found a bug/design error.
Ozoneocean at 10:07PM, May 3, 2012
(online)
OK, cool! I'm glad it resolved itself :)
El Cid at 5:02AM, May 5, 2012
(online)
I don't think it was ever a site problem, now. I've noticed now that my computer is having trouble uploading anything, even attachments to e-mails or uploading stuff through FTP. So it looks like it was probably my computer going haywire that caused it.
Froggtreecomics at 10:36AM, May 5, 2012
(offline)
I've had that problem when uploading, think it was last tuesday. I gave it a CTRL F5 and it seemed ok. Possibly amazon having an episode and blipping at the image store end?
ryuuzakitakada at 7:23PM, May 8, 2012
(online)
My comic is not found anywhere. Searching on the site shows up with 0 results. Google does not help (mainly because I picked a common name).
last edited on May 8, 2012 7:25PM
Ozoneocean at 6:44AM, May 9, 2012
(online)
Your comic is new. Google will index it soon, don't worry.
I have no idea how the DD search ingine works… maybe it'll be on there soon?
Anyway, the way most people will fin you comic for now is right through your profile:
http://www.drunkduck.com/user/ryuuzakitakada/
CyberSkull at 5:32AM, May 11, 2012
(online)
User privaleged forms and controls should be hidden from anonymous users.
For example, when I go to read a comic and then enter a nice long comment, only to have it go up in a puff of smoke because I am not logged in is a very poor design. The comment field should not show up and in it's place should be a log in form. This way I can quickly log in and never loose my comment!
Sincerely,
Your Dread Lord

Un-Certified Looney, Heretic @ Large, etc…
last edited on May 11, 2012 5:35AM
CyberSkull at 5:38AM, May 11, 2012
(online)
Spellcheck is not working on the forums here. “asd” isn't showing up as misspelled, nor is spellcheck suggesting corrections.
Using Safari 5.0.6 on Mac OS X 10.5 PPC, and yes, spellcheck works fine on other websites, including DD coments.
Sincerely,
Your Dread Lord

Un-Certified Looney, Heretic @ Large, etc…
ryuuzakitakada at 6:05AM, May 11, 2012
(online)
ozoneocean wrote: Your comic is new. Google will index it soon, don't worry.I have no idea how the DD search ingine works… maybe it'll be on there soon?Anyway, the way most people will fin you comic for now is right through your profile:http://www.drunkduck.com/user/ryuuzakitakada/

Nope. Still not on DD's search.
Ozoneocean at 6:38AM, May 11, 2012
(online)
@ryuuzakitakada
The DD search isn't ever that great for finding stuff anyway, the chief way people will find your comic are through your profile- when you leave a comment on someone else's comic or in the forums people will click your name and look at your profile… if the comment was good or interesting :)
-Also when your comic updates it gets listed on the front page briefly so people see it that way too.
-Google is of course anther way, just wait for it to be indexed…
I don't know when or if DD search gets updated. I presume it WILL happen eventually though. Always keep in mind though that it has never been nor never will be the main method people use on this site for fining comics because they have to know the name to begin with to use the search anyway… Which they wont do if they've never seen your comic before.

@Cyberskull- yes those two things are known and annoying bugs. There's nothing I can do for that stupid first one, which I really hate.
-As for the Spellcheck issue, the reason for that is the silly Javascript BBcode editor layer on the text enter box. Using Firefox and other Firefox based browsers like Seamonkey, the solution is as easy as right-clicking the comment box and ticking “spellcheck”
-Another way would be to turn off javascript, but that's not so easy to do.
-I don't know if you can do the spellcheck thing in Webkit based browsers like Safari, but it'd be worth trying anyway.
Gabe Puratekuta at 11:36AM, May 22, 2012
(online)
An advertisement is covering both the left and right sides of the page. It's blocking a lot of things like the favorites dropdown menu (can't open it) and editing pages
DeaThanatia at 11:48AM, May 26, 2012
(online)
I recently made a comic on this site but even though it has been favorited once, and has 2 likes, the pageview is still 0 o.O
Product Placement at 6:02PM, May 26, 2012
(online)
DeaThanatia wrote:
the pageview is still 0 o.O
Pageviews is broken; it's impossible to tell how often your comic is being read.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
olinn at 6:39AM, June 2, 2012
(offline)
i keep getting “502 gad gateway” even though i only use a single tab, thus forcing me to refresh the page several times to view a single comic page before having to refresh several times again to view the next one.
edit; just to post this and to check to make sure it was here, i had to refresh over 15 times, and to make this edit, i had to refresh more than that. this is *really* annoying
last edited on June 2, 2012 6:47AM
dcole at 7:52AM, June 2, 2012
(online)
olinn wrote:
i keep getting “502 gad gateway” even though i only use a single tab, thus forcing me to refresh the page several times to view a single comic page before having to refresh several times again to view the next one.
edit; just to post this and to check to make sure it was here, i had to refresh over 15 times, and to make this edit, i had to refresh more than that. this is *really* annoying
Same here. I want to start posting my comic again, but if it keeps up like this I'm just gonna go and get a Tumblr or a ComicPress site. This is ridiculous.
Daniel Cole
Writer/Artist,Carbon and Space
Magazine Editor,The Frontiersman
www.brokenfrontier.com
Twitter:@CarbonandSpace

Ozoneocean at 9:26AM, June 2, 2012
(online)
Same here, I've contacted Woweio about it though and apparently a fix is happening.
Chernobog at 10:26AM, June 2, 2012
(offline)
Hopefully sooner than later. The 502's on this site have always aggravated me, but this is getting into cartoonish realms of obnoxiousness.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
Niccea at 11:18AM, June 2, 2012
(offline)
Chernobog wrote:
Hopefully sooner than later. The 502's on this site have always aggravated me, but this is getting into cartoonish realms of obnoxiousness.
Second
Kroatz at 11:27AM, June 2, 2012
(online)
It happens on every page, including things like uploading pictures. I kinda like it, it's like a gamble every time you click a button.
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
dcole at 11:44AM, June 2, 2012
(online)
Kroatz wrote:
It happens on every page, including things like uploading pictures. I kinda like it, it's like a gamble every time you click a button.
Yes, but in my case if I win, I DON'T set all the things on fire… and I have YET to win.
EDIT: QUICK NOTE - Everytime I post (at least in this thread), the next screen states that there are no messages in this thread. LOVE IT. But not really.
Daniel Cole
Writer/Artist,Carbon and Space
Magazine Editor,The Frontiersman
www.brokenfrontier.com
Twitter:@CarbonandSpace

last edited on June 2, 2012 11:46AM
Ozoneocean at 11:33PM, June 2, 2012
(online)
A full restart was done and the errors fixed.

The “no posts” thing is a bug where the forum returns the NEXT page of that forum thread.
It mistakenly counts AHEAD a page, so it thinks the forum should be on page 34 instead of 33 for example…
So there are “no posts” on page 34. :)

It is irritating but the best fix is to change the page number in the address bar to the right one (minus one) and press “enter”, that will take you to the right place lickedy split!
Niccea at 9:47PM, June 4, 2012
(offline)
I'm about to change the design of the DD Award to a giant 502…cause that is the most dominant feature of the site.
Ozoneocean at 5:58PM, June 5, 2012
(online)
Listen to the latest Quackcast where banes and I discus our new horror comic that will make you wet your pants… And it's already the most popular comic on all of DD. :)
The 50…
Pipo at 8:32PM, June 9, 2012
(offline)
Just wondering: In the fix that has been mentioned by Wowio… will it include all the things we have been trudging around like:
The
lack of PQ communication (at least the warning of (0) to exist would be
the thing I am thinking for, for it to mention (1) when there is a new
one; how come requests has it and not PQs which enable more communication inside).
Also the page views and the likes… how will it be worked
in the future and how will that affect the top 10 ranking? (unique
clicks, user likes, etc)
On the search engine… a google internal search would be a good option… many sites use it.
Commander_Chaos at 4:04PM, June 12, 2012
(offline)
El Cid wrote:
I've been trying since last night to upload a page to my comic and every time I do, I get an error message saying “The Connection was reset.” Is there something going on with the site right now? I dunno, it seems like other people are still able to upload, but I've tried like a gazillion times, on three different browsers, and the site just won't let me upload any new pages!

I am now having this exact problem for Bowser's Plan B. It will happily create new pages where I try to but I cannot upload the image file for toffee. I've tried from Safari, Google Chrome, Firefox and even IE7. I have no idea what could be causing the issue, but I'll admit I'm not enormously technical. Any help appreciated, if possible!
Ozoneocean at 10:38PM, June 12, 2012
(online)
Comader Chaos-
I uploaded a test page to your comic here: http://www.drunkduck.com/Bowsers_Plan_B/5396642/
It worked fine.
I'm not sure what the promblem is. Could you try signing out of your account, deleting your cookies and then sliging in and trying again please?
Also, please tryy siging in from another computer and see if you can do an upload Bowsers Plan B from there for me?
Commander_Chaos at 2:10AM, June 13, 2012
(offline)
I've logged out, deleted cookies, logged back in, still no change. I tried from the home PC downstairs and no change either. :-/

Also, unrelated to the bug but how did you get that page to appear before page 1? I have a revised version of page 9 to add and move, and I can't seem to move it past the first page in the list of pages.
Ozoneocean at 3:31AM, June 13, 2012
(online)
That is fricken irritating!
For the page position it's just an admin thing- the default page position is “0”.
If your page is already uploaded I can shift it to any position for you in the admin panel.

About your account issues…
- Do you only get it with that one comic?
- Is it any image file?
- Have your tried uploading different image files with different names?

I seem to remember one stage where I hd an issue like that and it really really annoyed me… I think I solved it by saving the pic in a different format and giving it a new name. (think that was it)
Commander_Chaos at 3:58AM, June 13, 2012
(offline)
So far it isn't limited to that comic, but what is weird about it, is that I was able a week ago to upload navigation buttons, link tiles, as well as a header and a background image.

I tried changing formats for uploading the page, but it hasn't made a difference so far, I'll try a format and name change.

As to page positioning, is there no way to scroll a page manually down through the others? On the old DD it was possible to do that, but here I can only scroll down page one in the list, because the down arrow button disappears. Am I being dense and missing something basic lol?

EDIT: I just tried again and for some reason it went through first time, no fuss no muss. Really, really weird. Thanks for the help with the uploading issue, fingers crossed it doesn't come back!

The page I've been needing to move is also uploaded - since I can't figure it out, could you move it to where #9 should go? Much obliged ozone, you're as helpful as I remember from before!
last edited on June 13, 2012 5:01AM
Ozoneocean at 6:02AM, June 13, 2012
(online)
Done!!!!

Actually, it was a LOT more complicated than I realised… It's super easy to set a page as “0” postion because none of the pages already have the number, but the trouble is that all the other pages already HAVE the rest of the position numbers (1, 2, 3, 4 ,5 etc), so it meant I had to look through your archive in the admin section, find all of the pages before “9” and renumber them one after the other, making the first page “0” instead of “1”, then the next page “1” instead of “2” and so on, so no pages ever have the same postion number…
And wait each time it saves the new info T_T

So it's fixed now!
I don't wanna do that again, hahaha!
All my own silly fault for thinking it would be straight forward ^_^
Gunwallace at 3:51PM, June 17, 2012
(offline)
I want to change my forum signature (and have wanted to do so for some time) but when i try the editing window opens up UNDER some floating ads that I can't get rid of. (I'm using Firefox on a Mac).
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon