A Word With Mrs Vast

Invasion of the Furry People!
harkovast at 4:09PM, March 25, 2009
(online)
I have not recently been a big fan of animals walking upright with clothing. While there have been some rare good examples of anthropomorphic characters, (Mrs. Fisby, Robin Hood, Chester Cheeto), it seems just one flick has spoiled the whole endeavour. Though we were given free tickets to see Chicken Little with the kiddies, we regretted there were no plastic forks available in the cinema for self eye poke and removal.
Example:

ARRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

So when Daniel started talking about Harkovast, (then called ‘My Fantasy Campaign World’) I told him he was mad. I just hate animals in clothes. I can dig animals speaking, such as the rabbits in Watership Down, or even the cute server penguins in Mary Poppins.

When Daniel spoke to me about Harkovast I hadn’t realised he was speaking about meaningful characters he had thought about since he was in grade school (aged 12-15).
So I was pretty dismissive on the whole topic and laughed that humanoid animals couldn’t carry a story properly. In our long walks we used to take (evenings are now spent colouring and arguing about layout) Daniel would keep me abreast to the fantasy world (‘If you pick a name for it, I might be able to relate to it better.’) by telling me the race name (ex: Cansaibe), followed by what they were (Cheetah People.) I was so overwhelmed by the world he had created (look at the forum; think Silmarillion) that I used to argue with him about the aesthetics of hands vs. hooves, and why the Darsai didn’t have six nipples just to keep him off the varied-and-dynamic-culture topic. I tried valiantly to get paws instead of hands, and contested that if My Little Ponies could use their hooves to curl their hair, how come there couldn’t be hooves in Harkovast???

I told Daniel that if he wanted me to visualise his characters properly, it would be best for him to draw them out. And thus began…

I have to admit now that I have spent so much time on Harkovast, I can say with pride that anthropomorphic—don’t get too excited—Harko-anthropomorphic animals are acceptable, believable, and totally cool. I mean, if Gelflings can have wings and arms at the same time, so can the Nymus, right?

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 18, 2011 10:17AM
DuckInspector at 6:19PM, April 7, 2009
(offline)
I have to agree the chicken little animals were really, REALLY diturbing. Look at them… none of them have similar shape theyre like…PLAY DOUGH!!! and not in a fun way, because play dough can be awesome and colourful, but these animals are just freaky (the chicken little ones not harkovast). Also well done on the colouring colour makes the comics power level reach over 9000!!! (that was a horrible joke, really horrible but the joke fountain is awefully dry today)good job making play dough rather than…whatever that stuff was.
confusedsoul at 2:30AM, July 31, 2009
(offline)
What is that thing on the right of the screen shot anyway?
assortedboxofchick at 5:59AM, June 3, 2010
(offline)
that I believe is Foxy Loxy. That show made me want to vomit.
Plague Doctor at 3:55AM, Aug. 28, 2010
(offline)
Oh,that's CGI.It makes everything look like a deformed clay zombie.
Though I gotta admit,Chicken little is a slight improvement compared to “Hoodwinked”

harkovast at 6:06AM, Aug. 28, 2010
(online)
plague doctor, I'll have to check up on that. I can't believe anything to be worse than Chicken Little.

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
Plague Doctor at 1:23PM, Aug. 29, 2010
(offline)
Oh,yeah?I watched Hoodwinked in a cinema for my birthday few years ago,and I still et flashes whenever CG toons are mentioned.
Hoodwinked was basicly trying to copy Shrek with the wholl fractured fairytale plot,but they had a lot lower budget so it was highly criticised for “zombie looking characters”

Check out the purdy humans:

Sleep well tonight =)
confusedsoul at 4:04PM, Aug. 30, 2010
(offline)
Jesus H, I've seen those children in the Sandman animation. They looked less creepy there.
assortedboxofchick at 1:04AM, Sept. 1, 2010
(offline)
I have to end this thread or I'm going to vomit! People need to be more responsible when they create children's shows. I thought animals looked creepy! Those mashed faced children need an additional face stomp to put them out of their miseries!!!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon