General Discussion

Your heroes when you were a kid
ozoneocean at 8:51AM, Oct. 1, 2011
(online)
posts: 24,789
joined: 1-2-2006
 I was just thinking about this…
 
Who were your heroes/role models when you were little?
I had heaps! I'll try and remember some…
 
John Wayne.
Magnum PI 
The Fonze
The Lone Ranger (from the TV series)
Starbuck (from the original Battlestar Galactica)
Robin Hood (from the old AmericanTV series)
The Cisco Kid (from the old TV series)
Maverick (from the old TV series)
Superman
David Attenborough
Luke Skywalker
Thor
Ironman
Michael Knight (knight Rider)
Ponch (from Chips)
Bugs Bunny
The Capitan of the Love Boat
McGyuver
Syngen Hawk (Airwolf)
Barry Drummond (curly haired helicopter pilot in the awesome Aussie TV show “Chopper Squad”)
Jack Thompson (Aussie movie and TV actor)
John Waters (Aussie actor, for his role in the Aussie TV series “Rush”)
Don Bradman (famous Aussie cricketer)
 
PIT_FACE at 10:41AM, Oct. 1, 2011
(online)
posts: 2,574
joined: 4-21-2007
predator
the terminator
the little mermaid
brett favre
lions.
recess time was intense!
looking at your list and mine Oz, it makes sense why we're botth on this site.
Genejoke at 11:24AM, Oct. 1, 2011
(online)
posts: 3,031
joined: 4-9-2010
A lot of crossover with ozone and pit face.
Conan, I saw it when I was about 6
Han solo
Corporal hicks.
Pete venkman
ozoneocean at 11:51AM, Oct. 1, 2011
(online)
posts: 24,789
joined: 1-2-2006
@Gene-
 
Dr Venkman as well! AND Conan! Plus Egon from the animated Ghost Busters series.
PIT_FACE wrote:
looking at your list and mine Oz, it makes sense why we're botth on this site.
Are you saying we're dorks? Haha, we prolly are! ^_^
And to copy you Pit:
-Lions (because of their hair)
-Leopards and Tigers (because of their outfits)
 
OK, some more:
- Graham Garden (from the goodies. he was the coolest because he had sideburns and he always plyed the professor role)
- Tom Baker's Dr Who, followed by John Pertwee and then Peter Davidson.
-Captain Kremmen (I know it was Kenny Everet's joke character, but I still found him pretty damn awsome)
 
NickyP at 11:58AM, Oct. 1, 2011
(online)
posts: 226
joined: 9-17-2010
My list is way different from you guys :P

-Megaman
-Super Mario
-Sonic the Hedgehog
-Batman
-Link (Legend of Zelda)

I was born and raised a gamer, I guess. Had an NES controller in my hand the moment mom pushed me out of the womb!
Genejoke at 12:27PM, Oct. 1, 2011
(online)
posts: 3,031
joined: 4-9-2010
I forgot Robocop
Chernobog at 8:12PM, Oct. 1, 2011
(offline)
posts: 926
joined: 11-3-2007
Rambo
Tarzan
Conan
 
 
“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
ozoneocean at 12:07AM, Oct. 2, 2011
(online)
posts: 24,789
joined: 1-2-2006
Chernobog wrote:
Rambo
Tarzan
Conan
All bare chested muscley guys with long dark hair? :)
 
More for me:
 
- Rolf Harris
- Harry Butler (Aussie naturalist)
- Top Cat
- Jerry Lewis
- Muhammed Ali
- Hannibal (The A-Team)
- David Lee Roth
- The Harlem Globe Trotters
- Bill Cosby
- Bing Crosby
 
Call Me Tom at 1:01AM, Oct. 2, 2011
(online)
posts: 201
joined: 10-28-2010
Robocop
Sonic the hedgehog  (from the U.K's Sonic the comic!)
Earthworm Jim
Tantz Aerine at 1:48AM, Oct. 2, 2011
(online)
posts: 1,616
joined: 10-11-2006
MacGyver
Thundercats
Candy Candy
Knight Rider 
Kung Fu 
Nick Fury (from the Blind Fury movie)
Silverhawks 
Brave Starr 
Most of the kid sleuths in Enyd Blighton book series 
Some greek pulp fiction characters from old WWII resistance stories that were totally unrealistic and nobody will recognise on this forum :P 
Theseus (until I read up on his later years XD) 
Bellerephontis and Pegasus (the actual Greek myth version) 
Diomedes and Hector from the Illiad 
Odysseas Androutsos, Karaiskakis and Athanasios Diakos, 1821 Greek Revolution war leaders 
Elektra Apostolou and Iro Konstantopoulou, 1940 resistance fighters
Manolis Glezos and Apostolos Santas, the guys that took down the nazi flag in 1941 and marked the beginning of Greek resistance (Glezos is still alive today) 
Antigone and Aemon (though some of their choices I disagree with :P )
 
Genejoke at 1:54AM, Oct. 2, 2011
(online)
posts: 3,031
joined: 4-9-2010
Nick Fury (from the Blind Fury movie) 
Hell yeah.  
Indiana jones
James bond
Musical heroes…
Bruce dickson (Iron Maiden)
Axl Rose
Slash
ozoneocean at 10:11PM, Oct. 2, 2011
(online)
posts: 24,789
joined: 1-2-2006
James Bond! Yes indeedy!
 
Inb4 Pit:
Judge Dread
 
Chernobog at 10:45PM, Oct. 2, 2011
(offline)
posts: 926
joined: 11-3-2007
ozoneocean wrote:
 
Chernobog wrote:
Rambo
Tarzan
Conan
 All bare chested muscley guys with long dark hair? :)
 
More for me:
 
- Rolf Harris
- Harry Butler (Aussie naturalist)
- Top Cat
- Jerry Lewis
- Muhammed Ali
- Hannibal (The A-Team)
- David Lee Roth
- The Harlem Globe Trotters
- Bill Cosby
- Bing Crosby 
Yeah, pretty much. I like the primal warrior types. I'd like to think my long hair isn't related though.
 
 
 
“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on Oct. 2, 2011 10:46PM
bravo1102 at 3:48AM, Oct. 3, 2011
(online)
posts: 3,224
joined: 1-21-2008
John Wayne
Audie Murphy
Sergeant Quincannon (Victor MacLaglin in Ford's Cavalry Trilogy)
The three sergeants in the movie Gunga Din
Cary Grant
Gen. George S. Patton
Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
Field Marshall Bernard Montgomery
Gen. Omar Bradley
Dwight Eisenhower
U.S. Grant
Robert E. Lee
George Washington
Theodore Roosevelt
Tommy Atkins and G.I. Joe (the average dogface soldier)
Han Solo
Indiana Jones
Sean Connery
Michael Caine
Captain Kirk
Spock
Clint Eastwood
The Monty Python troupe
Dan Ackroyd
John Belushi
Bill Murray
The cast of MASH
Oddball from Kelly's Heroes
Sgt Rock (from the comic book Our Army at War)
 
 
last edited on Oct. 3, 2011 3:53AM
ozoneocean at 5:21AM, Oct. 3, 2011
(online)
posts: 24,789
joined: 1-2-2006
bravo1102 wrote:
Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
 
 
Lotta army guys there… I'll go with you on Rommel AND throw in General Douglas MacArthur, mainly because they both looked GREAT in visor-caps- with matching accessories- Goggles for Erwin and aviator Ray Bans for Douglas. :)
 
Plus, I'll go with you on Kirk and Spock, and throw in Sulu because he had such an amazing voice (best on the show).
 
Oh yeah, Cary Grant too, and I'll add Fred Astair, Danny Kaye, and Gene Wilder. I was in Awe of all of them, especially Fred.
 
Gunwallace at 11:13AM, Oct. 3, 2011
(offline)
posts: 236
joined: 10-13-2010
Spock
Brainy Smurf
Tintin
Frodo
Graham Mourie (All Black captain, rubgy)
Groucho Marx
Spike Milligan
Peter Sellers
Luke Skywalker
Brain May
Albert Einstein
Eric Sykes
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
ozoneocean at 3:19AM, Oct. 4, 2011
(online)
posts: 24,789
joined: 1-2-2006
Gunwallace wrote:
Groucho Marx
Spike Milligan
Peter Sellers
Brain May
 

 Aw man!!!! Those are More that I forgot!
Plus Leonardo da Vinci, Genghis Kahn and and King David.
 
-Genghis because of the empire, plus the cool furry gear, David because of the whole Goliath thing (come on, small guy beating a big massive guy when no one thought he could and saving his people AND becoming king, how could he NOT be a hero?), and Leonardo because of his reputation… of course now I look at the works of his contemporaries like Michelangelo and later Caravaggio, then look back at da Vinci's work and almost laugh…-_-
 
last edited on Oct. 4, 2011 3:25AM
bravo1102 at 3:49AM, Oct. 4, 2011
(online)
posts: 3,224
joined: 1-21-2008
ozoneocean wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:
Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
 
 
 Lotta army guys there… I'll go with you on Rommel AND throw in General Douglas MacArthur, mainly because they both looked GREAT in visor-caps- with matching accessories- Goggles for Erwin and aviator Ray Bans for Douglas. :)
 
Plus, I'll go with you on Kirk and Spock, and throw in Sulu because he had such an amazing voice (best on the show).
 
Oh yeah, Cary Grant too, and I'll add Fred Astair, Danny Kaye, and Gene Wilder. I was in Awe of all of them, especially Fred.
I left out some heroes I didn't really pick up until I was older like Dug-out Doug.  I have to agree with Danny Kaye and Gene Wilder though, I couldn't remember everybody as I was typing. 
 
 For me there was also Gene Kelly and Chuck Jones.  I loved everything both did and my real favorite Star Trek cast member was really Scotty but I'd prefer to list him as James Doohan just as I should have listed Sergeant Quincannon as Victor McLaglen who I loved as the actor as well as the part he played.
 
Ghenghis Khan I didn't pick up until college after the series Storm from the East.
PIT_FACE at 5:59PM, Oct. 4, 2011
(online)
posts: 2,574
joined: 4-21-2007
ozoneocean wrote:
James Bond! Yes indeedy!
 
Inb4 Pit:
Judge Dread
….Drokk…..
skreem at 2:43AM, Oct. 5, 2011
(offline)
posts: 71
joined: 10-29-2009
Sid James,
Kenneth Williams,
Babs Windsor,
Charles Hawtrey,
Christopher Lee,
Peter Cushing,
Jesse Mach,
Timothy Claypole, 
Bernard Bresslaw,
Steve Davis,
Batman,
He-Man and Battle Cat,
The (5th) Doctor.
Del Boy,
Ken Boon. 
Arthur Daley
 
last edited on Oct. 5, 2011 2:44AM
Abt_Nihil at 4:30AM, Oct. 5, 2011
(offline)
posts: 1,212
joined: 8-7-2007
Scrooge McDuck
Inspector Gadget
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Batman
Spirou & Fantasio
Brave Starr
Niklaas (from The Dog of Flanders)
Tantz Aerine at 5:44AM, Oct. 5, 2011
(online)
posts: 1,616
joined: 10-11-2006
bravo1102 wrote:
ozoneocean wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:
Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
 
 
  Lotta army guys there… I'll go with you on Rommel AND throw in General Douglas MacArthur, mainly because they both looked GREAT in visor-caps- with matching accessories- Goggles for Erwin and aviator Ray Bans for Douglas. :)
 
Plus, I'll go with you on Kirk and Spock, and throw in Sulu because he had such an amazing voice (best on the show).
 
Oh yeah, Cary Grant too, and I'll add Fred Astair, Danny Kaye, and Gene Wilder. I was in Awe of all of them, especially Fred.
I left out some heroes I didn't really pick up until I was older like Dug-out Doug.  I have to agree with Danny Kaye and Gene Wilder though, I couldn't remember everybody as I was typing. 
 
 For me there was also Gene Kelly and Chuck Jones.  I loved everything both did and my real favorite Star Trek cast member was really Scotty but I'd prefer to list him as James Doohan just as I should have listed Sergeant Quincannon as Victor McLaglen who I loved as the actor as well as the part he played.
 
Ghenghis Khan I didn't pick up until college after the series Storm from the East. 
Now I was reminded of these chaps: 
El Cid
Themistocles 
Alcibiades 
From showbiz I'll have to mention Gene Kelly and Ginger Rogers
Also, Michail Barishnikov.
 
ozoneocean at 9:34AM, Oct. 5, 2011
(online)
posts: 24,789
joined: 1-2-2006
PIT_FACE wrote:
….Drokk…..
Hahahaha!
skreem wrote:
Sid James,
Kenneth Williams,

Oh yes, them two! …them too? Those two? Hahahah. BOTH!
"Oh Infamy! Infamy! They've got it in fer me!
 
Plus Asterix! How could I ever forget that little bugger? :(
And Aslan…
And Ulysses of course too- Partly from the stories but also from the SciFi cartoon Ulysses 31.
And Hercules… only Hercules from the old stories though, not any TV shows etc.
And King Arthur, of course.
And lastly for now: MONKEY! From the TV series (played by Masaaki Sakai). All us kids wanted to be him…
 
Genejoke at 10:24AM, Oct. 5, 2011
(online)
posts: 3,031
joined: 4-9-2010
And lastly for now: MONKEY! From the TV series (played by Masaaki Sakai). All us kids wanted to be him…
hell yeah!
bravo1102 at 10:29AM, Oct. 5, 2011
(online)
posts: 3,224
joined: 1-21-2008
How did I forget two of my biggest heroes in junior and senior high school.
 
Carl Sagan
Rod Serling
 
Carl Sagan because of the series Cosmos which piqued my interest in science and Rod Serling who got me interested in the paranormal via Twilight Zone and the first couple of documentaries he did with Alan Landsburg.
 
Then there's Vincent Price and Edgar Allen Poe.  When I was growing up the two went together in the Roger Corman movies but I didn't know about Roger Corman until I was in college.
ayesinback at 11:24AM, Oct. 5, 2011
(online)
posts: 2,003
joined: 8-23-2010
let's see, first “role model”:  Princess Tiger Lily from Disney's Peter Pan.  My parents liked entertaining their guests by asking the 3-yr old me what I wanted to be when I grew up - answer:  an indian princess.  I'm way more PC now
 
Jenny the cat.  http://www.amazon.com/Jenny-Cat-Club-Collection-Childrens/dp/1590170474
I was so in love with these stories!  got into a lot of trouble by hiding my lamp under my bedsheets to read them past bedtime.  Jenny was definitely a hero
 
My grandmother / Laura Ingalls Wilder.  The line was very blurred for me because my grandmother's name was Laura, she had a sister named Mary, they grew up in South Dakota, and she married a man whose last name was Ingle.  At 6, nee v. married plus spelling weren't significant differences to me.
 
Mary Poppins as pictured by Julie Andrews.  She could do Anything, and she was really pretty.
 
Bugs Bunny, Astro Boy, Fred Flinstone.  Actually, for a number of reasons (black hair, big belly, a yell-er) I thought my Dad just might be Fred when he wasn't inside the TV.  Note:  hated road runner.  I always felt sorry for the coyote.  still do
 
Gregory Peck as ultimate father, Irene Dunne as ultimate Mom
 
then later, in no particular order:  my Girl Scouts leader (she was Awesome!), Eleanor Roosevelt, John Lennon, Dag Hammarskjold – geez, tons others.
under new management
last edited on Oct. 5, 2011 11:25AM
Tantz Aerine at 1:40PM, Oct. 5, 2011
(online)
posts: 1,616
joined: 10-11-2006
I always found it funny that Gregory Peck was actually quite tall. :P
 
ayesinback at 2:27PM, Oct. 5, 2011
(online)
posts: 2,003
joined: 8-23-2010
Tantz Aerine wrote:
I always found it funny that Gregory Peck was actually quite tall. :P
and gregarious?
under new management
bravo1102 at 2:10AM, Oct. 6, 2011
(online)
posts: 3,224
joined: 1-21-2008
ayesinback wrote:
Tantz Aerine wrote:
I always found it funny that Gregory Peck was actually quite tall. :P
 
and gregarious?
He was the same height and build as Abraham Lincoln.  That led to a lifelong ambition to play Lincoln which he finally did in the miniseries The Blue and the Grey.  You have never heard the Gettysburg Address read until you've heard Gregory Peck do it.  His delivery defines the word “gravitas”
Rockeign at 10:10AM, Oct. 6, 2011
(offline)
posts: 17
joined: 3-13-2011
Mr. T.

On the A-Team he always looked after the kids and made sure they had guidance and his cartoon show taught me all the things my parents were too lazy to teach me. He even had TV specials giving kids guidance and stuff like that. I even met the guy and he is a really humble and great guy to be around. Even got an autograph out of the deal.
last edited on Oct. 6, 2011 10:11AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved