Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Things to avoid when publishing work on 'The Duck'
MrHades at 9:08AM, Sept. 24, 2011
(online)
Hello!

I've read a few threads asking how to get more people reading their comic,tips, tricks, etc. This is the flip side to that… As in, what behaviour, in your opinion, will makes readers leave a title/unfollow, etc.

My pet pev when it comes to this subject is when an author starts going on like this:
'Here's a page I just threw together… Couldn't be really bothered'
Or
'Feeling lazy, so I'm putting this sketch filler'

Here's a tip. If you care so little about the content you are posting, have no pride it in and start posting author text like above (which you can pretty much find if you click on any of the titles in quails random on the main page), you can say goodbye to me as a reader. Why? Well that euthusiam, of lack of it, rubs off, big time. Why should we the reader give a crap about what you do, when you obviously don't?

Anyway, I look forward to hearing others advice on what behaviour to avoid!
Hey, why not follow me on Twitter? User name: @THE_MrHades
Genejoke at 12:01PM, Sept. 24, 2011
(online)
Mass uploads.  sure upload a bunch to get people started but after that one a day PLEASE.  I know people want to get their work out but give people a chance to find it without vomiting it out in one load.  Alternatively, one page to start then a week wait until the nest, that ain't good either.
Ideally upload 5-20 pages, enough to get readers interested and then do one a day or week, whatever suits you.
I also dislike constant, read me comic.  read my comic, read my comic. sure people do it but be subtle or funny, not just annoying.  Asking for feedback is fine, as is letting people know it is there, but please don't spam it everywhere.
If your post begins “PLZ reed ma comik itz gr8!” I'm not even going to look.
In regards to filler, somwe filler can be pretty good but it if you have more filler than actual content there is a BIG problem.
Hawk at 12:04PM, Sept. 24, 2011
(online)
I thought back on comics I used to read but quit.  And it pretty much always boiled down to two reasons:
1. The premise wore itself out, and I got tired of it. 
Take Axe Cop for example.  I loved it at first.  It's a story crafted by a very young child and drawn by a professional artist.  But somewhere along the way that either that child's imagination ran dry and he started reusing the same concepts, or he actually wised up to his role and the comic lost its sponteneity and innocence.  Whatever it was, I knew that coming back to the comic would only yield more of the gags they've already used, i.e. poop jokes and nonsequitir characters.
2. The comic itself changed from what it used to be.
I recall one comic I read faithfully for several years.  It was a well-crafted fantasy adventure comic, but suddenly it shifted its entire focus to romance and relationship drama.  That was definitely not what I was reading the comic for, so I simply stopped reading.  What the comic turned into wasn't even necessarily bad, it just wasn't what I had grown to enjoy anymore.
Thinking about these two reasons, I realized they're just polar opposites of each other…  A comic stagnating versus a comic changing too much.  Maybe the lesson here is that there's a safe middle-ground between the two where your comic evolves gradually into something good and yet retains many of the things people liked about it in the first place.
My longstanding favorite comic, Gunnerkrigg Court, has managed to do that for me.  It evolves, maintains interest, and retains all of the things I liked about it from the beginning.
EssayBee at 6:39PM, Sept. 27, 2011
(online)
I'd have to agree with Mr. Hades–throwing up some hastily done filler and laughing it off as a result of laziness is bad. Filler itself isn't always bad (and it's generally better to give readers something instead of nothing), but the behavior Mr. Hades mentioned is the bad part. If you have no pride or interest in what you're doing, there's probably no point in doing it. However, I'm sure all of us have been in a pinch or had real life get in the way of comic life, so I think we all understand the occasional need for filler. (Heck, I usually take about a month off between issues–such as this past month–and put up some odds and ends while I get some prep work done on the next issue.)
cyberdog at 8:37PM, Sept. 27, 2011
(online)
I like reading coimcs on DD.  I really don't like the one liners authors post. “Hey guys, new page,” or  the “…..update.”  If you posted it I think you should sum it up. Retell the punch line of the page, or talk about what's coming up next.  Give me a reason to come back.  On the other hand don't post a three paragraph story about how you thought of the page while buying groccieries. People get bored.
cyberdog at 8:41PM, Sept. 27, 2011
(online)
The artwork is very important.  People can tell if you are posting work that is at the best of your ability.  Now we are all at different stages of developement, and we all have different styles.  That's what makes comics awesome. Never post work that is substandard because you think people don't care, they do.  Your energy gets instilled in the pages. Make them the best you can. 
WARRIORBORN!
bravo1102 at 2:39AM, Sept. 28, 2011
(online)
 “Proper planning prevents piss poor performance.”
That's it.  Have a buffer.  Two weeks is good and will get you through most problems unless you're in a country being torn apart by riots or your spouse breaks both ankles on vacation.

Plan ahead and have an idea where and how you want this thing to end, even if you're going to start other story arcs later on, have an ending in mind so you have a goal to work towards.

Tantz Aerine at 5:38PM, Oct. 9, 2011
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
   Two weeks is good and will get you through most problems unless you're in a country being torn apart by riots…

…so right! Add sadistic governments to that.

Abt_Nihil at 10:06AM, Oct. 13, 2011
(offline)
Tantz Aerine wrote:
Two weeks is good and will get you through most problems unless you're in a country being torn apart by riots…

…so right! Add sadistic governments to that. 

I was wondering whether bravo wrote that with you in mind :/

cyberdog wrote:
I like reading coimcs on DD.  I really don't like the one liners authors
post. “Hey guys, new page,” or  the “…..update.”  If you posted it I
think you should sum it up. Retell the punch line of the page, or talk
about what's coming up next.  Give me a reason to come back.  On the
other hand don't post a three paragraph story about how you thought of
the page while buying groccieries. People get bored.

Usually, I love webcomics for the ability that you can add an author's comment on each page, but sometimes I think it's better to say nothing at all, and just let the reader make of it what they will. Freedom of interpretation is important. Having to sum a page up in one's comment can mean that the page was just confusingly written or badly laid out. Or it could mean the author thinks that the readers are stupid :/
last edited on Oct. 13, 2011 10:07AM
sandy at 8:41AM, Nov. 12, 2011
(online)
I agree.  I'm looking over my entire collection of artworks, which I did work hard on and put much thought into but still Yeah, I need to look at what I'm doing and now I'm saying with the old work..  Why the heck did I publish this?  I should be more careful.  In fact, I've been taking a hiatus while I look back and try to revamp what I have as far as storys and content.  It'll take me some time, but I know I can do it.  And this time, I'm going to go full color.  So I am learning a definite lesson here.  Take your time, create something wonderful, and show that you put your heart into it, instead of posting random junkiness that's just been pencilled in and plastered on the site.  ERF!  I have a lot of work to do and so little time. 
Avarail at 6:47PM, Nov. 24, 2011
(online)
You know, going back on the comments dealy, you just need to make sure you don't abuse and overuse it. On my comic, axis, I probably explained a little of only one of the jokes, I sucked on the presentation is all. Otherwise, I've just put a little of myself in a few lines of texts. Whatever it is, as long as it's fluent and not a long rant or explaination, it'll probably be appropriate. I haven't really much of that I've disliked anyway. 
Another thing about the comments though, when you're doing a full page by page story, I personally think it's best to leave them out. It's a distraction in my mind. Let them focus on your material and not what you think or feel or anything about you until the end. Gag comics are a perfect place for comments otherwise. 
 Trying to think back through all the days of web comicking, hurf. Something I've always enjoyed is seeing how skill levels improve. Mine sure had some major increases in just 40 some pages. So it's almost a peev to see “300+ pages” and hardly anything to show in terms of abilitly level improvements. Now, no one is or can be #1 in the art world so comickers should always analyze what they can do better. I should stop talking because I sound like a raging asshole, har.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved