Townston

The GM Survival Guide
Niccea at 5:43PM, May 22, 2011
(offline)
Here are some tips and tricks for how to be a GM. Veteran GMs as well as newbies should read this. Players should also read this to get a good idea of what they should expect from a GM.

First, the rules for GMing a game that shouldn't change:

* The GM must maintain an accurate count of who is dead/alive and the number of roles left.
* Clues for the game must be gender neutral or masculine due to the fact that there is a very small female population for the game.
* GMs may accept requests for narrations, but they cannot be harmful to other players. Slightly misleading is ok, but lines need to be drawn at a point where it is a clue that will make the players totally zone in on another player. Like “lightsaber,” “dear ears,” yadda yadda.
* The GM must have a rule about inactivity. Inactive players cause the game to drag on.
* The usual for clues to point to is anything on the profile page, the first 5 pages of comics, usernames, avatars, or signatures. Sometimes clues are based on what is said during the game, but usually only used as a last resort. It would be helpful for the GM to notify the players where clues come from, though not required.

Now some interpretations that some veteran's made a couple of years ago(If I put yours up, feel free to make addendums seeing that these posts were two years old):

Product Placement
Product Placement's interpretations of the rules.

*Kills are arranged in a first come first serve bases. Therefore if two people declare that they're gonna kill each other, the one who sends in their kill requests first will succeed.

*A protection lasts entire night. A person protected by a paramedic, bodyguard and other possible protection roles can't be killed, even if his protector dies that same night. While it sounds strange that a person can't be killed after his bodyguard has been taken cared of, even though the kill request to kill the protected person comes in AFTER the protector has been killed, I will rule that the protection lasts all night. The reason behind my decision is explained in the next paragraph.

*If a certain action is described to last a whole turn or more, it will continue to do so regardless if the person dies the same night. The only requirement for whether or not the action succeeds is if the player performing it manages to perform the action BEFORE he is killed.

*If a whole turn action is described to take effect during the turn it's performed (like protection) it will take effect retroactively in addition to lasting the remainder of the turn. If a person is targeted to be killed and a paramedic states that this person will be protected after the kill request has been sent in, the person will be protected regardless. Also if the whole turn action is described to take place AFTER the turn, it will not affect the person during the turn it is activated. For example a horse head attack (which I would describe to last a day and a night cycle) would take effect AFTER the end of the night narration and thus would not inhibit the person who was targeted with that action during the same night. Pay attention to whether or not the action is described to take place during the turn it is activated or after the turn.

*The horse head attack can only affect the same person once. After that he becomes immune to it.

*The detective has been tuned down a little bit. From now on, he is unable to see the specific roles that players have. He is only able to see if the person is pro-town or a criminal. That way, it becomes harder for the villagers to figure out what roles everyone has.

Whenever I think of more rule interpretations I will add it to this list. If somebody asks me about my opinion on a particular rule, I may add my response to this list as well.

Please ask me for any clarifications if there's something you don't understand. Also if you do understand them but find that I worded my sentences in an overly confusing manner, feel free to let me know. It's the only way I'll learn to write them properly.

I reserve right to alter my interpretations should I change my mind on a particular subject.

If you wish follow these interpretations and would like to make a reference to this post, simply copy “this link location” and post it wherever you need to post it.

Niccea
Niccea's interpretations of the rules.

Kills are arranged in a first come first serve bases. Therefore if two people declare that they're gonna kill each other, the one who sends in their kill requests first will succeed. I agree with this, but I mix it up a little bit just so it is fair. It is still in order but I change where it starts.

A protection lasts entire night. A person protected by a paramedic, bodyguard and other possible protection roles can't be killed, even if his protector dies that same night. While it sounds strange that a person can't be killed after his bodyguard has been taken cared of, even though the kill request to kill the protected person comes in AFTER the protector has been killed, I will rule that the protection lasts all night. The reason behind my decision is explained in the next paragraph. (Actually I haven't run into this before, but I believe I would go with this. As long as the protector wasn't killed before he sent in his protection)

If a certain action is described to last a whole turn or more, it will continue to do so regardless if the person dies the same night. The only requirement for whether or not the action succeeds is if the player performing it manages to perform the action BEFORE he is killed. (Makes sense)

Protection is not retroactive because of the first come first serve thing. If the paramedic is too late they are too late.

TheFlyingGreenMonkey
TFGM's interpretations of the rules.

Kills are arranged in a first come first serve bases. Therefore if two people declare that they're gonna kill each other, the one who sends in their kill requests first will succeed.

Protection does not last through the entire night. A person protected by a paramedic, bodyguard and other possible roles can be killed, if the protecter dies that night before the protectie is targeted. So if Medic A protects Citizen B and is killed by Killer A the protection is canceled from the point the hit for Medic A is recieced. The same goes for bodyguards and godfather's BC power. If the bodyguards die before Killer A sends in his action to kill Mayor A then Mayor A is dead. The reason is as follows, you can't protect someone if your DEAD. Medics can still save someone who was attacked before they sent in their action.

Actions take place as soon as they are able. So a horsehead if timed right can disable a players night action the night it sent. If Godfather A targets Vig A before he can send in his night action then Vig A cannot use there action for that night. Nor can they use anyday actions or vote. But if Vig A managed to send in his action first then he will lose his next day and night action.

The Mad Hatter is a clever one and is the only one to be able to kill the Paranoid single handed. Though at the cost of his own life.

Godfather can not use the horsehead on the same person twice in a row.

Detective can not look up the election votes.

I pulled these from the Mafia discussion thread. I think there might have been some other interpretations down the line, but it is hard to swim through that thread to specifically look for these types of posts. If any members have their rule interpretations or just some tips and tricks, please post them here.
last edited on July 18, 2011 10:17AM
Niccea at 11:13AM, June 21, 2011
(offline)
I would like to make a tip to future GMs. This is something I try to do when I GM. I make sure I have enough time. I'm not saying one must dedicate the whole day to GMing. I sure as hell don't. But I believe that A GM should be on at three different times during the day to make sure that the votes are updated, questions are answered, etc. When the GM isn't around enough, it is hard to gather the team because they don't know where the vote is going at the moment. Late posted vote counts have actually cost lives in some games. Either the godfather or the pardoner doesn't get the cancel in. I usually get on in the morning, in the afternoon, and night about an hour or so before the narration. I can't always do it, but if I know that the week I would be GMing has a lot of obstacles to being a good GM, I never do it.
last edited on July 18, 2011 10:17AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon