Comic Talk and General Discussion *

The duck's 12 step program. Post here if you found a bug/design error.
Niccea at 6:42PM, July 18, 2011
(offline)
srhdt wrote:
usedbooks wrote:
More a pet peeve than a bug, but are we not allowed to use transparent gifs for buttons? They were converted, even when they were uploaded at the correct size (150 pixels wide). That kinda sucks, imo. Transparency makes for much more streamlined site designs.
I don't mean to complain about it (well, maybe a little). Just asking if there's any way to make it work.

(And thanks for making the links work. ;) )

I don't know the answer to this but will get back to you tomorrow when the programmer is back in the office! :)
My buttons are transparent .gifs, now they didn't transfer into the links
Stig Hemmer at 7:13PM, July 18, 2011
(online)
There are a number of links floating around on this format:
…/index.php?p=…
These are old links to specific comic pages.
I don't expect these links to work, since you have renumbered the pages during the changeover.
However, it would be nice if they at least gave the right comic, if not the right page. So, a link or redirect to the main oage of thecomic would be nice.
Josh Holley at 8:12PM, July 18, 2011
(online)
if this has already been addressed, I apologize…
the old site's control panel used to show your comics AND THE LATEST COMMENT/POST on one of their pages — is this a feature that has disappeared or is it a bug?
(…I would've just thought it was the fact that I don't have any comments yet, but I actually got one and it didn't show up in the control panel, I just happened to find it)
I ask because I thought that was a fantastic feature to communicate with fans/friends about specific pages/get feedback, etc…
I'm actually enjoying the new site aside from the few bugs I've encountered (all mentioned in this forum already -mainly the misalignment of items on pages, uploading and the page layout editor)
keep up the great work and thanks for putting up with all of us! =)
Mr Kaos at 9:00PM, July 18, 2011
(online)
Anyone got a problem with logouts on DD?
I get kicked out after a while and have to log in again over and over.
it is an annoying bug that i hope it will be fixed. i know you people are too busy so it is ok.
Keep up the great work. :)
HippieVan at 9:40PM, July 18, 2011
(online)
The site just disappeared completely for a minute. Just got a “Bad Gateway Error”.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Lopriest at 11:34PM, July 18, 2011
(online)
Still unable to update. Get 502 error trying to load new page.
synwells at 12:34AM, July 19, 2011
(offline)
Can't seem to leave comments on any comic. The say it button seems to have been deactivated. Anyone else come across that problem?
skoolmunkee at 1:33AM, July 19, 2011
(offline)
Josh Holley wrote:
if this has already been addressed, I apologize…
the old site's control panel used to show your comics AND THE LATEST COMMENT/POST on one of their pages — is this a feature that has disappeared or is it a bug?
They do intend to have a more robust comment management system (more like the old days of DD) and including things like being able to reply to comments, etc… but it wasn't going to be done by launch, so it's on the list of things to work on in the near-ish future. (I dunno what their priorities are.)
synwells wrote:
Can't seem to leave comments on any comic. The say it button seems to have been deactivated. Anyone else come across that problem?
Just to make sure, you're logged in right? What browser are you using?
IT'S OLD BATMAN
OnlyFoolsAndVikings at 2:49AM, July 19, 2011
(offline)
I've been getting a lot of “502 Bad Gateway” stuff, still, and a few times a “504 time out error”, but I don't know whether this is on my end or yours.

When I try to comment on comics, I get logged out for no reason and then nothing is posted. This has happened three or four times.

And, I know this has been said before,though mostly with exaggeration, and I feel bad bringing it up because its been mentioned so many times, but staring at the yellow forumsand the pale blue links in particular on the yellowreallyhurts my eyes, and I'm not just saying that because I don't like them. I mean it reall hurts, and after five minutes I have to close because I'm getting pains in my eyes.
of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.
EXCUSE ME WHILE I STROKE MY MOUSTACHE IN A SUGGESTIVE MANNER!
last edited on July 19, 2011 2:50AM
Dumok at 4:20AM, July 19, 2011
(online)
My pages were scheduled to update on set times, but now my buffer was all blown even though the pages Were set to come out MONTHS from now.
Tantz_Aerine at 4:48AM, July 19, 2011
(online)
srhdt wrote:
Tantz Aerine wrote:
srhdt thank you very much.It worked and it is now beautiful.
I don't know what to tell you either because those steps you mentioned were the exact steps I was doing too. Shall I assume then that I still can't do it myself? :( (I dare not touch it now)

It might just be the settings on your browser. Do you have java disabled or something? Make sure you're using the latest version of Chome for best results right now.
I have (and had) java enabled and I am using the latest version of google chrome.
I am going to try to upload some navigator buttons soon and see how that works.
Also, for the subpages, does html work generally or only a few commands?
skoolmunkee at 7:09AM, July 19, 2011
(offline)
When sending PQs, usernames seem to be case sensitive. If you don't get the capitalization right then the PQ composing screen just reloads.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
skoolmunkee at 7:12AM, July 19, 2011
(offline)
Dumok wrote:
My pages were scheduled to update on set times, but now my buffer was all blown even though the pages Were set to come out MONTHS from now.
What I'm hearing is that this only happens when YOU are viewing the comic, because you are the owner. If people who are not the owner view the comic, they won't see those pages. Try logging out and see where the pages stop?

Regardless that's a pretty silly and confusing way to do it, I'd definitely qualify that as a “design error.”
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Scorpious at 7:26AM, July 19, 2011
(offline)
hi just to report I can't load the top header image on my comics ,, beyond that really like the site new look ,, thanks :)
JazylH at 7:30AM, July 19, 2011
(online)
Just wanted to report the the whole layout I had for my prevous comic is gone. Is ther way to edited the page code , like with the old site.
Also, my comic stats are all gone & my comic shows a launch date od 10th July 2011 which is totally screwed. I hope it's not a permanent thing.

Updated Mondays & Fridays
Darwin at 7:39AM, July 19, 2011
(offline)
Dumok wrote:
What I'm hearing is that this only happens when YOU are viewing the comic, because you are the owner. If people who are not the owner view the comic, they won't see those pages. Try logging out and see where the pages stop?

Regardless that's a pretty silly and confusing way to do it, I'd definitely qualify that as a “design error.”
I actually thought this same thing Dumok, but when I read it was a preview capability with the new platform I merely logged out and rechecked it, logged out I could not see my own updates. Try that and see if it helps.
usedbooks at 7:40AM, July 19, 2011
(online)
skoolmunkee wrote:

Yeah, it is nice to be able to preview pages before they go live, but I'd much prefer the page I'm seeing be the one my readers see, so I don't have to go back a bunch of pages to see if there are any new comments. (And to make sure everything went live correctly without logging out.)
Darwin at 7:52AM, July 19, 2011
(offline)
JazylH wrote:
Just wanted to report the the whole layout I had for my prevous comic is gone. Is ther way to edited the page code , like with the old site.
Also, my comic stats are all gone If you want to add links to your page go to the “links” in your UCP.
BTW in general here…
Why is the header exclusive to the UCP? Wouldn't it be easier to have it be one stop shopping on the edit comic page? Or at least have it in both places?
Hunchdebunch at 8:15AM, July 19, 2011
(online)
I can't change the thumbnail for my comics; anyone else having this problem? The option is there, it lets me choose a file, but once the page reloads it shows a broken image instead of my thumbnail.
skoolmunkee at 9:19AM, July 19, 2011
(offline)
Hunchdebunch, yes, people have reported that. It's in the first post in the thread. :]
OK guys, here is a better version of the current help section up to this point. It's not on DD yet but I thought I'd use Google Sites to quickly put together what I've got.

http://sites.google.com/site/theduckhelp/

Unfortunately the two sections I haven't gotten anything done in yet are the two with all the most features and how-to stuff! I'll be trying to add to those in the next few weeks. I wouldn't turn down contributions. :]
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 19, 2011 9:29AM
fukujinzuke at 9:51AM, July 19, 2011
(online)
Thanks for the fix on the “Assistant –> edit page”!
srhdt at 10:00AM, July 19, 2011
(online)
Hunchdebunch wrote:
I can't change the thumbnail for my comics; anyone else having this problem? The option is there, it lets me choose a file, but once the page reloads it shows a broken image instead of my thumbnail.
What extension and file size is the new thumbnail? Also, what browser are you using?
srhdt at 10:03AM, July 19, 2011
(online)
JazylH wrote:
Also, my comic stats are all gone & my comic shows a launch date od 10th July 2011 which is totally screwed. I hope it's not a permanent thing.
You can't currently edit the code directly, but you can customize your comic page by clicking “edit layout mode” (top right of the sub-links) while on your comic page. Comic stats are still being imported back into the new site. None of the data is gone, and it will eventually appear (importing pageviews for every day of every comic page takes a while).
srhdt at 10:32AM, July 19, 2011
(online)
BULK UPLOADING IS NOW ENABLED AND WORKING! HOORAY!
Or at least it did for me…*fingers crossed*
Dark Ninja at 11:17AM, July 19, 2011
(online)
My comic doesn't seem to have a layout tab at all in the comic editor' and I can't log in to my account without multiple tries.
our morality is what restrains the beast inside each of us
darth_paul at 11:22AM, July 19, 2011
(offline)
No, I'm sure it didn't do that because I'm in GMT and it's never displayed times relative to where I am. For a long time DD was on a CST server and displayed those times, but not long ago moved to a PST one (and I can't remember if they moved the displayed server time to CST to match the old site or not….). Is it possible that's clouding the issue?
Seriously? Well, that's probably it then. I guess I was just fortunate enough to be living in the same time zone that the site's servers were on and seeing everything the same. Although, I have to say that this is the only site anywhere on the web that I've ever been to where the ability to choose your own time zone for the displays isn't an option. I sure hope that this little thing is implemented in the future.
In other more pressing matters, I still can't log into the site using Safari on my iPhone if I want to check it when I'm not at home on a computer. But it works fine otherwise.
I Am The 1337 Master at 11:24AM, July 19, 2011
(offline)
The Online/Offline text underneath peoples av's might be wrong.
Seeing as it thinks I'm offline, and labels almost everyone as online.
Hunchdebunch at 11:50AM, July 19, 2011
(online)
srhdt wrote:
Hunchdebunch wrote:

What extension and file size is the new thumbnail? Also, what browser are you using?
I can't check the file size right now as the file is on my external hard-drive, but the file extension is a jpg, and I'm using google chrome.
srhdt at 12:05PM, July 19, 2011
(online)
Hunchdebunch wrote:
srhdt wrote:
Hunchdebunch wrote:

I can't check the file size right now as the file is on my external hard-drive, but the file extension is a jpg, and I'm using google chrome.
We think the issue may be comic-specific, as I just ran into the same thing with another comic. It seems like no file will upload correctly as a thumbnail for this one comic I found (just shows broken image link like you), whereas the same files upload fine as thumbnails on another comic.
Once we figure out exactly what the issue is with that comic I'll get back to you. What was the name of the comic you're having this problem on?
VegaX at 1:25PM, July 19, 2011
(offline)
Any update on the image compression problem?
Will you be able to turn it OFF for new uploaded pages and files in a near future?

Thankful for any update you can give us!

last edited on July 19, 2011 1:26PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon