Media Megaforum

Favorite podcasts?
Mondo_Funky at 9:25AM, Sept. 6, 2011
(online)
Anyone here listen to The Thrilling Adventure Hour? Each cast is one of several recurring shows done in the style of old-time radio, and performed by the likes of Paul F. Thomkins, Paget Brewster, John DiMaggio, and James Urbaniak.
It's a bit hit or miss, but worth giving a shot. My favorites so far are “Jefferson Reed, Ace American”, and “Amerlia Earheart, Fearless Flyer”, the latter featuring Urbaniak as a villian of the skies (they actually use those words).  There's also an episode with Urbaniak as a shape-shifting killer clown, whose first line is “Hello, boys”.

I'm a big fan of the SModcast Network casts, and I've just started listening to The Nerdist, which is amazing. What are some of your favorites?
skoolmunkee at 11:39AM, Sept. 8, 2011
(online)
Hey that one sounds fun, I'll have to check it out. :]

I regularly listen to This American Life and have almost all the episodes. It's taken me years to listen to them all, most of them are so good. This one is my bestest favouritest.

The Moth is a good one as well, they are just entertaining true stories from their live programme. Every now and then one they release is a dud but not often.

I like the Stuff You Missed In History Class" podcast too, most of them are really interesting subjects and it's a great way for me to learn a little bit of history stuff I'd never otherwise have known about in many cases. Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcasts are good as well, but much longer (and farther between) and he tends to get hung up on Romans… a LOT. In Our Time is another good history one, much more intellectual and fast-paced, but about a third of the topics don't interest me, at least not to the depth they often go into.

And I like the Webcomics Weekly podcast, as well as the Dish I've started listening to.

I used to listen to several others, but I don't have time to keep up with them all (I'm generally several months behind most of them in the first place) so the ones I didn't like as much sort of dropped off.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
Mondo_Funky at 9:06AM, Sept. 9, 2011
(online)
Dan Carlin is great if you can get past his slightly grating, Rush Limbaugh tone of voice, which had originally turned me off to the podcast. The “Ghosts of the Ostfront” series is amazing.
Walrus at 8:31PM, Oct. 1, 2011
(online)
I don't think there are a whole lot of wrestling fans around here, so this narrows down my options. I suggest you check out the Media Burnout. Although the podcast updates are inconsistent, it's still a podcast I enjoy listening to with every new download.

DrLuck at 5:25AM, Oct. 8, 2011
(online)
I'm always listening to podcasts at work.

I usually listen to the people at SModcast.com, in particular Hollywood Babbleon, SModcast, and a few of the other ones there.  Very dirty jokes for those of you who aren't all that familiar with Kevin Smith (who is on most of the podcasts there), but really funny if you're into that kind of humor.
I also listen to Dragnet (real cop tales retold with new names).  Hell, I named my cat after a Dragnet character (Sgt. Romero).  Big fan of that.

I also really enjoy the old radio show Boston Blackie, though it's a big of a dig to find out about (archive.org kiss me).  Basically it's about an ex-criminal Boston Blackie who always gets blamed for crimes he didn't do, so goes to solve them to prove his innocence.  Very lighthearted and some really good dialogue from Blackie and the head of the police (Faraday).

Also, how are you guys making paragraphs like that?  Mine always keeps getting compacted no matter how many times I edit it (even if I edit the HTML).

Edit: Oh, apparently you just make several indents.  Hm.
last edited on Oct. 8, 2011 5:28AM
skoolmunkee at 9:19AM, Oct. 13, 2011
(online)
I'll have to check out that Dragnet one!

The way I do paragraphs in this stupid text editor is to put a space on the empty line. That forces it to render the line.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
Walrus at 4:54PM, Nov. 3, 2011
(online)
The Joe Rogan Experience. It's interesting to say the least.

Mondo_Funky at 2:22PM, Nov. 29, 2011
(online)
This one isn't as well-known, but I've been getting into this homegrown podcast called Pulp Nightmare. It has sort of a SModcast vibe to it, and has everything you could want from the internet: Tales of terror, discussions of also terror, dubious fan letters, lamps used for things lamps should not be used for, giant owls (and the futile attempts to slay them), hallucinogenic fast food, film-making careers built on the backs of man-animal hybrids, secret societies of nocturnal pizza deliverymen, the dark side of Charles Xavier, and a phone call from Joe Jesus.  (I'm a fan, clearly)

They also do commentaries for cult films like Robocop and The Shadow (and Predator 2 for…some reason). Their commentary for The Crow ends with the revelation that Draven's bride left him in the afterlife for Abe Lincoln, who “scored four and seven times”. :(

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved