Comic Talk and General Discussion *

We prefered the drunk part
jninjashadow at 9:16PM, July 15, 2011
(online)
If you are like me, you are no fan of this whole “The Duck” and all its new look. It all feels so… cheap. It feels sold out, mass appealing, flavourless, templated crap. I liked the more layed back, classic Drunk Duck. This whole “The Duck” reads like its trying to be a gritty reboot… from the 90s. I also miss the old colours. Now everything is a shade of painfull brights and sickening turquoise. So then, vent your frustratons here abouut these changes, lament about the good old days, mourn the death of our dear friend the DRUNK duck.
Why that's just crazy enough to walrus!
demontales at 4:55PM, July 17, 2011
(online)
Yeah, DRUNKduck was nice, TheDuck, I do not really care about it. This is actually probably my last post on here.
mike_mcpeeper at 5:23PM, July 17, 2011
(online)
Well, I'm happy for Drunk Duck. He finally got that help that he so desperately needed. I mean, did you even SEE him at the last year's Christmas party!?
dcole at 7:07AM, July 18, 2011
(online)
mike_mcpeeper wrote:
Well, I'm happy for Drunk Duck. He finally got that help that he so desperately needed. I mean, did you even SEE him at the last year's Christmas party!?
I didn't just see him - he thought it'd be fun to play “7 Minutes in Heaven.”
… Except it was an hour… In his Volvo… *sobs*
Daniel Cole
Writer/Artist,Carbon and Space
Magazine Editor,The Frontiersman
www.brokenfrontier.com
Twitter:@CarbonandSpace

last edited on July 18, 2011 7:09AM
ayesinback at 9:34AM, July 18, 2011
(online)
I think it's a bit backwards, this DD >> TD

It's not TD. The poor little mallard has the DTs. shockingly bad. somebody give him a shot.
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
Product Placement at 12:49PM, July 18, 2011
(online)
I'm on the “Liked the old name better” side. Would also like something done about the color scheme.
I was just staying more silent about it because I'm waiting for them to catch up on all the bug reporting right now. They don't have time to think about stuff like that so I promise you that this thread is gonna be ignored.
The number 1 thing they could do is fix the color of the forum. This “black on dark yellow” thing is just not gonna work. And don't even get me started on green/red text on yellow surface…

An early suggestion I made, that I hope to see as a future feature is a customizable color scheme; where you get to pick your own colors for the site.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
ayesinback at 1:44PM, July 18, 2011
(online)
(a) it's ridiculous that I find myself counting to 10 before I start typing, only hoping that the end post is readable.

(b) and it's stupid that I have to hit enter five times hoping that I might get one extra line space

© the color scheme is directly related to the name. There is no duck here (and forget about a quail). There is an egg. This teal, I guess, represents the mallard — that color and the egg and “The Duck” are what's left of the little drunk duck character.

I point that out because I think that's one of the rationales for the color scheme. Yes, your idea about having changeable color schemes is great, but they didn't even have the foresight to correct links — changeable color schemes will be way down the road

In the mean time we've got this smashed egg yolk color on the teal-colored back of a duck. and the worst text scripting EVER.

it amazes me that the site is in this condition when they initially proposed a move date of 11 May. What were they doing for a month and one half?

Imo, I think Wowio should:

(a) re-activate the old site with a HUGE warning that any updates / changes will not be carried over to the new site (including PQs) and would have to be re-created

(b) close down the old site to all Except for some volunteer users (offering a stipend would be nice) who could access the new site while it's being reconstructed to continually kick the tires as the programmers try to understand (because I don't think they do) what the users need and want.

© When the new site is Actually ready, open the door to some more, very seasoned users to really nail the feedback.

Then unveil the beast.

But I've made suggestions before – ignored. Registered complaints and concerns, and was informed that I didn't understand all the hard work that's been involved.

I think there should be a concerted effort to stop working hard and to start working smart.

If they want the siter to be used, then they should erspect AND incorporate the advice offered by actual users.
I Am The 1337 Master at 2:13PM, July 18, 2011
(offline)
…am I the only one who's gotten used to the color and name?

I actually rather like the scheme, call me crazy. (minus when I see the green along with it. everything else is good enoug for me)

And the name is just a name. Call us what you will, us original duckers are drunk.

and a recall would probably not go over well…(2 weeks when it was supposed to be a couple days…tensions are kinda too high to go offline again-just my sight on it)
last edited on July 18, 2011 2:14PM
ayesinback at 2:33PM, July 18, 2011
(online)
I Am The 1337 Master wrote:
And the name is just a name. Call us what you will, us original duckers are drunk.

and a recall would probably not go over well…(2 weeks when it was supposed to be a couple days…tensions are kinda too high to go offline again-just my sight on it)
Because THIS is going over well? I say let the Emperor know he's naked.
and then if it takes four months to make some decent clothes, then start taking measurements.

oh – and while I respect your right to disagree – there are whole philosophies about the power of names, from different ages, different cultures. imo, in this situation, the entity has been unnamed. Has gone generic.

Has had his dick cut off.
Product Placement at 2:38PM, July 18, 2011
(online)
I Am The 1337 Master wrote:
…am I the only one who's gotten used to the color and name?
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
I Am The 1337 Master at 3:10PM, July 18, 2011
(offline)
yep. :)

guess I'm special like that.

but no this isn't smooth either…hurm…

BURN EVERYTHING. BURN IT TO THE GROUND.
Ryuthehedgewolf at 3:36PM, July 18, 2011
(offline)
The color scheme reminds me of Nickelodeon. The green is like the same exact hue as the “slime” that Nick is so well known for.
I honestly don't mind/care about the colors. It seems to work fine. I also don't mind the name change, because the URL has remained the same, so it doesn't make it any harder to access. The Duck/Quail can just be continued in a comic of some sort.
Although I am not a fan of the new post writing script. It takes a bit to load, and is really more of an inconvenience if anything. I get that they're just making it easier for newer people to make fancy posts (with bold, italics, underline, and what have you) but it's nothing that can't be fixed with a simple Google search or a PQ to a more experienced member.
Also the layout with the individual comic pages seems to be a bit dumbed down. I do however like that it's much simpler, but in the same respect, I can't seem to find how to add the things I want. Something as simple as adding another page seems more difficult than it ought to be.
mike_mcpeeper at 4:59PM, July 18, 2011
(online)
I kind of agree with 1337 Master. I don't see what the big problem is. Maybe I just haven't been back long enough.
ayesinback wrote:
oh – and while I respect your right to disagree – there are whole philosophies about the power of names, from different ages, different cultures. imo, in this situation, the entity has been unnamed. Has gone generic.
Whoa! Let's calm down here bit. Its not like someone went and changed your nation's name. This is a website on the internet, mind you. In ten years this site will most likely not even be known as “The Duck”. They'll probably shorten it to “Duck” or just “uck”. That or it will be a smoldering dead end of a site where a few comics cling onto existence.
ayesinback at 5:25PM, July 18, 2011
(online)
mike_mcpeeper wrote:
I kind of agree with 1337 Master. I don't see what the big problem is. Maybe I just haven't been back long enough.
ayesinback wrote:
. . .
Whoa! Let's calm down here bit.
Not to worry, Mike

at least not too much

I definitely do care about the name because I think it does denote a unique personality. Dumbing down the name and making it more generic has coincided with dumbing down the site and making the web comics more generic. coincidence?

but “dick” was deliberately mentioned strictly for 1337's amusement. he has a penchant for it, you see.
jninjashadow at 6:38PM, July 18, 2011
(online)
ayesinback wrote:
but “dick” was deliberately mentioned strictly for 1337's amusement. he has a penchant for it, you see.
Its one of the words that gets his attention.
Man, I just miss all the old formats. I knew where everything was. Yeah, I know it's more approachable, but its not like the old way was some advanced ancient language. Also, this yellow is giving e a head ache. Its actually sickening… NOW I GET THE GREEN!! Its the colour of the inevitable vomit!
Why that's just crazy enough to walrus!
I Am The 1337 Master at 5:06AM, July 19, 2011
(offline)
I like dick…

(I hate you guys…-_-)
Neilsama at 1:54PM, July 22, 2011
(offline)
I just passive aggressively call it Drunk Duck, because that's what the URL says. If you want me to call it something else, then do something about that.
Kroatz at 2:01PM, July 22, 2011
(online)
I KNOW the new name and the new logo are probably going to attract more and new people, the sad thing is that they are correct according to design rules. The thing is that design rules often don't work.
I LOVED Drunk Duck, I still LIKE the Duck, he is just less fun sober…
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
Lonnehart at 10:01PM, July 23, 2011
(online)
My two cents…

I don't like this name at all. It feels so… boring, generic and it probably doesn't stand out. DRUNKduck on the other hand felt unique to me. How often is it that you actually see a duck intoxicated from drinking an alcoholic beverage?
blindsk at 11:04PM, July 23, 2011
(online)
Funny you mention it. Always seemed to me like the original name catered specifically to people that enjoy reading comics. Who were we offending again?
Maybe there is one benefit to the color scheme. It makes readers desparate enough to avoid gouging their eyes out clicking to your comic so that they can be relieved by a real color scheme. Too bad it also makes the forums unrelentingly painful to browse though.
Walrus at 11:17AM, July 31, 2011
(online)
I've been on this website since 2007, and sure I hate to see the Duck, quail and half of the website's name go. After seeing if for four years, I get used to it. However, they're going to have a harder time finding advertizers when the webiste is called DRUNKduck. Sure, it could be worse, and it's a webcomic site, but there are advertizers out there that would refuse to have their product on a website with the word drunk in it.
But in the end, this is just an attempt at making a larger profit, which in turn allows them to upgrade the site more than once every two years. That means a faster duck for all of us.
Lonnehart at 12:07AM, Aug. 1, 2011
(online)
Walrus wrote:
I've been on this website since 2007, and sure I hate to see the Duck, quail and half of the website's name go. After seeing if for four years, I get used to it. However, they're going to have a harder time finding advertizers when the webiste is called DRUNKduck. Sure, it could be worse, and it's a webcomic site, but there are advertizers out there that would refuse to have their product on a website with the word drunk in it.
But in the end, this is just an attempt at making a larger profit, which in turn allows them to upgrade the site more than once every two years. That means a faster duck for all of us.
I guess the next logical step to gaining more “advertisers” would be to remove the “Adult” comics category and delete all the adult comics on the site…
Walrus at 9:52PM, Aug. 1, 2011
(online)
Lonnehart wrote:
Walrus wrote:
I've been on this website since 2007, and sure I hate to see the Duck, quail and half of the website's name go. After seeing if for four years, I get used to it. However, they're going to have a harder time finding advertisers when the webiste is called DRUNKduck. Sure, it could be worse, and it's a webcomic site, but there are advertisers out there that would refuse to have their product on a website with the word drunk in it.
I guess the next logical step to gaining more “advertisers” would be to remove the “Adult” comics category and delete all the adult comics on the site…
This is what happens when I post at three in the morning on the forums. Spelling errors, incoherency and all.
bravo1102 at 11:16AM, Aug. 2, 2011
(offline)
You know since the url is still drunkduck why can't the name be drunkduck? Do they assume people don't read the address line and just look at the logo?
You do a search it still comes up as Drunkduck. So the logo being “The Duck” only applies to the the logo on the page and nowhere else. So why not change the name back to reflect everything else that has to do with the site.
It'd be like having the address being “LIVE_NUDE_GIRLS_F**K_P***Y” and the site being Knitting for Seniors
Kroatz at 6:37AM, Aug. 5, 2011
(online)
There is a seperate site called http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/ that takes you to the exact same site as drunkduck.com, this other website needs a seperate login but it is the same nonetheless. Wowio is probably going to make that the main website soon.
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
ayesinback at 3:37PM, Aug. 5, 2011
(online)
Okay, so I'm like the kid who hollers about the emperor's nakedness, but
This New Site Is NOT about a Duck.
It's about an egg. Go on – check out the new logo. Look at that thar darn background. There's no duck. It's EGG. And it makes total sense. It's two steps backward for the promised one step forward.
LOOK! – biologically mathematical: drunk duck >(stepback)> sober duck >(step back)> egg.
And if you go to http://www.theegg.com/, it says, right there:
Solutions Designed For You
hahahahahaha – oh my, side splitter! hahahaha
last edited on Aug. 5, 2011 3:41PM
skoolmunkee at 1:13AM, Aug. 6, 2011
(offline)
ayesinback, from what I understand they do intend to get the duck and quail back in the logo… or at least they did, I'm not sure if/when they'll actually do it. Last year we got a handful of artists to draw some ducks and quails, and the plan was for those to be rotated through and eventually get more people to do them. Sort of like how Google does those special logos. Unfortunately I think with all the new site stuff going on the logo stuff is probably a super-low priotity.

So, I've handed those ducks and quails over to VegaX for his Duck and Quail comics, he's already using Hawk's as the new page background. :]
IT'S OLD BATMAN
ayesinback at 6:41AM, Aug. 6, 2011
(online)
A LOT has been said, but considering the “move” was suppose to happen in May, and then was re-evaluated and pushed out to July, and then had several false starts before a parade of 502s and 504s occurred – and now this is where we are –

well, laughter is about the best I can do.

The situation reminds me of the movie The Money Pit. It's like we all moved in while the a-frame is still being built. We can hope the site turns out as well as that fictional house did. Unfortunately the current situation is about as funny as that movie was (not much)
usedbooks at 9:33AM, Aug. 6, 2011
(online)
I'm not fond of the color scheme and will call it Drunkduck no matter what the logo says. Aesthetics change, and can be gotten used to. I just want it to be a functional and user friendly site, which it is not yet. Priorities, you know?

~Please let me see my recent update without going back pages or logging out.
~Please give us our stats.
~Please let us see the most recent comment(s) somewhere on the control panel.
~Please show the last post info in the forums.
~Please fix the “last updated” dates on our favorites lists.

~Also a functional WYSIWYG (or even functional bb code) forum and author notes would be greatly appreciate.

While it is technically functioning now, I feel like there are so many obstacles to finding and enjoying all the updates and community on DD at the moment. It takes at least five times longer to do anything here, because the site has been stripped of all the features that inform us of changes and updates to comics and forums.

Once my hands are untied, and I can start enjoying webcomics and the DD community again, we can talk color sheme.
skoolmunkee at 10:47AM, Aug. 6, 2011
(offline)
I know guys, it still needs a lot of work. They know it at Wowio too. All I can really say is that they are working under a lot of pressure/constraints (I can't talk about it) and weren't able to do everything they wanted to do in the time they needed to do it. They're absolutely aware of where the site is falling short.

They've outlined the plan for the near future to me and it sounds all right, if it's what ends up happening. Meanwhile I'm trying to pick my battles here and facilitate what I think can be facilitated. I know a lot is going to depend on people's patience levels but some of this stuff has just ended up being unavoidable. :I
IT'S OLD BATMAN

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon