Urban Legend issues

General Forum
Legend Comics at 3:04PM, Jan. 8, 2010
(online)
This first issue stars Captain Legend and takes place before the formation of the Urban Legends. It took me a few weeks, a few tears and even just a little blood. So you owe me your opinions, critisisms and ideas. Bring it on!
last edited on July 18, 2011 10:14AM
Legend Comics at 9:33PM, Jan. 8, 2010
(online)
Regarding page 7 and my comment on the wrinkles in his suit:
I've never been too excited by how most hero costumes are drawn. Draw a naked man sans genitalia, draw lines on him then fill in with colour. Voila, your hero is dressed for action. I've always wanted to dress my heroes in actual suits that appear to have weight and substance but have always been afraid of drawing wrinkles. Earlier this week I finally broke down and purchased a book about this very topic (Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery by Burne Hogarth, highly recommended for those artists suffering from the same dilemma). After a couple days of practicing wrinkles I started to draw Captain Legend with what I had learned. Now I'm still learning, so it's not perfect, but I believe it's not just an improvement but I finally have something that lends me style. Before I always felt my art was far too generic. Let me know what you think, good or bad.
Abt_Nihil at 12:54PM, Jan. 11, 2010
(offline)
I think it's a step in the right direction. What really interests me are objects' dynamic attributes, things that change their look depending on their speed and orientation, whether they show wind or force. Wrinkles are one way to show that!

But of course the body itself is far from static, and getting the anatomy right is a feat in its own right. One of the reasons why I designed Bombshell to be voluptuous is because she's much more dynamic that way - boobs show speed and force too :P
Legend Comics at 6:29PM, Jan. 12, 2010
(online)
I've actually noticed Bombshell's attributes. She looks dynamic whether standing, running or bouncing up and down, up and down. You're right about anatomy and the body. It's possible to show dyamic movement with a stick figure and that doesn't require wrinkles or muscles. My biggest problem in this, my first comic, is the stiff figures. I need to lighten up and relax when I'm drawing. Some of my best drawings come from when I'm not expecting too much from the outcome. I will spend more time practicing fluid movement with my figures as well as their costume.
Abt_Nihil at 1:26PM, Jan. 13, 2010
(offline)
Quick sketches will almost always seem more dynamic than artwork which you slave over for hours on end. Preserving their dynamic quality while developing sketches is one of the hardest things to do. And practice is the only thing that helps :P
Legend Comics at 6:08PM, Jan. 20, 2010
(online)
Too, true. It's too bad there's no easy way out for us lazy folk.
On another note, I want to take a moment to show everyone the last page of issue one without the text.

The reason I'm showing this is because the park in the middle ground was completely covered by balloons. This is Cathedral Park at the centre of Celestial City and features a landmark known as the Celestial City monument. It has no particular significance to the plot but is just one distinguishing part of the city that I'm creating. Slowly I hope to develop the city into a recognizable setting with its own character. So far my lack of experience in drawing backgrounds and cityscapes is making that difficult but I do intend to improve.
EssayBee at 11:24AM, March 26, 2010
(offline)
I'm pretty lazy when it comes to backgrounds, so I can appreciate the effort you put into not just you cityscapes but all of your backgrounds. It'll be cool to see your city come to life.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon