Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA!
bravo1102 at 6:34AM, March 1, 2012
(offline)
Genejoke wrote:
What happened while I was away has been a victim of its own success, just how much more madness can people write and how can anyone make any sense of it?
The whole point is it's not supposed to make sense. It started out completely nonsensical. After all, Ironscarf and Bravo brothers, Ozoneocean the son of Bravo and Skoolmonkee?
Next we'll find out Ayesinback wasan action/adventure star ina string of1980s exploitation movies and is being blackmailedto keepRokulilyfrom being told! Or a love triangle between two characters and a machine gun!

I know that the creative minds on Drunkduck can top me in writing inspired lunacy about their peers on the site in this strange DDiversethat's beencreated. Because I'm getting tired of doing it all by myself. Though don't think I won't just to pisspeople off.
Ozoneocean at 6:50AM, March 1, 2012
(online)
Part of the soap issue I think is that people may think they have to get caught up so they can follow on with contninuity.
But you don't really… Just read the last entry and have a token nod to that continuity then do your own thing or go “MEANWHILE” and add in a some totally new thing. It's so easy!

I'm going to add a new bit, I have some rough ideas and I wanna play with them, but I have to get the damn lines for the soap script all done so I can send them out to people… late :(
lba at 8:45AM, March 1, 2012
(online)
I looked at it and was going to add, but then part of me just went “nah, I shouldn't be writing gibberish.” I've been doing so well lately at being coherent that I'd rather just stay in my current groove for a bit. Plus, I've been unusually one-track-minded lately. I'd just settle in to read the whole thing, spend an enitre day and then never actually get around to putting in my two cents once I realized what I'd done. It's a bit of a curse I've been plagued with lately. I'm incredibly focused on whatever I'm doing and working like crazy on it but usually getting very little accomplished over the course of a day.
skoolmunkee at 9:14AM, March 1, 2012
(offline)
I can't wait til mass effect 3!!!! 8 days!

Also my friend may or may not sell his cintiq (and he'd sell it because he's not sure if the lcd is going, so why would I want to buy it if so?), but he is loaning me his A4 sized pen slate tablet pc, so I can see if I like it. He says I can buy one for like 400 but when I looked them up the cheapest is 800! (and that one a refurb) So probably this whole tablet thing is an utter pipe dream, but I'll enjoy drawing on it regardless. :]

Til ME3 comes out anyway.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
ayesinback at 10:55AM, March 1, 2012
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Next we'll find out Ayesinback wasan action/adventure star ina string of1980s exploitation movies

(you just never mind about my former film career) Frankly, bravo, you've just been doing such a great job of it - and I for one am guilty of having taken your brilliance for granted - so, belatedly: thank you!

@skool,
I thought you had already grabbed up that cintiq, but I'm glad you didn't if it's a question of “replacing” (? – is that even possible?) the LCD. a friend, you say . . .
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
skoolmunkee at 1:24PM, March 1, 2012
(offline)
He didn't try to pull one over on me. :] I don't think he would really get a new one unless the old one actually broke. But it was nice to think it was within my reach for a while!

Meanwhile I have this other one to play with, and what am I doing? doodling with pencils. more old batmans. (I'm not precise enough with the tablet inking yet to finish an abby satisfactorily)

I've been pretty productive artwise this year so far though so I'm trying not to be too hard on myself.

Does anyone else see these stripes? I kind of like them. :]
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Ironscarf at 2:53PM, March 1, 2012
(offline)
skoolmunkee wrote:
Me too: they remind me of a cosy deckchair, or a suit George Melly might have worn.
Macattack at 2:55PM, March 1, 2012
(offline)
After having read through the entire thing before posting I can pretty much promise you that it makes FAR more sense when you only pay attention to the post before yours. Luckily I hadn't been mentioned for a few storylines so I just stated that I had fallen out of the blimp in a fridge and was in acoma for a few months and easily managed to stick myself back into the storyline… speaking of which I think we're catching up to where I come back in the quackcasts so that should be exciting :D
There are certain aspects to being a visual thinker are fairly entertaining. For instance, I heard someone singing the bob the builder theme song recently and now all I can picture is an Obama poster with Bob the Builder on it saying “Can We Fix it?? YES WE CAN!” (Not meaning that in a political statement in any way
@Skool. I have to admit I got into your “Old Batman” comics after they talked about it on the quackcast and I loved them! Then I went through a bunch of your older comics and they were all just as great! I'm sad I hadn't read them up until now you've got some awesome works!
lba at 3:23PM, March 1, 2012
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
skoolmunkee wrote:

Me too: they remind me of a cosy deckchair, or a suit George Melly might have worn.

Daaaang, that's a fine suit. I want one of those for me. Dunno where the heck a guy could wear without getting something chucked at him, but I think everyone should have a rediculously loud suit to wear with a pair of chuck taylors and a cigar.
I officially have a new pet peeve; job listings that say “illustrator” in the headline, that list the entire job as “someone who can create graphics either by hand or via computer, and have a good design sense,” and/or basically describe to the T an illustrator, and then they give you the “we're actually looking for X” line when you contact them. It just baffles me to no end. And although I use “illustrator” as an example, this bait and switch crap drives me nuts in general. It's kind of like having your local gas station offer gas for $1.99 a gallon, but have them tell you that you get the $2 off only if you sign up for their program after you've already finished filling.
It gives me an idea for a business though. You sign up and pay me a fee, and I'll go anywhere or find someone in your city to punch the person of your choice in the face for you. Imagine the possibilities of such a program! now instead of trading barbs, political candidates could just pay to have their opponent punched in the face or say you need to make a point on public television, just hire me to go on an punch the news anchor.
Lonnehart at 3:59PM, March 1, 2012
(online)
Ugh… I hate it when TV shows invade my dreams. I woke up to the TV showing the Mythbusters Superhero Special and realize where this dream came from…

I dreamt that I was in a bank robbery when a superhero appears called Rappa Man. He comes in with his Cheverolet Impala singing a rap song about how the criminals will go to jail for their crime. The criminals pull out their guns and his come out… AK47 and M16 in his hands, shoulder mounted grenade launcher and SAW on his shoulders… and the BFG9000 comes out of his crotch.

I should have my brain examined… It must be intoxicating itself somehow…
last edited on March 1, 2012 4:01PM
rokulily at 4:17PM, March 1, 2012
(online)
just agreeing with people about stripes. i feel like this joint is 10x classier or something- it's nice
bravo1102 at 7:47PM, March 1, 2012
(offline)
Lovely wallpaper that looks like lovely wallpaper. Would also make a great tie.

No one else has to make sense of the Soap or even look at any part except tehone just before them except me. I seem to have taken it upon myself to introduce a tiny bit of continuity or at least segues between the varied bits. It helps that I can speak “nonsense” fluently.

A story has to have its own internal logic but nothing else. Afterall as Iba illustrated brilliantly with his last post about ads for “illustrators” there is plenty of nonsense out there in the “real” world. Often people listing positions have no clue about what they want or are describing. They know what they want but can't define it until the prospect contacts them. When in fact they could probably hire the prospect and find him more than adequate for the position. It remains that they have no clue as to what they are doing. They are wrapped up comfortably in their belief systems but those are severely lacking if ever examined,but they are never examined. There is no introspection, and therefore their real needs are unknown and no applicant will ever fulfill what they're looking for, because they have NO FUCKING CLUE AS TO WHAT THEY WANT!!!!!

In an insane world the sane man will often appear insane and a little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men. Want to make sense in a nonsencial world? Be nonsensical.
lba at 9:38PM, March 1, 2012
(online)
Hehe, when I read that all back to myself, you end up sounding about 3X as annoyed about it as I was. That's the magic of text.
I dunno what it is about this background here, but in Chrome it's really pushed back and subdued. It took me a full two minutes to realize what Scarf was talking about. In Firefox though, it pops right out and it's the first thing I spotted opening the page. The comparison to wallpaper makes me feel like picking up my one “not so manly” hobby again and I think I might give in and go make a few pattern designs for kicks and giggles.
Ozoneocean at 12:52AM, March 2, 2012
(online)
It is very pretty. Lucky Skool mentioned it because it was just nasty blank forest green for me. The BG pic is in an ad folder so my adblocker had blocked it.
Probably the work of Zac?
Anyway, looks good!

I had to do an awful graphic design job yesterday and today… primarily a layout job (with some design work) on a 25 page booklet thing for a recruiting company. Every page is full of text that employees have to memorise.
Propaganda, basically.
“I will strive to do such and such…” and “To be constantly focused on excellency in blah blah…”
Drivel. Any smart employee would bin it as soon as look at it. Immature or stupid ones will study it like a trainee priest with a bible, hoping for promotion or something… No, even stupid and immature people aren't that daft.

Anyway, when you're given 25 pages worth of content that has specific formatting rules, rules on fonts and colours, but varying amounts of content for each page, it's tricky to come up with a design that will work the same way for every single page.
You can cope with it ok, till you have deadlines thrust upon you and a stupid client who keeps on changing her farking mind after you've already done a full 25 page layout!
Only had to start over once completely though because the other times I went back to only giving her example pages to decide on till it was too late and the whole thing HAD to be finished or else.
Hahaha, no more changes after that dickhead!
skoolmunkee at 1:13AM, March 2, 2012
(offline)
Macattack wrote:
@Skool. I have to admit I got into your “Old Batman” comics after they talked about it on the quackcast and I loved them!

The one with Banes and ayesinback? That one was so great :] I keep meaning to draw their version of Abby Sanders. I don't remember them talking about Old Batman though! (Unless it was in another one? I have to admit I've fallen a little behind on listening to them… :( ) But thank you for saying so! I'm surprised at how many people say they like them, I thought they were awfully silly. But it has inspired me to make a few more when I originally thought I'd done enough. :]

I'll have to tell the wowio folks that people like the stripes! :]
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on March 2, 2012 1:17AM
Product Placement at 5:11AM, March 2, 2012
(online)
skoolmunkee wrote:
I was actually wondering if that was results of a very specific type of image error. It might still be the original scaly background thing, except insted of us seeing the whole image, we're actually only seeing the first pixel height of it. Due to the repetive nature of the background property, we end up with this big smear that goes over the screen like that, creating those stripes.

Then again, this could be intentional.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
bravo1102 at 6:03AM, March 2, 2012
(offline)
Except this pattern of wallpaper or ones very much like it appear in pattern books going back toat leastthe 17th Century.I've seen the books in various musuems that have furniture and decoration sections as well as all those colonial houses I love to visit just to look at the furniture and wallpaper. I go on the tour of the house and stand in the background and leanon the wall and stare at the wallpaper. The guide alwyas makes a point out of the authentic wallpaper they found when they restored the building and howthis is a copy and printed the same way. It's amazing as soon as they had developed printing, they had wallpaper.

So you're saying that Blaise Pascal invented the first pixel and blurred it thereby inventing striped wallpaper, passing on the pattern to Louis Jacquard who then created a way to weave it and print it for clothing and wallpaper? So pixels came before looms and programmed patterns for weaving and printing? You must have watched that episode of Connections in reverse ;)

Then there was the musuem of American furniture in Williamsburg which had a room full of Windsor Chairs and went over the entire history of the Windsor chair from its origins in the Russian wood industry to its manufacture in America. Yeah I spent over an hour in there justcompletely enrapturedby pine chairs! Never thought.
skoolmunkee at 7:16AM, March 2, 2012
(offline)
It's intentional, someone got on their twitter and mentioned it. :]
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Macattack at 8:01AM, March 2, 2012
(offline)
whoa! Now I see stripes! I haven't seen the background of drunkduck in ages because of the full page ads. They're actually pretty cool.
@Skool: Everyone needs a little sillyness now and then! Besides, I love batman's storyline so the jokes are hilarious because I totally would picture that happening! :P I also liked your Question and answer comic… and the today I learned comic :P It's just the random sillyness that makes the day all worth it.
So up here the weather can't make up its mind if it's going to snow or freezing rain… which is annoying because if you shovel the snow before the freezing rain it's a PAIN to get off of your driveway, but if you don't shovel the snow and it DOESN"T freezing rain then the snow gets melty and weighs a tonne to shovel! That and I'm tired of trying to peel the ice off of the vehicles… I seriously want to invent a heated windshield
Ozoneocean at 8:42AM, March 2, 2012
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Except this pattern of wallpaper or ones very much like it appear in pattern books going back toat leastthe 17th Century.
PP is right though Bravo- it does look exactly like a certain sort of image error that is very comon to digital devices. Pixel stretching like that happens a LOT with digital camera and scanner malfunctions, it's really quite pretty when it does.

Any digital image processing can produce it, even browser rendering, so PP is perfectly sensible for suspecting that as an accidental cause :)

And stretching a single line of pixels may even be how Zac created this, since it's a LOT easier to make the pattern that way than by manually drawing lines to make a varigated green rainbow.

So really, you're BOTH right! ^_^
-The pattren had to originate somewhere, but the 21st Centry equivilent is easier and quicker to produce.
Product Placement at 9:16AM, March 2, 2012
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
So you're saying that Blaise Pascal invented the first pixel and blurred it thereby inventing striped wallpaper, passing on the pattern to Louis Jacquard who then created a way to weave it and print it for clothing and wallpaper? So pixels came before looms and programmed patterns for weaving and printing? You must have watched that episode of Connections in reverse ;)
Don't be condescending. I was explaining how this pattern could have emerged accidentally.

Observe.

Take a random image of repeating pattern, like so:

Grab a random 1 pixel high slice of said image, like so:

Set that as a repeating background image and you get:

Voila. Pretty book cover. I've seen stuff like this happen before. Images corrupt and fail to properly load all the time. These stripes follow the exact same color scheme as the original background so since it was intentional, I at very least suspect that it was made using similar methods to what I just did, using the original background image. No magical fairytales about how people in the past used future technology to invent frigging stripes.

Edit: Ninja'd by the Oz.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on March 2, 2012 9:19AM
ayesinback at 9:26AM, March 2, 2012
(online)
I like the stripes, too.

and even more now when shown what a scale version could have looked like *shudders*

and bravo - I could have bought yer whole durn thing if you had but mentioned William Morris. just a mention. but with that glaring omission, the whole theory tumbled down into a pitiable heap. of about one pixel height
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
Lonnehart at 1:00PM, March 2, 2012
(online)
I would've liked to see hot pink with white polkadots, but stripes will do. :)
lba at 4:42PM, March 2, 2012
(online)
When you're talking webdesign, it's not all that uncommon practice to create a simple background pattern by creating a 1 px x 1000px image and setting it to repeat in the website's code. That way, rather than costing you bandwidth and having to muck around making sure the image fits all browsers and screen resolutions, it's a low-bandwith, one-size-fits-all solution. You can create the same effect by stretching one pixel in a single image, but that won't get the same file size savings. I don't know if that's what Zac or whoever did here, but I'm not particularly interested in digging through his code to figure it out.
Though, in my past experience it's usually used to pretty tacky and dated effect and most sites just look a lot better using a background colour. It's relatively fitting with the current design though.
last edited on March 2, 2012 4:49PM
Ozoneocean at 1:04AM, March 3, 2012
(online)
I think it looks really lovely here!
In web design I most use that 1 pix thing when I want a BG to be a non-websafe colour- those are the colours that are meant to look the same on every browser screen on any comp, trouble is they're simple and ugly. But generally that's just 1x1.
Lonnehart at 12:36PM, March 3, 2012
(online)
Great… tomorrow night the local Gamestop stores are holding their launch parties for the game Mass Effect 3. Too bad I'll be working on that night. Still… I have the day off the very next day so I can just pick up my preorder in the morning and play it all day. I guess this is one of the nice things about living in a place where America's day begins… :)
Macattack at 1:14PM, March 3, 2012
(offline)
I should be doing my homework…. I should be getting the house ready for my cousins arriving in 4 hours…. I should be working on comics and group projects and trying to find some method of earning income…. and yet what am I doing??? I'm reading Drunkduck forums and listening to soundtracks…. and what's worse is I actually don't regret it in the least :P
Lonnehart at 2:14PM, March 3, 2012
(online)
Macattack wrote:
I should be doing my homework…. I should be getting the house ready for my cousins arriving in 4 hours…. I should be working on comics and group projects and trying to find some method of earning income…. and yet what am I doing??? I'm reading Drunkduck forums and listening to soundtracks…. and what's worse is I actually don't regret it in the least :P
As long as you're not ingesting toxic substances in order to induce powerful euphoric feelings within yourself I've got no problems with that. :)
Macattack at 2:57PM, March 3, 2012
(offline)
no not quite… but I'm sure if I listened to enough minutes of nyan cat I'd suffer the same effects :P
Lonnehart at 11:00PM, March 3, 2012
(online)
Macattack wrote:
no not quite… but I'm sure if I listened to enough minutes of nyan cat I'd suffer the same effects :P
I guess that's what happens to you. The only thing I get is the urge to eat pop tarts…

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon