Random Discussion

grrr "sentimental value"
ayesinback at 3:41PM, Oct. 31, 2011
(offline)
I had a major eye-opener this summer when I saw my mother-in-law's stash.  Hoarder

And after the flood from the hurricane this August, I saw that we were holding on to a lot of things for “sentimental” reasons.  A lot of stuff.  *it's not good*

Do you have a material hoard due to “sentimental” reasons?
under new management
Genejoke at 12:02PM, Nov. 2, 2011
(online)
I have a twenty year old Wonder stuff T-shirt, it isn't even moth eaten.  
bravo1102 at 4:22AM, Nov. 4, 2011
(online)
I have the original Sonic and Knuckles tee-shirt as well as the Inauguration of Bill Clinton.  Still pricing them on ebay to judge when will be the best time to sell because they will go away eventually.

But I'm keeping my high school class tee-shirt from the 1980's even if my name wasn't spelled right.  Also have all my report cards going back to Kindergarten and most of the scripts from plays I was in. However, I did part with most of my Army manuals.  The programme from the 1980 production of Any Number Can Die isn't worth anything beyond sentiment but the TM on the M60 series tank is another thing even if it was one I slogged through ten years in the army with and still smelled of grease and sand.

Having gone through lots of financial trouble I've had to part with lots of things that had sentimental value.  If it also had monetary value out it went for sale.  My house is currently so cluttered that I will throw things away. Sadly the wife won't let me go through her stuff with the same abandon.
ozoneocean at 5:08AM, Nov. 4, 2011
(online)
Ha! I have a Sonic T-shirt from Sonic2 on the Megadrive… You guys knew it as the Genesis.
It's all stretched out, moth eaten and tie-died pink and yellow. I don't know what makes me keep it. I never wear it. eww.

Sentimental stuff is like emotional anchors, and not the good kind. I've slowly whittled down a lot of the stuff that is basically rubbish and was ONLY kept for its sentimental value, but for some stuff, like the ancient school reports Bravo mentions, the bond is way too strong.

HippieVan at 9:45AM, Nov. 4, 2011
(online)
I keep a few things, but I'm not much of a hoarder. I have a stuffed hippo that was given to me when I was born. It has extra sentimental value because it was from an aunt of mine who died a few ago. I can't imagine ever getting rid of that.

My dad likes to keep every piece of paper that we've ever scribbled or written on…it's hard to convince him that a doodle on a notepad isn't worth storing away.

My whole family likes to hoard books. Even if I don't particularly like one, I don't think I've ever given away or sold one of my books. I don't have a good reason; I just like to have them. I prefer used book stores to libraries because I like to have my own copy of every book I read. My house is quite literally like a small library. 

Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
machinehead at 5:46PM, Nov. 4, 2011
(online)
I'm really not a sentimental kind of guy. I don't think I have anything from my childhood besides emotional baggage. Jk My wife and her family on the other hand, have everything they've ever owned. We moved a year ago and I wanted to sort through stuff and throw items we didn't need away. She fought me on it and now we have boxes and boxes of crap we don't need in the basement. God knows what happens when the basement is full.
Hawk at 10:15AM, Nov. 5, 2011
(online)
I've hung onto some things I could probably part with.  But I don't think I've gone overboard.  I know when to get rid of stuff.  It helps if you move residence every now and then.  Suddenly you realize there are things you never even unpacked from the last move, and those can probably go.

I knew (and tried to help) a family that fit the Hoarder stereotype perfectly.  They were an American family living in Japan, and you pretty much had to wade through their apartment.  Well, there was a piping problem in their apartment so the building management was moving them to a new apartment so they could work on it.  So, over the process of three months they had been sticking EVERYTHING in plastic bins and lining their new apartment's walls with them.

They kept everything!  Why would they keep a McDonalds Hamburglar backpack?  Their girls were teenagers!  Why did I keep stepping on wet things as I waded around the house without shoes as is the Japanese custom?  Everyone in their family was really loopy and strange, and the daughters weren't even helping them move.  It was one of the grossest experiences in my life.
ayesinback at 6:20AM, Nov. 13, 2011
(offline)
I've very recently unearthed a scrapbook I kept from age 10 to 20, and see that at age 10 I found it necessary to save not one but two rejection letters received from the Girl Scouts of America.  Sentimental value taken to a “new” level.  

It inspires me to announce that if the 2012 DD Awards includes a category for user with most absurd baggage, I will be nominating myself.
under new management
Hawk at 10:44AM, Nov. 13, 2011
(online)
Wait, why in the world would the Girl Scouts reject somebody?  Was it a membership rejection, or rejecting some kind of service project proposal, or what?
ayesinback at 5:40AM, Nov. 14, 2011
(offline)
Hawk wrote:
Wait, why in the world would the Girl Scouts reject somebody?  Was it a membership rejection, or rejecting some kind of service project proposal, or what?
hahaha - yeah, I should flesh that out.  

It was a national event held during the summer that could accommodate a limited number of attendees.  Not sure why I needed two rejection letters about it, tho.
under new management
bravo1102 at 5:27AM, Nov. 15, 2011
(online)
Keeping a scrapbook of notable things from your life is quite a bit different from obsessively hoarding every issue of TV Guide published in your lifetime (to cite one example of a hoarder's hoard)

There are plenty of people who collect things without becoming obsessive hoarders.  Now why does my wife insist on keeping check stubs from 1996?  Or that cash receipt for that DVD I bought five years back? 

“For insurance purposes!”  It's two DVDs out of the $5.99 bin.  I think we can dump the receipt.  However I have retained some invoices from my model and figure collections.  Why?  I was getting curious as to where some of the stuff came from so I retained a few receipts over the years.  I have no idea about half the stuff I've accomulated.  That's one sign of hoarding.

My collection of figures and clothes and furniture is enough to populate and furnish a hotel. A very large resort hotel with over 200 guests.
last edited on Nov. 15, 2011 5:29AM
Djeinus at 6:04AM, Dec. 8, 2011
(online)
Well… I have my old guitar that's broken.
ayesinback at 3:36PM, Dec. 9, 2011
(offline)
This:  http://crapatmyparentshouse.com/
under new management
lenoir85 at 9:54PM, March 10, 2012
(online)
Various stuffed animals, toys, and college-related forms. A scholarship to AI that I'm pretty sure is of no good to me now, haha. Brings horrid memories and I really should toss them. But, you know.
guys. check this out. it's my comic and stuff. whoa. www.knoxenstein.com
Escutcheon at 9:12PM, April 13, 2012
(online)
Is it a dinosaur? Yes? KEEP IT FOREVER. No? Next question.
Is it a robot? Yes? KEEP IT FOREVER. No? Next question.
Is it shiny? Yes? FFFFFFFFFF, KEEP IT. No? Next question.
Does it talk? No? Next question. Yes? KILL IT DEAD WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU
Is it a sketch? Yes? Keep it FOREVERANDEVER. No? Next question.
Is it worth selling/throwing away?
So on and so forth.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved