Off Hours Forum

A little about Used Books "actors"
usedbooks at 11:21AM, Dec. 21, 2007
(online)
I'm following TitanOne's lead here… I thought I'd mention my own thought processes in defining the “actors,” since we are all a bit different.

Let it be known that my three main comic characters (the “ladies” ) are based on my roommates and myself. I actually watered down their real characters and made them “deeper” to be believable. Kaida is far more thoughtful and forgiving than my friend Gael, for example. (Yeah, I named the “actress” after my roommate.) Here is a picture of us if anyone is curious.

So, I have a weird conundrum, designing actors that play characters that are based on real people… – The other ladies will be showing up later. I just wanted to start things off with the “old married couple.” (My male characters are not based on anyone, btw.)
last edited on July 18, 2011 10:23AM
TitanOne at 1:36PM, Dec. 21, 2007
(offline)
Who is whom in the photo if I may ask? Is that you in the center? :)
usedbooks at 1:53PM, Dec. 21, 2007
(online)
Yeah, I'm in the center. The character Seiko is very loosely based on me. Seiko plays up the traits my friends accuse and tease me of, like being too generous with panhandlers, shy around men, academic, and a smart-alack know-it-all.

My friend Gael (Kaida is based on her) is on the left, and Bethany (Yuki) is on the right. Gael (and Kaida) collects weapons and books, wears sunglasses all the time, and likes to appear intimidating. Bethany (and Yuki) is cheerful and often childlike, but also has a strong libido and likes to do the bar scene and let loose.

(The characters' physical builds are all very different from us. I made Kaida the thinnest, but Gael is the “widest” of us. And Seiko is the smallest, while I'm the tallest.)

Our cat is Thomas. Used Books has a cat too, somewhat similar in nature to Thomas.

Oh, and I guess I should mention that the actor “Eric” plays an antagonist. This page defines the character well. It's really fun to use him for the Off Hours project, btw. ;)
dueeast at 2:14PM, Dec. 21, 2007
(offline)
There's something disturbingly hilarious about that picture… o_0 lol!

usedbooks
Gael (and Kaida) collects weapons and books, wears sunglasses all the time, and likes to appear intimidating.

usedbooks at 2:18PM, Dec. 21, 2007
(online)
dueeast
It's Gael's “Forensics for Dummies” book. At least, that always makes me laugh… XD
dueeast at 2:43PM, Dec. 21, 2007
(offline)
I was referring to the cat sniffing the front of what looks like a mini-crossbow. ^_^

But the Forensics For Dummies is funny, too!

usedbooks
dueeast
It's Gael's “Forensics for Dummies” book. At least, that always makes me laugh… XD
usedbooks at 6:49AM, Dec. 22, 2007
(online)
dueeast
I was referring to the cat sniffing the front of what looks like a mini-crossbow. ^_^
It is a working hand crossbow. She has a few other real weapons too. I like to stay on her good side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll say a little more about my ideas for the “actors” Gael and Eric, since I have considered who they are for a while. (And Tantz's post pressured me. :-p )

If you read Used Books, you'll know that they play a divorced couple who quite literally want to kill each other, though we don't really know the details why. (Fudo may not need a reason. Murder is his past time. Kaida is just reciprocating.) They used to be assassins together, but now Fudo is feral, and Kaida is attempting to be a peaceful, normal individual. Theirs is the most interesting (and volatile) relationship of the series. They are both among the most dynamic characters, with morality and relationships in constant flux.

I figured their actors would have really good chemistry. They are married, for 12 years. They have three young kids (who are not allowed to watch their series – for obvious reasons). Gael is a professional actress, but fairly down to earth. She has a lot of star quality, and could be cast in any number of roles (lean, dark-haired 30-something with a range). She met and married Eric young. He's a stay-at-home dad who accidentally landed the role of Fudo when taking Gael for auditions. They had good chemistry, and he can play “menacing.” Eric enjoys acting, especially legitimate Shakespearean stuff (his character on UB is a reflection of this, long monologues and a sense of madness), but he is cynical. He plays a recurring but not regular character, one he is quite sure will be killed off, and he doesn't think he'll be able to land any other roles. Gael, on the other hand, possesses a great deal of confidence and helps out her fellow actors with advice/experience and encouragement.

Offstage and away from his family, Eric appears as a quiet, brooding type, but he is both playful and open around his wife. Gael gets a kick out of their roles on UB, dresses the part even in leisure, and likes to be called Kaida. She loves fans and fame. She gets a kick out of Eric playing up to the public too, which he does only by her coercion.
JustNoPoint at 2:50PM, Dec. 24, 2007
(online)
Hooray for cat people. I have 3 myself that I sometimes want to shoot with a cross bow!

That's a very cool way to design characters you have!
Tantz_Aerine at 10:05AM, Dec. 26, 2007
(online)
I have four cats. (I am sure everyone needed this piece of info). Oh, and a poodle! lol!

I love that extra piece, about UB c's. Seems like Gael gets a kick out of playing with her husband. In general ;)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon