Drunk Duck Awards

Too early to look ahead to 2012?
DaWaterRat at 8:08AM, Oct. 27, 2011
(online)
I, personally, don't think so.  And maybe this will light a bit of a fire under those judges who aren't finished yet. ;)
While calling for opinions on the presentation/awards themselves is premature at this time, I'm sure that people can think of things that, with propper planning (something disruped by the site re-launch this year) whoever runs these next year can do to minimize the stress.
harkovast at 8:23AM, Oct. 27, 2011
(online)
I think we should wait and see how these ones go before casting judgement on how well organised they were.
The main observation I would make is that we need to try to avoid having the guy who is organising them quit drunk Duck…sorry “The Duck” just before they are about to start up.
If that could happen less I think it would be a big help.

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
DaWaterRat at 8:27AM, Oct. 27, 2011
(online)
And no site updates in the middle of the primary setup time.  That didn't help.  :)
El Cid at 9:48AM, Oct. 27, 2011
(online)
Next year, the awards should be fully animated!

!!!!!!!
DaWaterRat at 10:37AM, Oct. 27, 2011
(online)
El Cid wrote:
Next year, the awards should be fully animated!

!!!!!!!
I'll leave that level of ambition to RoyDuncan/Dr. Argon. :)
Still, it might be a cool way to do musical numbers, if someone is ambitious enough and willing to keep it TV-PG (or better yet, E) via Youtube.  :)
VegaX at 1:19PM, Oct. 27, 2011
(offline)
The main thing i can think of that could improve the DD awards is to perhaps scale it down a bit next year, remove a few categories. It is clearly getting too big with too many categories and things to handle by just one person. Organizing it all and getting the judges and presenters to do their part in time must be a nightmare.

If we are gonna keep it this way with a million categories it needs to be a whole team working on it and not just one guy/gal.

Other than that i think the DD awards have improved every year and gotten better. I don't think the top10 was as dominant as it was before for example. Sure a few comics got way too many nominations again because of rabid fans so that process still have some flaws.

last edited on April 21, 2012 2:39PM
El Cid at 1:36PM, Oct. 27, 2011
(online)
I used to think that way, that the awards list had some fat that needs trimming, but you gotta keep in mind that the more people you nominate, the more word gets out about the awards and the more people want to follow it. And I'd say for the most part, these are all categories which deserve some recognition. I'm sure it is tough to manage, but Niccea seems to have done a heck of a job on such short notice!

One thing that could be done to offset the popularity aspect of the nominee system is to add a Wild Card nominee. So, in addition to the nominees selected by popular vote, the Nominating Committee can get together and choose one additional nominee for each category who received at least one vote. That way it's not just the most popular comics who get in.
VegaX at 1:44PM, Oct. 27, 2011
(offline)
Oh don't get me wrong, I think the best part of the DD awards is that so many different comics get the chance of getting nominated. I'm just concered that it seems to get bigger and bigger every year, with more and more nominations being added, and as such more painful to organize.

Niccea is doing a great job this year and will hopefully survive to tell the tale.

I like the Wild Card idea. Could work to bring forth some of those great comics that few nominate.

last edited on Oct. 27, 2011 1:45PM
Niccea at 5:16PM, Oct. 27, 2011
(online)
Nope. I have gone certifiably insane.

Also, Hark, be nice to JNP, he helped out a lot behind the scenes this year.

As to schedule, there was one set up for the awards, but due to all the shit hitting the proverbial fan, it got off track. I did my best to transpose the schedule over to a new month.

From my side of things, it went fine though not without bumps, there wasn't anymore stress than associated with any other community project. Remember, I run Mafia (I'm actually the official moderator for the Mafia games) and Secret Santa, so this was just like a much bigger version and almost a combination on the two. I have a slight OCD personality and love to organize things, I'm just terrible about knowing when to ask for help. So, my notes thus far.

The new ballot. I don't know what the old ballot was like, but I liked using Google Docs. The linking was kinda screwy, but I got a fully made spreadsheet out of it. It was very easy to tabulate the votes from it especially since I counted the votes at the end of each day rather than waiting until the end. Usedbooks went through the final product with me and helped weed out some comics and set up the rankings. So, that portion was the easiet.

JustNoPoint, when he saw that I took over, gave me access to the judging forum and taught me how to run it.

A bigger problem was more personal. I started my internship the day judging began. So I have been gone 8-6 Monday through Friday and playing catch up over the weekends. I found it hard to judge my own categories let alone moderate everything else. Usedbooks helped out when she saw issues arrived often arriving to the scene first and I can't think her enough. And there were only 15 outstanding categories and 3 outstanding presentations by the deadline, so it really hasn't been terrible in that regard.

But my overall biggest problem is one we can't fix ourselves. The reason I had a last minute volunteer call is because I had several judges and presenters that don't check their PQs. The fact that the personal quacks no longer have a pop up cost some valuable time because I had to look for alternate means to get a hold of them. And in the case of one, they still haven't read their PQ about their presentation. (I have already passed the torch on to someone else in that case).

Also, little known fact: I got half of the top 10 authors to contribute to the awards this year because I cold called them. As per last year's recommendation.

I'll stick around here to give a better insight to how things where ran if anyone has questions. But I do beleive that I will not run this next year. At least not to the extent. As I said, I'm terrible about asking for help, so I might be better working with and under somone else so I don't automatically take stress on myself. That is, if no one is opposed to somone from the moderation staff playing a large role in the awards again.

And I just want to make sure that used books gets her due, she did a lot during the awards. (As did DaWaterRat). Also I should thank JNP and amanda for making PQ templates 2 years ago in the Judges Forum. I used those to send out my PQs so that went by pretty quick.
last edited on Oct. 27, 2011 5:20PM
Niccea at 5:24PM, Oct. 27, 2011
(online)
New Reply for new thought:

Re: Wild Card: Good idea, but it would take a lot more time and I don't think it could work with everything this year. In a couple of categories, the ones that were voted on became the finalists there were no extras or there was only one other comic.
DaWaterRat at 5:48PM, Oct. 27, 2011
(online)
Niccea wrote:

I'll stick around here to give a better insight to how things where ran if anyone has questions. But I do beleive that I will not run this next year. At least not to the extent. As I said, I'm terrible about asking for help, so I might be better working with and under somone else so I don't automatically take stress on myself. That is, if no one is opposed to somone from the moderation staff playing a large role in the awards again.
I think that perhaps the idea of having a small group (3-5) with one HMFIC in charge of the awards for next year might be a good one.  I'm not sure yet what would be the best way to divide up duties, but it may be worth exploring.
As for the PQ's, hopefully, by next year, that will be fixed, but I've also got some ideas (not great ideas, but ideas) that might pass as work arounds.  The most basic being that in the initial volunteer calling post, there is a note saying that anyone who volunteers has to check PQ's at least once per day they check in on The Duck (and then someone sends them a PQ to verify it.)  It's a pain, and it's kinda honor system, but at least it reminds people that they have to check.
Niccea at 5:54PM, Oct. 27, 2011
(online)
Luckily, for judges an email was required to sign up for the forum. So they were easier to get. The presenters were the bigger problem, but overall, there were only a couple that never got the PQ. I got everyone by invading their comics.
last edited on Oct. 27, 2011 6:38PM
El Cid at 7:33AM, Oct. 28, 2011
(online)
Yunno, I was joking about an animated awards show next year, but it looks like Roy is seriously considering it!
DaWaterRat at 7:58AM, Oct. 28, 2011
(online)
El Cid wrote:
Yunno, I was joking about an animated awards show next year, but it looks like Roy is seriously considering it!
Crap.  Now I want to try to do a music act for the DD awards.  :)  It won't beat the whole thing being animated (if he can do it), so I'm not trying to meet that challenge.  It just raises the possibility of it being done.  I wonder if Deathscene would be willing to record the music/vocals for Morgan and company.
I'm kidding… I think.
JustNoPoint at 1:01PM, Oct. 28, 2011
(online)
harkovast wrote:
I think we should wait and see how these ones go before casting judgement on how well organised they were.
The main observation I would make is that we need to try to avoid having the guy who is organising them quit drunk Duck…sorry “The Duck” just before they are about to start up.
If that could happen less I think it would be a big help.

And here I am still trying to judge a category with your comic in it! I remember when you used to pay me big bucks to win these things!!!

The main reason it seems so bloated this year is BECAUSE of what hit the site. Before the site changed we had plenty of people. This only becomes stressful if you don't have a lot of time for it and/or if you can't get enough volunteers!

For next year I'd definitely shrink it unless the site picks up again. Also if PQs are not fixed maybe agree to a universal system like email or google talk or something.
Niccea at 4:31PM, Oct. 28, 2011
(online)
Time for some early feedback before there is anything to feedback on.

How would you guys like to see the awards presented? I keep going between two ideas. Putting up in a random order (the order the categories got judged really) or in the same order that the ballots were?

Both I feel would work very well one keeps things a surprise, but the other gives some uniformness.
El Cid at 6:45PM, Oct. 28, 2011
(online)
You should organize them so that there's a healthy balance between stronger categories/stronger presentations/more surprising winners and not-so-strong stuff, and intersperse it with the bonus art/comics that people sent in.

Did you get a decent amount of bonus stuff?
Niccea at 6:53PM, Oct. 28, 2011
(online)
No. Not a lot of bonus. And I don't have enough time to sort through the awards in that manner.
I was going to do bonuses when I got them. Heavy focus in the week leading up to the Awards. So I would start showing the bonuses on Halloween or the 1st and then as I get them after the 7th.

I'm asking this question now because I'm putting the scripting together for the awards and I'm only giving those two choices. Like the ballots or in order of judging decisions (except for a few). I wiil have a day devoted only to the character awards and a Day for the Big Ones.
last edited on Oct. 28, 2011 6:55PM
DaWaterRat at 8:59PM, Oct. 28, 2011
(online)
If you're going to have a day for the character and a day for the big ones either way, then I think it would be interesting to have the rest in completed order, just because it would be something different.
If you had the time, El Cid's suggestion would be worth the effort, but lacking the time, I'd go with completed order – except for the Big Ones being the Finale.
El Cid at 6:53AM, Oct. 29, 2011
(online)
Weren't the ballots semi-alphabetical? If so, then you should do it the other way. If the ballots were already somehow logically organized (non-alphabetically), then I'd say stick to the ballot.
DaWaterRat at 7:41AM, Oct. 29, 2011
(online)
Except that the ballots were also by  category.  So all of the style awards would be first, then all the genre awards, then the technical awards….

So I think it would be more interesting if those were mixed up.
Niccea at 8:10AM, Oct. 29, 2011
(online)
By order of judging it is. (except on a couple of days)
El Cid at 5:23PM, Oct. 29, 2011
(online)
I change my vote to judging order then! (not that it matters)

Having all the style awards in one chunk and the general stuff in another would be lame.
usedbooks at 6:56AM, Oct. 31, 2011
(online)
I think things went rather well this year (so far) compared to previous years. :) A little trickier getting volunteers but I expected worse with the site issues PLUS the late start (people in school and holiday-related time constraints for some of us). The drama was way down this year, so I think the methods have been ironed out nicely. :)

I don't think they are “bloated” either. It's the niche awards that bring out some of the neatest comics. The categories we removed (lettering, site design) were not missed and done so properly. Those we added (supporting character) worked out well and did add something to the awards. One little category specific issue brought up by different people is the slice-of-life/autobiography category. Judging it has been comparing apples and oranges, and there was a request for a general drama category. So that should be considered next year (separate “nonfiction/autobio” and “drama” categories).

I can't think of any categories this year that were superfluous or didn't work. Well, sadly, the user awards seemed a little “broken” without a good vote spread. I like the idea of the awards, but they might warrant the axe. -_- But we should say no more until after the awards. (I am a sworn-to-secrecy vote-keeper.)

I am amazed it went so well with all the site craziness and this late in the year, so I definitely don't think they are broken or need an overhaul! Just polishing and hope for a better DD climate in 2012.

Oh, and I agree on keeping the award presentations well shuffled and surprising. :) (And thanks for the nod Niccea. Wish I could help more, but October is the second worst possible month for me right after June. :p )
Strain42 at 3:24PM, Nov. 2, 2011
(online)
I look forward to Next years awards because by then most of my Persona comics will be gone, but P4TW can be nominated for best completed comic (I'm still hoping to win that one this year, mwahahaha)
But no, I don't think it's too early to think about it. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail, etc. etc.
It would be kinda cool if someone put together some musical numbers.
A Duck Awards Theme Song if you will…
El Cid at 7:46PM, Nov. 2, 2011
(online)
Gawd! What is up with you people and the musical numbers!!!
rmccool at 9:36PM, Nov. 2, 2011
(online)
some times I think it would be good if we had one category where you couldn't nominate one of the top ten.. sort of a best comic off the beaten path comic..or great comics you've never heard of category..best newbie first year comic… sort of a way to breath a little more interest in to it.. in discussion outside of this forum the view seemed to be whats the point we know the out come… before the vote.. i find its discouraging.. I should shut up…
bravo1102 at 1:59AM, Nov. 3, 2011
(online)
El Cid wrote:
Gawd! What is up with you people and the musical numbers!!!
Arguably the weakest part of any awards presentation are the musical numbers. Even the Tonys can't aways get them right and that's just taking scenes from actual musicals.  When a musical number goes right it's a wonderful thing but when it goes wrong it's a disaster.

Though it's not too late to add the cast of Glee to this year's DD awards maybe getting eaten by those demons backstage?
Niccea at 5:52AM, Nov. 3, 2011
(online)
Hi! We are here to do a musical number for the awards! -chomp-
El Cid at 6:39AM, Nov. 3, 2011
(online)
I might actually have to do that comic now…

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved