Drunk Duck Awards

2011 Voting Open!!!
Niccea at 8:38AM, Sept. 10, 2011
(online)
I am opening up the ballots a day early because they were ready and I don't know if I would have been able to tomorrow.

They are located Here. (I hope)

The rules are on the ballot. But, to reiterate:

~One ballot per person.
~No voting for yourself.
~Drunkduck hosted (or mirrored) comics only.
~Comics must be actively updating or completed within the last year.
~You may enter a comic in more than one category.
~You don't have to fill out every category.

Please let me know if you have trouble getting to them.

Back up link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?hl=en_US&formkey=dDk2a3ZSM2ZTUzMzRHJ1UUlHTEMxN0E6MQ
Nicotine at 10:27AM, Sept. 10, 2011
(online)
Are the ballots editable this year? I think I made a mistake on mine :X
Abt_Nihil at 5:23PM, Sept. 11, 2011
(offline)
One question (sorry if it's already been answered somewhere):
I have a comic which was actually completed in July 2010. Now, the rules say “Comics must be actively updating or completed within the last year.” The description for “best completed comic” says “Comics that were concluded sometime between July 2010 and now.” Does that mean my comic is generally eligible, or just for “best completed comic”…?
Niccea at 9:42AM, Sept. 12, 2011
(online)
Abt_Nihil wrote:
I have a comic which was actually completed in July 2010. Now, the rules say “Comics must be actively updating or completed within the last year.” The description for “best completed comic” says “Comics that were concluded sometime between July 2010 and now.” Does that mean my comic is generally eligible, or just for “best completed comic”…?
It is generally eligable and eligable for comleted comic.
Niccea at 4:50PM, Sept. 12, 2011
(online)
Also, last I have checked, there have been 97 ballots submitted. And I have noticed that a couple of people have filled out the same comic for every category. I have a mind to disqualify these ballots entirely rather than going back and and just disquallify ineligable categories. If it isn't A-rated don't vote it for best Adult. If it is A-rated don't vote it for all ages…etc. etc.
Abt_Nihil at 5:29PM, Sept. 12, 2011
(offline)
Niccea wrote:
Abt_Nihil wrote:
 It is generally eligable and eligable for comleted comic. 
Thank you! ^_^
usedbooks at 6:49PM, Sept. 12, 2011
(online)
Niccea wrote:
Also, last I have checked, there have been 97 ballots submitted. And I have noticed that a couple of people have filled out the same comic for every category. I have a mind to disqualify these ballots entirely rather than going back and and just disquallify ineligable categories. If it isn't A-rated don't vote it for best Adult. If it is A-rated don't vote it for all ages…etc. etc.

JNP was generous and just went category by category, but I personally felt (and feel) it isn't in the spirit of the awards to cast a ballot like that and should be discounted entirely. (Plus, it adds work to already over-burdened volunteers, which just isn't nice.)

Either way you want to do it is fine. I don't think it makes much difference in final numbers/results except for reducing a chance of overlooking non-applicable nominees and the surge of bad feelings that can create.

Btw, having some insight into the process last year (mostly as sounding board), I pass on a couple small bits of advice for the tally. 1. Make sure you don't miss alternate spellings. 2. Have at least a couple sets of eyes go over the “finalists” before they are officially announced to make sure the category is applicable. The sentiment among creators last year was that they appreciate support but did not want to take finalist spots from comics that deserved them. (JNP did his best, but he missed a couple, and it caused drama. :P )

last edited on Sept. 12, 2011 6:51PM
Genejoke at 1:53AM, Sept. 13, 2011
(online)
On that last point, would it pay to try and get judges assigned before the finalists are announced and they can check eligibilitgy?
El Cid at 5:45AM, Sept. 13, 2011
(online)
Niccea wrote:

That is pretty obnoxious… but you didn't actually say up front that this kind of thing was grounds for disqualification, so it wouldn't be fair to disqualify people for that. Not to mention that they may not have intended to disrespect the ballot; they could just be an overeager fan with not-so-good English skills or not-so-good deductive capabilities who just thought they were really helping out their favorite comic.

You shouldn't worry about stuff like that. After you've tallied up the nominees, if there are any comics nominated for categories they don't belong in, then you drop them from that category. I think last year Charby was nominated for Best Black and White Art or something ridiculous like that. It happens, but taking away an entire vote hurts the comic, not the person who cast the vote.
last edited on Sept. 13, 2011 5:46AM
El Cid at 5:48AM, Sept. 13, 2011
(online)
Genejoke wrote:
On that last point, would it pay to try and get judges assigned before the finalists are announced and they can check eligibilitgy?

Well, there is that slight chance that you'll assign a judge to a category and then they end up being nominated for it. Like, I'd reeeally like to judge Best 3D or even Best Adult, but I don't know for sure whether I'm going to be up for either of them.
usedbooks at 6:19AM, Sept. 13, 2011
(online)
Yeah, I think many volunteers would like to judge categories their comics could be nominated in.

But you don't need “judges” for that job. Just one or two trustworthy people to assist in link-checking. There should be minimal people involved in the tally process. But JNP did it entirely alone last year and accidentally overlooked a couple things, which isn't something that he should be faulted for. I think having a finalist list proofreader is a good idea.
Genejoke at 8:40AM, Sept. 13, 2011
(online)
True, I would really like to judge best 3D/poser and there is a VERY slim chance one of mine might ebd up as a finalist.
ozoneocean at 8:52AM, Sept. 13, 2011
(online)
El Cid wrote:
You
shouldn't worry about stuff like that. After you've tallied up the
nominees, if there are any comics nominated for categories they don't
belong in, then you drop them from that category. I think last year
Charby was nominated for Best Black and White Art or something
ridiculous like that. It happens, but taking away an entire vote hurts
the comic, not the person who cast the vote.

Damn… I was going to vote Charby in every catagory. >_<

El Cid at 8:58AM, Sept. 13, 2011
(online)
If last year's anything to go by, then fifty people already did just that!
Niccea at 10:05AM, Sept. 13, 2011
(online)
I do intend to have a couple of people help me by cross checking the votes. Looking at them so far, there aren't too many spelling variancesthat will cause trouble.
last edited on Sept. 13, 2011 10:07AM
Genejoke at 10:25AM, Sept. 13, 2011
(online)
if you need warn bodies to help with that i'm willing.
ayesinback at 5:34AM, Sept. 14, 2011
(online)
Niccea wrote:
I do intend to have a couple of people help me by cross checking the votes. Looking at them so far, there aren't too many spelling variancesthat will cause trouble.
I can help with that, too.
btw:  I'm still up for judgng, but please don't assign me the adult category
under new management
JustNoPoint at 11:55AM, Sept. 14, 2011
(online)
I went back and added a new vote to a category I didn't vote in before.

Does it simply add my new vote to what I already submitted or did it erase all my other votes and now I just have 1?
Niccea at 11:57AM, Sept. 14, 2011
(online)
It makes separate entires with timestamps. I went into the report and combined your votes. If anyone else has problems like this, please let me know so I can fix it.
last edited on Sept. 14, 2011 11:59AM
Niccea at 2:15PM, Sept. 17, 2011
(online)
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that voting will be open for one more week. I will be closing it around noon CST on the 25th. I will be taking that day to start counting up the votes. I hope to have small turnaround time between the votes closing the announcement of finalists.
Niccea at 9:25AM, Sept. 19, 2011
(online)
I hate to be boastful, but I think the way I'm counting the votes is
working so far. The only problem I am having is that some comics have
been nominated for both Best Strip and Best Story. I personally think
that a comic can only be nominated for one or the other. So, I'm trying
to think of the best and fair way to impliment this. The one idea I have
so far, other than going to each nominee and checking (which could be a
can of worms if there is not an agreement on whether a comic is a strip
or a story) is to allow the comic to stay in the category that it has
the highest votes.
For example: Comic A had 7 votes under comic
strip and 10 votes under comic story and is in the Top 5 for both
categories. Comic A would be a finalist for story, but not strip because
it had higher votes in story.
I was wondering what everyone else thought of this idea.
To be quite honest there are only two comics that are in the Top 5 for both as things stand. But I was wondering what would be the best course of action…
DaWaterRat at 12:08PM, Sept. 19, 2011
(online)
Niccea wrote:
I hate to be boastful, but I think the way I'm counting the votes is
working so far. The only problem I am having is that some comics have
been nominated for both Best Strip and Best Story. I personally think
that a comic can only be nominated for one or the other. So, I'm trying
to think of the best and fair way to impliment this. The one idea I have
so far, other than going to each nominee and checking (which could be a
can of worms if there is not an agreement on whether a comic is a strip
or a story) is to allow the comic to stay in the category that it has
the highest votes.
For example: Comic A had 7 votes under comic
strip and 10 votes under comic story and is in the Top 5 for both
categories. Comic A would be a finalist for story, but not strip because
it had higher votes in story.
I was wondering what everyone else thought of this idea.
To be quite honest there are only two comics that are in the Top 5 for both as things stand. But I was wondering what would be the best course of action…
I think that method makes sense.  Theoretcially, if more people think that Comic A is the best strip than best story, it's a strip comic (though apparently one with a fairly strong story… :))
El Cid at 4:39PM, Sept. 19, 2011
(online)
Well, Pewfell switched from a strip format to a story format this year so technically it qualifies for both.

Just my opinion, if it doesn't meet the definition of a strip/story, it should be disqualified for that category no matter how many votes it got. But if it's “iffy” for either, personally I think it's better to pick which category it best fits into rather than going by popular vote.
El Cid at 4:41PM, Sept. 19, 2011
(online)
EDIT: Or, if you want to be super technical, since the DD Awards are for ongoing comics, then if Pewfell switched to a story format mid-year and is ongoing as a story comic, I guess it should only be eligible as a story comic?
Genejoke at 12:05AM, Sept. 20, 2011
(online)
I'm with el cid, If a comic fits the category then it should be in, if not it should be disqualified. number of votes in other categories should be irrelevent.
Some comics probably do fit in both to a degree.
Niccea at 10:02AM, Sept. 25, 2011
(online)
Voting is now closed. On to the counting.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved