The Webcomic Review Forum for the Webcomic Review Comic on the Web

Hyacinth Duck
ifelldownthestairs at 2:14PM, Oct. 2, 2010
(online)
I didn't really think it was all that great, Hark thought it was at least worth a look. But what did YOU think?
you know why birds don't write their memoirs? because birds don't lead epic lives, that's why. who'd want to read what a bird does? nobody. that's who.
http://www.drunkduck.com/i_fell_down_the_stairs
last edited on July 18, 2011 10:15AM
Plague Doctor at 3:26PM, Oct. 2, 2010
(offline)
I found it hillarious when I begun reading it,but in the middle of the comic the humor did stop.I agree with you on that,but it wasn't so much dull as it was disturbing.The off-screen happenings got more and more tragic and the duck's blank stare started to creep me up a bit.
And the great finale when he finally talks(quacks) failed to impress me because the link is set to the very last page,so it kinda spolied the moment.

But I really recommend it to everyone,it's really unique and it did carry itself quite well despite the limited concept =)
Bocaj at 3:54PM, Oct. 2, 2010
(online)
I would've thought ifeeldownthestairs would've enjoyed this comic more for the darker overtones of the comic. generally, this comic left me feeling a little sad, and occasionally chuckle. That is very impressive for it's constrained formula. I agree with Hark that this comic is very interesting to look at with what can be done with so little.
And to think, that this sprite comic (dare I call it) can be so much better that one with sonic staring it!
harkovast at 4:05PM, Oct. 2, 2010
(online)
That duck sure could say a lot by saying nothing at all.

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
vidihawk at 1:00AM, Oct. 3, 2010
(online)
Once I started reading it in order, the meaning of the comic became a lot more striking to me. Very dark and tragic, but moving.
http://rps.thecomicstrip.org/
A Comic Strip About LARPing! Hope you like.
Chernobog at 4:23PM, Oct. 15, 2010
(offline)
I was intrigued by the ‘disturbing’ accounts of HD so I gave it a once over.
From a storytelling perspective, I thought it was interesting. Arranging the whole story in a jumbled non-consecutive arrangement probably worked better for this than if I read it with complete linearity the first time. That said, if I read it a day at a time, I probably wouldn't have stayed around out of confusion of what was happening. It's the sort of model that works best as a total account, I think.

And yes, the Duck says a lot with very little. As a short piece, it works.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
God of War at 5:12PM, Dec. 19, 2010
(online)
This is experimental comics so I think not everybody would like it. It's also pretty distrubing, but I think that it makes it so good. It's also rather confusing. In overal, I like it.
harkovast at 12:50AM, Dec. 20, 2010
(online)
The more I think about it, the more I think I let Kev turn this review overly negative.
This comic is weird and experimental and I think its worth checking out.
There is something I really like about trying to read emotion into the face of the entirely blank, unmoving protagonist.

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon