Comic Talk and General Discussion *

QUACKCAST 57 - Need contributions!! -Topic: Christmas Quackcast!!!
Ozoneocean at 2:43AM, Dec. 11, 2011
(online)
For this one, please write or record anything with a Christmas theme!

-600 word limit. If you do a recording keep it to 2 minutes and send it to ozoneocean At Gmail dot com.

-What do you do with your comic over the Christmas break?
Do you like to draw up special special Christmas filler or Secret Santa? What have been some of your best? (we can have links to them in the Quackcast notes)
Do you like Christmas filler done by others?
Or do you have another cultural holiday celebration like Hanukkah, kwanzaa, Festivus, Yalda, Winter solstice, or something else?

You could even just record a Christmas carol if your like, or send Christmas wishes to all your readers for the year, as long as it's Christmas/holiday etc themed it's all good!
smkinoshita at 1:39PM, Dec. 12, 2011
(online)
Just to get things straight… do you want ALL contributions to go to your Gmail, or just recordings?

I'm pretty sure it's just the recordings. Regardless, I'm going to post here anyway because people need to see stuff to be encouraged to contribute.

For my comic this Christmas I decided to do reader-suggested gift art. Normally I try to do a Christmas-themed short but not this year. This is partially because I don't have a Christmas-themed idea and partially because actually doing gift-art is more in the spirit of giving, don't you think?
Genejoke at 3:01AM, Dec. 14, 2011
(online)
Over christmas I always have ideas for extras but the reality is usually very different. I do take part in things like secret santa and if I can I post something vaguely festive on my comics but that is often as far as I get as time gets away from me.
bravo1102 at 3:51AM, Dec. 14, 2011
(offline)
I plan ahead. I make certain that I have the pages and work all done to carry my comic through the holidays while I go and celebrate by working long hours for little to no salary so others can enjoya safeholiday. At most a viewing of A Christmas Carol and some time with family is enough for me. I'm a very private person and prefer to spend time with those closest to me.
I don't do Christmas pages in my comics because they're enclosed stories with a beginning, a middle and end and too much extraneous crap as it is without holiday greetings. And I'm lazy and never know when the pages'll be posted anyway so I don't know if I'll need any holiday pages. Besides at holiday timewe'd all do well to remember those who can't for one reason or another spend their time at home. Those who'll be home for the holidays only in their dreams.
Ozoneocean at 4:53AM, Dec. 14, 2011
(online)
I should post something too…

That's my fave piece of Secret Santa art that I made for someone else. That's Abbey, from Gnoph.
I love participating in secret Santa because it forces me to try and do art in someone else's style and at the same time results in a gift for that person as well as being part of a bigger community project, so it's a win, win, win!

I don't do special holiday pages as part of my own comic now because I update so slowly and I know what a disappointment a non-update can be after such a long wait.

I can't wait until my Secret Santa for this year is done! Getting a page is great, but MAKING one for someone else is by far the best part of it ^_^
Ozoneocean at 5:41AM, Dec. 16, 2011
(online)
Gullas sent a nice seasonal greetings recording for me.
No one else???
Ozoneocean at 12:23PM, Dec. 17, 2011
(online)
I've decided to extend this for another week, so hopefully we may get some extra stuff in. :)

So these will all be in Quackcast 57, when I interview Rokulilly for the Secret Santa, which will air just after Christmas ^_^

For 56 I will just do Gullas's Christmas wish, so if you want to contribute here and wish DD, your readers or writers happy holidays, Christmas, Hanukkah etc, you have until midnight (US time) on Friday the 23rd!
Kroatz at 4:25AM, Dec. 18, 2011
(online)
I'll try to send something in, maybe a song?
I'm not much of a christmas person but Christmas is supposed to be the time of giving right?
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
ayesinback at 11:04AM, Dec. 18, 2011
(online)
Since this is a webcomic Quackcast, it might be trying for listeners to hear me talk Again about something non-comic.

So, instead, I'm following up on my Quackcast 54 (making stoof) with a show and tell, because they're Christmas-y.
First up: the Father Christmas doll. This all started because I was in a shop and saw dozens of these heads for sale. ew. So I bought one (it came with a fancy green hat), and then made the rest that you see on the left. On the right, he's now wearing the cloak I made (and a belt from an old pocket book - where the boots also came from), and then has his deliveries on him (literally) ready to go.

Next up: the Advent Calendar. My objection to most of the ready made calendars are that the items are “hung” using pins. My kids' fine motor skills were not such that I thought pins were a good idea, so I used snaps. The “days” are pockets that are sewn to the back only on the sides and bottom, allowing a flap on the top that can be tucked behind the pocket to show the day, and once the day is past, folded over top (caught with a hook-and-eye) that now looks like a present. I guess this is 17 years old now.

The last item/s: our creche scene. We purchased the figures, but I just couldn't buy into a grotto. My Sunday school teachers insisted that Jesus was born in a stable. So I made the stable. There probably wasn't much wood in Bethlehem, but I had was short on modeling clay, so this stable has wood. And then I wanted a heavenly host, so I made a wreath for a bit of a cascade effect.

That's it. Now I really have to get serious about getting some Christmas cards out *sigh - I love getting them, but sending them out, not so much*
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
last edited on Dec. 18, 2011 11:10AM
Ozoneocean at 12:41AM, Dec. 19, 2011
(online)
Yay! Keep'em comming! ^_^
Call Me Tom at 3:01AM, Dec. 20, 2011
(offline)
Currently running a 5 part chriamas special in my comic.
I'm sorry for any offence I cause.
last edited on Dec. 20, 2011 3:04AM
Ozoneocean at 4:16AM, Dec. 20, 2011
(online)
Great! tell us why you decided to do it and what was the coolest thing about doing it?

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon