Drunk Duck Awards

2011 Planning Restart!
Niccea at 11:51AM, Aug. 25, 2011
(online)
Volunteer Thread

Judges' Forum (Please PQ me your username and email after registering so I can verify)

I thought I would just make it in a new thread so I can get rid of clutter.

Unless someone else wants to, I will take the reins on this and probably retire afterwards if I survive.

We are about 2 months behind the normal schedule for the awards, but at least the awards will still happen by the end of the year.

Since we have used forums for judging for the past two years, I shouldn't change that, but I will probably have to open a new forum since the first on was JNP's. If I can't make it so there are forums only for the judges of the category would y'all be opposed to carriyng it out via email/PQ/IM?

Second, we need to get the Award Design contest going as quick as we can. In the next post is a proposed schedule and the last post of the categories I can find. If this is OK with everyone, we can get this thing a moving.

I was wondering if anyone would like to help with the comic design. I can always put buttons in their places, but I'm not to good at the drawing of them. Would anyone like to help me create the comic for this year. We will need a background and the nav buttons to start. It will also expand to link buttons and what not.
last edited on Sept. 1, 2011 2:13PM
Niccea at 12:01PM, Aug. 25, 2011
(online)
Schedule:

DD Awards Contest: August 28, 2011 - September 3, 2011
Design the DD award.

DD Awards design Voting: September 4, 2011 - September 5, 2011
Vote for the winning DD Award design. (Use winners to make promotion banners for the Awards)

Voting Ballot Open: September 11, 2011 - September 25, 2011
This is when voting will officially start and end.

Judges/Presenters: September 26, 2011 - October 3, 2011
Judges and Presenters are assigned their categories. Link Pending

Judging Opens: October 4, 2011 - October 23, 2011
Judging opens up at the forum.

Winners are announced: November 06, 2011 - November 10, 2011
The winners of the 2010 DD awards are announced and posted.
last edited on Aug. 25, 2011 12:02PM
Niccea at 12:04PM, Aug. 25, 2011
(online)
GENRE/STYLE AWARDS

3D/Poser:
Comics that make use of the THIRD DIMENSION (oo, ah) or appear to.

Best Action Comic:
Chase scenes, fights, big explosions; CRASH POW ZOOM – you know the stuff

Best Abstract/Random Comic:
Now for something completely different. Comics that march to the
beat of their own drum, may have varied subject matter or mismatched
jokes.

Best Adventure Comic:
Quests, missions, explorations, and/or other dangerous or exciting ventures.

Best Adult-oriented Comic:
A-rated comics. XXX No one under 18 admitted! Live nudes! Or excessive violence. Or both!

Best All Ages Comic:
Child-friendly comics that the whole family can enjoy.

Best Anthropomorphic Comic:
They act like people and think like people, but they look like foxes or dolphins or toasters.

**Best Community Project:
Comics and projects that bring together a variety of DD members for
massive synergy! (DD Awards are not eligible, for giving ourselves an
award would create a paradox vortex from which there is no escape.)

Best Fantasy Comic:
Magical, mythical, mystical, marvelous. Comics set in fantastical
settings, involving magic or mythical creatures, abilities, or beings.

**Best Horror Comic:
The dark, scary, and twisted. Monsters, psychological thrillers, and
ax-wielding psychos all have their place among these wonderfully
horrific comics.

**Best Humor Comic:
Gags, jokes, lols, roflmaos, and such. Format and subject matter aren't important. It just has to make you laugh.

**Best Manga Style Comic:
Comics inspired by the artistic style and conventions of Japanese cartooning.

Best Mystery/Crime/Noir:
Crime drama, police, mobsters, mysteries, hard-boiled detectives, and/or meddling kids.

Best Parody/Tribute:
Comics that use the characters, worlds, or creations of other creators. It's not copyright infringement! It's an homage!

Best Philosophical/Political Comic:
Make-you-think comics that address deep topics from the spiritual and philosophical to the cultural or political.

Best Photo Comic:
Smile! You're on Comic Camera!

Best Pixel/Sprite/Stock Image Comic:
These comics take existing (or created) sprites/images and assemble them in different ways to create new strips/pages.

**Best Romance Comic:
Girl/boy, boy/boy, girl/girl, girl/girl/boy, man/alien, or whatever.
It's all about LOVE! Love love love love love love love love. Maybe
some hate too, and some other things, but romantic relationship(s) take
center stage.

Best Sci-fi Comic:
A form of speculative fiction so named because the fantastical
elements are rooted in or explained by actual or fictional scientific
theory.

Best Stick Figure or Simplified Art Comic:
o.o ^_^

Best Slice-of-life/Autobiographical Comic:
Autobiographical comics as well as fictional comics that revolve
around the struggles and triumphs of everyday life. Sitcoms and/or
melodrama.

Best Superhero Comic:
Too super for other categories.

**Most Deliciously Offensive:
These f&%#@ comics might p^@(# you the f*^^@* off.

~~~~~

TECHNICAL AWARDS

Best Background Art:
The background, setting, environment, and surroundings. Including architecture, scenery, furniture, vehicles, etc.

Best Character Design:
The artistic design of the characters. This includes anatomy, facial
expressions, and clothing (but not speech, mannerisms, or
personality/actions).

Best Comic Layouts:
The components of visual storytelling that harmonize the artwork
into a page and direct flow and pacing. Includes panel shape and
position, placement of speech balloons, lettering, and general
readability.

Best Dialogue:
It's all about what they say and how they say it.

Best Plot Development:
The overall story composition and pacing, and the use of storytelling elements.

Best Use of Color:
Creative and technical mastery of color to create mood and interest.

**Best Use of B&W:
Best use of black and white techniques, such as cross-hatching, contrast, and screen-tones.

Most Improved Art:
The comic that shows the most artistic improvement between July 2010 and now.

~~~~~

CHARACTER AWARDS

Best Good Guy/Girl:
These are the characters who do good things or at least try. Typically, these are the main or central characters, whether they are saving the world or just resisting the urge to cheat on a test.

Best Bad Guy/Girl:
Opposes the good guy – or opposes good things and noble actions in general, usually a rival or villain. Doesn't necesarily have to be evil incarnate, but these guys and gals are good at being bad.

Best Supporting Character:
A noteworthy secondary character; can be good, bad, or other.

**Best Couple/Duo:
A memorable pairing of chums, lovers, associates, partners, or
co-conspirators. Whether Scarlett and Rhett or Batman and Robin, it's
the relationship between them that counts!

~~~~~

USER AWARDS

**Nicest User:
The user whom you know is always smiling whistling and just being oh so nice.

**Funniest User:
It's that guy/girl that always makes you lol or chuckle. You can't wait to read his/her hilarious posts or comments or comics.

**Most Helpful User:
The user is willing to lend a hand, the one you can count on.

**Most Supportive Reader:
Maybe they leave the most comments or the most insightful ones, or
they draw wonderful fanart, or they are always available to discuss your
script ideas or send you cards when you're on hiatus.

**Most Dedicated Creator:
That creator who seems to be a page-making machine, every day on
time – or maybe the one who has been at it forever and has a thousand
pages of the most amazing quality – or the one who is updating five
different regular comics on a schedule. Whatever they are doing, they
sure are DEDICATED.

**Most Promising Newcomer:
This kid just showed up out of the blue this year, and (s)he's already making the rest of us look bad!

**Most Awesomest Admin or Moderator:
Because they are awesome. They put up with the rest of us crazy ducks in the pond.

~~~~~

THE BIG ONES

Best Completed Comic:
Comics that were concluded sometime between July 2010 and now. (Indefinite hiatus doesn't count.)

Best Overall Comic Strip:
Best webcomic with stand-alone updates or short, unrelated story arcs, usually in a horizontal or vertical strip format.

Best Overall Story Comic:
Best webcomic that tells a continuous story, usually in full page format.
last edited on Sept. 6, 2011 7:58PM
rokulily at 12:46PM, Aug. 25, 2011
(online)
as soon as i finish my stuff for the radio play and hook up my scanner all proper i'd be glad to help here and there

let's do this thing
-sunglasses-

DaWaterRat at 4:39PM, Aug. 25, 2011
(online)
I'll see what I can come up with over the next week (unless someone beats me to it) for background and buttons.  :)
And I still have the piece I did for the Award Contest, just waiting and ready… though I might tweak it. :)
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 11:29PM, Aug. 25, 2011
(online)
I'll be more than happy to help out with the judging again but I will leave the art to others.

El Cid at 5:08AM, Aug. 26, 2011
(online)
I'll also be glad to help with the judging (um, if you can't find enough judges, you guys may need to scale back on the number of categories however. Just a thought).

Also, if the awards are going through now without JNP, I am opportunistically re-introducing the motion to have “Best Protagonist” and “Best Antagonist” changed to a more inclusive “Best Good Guy” and “Best Bad Guy.”

P.S. @DaWaterRat. The link on your banner doesn't work because in your coding you typed the address with the http at the beginning. For some reason, whenever you type a DD url, it only seems to work when you omit the hhtp and just type it starting with the www.
DaWaterRat at 5:41AM, Aug. 26, 2011
(online)
El Cid wrote:
I'll also be glad to help with the judging (um, if you can't find enough judges, you guys may need to scale back on the number of categories however. Just a thought).

Also, if the awards are going through now without JNP, I am opportunistically re-introducing the motion to have “Best Protagonist” and “Best Antagonist” changed to a more inclusive “Best Good Guy” and “Best Bad Guy.”

P.S. @DaWaterRat. The link on your banner doesn't work because in your coding you typed the address with the http at the beginning. For some reason, whenever you type a DD url, it only seems to work when you omit the hhtp and just type it starting with the www.
I'm okay with “Best Good Guy” and “Best Bad Guy” :)
And thanks for that on the link info.  Hopefully it's fixed now. :)
Niccea at 10:01AM, Aug. 26, 2011
(online)
I wouldn't know what one to cut if it came to that.
The two names are the same in my mind with Protaginist/Antagonist sounding more swanky.
last edited on Aug. 26, 2011 10:19AM
skoolmunkee at 11:25AM, Aug. 26, 2011
(online)
That looks like a great awards list, I love the member awards! 
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
Niccea at 11:57AM, Aug. 26, 2011
(online)
I wasn't here for the ‘09 awards, but with the user awards, should we have a judging panel for them or just leave it as part of the popular vote (like the school prom)? On some of the user awards it might be hard to get the judges to all agree on one person. Can’t debate about a person as much as you can a comic.

-edit- I was also going back through the old planning thread and saw an argument for ditching Protaginist/Antagonist and just making an over all Best Main Character.
last edited on Aug. 26, 2011 12:38PM
Gunwallace at 2:15PM, Aug. 26, 2011
(online)
Happy to help out, but my artistic limitations are to anything that can be done with photos of Playmobil toys.  (I couldn't draw my way into a paper bag, let alone out of one.)
And many kudos and thanks for resurrecting this, Niccea.
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
Genejoke at 4:52PM, Aug. 26, 2011
(online)
I'm sure I could help in some way.
usedbooks at 5:16PM, Aug. 26, 2011
(online)
As always, I'm up for judging and presenting.

We should keep it protagonist and antagonist – with descriptions. Those are more inclusive than good guy/bad guy. (For example, what about a slacker, apathetic protagonist that does things one wouldn't parrticularly call good or bad?) The other way makes a moral call and could penalize a well-written multifaceted character over a mary-sue style goody-goody.

It was discussed at length (and more length and, like, mobius strip length…) before and that was the concensus I think we could discern.

Also, are we going to try to do “for your consideration” pages, or do we want to forget about that for now with the late schedule and having to set up everything from scratch?
last edited on Aug. 26, 2011 5:24PM
Niccea at 5:28PM, Aug. 26, 2011
(online)
I just read about those pages while going back and looking through everything. I'm not sure that about doing those this year. I was thinking about doing something like a “Vote for me” banner that users can post up on their comics like banners of the past. but I could also open up to “for your consideration” pages with a deadline being halfway into the voting. Probably wouldn't be the face time that they deserve, but it is better than nothing.
last edited on Aug. 26, 2011 5:31PM
usedbooks at 6:05PM, Aug. 26, 2011
(online)
I wouldn't do it if it can't fit in before voting – unless you have the option to change voting forms like last year.

We should encourage people to support their favorite comics too. (Like a “Vote for them” ;) )  I'll probably do that myself one way or another on my own comic.  I know people are busy to be making pages and stuff, so maybe just a forum thread? Limit people to one post each to promote themselves and their favorite comics to consider, and then link to it from the Awards “comic.” People can even post images there, within limits (and no bad-mouthing other comics or promoters).

That way, undecided people will have a resource, and it wouldn't require organization or deadlines.
last edited on Aug. 26, 2011 6:07PM
Niccea at 6:11PM, Aug. 26, 2011
(online)
I don't know how the ballots were made last year so I don't think I can have it allow for changing.
And yeah a thread will work better I think.
usedbooks at 6:13PM, Aug. 26, 2011
(online)
Niccea wrote:
I don't know how the ballots were made last year so I don't think I can have it allow for changing.
And yeah a thread will work better I think.
I know nothing about forms. ^_^; JNP couldn't change them much either. They were set up by Amanda in 2009.
DaWaterRat at 8:09PM, Aug. 26, 2011
(online)
Thinking about the possibility of having to cut down on the categories… not that I want to, but if we must cut, I'd have to say cut from the technical categories first.  User categories can be popular(ity contest) vote. ;)  So they won't need judges.
After that, we'll just have to see how few there are.
El Cid at 10:14PM, Aug. 26, 2011
(online)
I wouldn't say the Protagonist/Antagonist thing was discussed at length, and there certainly was never a consensus reached. JNP just stepped in and said, “Well, we did Protagonist/Antagonist last year and the world didn't end, so we're doing it again this year!” It was decided by fiat, not by merit, and I think it deserves revisiting.

#1. Protagonist/Antagonist is not more inclusive. It completely excludes every comic which does not follow a traditional or consistent narrative/plot structure. Even JNP conceded that this was a problem; it was just a problem he was willing to live with.

#2. You can post definitions until you’re blue in the face, but people are not going to vote for bad guy protagonists or good guy antagonists. These are more characters who end up being excluded, and we saw it happen last year. You should as much as possible fashion the categories to fit the way people experience comics and the way people actually vote, rather than the way you want them to vote.

I agree that the Good Guy/Bad Guy thing may exclude characters who don’t fit either billing, characters in comics whose plots contain no conflict, but I think that’s a much smaller group being left out and one not likely to get many votes either way.

And yes, it was the Argon incident that came up last time which brought this to my attention, but there are a lot of other good characters who end up being ineligible due to the rigid definitions imposed by a Protagonist/Antagonist category heading. I mentioned last time the character Doris from Skreem’s “Headless Cross.” She’s a delightfully malignant character (one might even go so far as to call her “iconic”), but even though she’s a prominent cast member she doesn’t suit the narrative role of a protagonist or antagonist, though it is fair to say she’s a “Bad Guy.” Likewise, my own comic has a pretty shifty narrative structure which doesn’t really allow for too many characters to be nailed down as either protagonist or antagonist (and some of them change roles throughout the course of the story), but again it’s pretty easy to peg who the “Bad Guys” are, and some of them are memorable enough, if I can be forgiven for tooting my own horn. I really think we should go with the less rigid category titles.
El Cid at 10:17PM, Aug. 26, 2011
(online)
I wish I could help with the ballot thing, but it's been so long since I messed with forms and I don't see any free time popping up in the near future when I'll have to mess with something like that. But if you guys can't find a forum, I'm sure I can put one up. My hosting service gives me a bunch of free domains that I don't use and I could plop a smf forum in there for the judging, if you need it.
RPGgrenade at 7:55AM, Aug. 27, 2011
(online)
I would be happy to be one of the presenters of one of the awards if you'll have me =P but i guess that's chosen at random XD
if there's anything else i can help with, feel free to ask me! I'll see if i can do it

The liquid creations of Gods passed down to man, but sometimes an object of the gods' realm can cause chaos in the mortal realm.
Read Nectar of the Gods!
usedbooks at 1:38PM, Aug. 27, 2011
(online)
El Cid wrote:
#2. You can post definitions until you’re blue in the face, but people are not going to vote for bad guy protagonists or good guy antagonists. These are more characters who end up being excluded, and we saw it happen last year. You should as much as possible fashion the categories to fit the way people experience comics and the way people actually vote, rather than the way you want them to vote.

I agree that the Good Guy/Bad Guy thing may exclude characters who don’t fit either billing, characters in comics whose plots contain no conflict, but I think that’s a much smaller group being left out and one not likely to get many votes either way.
 Well, that's the way *I* read comics, tbh. I have a much easier time identifying protagonists and antagonists than “good guys” and “bad guys.” I guess it depends on what type of story you're reading – or the nature of the reader – or both.

If it is changed, the descriptions (obviously) need changed too. Either way is fine as far as I'm concerned. I have a preference, but my opinion is only as valid as any other individual, and both are suitable ways of seeing characters. I just want to make sure whichever we choose to go with is what most people prefer.

To me, Protagonist/Antagonist is more universal and defined, but the good/bad categorization might be worth trying simply to try something different – and that is how some/many people see and read characters, but I'm sure there are plenty who read the way I do… I'm not… weird. o_0 I'm NOT!
last edited on Aug. 27, 2011 1:46PM
El Cid at 2:15PM, Aug. 27, 2011
(online)
usedbooks wrote:
…To me, Protagonist/Antagonist is more universal and defined, but the good/bad categorization might be worth trying simply to try something different – and that is how some/many people see and read characters, but I'm sure there are plenty who read the way I do… I'm not… weird. o_0 I'm NOT!

You're not weird! I tend to view novels, plays, and feature films that way, but I just find it a poor fit for serial media like comics or even running TV series for that matter. You're absolutely correct that protagonist/antagonist is more well-defined, but that is precisely the problem. The more rigidly defined titles are innately more exclusionary, and it's made worse by the fact that people are either confused by the definitions or simply don't think in those terms.

Even Niccea seems a little confused, because she just said that to her there's no difference between the two options, except that Protagonist/Antagonist sounds “more swanky.” No, they have completely different meanings and people have difficulty with it and that's why it messes things up. This is something which actually did cause some real confusion last year and we can easily avoid a repeat of that if we just go ahead and change the titles.

Doesn't seem like much anyone else cares one way or another though?
last edited on Aug. 27, 2011 2:17PM
usedbooks at 2:34PM, Aug. 27, 2011
(online)
Nah, it's fine.I think DAJB and JNP were the “voices” for the protagonist/antagonist setup, and I don't think either one has been around in a while or plan on returning. (I miss them. *sniff* )

I'm all for changing things up, but we need to change descriptions too, because they are not the same at all. ^_^; Um, just off the top of my head (damn you less defined categories!)

Best Good Guy/Girl:
These are the characters who do good things or at least try. Typically, these are the main or central characters, whether they are saving the world or just resisting the urge to cheat on a test.

Best Bad Guy/Girl:
Opposes the good guy – or opposes good things and noble actions in general, usually a rival or villain. Doesn't necesarily have to be evil incarnate, but these guys and gals are good at being bad.

If anyone has something better – or there are more suggestions or support fot last years protagonist/antagonist set-up, speak up.
DaWaterRat at 2:46PM, Aug. 27, 2011
(online)
I'll give El Cid's veiw some support. :)  I kinda like “good guy” and “bad guy” better than Protagonist and Antagonist, and I certainly like them better than “Hero” and “Villain”
It really comes down to sympathy and motivation.  If the reader can sympethize with the character's motives, they're more likely to be seen as “good” (which also tends to be, in this case, synonymous with “likeable”) than one they can't.  So even in stories where there is no overt “Good v. Bad” conflict, there will be characters that the reader agrees with (the “good guys”) and those they don't (the “bad guys.”)  Now, in stories where Good and Bad aren't clearly defined, there will be a higher level of subjectivity as to who is a “good guy” or a “bad guy”, but people will still end up categorizing them that way.
I realize that this is kinda boiling it all down to a Lowest common denominator, but as long as the descriptions aren't patronizing, then I think they will work.
Edit - and Usedbooks already too care of all that somewhere while I was re-writing this post for the third time. :)
last edited on Aug. 27, 2011 2:48PM
Lopriest at 3:38PM, Aug. 27, 2011
(online)
I can see how good guy/bad guy might work better than protagonist/antagonist.  It probably comes down to how the audience perceives the character.  Taking the examples of characters who are intrinsically evil and complete psychopaths, such as Kathy Mallory (Carol O'Connell's Malory novels,) Mireille Bouquet (Noir Anime,) Dexter Morgan (Dexter TV show,)  they are protagonists and are also perceived as good guys because their actions often serve our shared sense of justice.  If we take a similar character such as Hannibal Lector (Silence of the Lambs movies and books.)  His acts are so overwhelmingly evil that the audience can only think of him as a bad guy, yet not an antagonist since he also tends to be on the side of justice and helps the protagonist against the villains.
Niccea at 3:46PM, Aug. 27, 2011
(online)
El Cid wrote:
usedbooks wrote:
…To me, Protagonist/Antagonist is more universal and defined, but the good/bad categorization might be worth trying simply to try something different – and that is how some/many people see and read characters, but I'm sure there are plenty who read the way I do… I'm not… weird. o_0 I'm NOT!

You're not weird! I tend to view novels, plays, and feature films that way, but I just find it a poor fit for serial media like comics or even running TV series for that matter. You're absolutely correct that protagonist/antagonist is more well-defined, but that is precisely the problem. The more rigidly defined titles are innately more exclusionary, and it's made worse by the fact that people are either confused by the definitions or simply don't think in those terms.

Even Niccea seems a little confused, because she just said that to her there's no difference between the two options, except that Protagonist/Antagonist sounds “more swanky.” No, they have completely different meanings and people have difficulty with it and that's why it messes things up. This is something which actually did cause some real confusion last year and we can easily avoid a repeat of that if we just go ahead and change the titles.

Doesn't seem like much anyone else cares one way or another though? 
That was just my impressions of the words. I know the proper english definitions for Antagonist/Protaginist is not that simple but I just kinda lump them in my head as good guy/bad guy
El Cid at 4:41PM, Aug. 27, 2011
(online)
Niccea wrote:
That was just my impressions of the words. I know the proper english definitions for Antagonist/Protaginist is not that simple but I just kinda lump them in my head as good guy/bad guy 

Okay, sorry bout dat. I got the wrong impression.
RPGgrenade at 5:25PM, Aug. 27, 2011
(online)
Hoo boy! you guys sure know how to make good arguments! I feel like i'm listening to a debate between literature majors! i just want to know if there's any way i could help in the DD awards this year, since last time i didn't get a chance too cuz i was too new and was shy =<

The liquid creations of Gods passed down to man, but sometimes an object of the gods' realm can cause chaos in the mortal realm.
Read Nectar of the Gods!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved