Al De Baran

Why Al De Baran is ALWAYS late.
KristinH at 9:47AM, March 5, 2008
(online)
Okay, time for an updating (or lack of updating) note. Though I do not feel threatened or anything like that at all, I still feel the need to come to my own defense. I know those that are regular readers of Al De Baran are a very sweet and patient bunch, but I'm sure late/missing updates do get frustrating after a while. I at least owe you guys an explanation behind it all.

Al De Baran is a hobby. It's something that I do for fun. I am not in it for money (*snort* even if I COULD earn money with this thing, that would be considered illegal), I'm not in it for “internet fame”, and I don't do it to try and get some message out there. I just do it for fun. It's a story I started when I was bored one day and made it to amuse a friend (Cho), and I never outgrew it or got tired of it. If no one read Al De Baran, I would still be updating. I'm just as interested in finding out what happens as anyone else that reads this comic.

That being said, since Al De Baran is something I do just for fun, it is rather low on my priorities list. School, work, homework, friends, family, and even sleep for school and work are placed above Al De Baran. My weekdays have been filled to the brim with school, work, homework, studying, and the sleep that gives me the energy to do those things, and my weekends have been spent with my friends. (Would YOU put off going out with friends that you don't see often to stay home and work on a sprite comic in your lonely ol' room…?) Sure I waste time on the internet or read or play a video game for a little bit, but I can't be working on things and be busy ALL of the time. My brain needs time to just rest, and (though it may not seem like it) Al De Baran requires a lot of concentration and thought. I need to plan out the idea, the joke, the timing of the joke in the four panels, the angle of the background, the placement of the sprites, the editing of the sprites if they need to be edited, putting the sprites together, adding in minor details (like weapons or sunburns), forming the dialogue, putting the dialogue in the word bubbles, and giving it finishing touches. Al De Baran is something that I don't just slap together on a whim, believe it or not (he he).

I felt that you guys should know the reasons why I'm constantly late in updating. I do feel bad for missing updates, and I still always have that jolt, “OHH, I forgot to update Al De Baran!!” whenever I forget to make a strip. But I think it's almost a relief that I have that guilt and drive to update on time. Sure, I don't treat it THAT seriously (“I MUST UPDATE BEFORE MIDNIGHT!!” ), but I do feel that it is a responsibility of mine to update on time…or at least close to on time. But just keep in mind that whenever you see that Al De Baran missed YET ANOTHER update, the author may have bigger and more important things to attend to.

I'll still try to update on Mondays and Thursdays, and I'll still feel bad and apologize every time I miss an update or am late for one, and I felt that I should tell you guys these things. But thank you for being so patient! You guys are really great~ I mean it!
last edited on July 18, 2011 10:25AM
Raikon at 3:34PM, March 5, 2008
(offline)
I think you should take your time making your comics. Rushing them to get them on time is bad and they will end up worse than your average.

Just a tip.
HeeroYui at 5:10PM, March 5, 2008
(online)
Just like my comic!

Unlike you though. I only just recently updated from over a month… /swt/swt2/wah

I don't know about other people. But I wouldn't even mind if the comic upated even once every 2 weeks, or even a month. But even farther more. It's not half bad talking on the comment board about other people about anything. Weither it be about the comic or anything else.

Do what you need to do, I can be paitent. =3
“How could I give trust, when I can't even trust myself…?”

Vincent Swiftstrike
HeeroYui at 1:35AM, March 13, 2008
(online)
I just thought of an idea. As simple as it is.

Why not just make the comic updated once a week, but during that once a week, the comic is 8 panels? Not just 4?

That way you don't have to work, update, work, update, work, update. Etc.

And even if you get it half done, litterly. It will at least be an update. =)

Just a thought.

Vincent Swiftstrike
KristinH at 10:00PM, March 13, 2008
(online)
HeeroYui
I just thought of an idea. As simple as it is.

Why not just make the comic updated once a week, but during that once a week, the comic is 8 panels? Not just 4?

That way you don't have to work, update, work, update, work, update. Etc.

And even if you get it half done, litterly. It will at least be an update. =)

Just a thought.

Hmm…I'll consider that. It seems like I only update once a week anyways. But I DO know that I need to come up with some way to make updates more consistent, because my current plan just does not seem to be working well.
Choeth at 10:29PM, March 13, 2008
(offline)
I agree with Heero :3 You should update once a week. That way you don't have to be soo stressed with RL and keeping up with the comic. We love your work and we can wait since you always come out with good qaulity comic strips :3 Tis worth the wait.
HeeroYui at 9:10PM, March 14, 2008
(online)
I always have a hard time finding the reply button. xD

Anyways, even if it wasn't a double stip per week. I'm sure everyone. (That's humanly enough to understand…) Wouldn't even mind if you updated once a week.

Last thing we need is you to get so frizzled in your life that you go kaboom. o.oa

Vincent Swiftstrike

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved