Comic Talk and General Discussion *

The duck's 12 step program. Post here if you found a bug/design error.
Speedball at 7:20PM, July 16, 2011
(online)
I too am unable to save any changes I make to the background color of the comic when I activate layout mode. I've tried this in both Safari and Firefox. Haven't noticed any other errors, yet, BUT! There is a feature missing that I kinda miss:
Before, the “comics you own overview” page would have a little panel showing off the most recent comment someone made on one of your pages. There's nothing like that now.
Aelwyn at 7:23PM, July 16, 2011
(online)
El Cid wrote:
It's true! I knew I wasn't crazy! I tried uploading the same image to my image locker and comparing the version it displays in my comic. HUUUUGE difference! The comic templates are compressing the bejeezus out of the images. That… may be something I'm not able to live with.

Notice how much more pixellated the Duck version is than the original. It's VERY noticeable!
I noticed this on my pages as well. It is extreamly noticable on black and white comics, where the lines are the strength. It's definately something I can't live with either.
herio at 8:07PM, July 16, 2011
(online)
im getthing a lot of bad 502 Bad Gateway and i been unable to post my comic on difrent dates when i frst loged in i got a wall of html

lefarce at 8:30PM, July 16, 2011
(online)
dragonrider wrote:
Somewhere along the line here it seems a bit tacky to me for another hosting service to repeatedly post their banner in this forum. they have made no comments on the posts just posted their banner.
The only problem I have had that I haven't seen someone else post, Lucky Dawg and Hot Rod both posted updates, other people commented on the updates but all I got was a blank page. Running Firefox 5.0 Windows 7 with all current updates posted.
What? If this is about me, I don't own Comic Fury. Also I am making posts. I have made posts. I'm posting a post right now. You could, in fact, call me a poster.
Anyway, I'm posting here too much, because I'm done with all this, it's too awful and I can't take it anymore. Somebody wake me up when PQs return, please, so I can take care of some business and get the heck outta here.

El Cid at 8:35PM, July 16, 2011
(online)
I've been PQing people for hours now.

The PQ system's pretty slick btw; it's set up sort of like a little mini forum/chat room.

Too bad about the compression thing, though. I was actually starting to like the new site, just a little. But it may not be usable.
tRickityHouses at 10:09PM, July 16, 2011
(offline)
I cant seem to move pages up and down, like reorganize pages… Idk if its just me. Also the compression thing, is it automatic? and if so is there an optimal image type / size we should be shooting for? most of my images are around 150-250 kb so they look pretty bad, its super noticable and hurts my eyeballs/heart.

-edit- ok pages are moving up and down now. i would love to move it more then one space at a time though…

-edit2- ok… i cant move em pass the top part or the bottom. it only gives one option. hahaha silly, but needs fixing
last edited on July 16, 2011 10:21PM
HippieVan at 10:31PM, July 16, 2011
(online)
El Cid wrote:
It's true! I knew I wasn't crazy! I tried uploading the same image to my image locker and comparing the version it displays in my comic. HUUUUGE difference! The comic templates are compressing the bejeezus out of the images. That… may be something I'm not able to live with.

Notice how much more pixellated the Duck version is than the original. It's VERY noticeable!
Holy cripes, I have to echo this. Just had a good look at my comic for the first time(it's been a busy day) and it looks ridiculously terrible.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Dave7 at 10:58PM, July 16, 2011
(online)
Hippie Van wrote:
El Cid wrote:

Holy cripes, I have to echo this. Just had a good look at my comic for the first time(it's been a busy day) and it looks ridiculously terrible.
Same here. I just took a good look at some of my pages and noticed it, too. Can someone please fix this?
Post your concerns about the preview page! Support raw html! http://getsatisfaction.com/drunkduck/topics
]http://getsatisfaction.com/drunkduck/topics

“That is not dead can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons death may die.”
~H.P. Lovecraft

Chernobog at 11:32PM, July 16, 2011
(offline)
All right, I haven't seen anyone else mention it, so here goes.
Stats.
Where are they? And I don't mean the tab, I see that much on my edit screen.
The origin date of the comic is completely wrong. I did not start my comic this July, but that's even something I can look over.
Rather, pageviews are completely dead as far as I can tell. It just sits at zero no matter who goes to my comic. Also, there's obviously a ranking system still in effect as the top 10 still exists… so why can't I see where I'm at? This is frustrating. I'm not super concerned about my placement so much as I can't tell if people are looking unless they make comments. I have a good amount of readers, but a lot of them aren't real chatty, if you follow. Right now, it just functions as the old DD Alerter did, showing people who fav'd the comic. I feel absolutely blind right now as a result of this (and I'm not just talking seizure inducing forum colors.)
There's also no way to tell who made the last comment as on the old site. The benefit to that is if someone made a comment on an older comic, you at least had a chance to see it via direct link. I have over 400 pages right now on AG, so without that link, this is even less feasible.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 16, 2011 11:37PM
OnlyFoolsAndVikings at 12:00AM, July 17, 2011
(offline)
Yeah this pixelating of comic images is REALLY annoying, and completely unacceptable. I've even set my comics to the size limits and its STILL being compressed and screwed up.
:( This is really disappointing. I don't think I'll continue to update if this remains. It's preeeeeeetty shit.
of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.
EXCUSE ME WHILE I STROKE MY MOUSTACHE IN A SUGGESTIVE MANNER!
Hawk at 12:13AM, July 17, 2011
(online)
El Cid wrote:

… I had to see it on my own comic to believe it, but it's true.

(right click and choose “View Image” to see full size. The forum's formatting will shrink it.)
I usually save the comic images I post at about 75% Quality on the compression (9 out of 12 in Photoshop). What appears on The Duck seems to be about 50% (6 out of 12) or possibly a bit less. Red portions of your images are always the first to suffer when compression gets out of hand, and you can see the red falling apart in my image and El Cid's.
So now I have to wonder… is The Duck adding the compression as each image is displayed (in a temporary way), or did all of the images we've uploaded get run through a permanent batch process when they transferred the site? If it's the latter, and my entire backlog of comic pages is permanently muddy, I will be displeased.
VegaX at 12:50AM, July 17, 2011
(offline)
I'm afraid that it most likely is permanent, unless they migrate the pages again using no compression this is it. Which of course is devestating. Gone are any chance of displaying crisp artwork.
I checked my own comics and others and all pages have that compression noise around everything. Linework, ballons, text. It all looks terrible… :(

last edited on July 17, 2011 12:54AM
kyupol at 2:31AM, July 17, 2011
(online)
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE HTML EDITING?!?
… thats it, folks. ;)
OnlyFoolsAndVikings at 3:01AM, July 17, 2011
(offline)

VegaX wrote:
I'm afraid that it most likely is permanent, unless they migrate the pages again using no compression this is it. Which of course is devestating. Gone are any chance of displaying crisp artwork.

That.

Is.

Fucking.

Rediculous.
I am really pissed off about that. What's the point of having a site where you upload artwork, only to have it compressed as made to look like a dog's breakfast? It defeats the entirepurpose!
I'm sorry, but that is just rediculous!
last edited on July 17, 2011 3:04AM
El Cid at 4:30AM, July 17, 2011
(online)
VegaX wrote:
I'm afraid that it most likely is permanent, unless they migrate the pages again using no compression this is it. Which of course is devestating. Gone are any chance of displaying crisp artwork…
When I heard they were going to shrink the images to 960 pixels across, I pretty much anticipated that my archive was going to be compressed beyond recognition. I accepted that and was fully prepared that I'd likely have to re-upload higher quality versions at some point when the site was back up. I do not expect them to go back and retransfer everyone's images at full quality, if that's even possible.

What I did NOT anticipate (and still find hard to believe) is that all new comic pages being uploaded now are to be compressed as well. That, I don't understand. Not only is it not acceptable, but it's not even sane! Is this an intentional new design feature or did somebody just forget to remove the compression feature after the site went live? That's the only explanation I can even fathom. Really, I'd like to hear it from the horse's mouth that it is the intention of the powers that be to run this place as an art site that does not properly display art.
herio at 4:30AM, July 17, 2011
(online)
i just got this and why cant i start a new comic

last edited on July 17, 2011 4:55AM
OnlyFoolsAndVikings at 4:59AM, July 17, 2011
(offline)
@Herio

Oh wow. That's really… really weird. Is it coming up every time you try to do anything?
El Cid at 5:01AM, July 17, 2011
(online)
I got the same thing when I uploaded a new page just now. The page did go through, however. But that “SMTPRecipientsRefused” screen is just annoying.
abrahamlincoln at 5:19AM, July 17, 2011
(offline)
Product Placement wrote:
abrahamlincoln wrote:
How about not being to log in?
That might just be a damn problem.
Yep. Had that issue too. The usernamebar is case sensitive, so you have to watch out how you write your name.
Seriously, you guys really should get rid of the case sensitive thing in names. It's just a recipy for cases where people sign up, using names of other users. I can totally see people doing that to mess with others.
Size of my username: I am the 1337 Master (20 characters, 16 without spaces, supposedly 3 capitals)
Size of my password. ******************* (19 characters, supposted to be 0 capitals)
but apparently there's capitals I don't know about. :|
And Reset password doesn't (or didn't) work when I tried it.
And I might have just tried every variation.
I am the 1337 Master.

But you may call me by this not completely stupid name.
harkovast at 6:38AM, July 17, 2011
(online)
Its compressing images?
Seriously?
Well I tried to update on the Duck today and it worked….sorta.
It did update, but it gave me a wierd error message everytime, making me think it hadn't so I updated the page 3 times.
“You're seeing this error because you haveDEBUG = Truein your Django settings file. Change that toFalse, and Django will display a standard 500 page.”
Any idea what that message means?
Also, It sent notifications to people that I had updated, when I deleted the duplicate pages….which is clearly just ridiculous.
I am feeling so glad I set up my own site before all this stupid revamp crap began.

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
abrahamlincoln at 6:55AM, July 17, 2011
(offline)
PQ's are working again. (or at least for me)

When replying, forums show posts not by closest to you but back a bit and then to the end. (if that makes sense…)

And…reccomendation for when people get “the Bad Gateway thing”, close the browser and reopen it. If not you'll keep getting them for a while.

And I created and updated a comic (3 times), without error, so I don't understand where the issues there are coming from having not run into them.

BTW-putting enters in posts is stupid yet I can still do it.

JUST ANNOYING though.
I am the 1337 Master.

last edited on July 17, 2011 6:57AM
abrahamlincoln at 6:59AM, July 17, 2011
(offline)
and for some reason there's five random forums with absolutely no posts in the forum games.
I am the 1337 Master.

skm28 at 7:11AM, July 17, 2011
(online)
I can log in, but cannot find preferences. I was looking for that because it seems my permission to view any “A” rated comics seems to have disappeared. So evn though it shows I am logged in, it keeps telling me I'm not when I rty to view some comics
ayesinback at 7:16AM, July 17, 2011
(online)
abrahamlincoln wrote:
PQ's are working again. (or at least for me)
God knows how this post will turn out.
I received a PQ sent after this site went live, but the archive of PQs is still inaccessible. And, it looks like the only way to PQ someone is to find a post they've made in the forum. I don't see how to {PQ them from their profile or their comic.

Abe = 1337. It explains so much about Mary Todd.
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
thefightingstranger at 7:37AM, July 17, 2011
(online)
dragonrider wrote:
Somewhere along the line here it seems a bit tacky to me for another hosting service to repeatedly post their banner in this forum. they have made no comments on the posts just posted their banner.
The only problem I have had that I haven't seen someone else post, Lucky Dawg and Hot Rod both posted updates, other people commented on the updates but all I got was a blank page. Running Firefox 5.0 Windows 7 with all current updates posted.
I attempted to re-upload a page, since my last batch of updates for Lucky Dawg and Fighting Stranger the pages themselves vanished. But when I tried to put up the page, it said the request entity was too large.
Not too mention, as others have pointed out, all my pages are fuzzy. So now what? Do I go back and shrink every single page to meet new Drunk The Duck standards?
Having a new website with fancy bell & whistles is nice, but not at the expense of image quality.
Hurricane Ivan at 7:40AM, July 17, 2011
(online)
Several problems:
First and foremost, whenever I try to upload an image I get a page full of code of some sort with a message down the bottom saying:
“You're seeing this error because you haveDEBUG = Truein your Django settings file. Change that toFalse, and Django will display a standard 500 page.”
I also seem to be unable to update my thumbnail and header, as whenever I try to do so and press save, I get the failed to load picture image (the cross thing) and nothing changes.

Mr Kaos at 7:41AM, July 17, 2011
(online)
Finally got in here.. the logins kept to lead me to a debug page. But now it is fixed which is good. :)

about the favourites. shouldn't the updated ones be on the top?

the list with favourite is too senstive. Every time i click on it it shows up.. so i move the mouse to the list and it goes away before i can blink. :/
VegaX at 7:51AM, July 17, 2011
(offline)
I do strongely hope and believe that the image compression thing is just a big and clumsy mistake. The whole thing feels so silly it can not possibly be a planned implementation. Right?

Question is, what will be done to fix it? Re-copy all the comic images again? For now i hope that they can quickly remove the compression on NEW uploads, and then we're somewhere at least. As it is i see no point in uploading anything when the pages end up looking like crap.

darth_paul at 8:21AM, July 17, 2011
(offline)
Yep, my pages are compressed and pixelated too. As was said above it really shows up in anything that's red. Haven't tried to change the page formatting or add any headers or buttons though. Will do it when I have more time later. Also, for some reason I can log in on my PC running Windows XP w/ Firefox 5, but I can't log in with my iPhone, although I could yesterday.
Also, everyone's comic start dates are showing up as June/July 2011, so that's something that will need to be fixed.
last edited on July 17, 2011 8:23AM
demontales at 8:51AM, July 17, 2011
(online)
@Lincoln:
on your other account your name is viewed like this:
I Am The 1337 Master
I imagine that usernames show like they are typed in

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon