Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA!
Product Placement at 9:23PM, March 26, 2012
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Yeah, that's pretty accurate. It's a humour parody, the jokes are based on misunderstandings, or at least pretending to misunderstand. It's fun to write like that. Also, I'm aussie,so I don't typically talk that way either, wot old chap, pip pip!
Yeah, all right. It's just that I take pride in my current grasp on the English language so I didn't fully appreciate that jab.

P.S. The part “You were both quite impressive during the awards ceremony. I must say!” was written wrong. It's supposed to be a single sentence, since the “I must say” part is emphasizing on how impressed you were. Therefore you should have separated it with a comma. Otherwise it's treated as two independent sentences and that doesn't make any sense.

…hmm… Maybe that is the reason why I got confused.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on March 26, 2012 9:24PM
bravo1102 at 9:49PM, March 26, 2012
(offline)
Product Placement wrote:
ozoneocean wrote:
P.S. The part “You were both quite impressive during the awards ceremony. I must say!” was written wrong. It's supposed to be a single sentence, since the “I must say” part is emphasizing on how impressed you were. Therefore you should have separated it with a comma. Otherwise it's treated as two independent sentences and that doesn't make any sense.

…hmm… Maybe that is the reason why I got confused.
When writing dialogue there is no precisely right or wrong way to write it. People don't talk in sentences with proper punctuation. It's written to reflect a specific way of speaking. The British speech pattern being lampooned here often those phrases thrown in out of nowhere as a seperate sentence and indeed doesn't make sense. It is the same as the constant “you know”s in American English. The manner in which it is spoken they are often completely seperate phrases as opposed to dependent clauses set off with commas.

Good grief I'm deconstructing dialogue in a story that doesn't make any sense and trying to apply sense to something that doesn't make sense. If I was an android in a Star Trek episode I'd be melting down about now.
Product Placement at 10:22PM, March 26, 2012
(online)
My last post was supposed to be a semi-joke, what with me overanalyzing the sentence that made my soap opera counterpart so confused but saying that commas and periods don't matter much, when it comes to writing dialog is just wrong.

Period marks the end of a sentence and a start of a new one. You can clearly hear it in anyones speech pattern.

Reading out loud “This is good, I must say.” you'll hear this:
“This is good (tiny pause for emphasis) I must say.”

Reading out loud “This is good. I must say.” you'll hear this:
“This is good. (a good long pause, where people usually take the time to inhale) I must say.”
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
last edited on March 26, 2012 10:23PM
Ozoneocean at 10:55PM, March 26, 2012
(online)
It's just a really weird thing to write as part of a sentence…

You know what would be hilarious PP?
-For that bit of the story with you in it, YOU do the Ozoneocean internal voice narration, Gullas will play you, and I'll play me doing my external speech.
…That would be sooooo trippy ^_^

RE - your accent and your English: you've got an extremely good North American sounding way of speaking and a superb grasp of spoken and written English. It can be very hard for the untrained to spot any Icelander in you.
So the parody character is a bit of the opposite of you. Aaaaand, he gets to punch me in the face and laugh about it ^_^
last edited on March 26, 2012 10:56PM
bravo1102 at 1:30AM, March 27, 2012
(offline)
Product Placement wrote:
My last post was supposed to be a semi-joke, what with me overanalyzing the sentence that made my soap opera counterpart so confused but saying that commas and periods don't matter much, when it comes to writing dialog is just wrong.

Period marks the end of a sentence and a start of a new one. You can clearly hear it in anyones speech pattern.

Reading out loud “This is good, I must say.” you'll hear this:
“This is good (tiny pause for emphasis) I must say.”

Reading out loud “This is good. I must say.” you'll hear this:
“This is good. (a good long pause, where people usually take the time to inhale) I must say.”
Not true. A comma is often the same as period for a rest between phrases. This is a really a question of style and how a writer interprets dialogue and for that there is no precise right or wrong in punctuating dialogue. It is what the writer wants the reader to hear as opposed to what is actually being said. People add strange phrases in the middle of their speech that could be commas or periods.
Writing is not like tank gunnery or a tea ceremony. There is no precise right or wrong but a grey area of style. This is something that can be very problematical in business English as many non-native speakers are very precise and rules oriented when native speakers aren't because of the organic way a native speaker learns language.

And I was joking too go musing about deconstructing something that is nonsensical. It's an old tradition to write dialogue and consciously mess up the punctuation. Like the infamous “Look what's that in the road ahead?” and “What's that in the road, a head?” “What's that, in the road, ahead?”

I've sat through this class a dozen or so times and even once prepared a lesson plan on it.
Ozoneocean at 1:43AM, March 27, 2012
(online)
Oh, there just HAS to be a grammar debate in the Soap now between Bravo and PP, but it will quickly devolve into a cartoon fistfight with “Boingoingoing” and “bomph” sound effects ^_^
Lonnehart at 2:52AM, March 27, 2012
(online)
ugh… couldn't sleep at all. Then I start playing Mass Effect 3 multiplayer and I wake up a couple hours later with my xb360 controller on my lap and the TV showing the match options menu anda message fromone of the players asking why Iwent inactive during a game.

And now I'm finding myself falling asleep typing this. So what causes narcalepsy when you're doing something you're interested in, but you get insomnia when you're doing something boring? And does this mean that if I want to stay awake I have to be constantly bored? O_O
last edited on March 27, 2012 2:53AM
bravo1102 at 2:52AM, March 27, 2012
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Oh, there just HAS to be a grammar debate in the Soap now between Bravo and PP, but it will quickly devolve into a cartoon fistfight with “Boingoingoing” and “bomph” sound effects ^_^
I was thinking of true Viking bloodsport with axe, sword, round shield and naseled helmet. After all I did once write a comic called “Go a Viking” A square off between Ivar the Grammarian and Stephan Baldhead.
last edited on March 27, 2012 2:55AM
Lonnehart at 2:57AM, March 27, 2012
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
ozoneocean wrote:
I was thinking of true Viking bloodsport with axe, sword, round shield and naseled helmet. After all I did once write a comic called “Go a Viking” A square off between Ivar the Grammarian and Stephan Baldhead.

……

I can see it now… but not with medieval weapons. Both PP and Bravo going at each other with huge battle tanks…
bravo1102 at 4:13AM, March 27, 2012
(offline)
Lonnehart wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:
ozoneocean wrote:

……

I can see it now… but not with medieval weapons. Both PP and Bravo going at each other with huge battle tanks…
Wouldn't work, it'd be over in 3 seconds.
PP: “So how do I start de engine..?”
Bravo: “Load SABOT.”
PP: “Vhat is dhe sight do? How do I open dhe hatch?”
Bravo: “From my position.”
120mm main gun: BOOM
Bravo: “Target, cease fire.”
PP: “My tahk is burn-ning! How do I get out?”
Bravo: “Continue the mission, battlecarry SABOT”
Swords and shields, it'll be so much more fun to write and listen to. If anyone is up for it, have at it.
ayesinback at 6:08AM, March 27, 2012
(online)
@lba: oh-all-right. I'll leave you alone. just thinking about posterity and all. But no radio play page from you. I accept this.

I do hope that your ankle IS sufficiently healed, tho. no fun limping through life. Family stories tell that when I was first learning to walk, I walked with a limp. They took me into the Dr to see what was wrong. Diagnosis: I was simply modeling my mother, who limped all her life until she started building up the one shoe. Since my Dad was away during the day and I was the oldest, she was the only one around for me to model. A couple of hours in preschool and I was running around just fine.

If the soap is going to include epic battles, I suggest kick boxing instead of clunky swords. not that I'm going to do anything about it.

And re Product's voice, his English is probably too perfect. Here in the USA (hold on to your seats!) we are incredibly sloppy speakers. Product stands out because he speaks better than the majority. Much better! altho I think his accent has altered a bit from when I first heard him speak
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
Ozoneocean at 9:14AM, March 27, 2012
(online)
You want sword fights? The latest Quackast features a fight… with a sword… in the DD soap… with SFX it took me ages to get and put in.
I am SOooooooooo tried!

The Quackcast has almost finished encoding, then I will have to do the notes.
Crap. -_-

I think it's about time for another omnibus edition!
The DD plal, when it finally comes will give us a nice break from crazy plotlines and give us a real story for a while!
Product Placement at 9:23AM, March 27, 2012
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
-describes why he's so awesome in tank battles (having real-life experience probably helps)-
Can we please have at least one scenario, that includes poor me, where I'm not depicted as someone who butchers the English language?
ayesinback wrote:
I think his accent has altered a bit from when I first heard him speak
My accent tends to mold. It used to sound more British than American, back from when I lived in the UK, and I've had it happen where I unintentionally shift my accent to match those I'm speaking to, to a certain degree. I once even had an Irish kid ask me if I were from Ireland (true story).
I'm gonna assume that my accent has degraded a little, since you first heard it? I haven't really been having allot of practice, except when chatting with Roku.
ozoneocean wrote:
You know what would be hilarious PP?
-For that bit of the story with you in it, YOU do the Ozoneocean internal voice narration, Gullas will play you, and I'll play me doing my external speech.
…That would be sooooo trippy ^_^
…I actually might go for that.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
lba at 10:01AM, March 27, 2012
(online)
Lonnehart wrote:
ugh… couldn't sleep at all. Then I start playing Mass Effect 3 multiplayer and I wake up a couple hours later with my xb360 controller on my lap and the TV showing the match options menu anda message fromone of the players asking why Iwent inactive during a game.

And now I'm finding myself falling asleep typing this. So what causes narcalepsy when you're doing something you're interested in, but you get insomnia when you're doing something boring? And does this mean that if I want to stay awake I have to be constantly bored?
O_O
That sounds more like exhaustion than insomnia or narcolepsy.

My guess is that the reason you're falling asleep is that you tend to expend more energy when you're excited or enjoying yourself, so you feel it more, which in turn triggers the portion of your brain that affects sleep even more. It happens to me all the time when I'm working late at night. I thought there was something wrong with me until I started keeping track of how much sleep I was getting every night and realized my sleep schedule was shot to hell. I was sleeping 4 or 5 hours a night or less for a week and then crashing for 12-14 hours, and as a result I was just over-doing it, trying to keep up the energy expenditure I was making on that amount of sleep.

@ Ayes: It's cool. I just tend to get twitchy when people needle me about work habits or doing something extra. I'm maybe a little too used to people treating my line of work as an illustrator and designer like it's “sitting around doodling all day, having fun”. I'm not saying you are, but a lot of people assume I get to just spend 8 hours a day doing whatever I want and that my time's not worth a whole lot. I get about two or three emails a month from people asking if I'll illustrate their totally awesome comic book that they can't pay me for now, but they'll totally give me 15% when it totally becomes the next Blankets, or if I can design their company logo for $300. My job is a lot of fun, otherwise I wouldn't put up with the long days and stupid clients, but now as a result of it all, every time anybody gives me crap about doing something, even in jest, I hear the sound a cat makes when you submerge it in water, in my head.
Ozoneocean at 10:33AM, March 27, 2012
(online)
It's done! I've finished it… wow… Now just have to wait for Jacob to put it up. G'nite guys, I am F….ked.
I hope you listen to it when it's up, I put a lot of work into that radio soap.
G'nite!
ayesinback at 10:50AM, March 27, 2012
(online)
@Product: LOL! I'm not sure how you came up with the word “degraded” after I wrote how your English is generally superior to most Americans. But if I have to clarify “altered”, maybe “relaxed” would work.

@lba: I love Last Words and confess that I was hoping to have a “piece of lba” to include in the comic, especially since you disappeared very shortly after I first joined DD, and it sounds like you'll be disappearing for quite another stretch. I like to grab hold of those will-o-wisps when I can (Ironscarf is another one) - but to date: no w-o-w success. So you were right - another somebody wanting a piece of you AND I had no intention of paying you. But glad we're cool. :D

Just a note, I definitely have fun playing “The Czarina” and I deliberately aim for “over the top” (mostly because I have no opportunity of doing so IRL), but the whole thing is only suppose to be fun. I think most everyone gets that. But when you don't, it's very cool to speak up.
Ozoneocean at 10:52AM, March 27, 2012
(online)
IT's UP!
Listen here:
http://www.drunkduck.com/news/2012/mar/27/quackcast-episode-70-the-love-between-two-buddies-screenwriting-part-3/

Hahahaha! NOW it's time for bed ^_^
bravo1102 at 12:11PM, March 27, 2012
(offline)
Product Placement wrote:
Can we please have at least one scenario, that includes poor me, where I'm not depicted as someone who butchers the English language?
In regards to the DD Soap it is advisable to be careful what you ask for. You could become the great super hero Vocabulary Man who fights the never ending battle against poor word usage and grammatical errors across the world. You might start appearing in every scene to correct everyone's usage and quote Fowler's, Strunk and White and Roget's Thesaurus.

That is one of the problems when I start writing nonsense like the soap. I just can't stop. I really wish I could write a comic like that, but I can't. It always devolves into excuses to have women take off their shirts. But then that was originally one of those gags that at this point I'm guilty of having beaten past death into some kind of undead zombie vampiredom.

I really want to do a comic worth my proverbial bucket of warm spit.
lba at 7:10PM, March 27, 2012
(online)
ayesinback wrote:
@lba: I love Last Words and confess that I was hoping to have a “piece of lba” to include in the comic, especially since you disappeared very shortly after I first joined DD, and it sounds like you'll be disappearing for quite another stretch. I like to grab hold of those will-o-wisps when I can (Ironscarf is another one) - but to date: no w-o-w success. So you were right - another somebody wanting a piece of you AND I had no intention of paying you. But glad we're cool. :D

Don't go despairing too much. You've got until the end of summer at least to try and con me out of a page yet. But I think you should be warned. It's been a long time since I did much like Last Words. I've kind of made peace with the fact that I'm too far past it to go back. My style and attitude have changed way too much since then. Now a days you're much more likely to end up with something a bit more like this: http://www.alexgroh.com/sketchbook/?p=29

Not that I don't still draw goofy stuff a lot. I'm just finishing up the last touches on a pattern of alcoholic lawn gnomes for a gallery showing I'm supposed to be doing next month.
Product Placement at 7:21AM, March 28, 2012
(online)
@bravo1102. I've already been a Frankestein themed doctor and involved in a plot to overthrow the Icelandic government. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up popping up as “Vocabulary man” one day.
ayesinback wrote:
@Product: LOL! I'm not sure how you came up with the word “degraded” after I wrote how your English is generally superior to most Americans. But if I have to clarify “altered”, maybe “relaxed” would work.
Oh, I didn't mean that my vocabulary had degraded. I thought that perhaps you thought my accent was now less native sounding, due to lack of practice. Thank you for the clarification.
lba wrote:
I get about two or three emails a month from people asking if I'll illustrate their totally awesome comic book that they can't pay me for now, but they'll totally give me 15% when it totally becomes the next Blankets, or if I can design their company logo for $300.
Ok. I'm curious enough to ask; what is the going rate for a decently done company logo?
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
lba at 9:06AM, March 28, 2012
(online)
It varies a lot based on the size of the company, what they do, how big their area of sales is, etc., but on average for a small start-up company you're looking anywhere between $1200 and $10,000. It's a bit of a black art to guaging the exact price to charge for a logo design. The cheapest I've ever charged was about $600 for a very close friend, but that was me essentially giving her a 66% discount because I knew she didn't have a lot and we've known each other forever.

And what I was saying in my last post, before the html weirdness, is that Ayes still has till the end of summer at least to try and con me into doing a page, but I rarely draw anything like Last Words any more. Most of what I do these days tends to be a bit more serious and more aggressive
ayesinback at 10:09AM, March 28, 2012
(online)
lba wrote:
Ayes still has till the end of summer at least to try and con me into doing a page,

Thanks, I think. But I said I accepted the situation, and I stand by that.
I would, however, be most interested in seeing maybe a photo of your drunk lawn gnomes. Sounds like a scene that might have been omitted from Amelie

so, my boss took a different job (internal) on Monday and told us about it today. I can't even begin to guess how this is all going to fall-out, but I know it's going to get worse before it gets better.
last edited on March 28, 2012 10:16AM
gullas at 10:46PM, March 28, 2012
(offline)
*grumblemumblebumbles* Woke up yesterday only to be greeted by a seveare case of “I'll-skip-the-8am-class-today” syndrome.

So around noonish I woke up, well slept, made myself a nice breakfast and tea and braced myself to watch a recording for my other class (the lectures are recorded, we only show up for discussions) which would've started at 3pm but was cancelled. Needless to say I decided to duck it and play Mass Effect…

And now I'm trying to fix my sleep pattern, it's been hell for the last two weeks… Come to think of it, I'm speaking from the future (yay for different time zones!!!)
last edited on March 28, 2012 10:48PM
Genejoke at 12:39PM, March 29, 2012
(online)
Can it be? can I see an end in sight?
Ozoneocean at 10:06PM, March 29, 2012
(online)
No, don't look into the light! …it's only an oncoming train :)
Sorry, I've always loved that mataphor ^_^

When I get home from work I'll vote on the voice acting for the play, as EVERYONE SHOULD BE FRICKEN DOING!
Goodness sakes, it's only one thread up you buggers! :D
ayesinback at 9:19AM, March 30, 2012
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:

When I get home from work I'll vote on the voice acting for the play
and he wasn't just whistlin Dixie. THANKS, Oz! Now We Are Six (number of votes total - AND a lovely little book)

so - I tried to make it a little easier to listen to the recordings. This:
http://tindeck.com/users/ayes2012
is the link to all of the recordings in one place. It's not “perfect” because the recordings are listed in upload order, with first upload (Annabelle 1) on the bottom. But if you copy the link in a separate browser window, then you won't have to go back and forth between two web sites.

So many of you have already been very supportive of the project: cover artists, judges, comic artists, and voice try-outs – I really appreciate it. But it would be great if we can get some more votes in!!

thanks in advance!
last edited on March 30, 2012 9:21AM
Ozoneocean at 11:15PM, March 30, 2012
(online)
I voted, yeah. I voted pretty damn hard.

I have nothing else going on right at this moment… But I did vote, and that counts for a whole lotta stuff.
I used italics too, and pseudo American syntax, so I am Smokin'!
-Not literally of course; That would be disadvantages to my health and really quite stinky.

Underline it!
ALL CAPS BABY!
QFT
My lovely Android phone updated to ICS the other night too, and runs like a new device now! Which is pretty cool… at least to the 0.01% of people that know or care what that means. ^_^

I better go back to drawing now…
Yes, I think that would be best.
Genejoke at 1:57AM, March 31, 2012
(online)
well I have now voted, i voted for Ozone everytime to make him work harder MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!
Ozoneocean at 8:10AM, March 31, 2012
(online)
Bastid!

I voted for you at least once. No votes for myself though… I though some of my samples were pretty good, but I did promise not to, and it IS extra work if you get a role! It can be very hard to maintain a character along multiple line recordings.
But being a character is easier and more fun than being yourself… I'm thinking that all soap roles that are actual DDers (all of them) should maybe always be done by someone other than the person they're based on… good idea?
Maybe not… I'm pretty crap being me, but eveyone else who'se done themselves so far has been pretty cool.
OK, maybe all new roles only?
Lonnehart at 8:09PM, March 31, 2012
(online)
Had a blast playing ME3's multiplayer as an Infiltrator. After being downed by Geth Hunters so much I decided to use their strategy and it works. Cloak, get in close, then decloak and let my target have it. Of course some Krogan players accuse me of being a coward… especially after they're on the ground after trying to melee a Banshee (that thing has an instakill grab attack)…

Just thinking about the Council's behavior in the series. They're informed of the threat, and they refuse to believe what they're told. Thenwhenindeniable evidenceof that threat shows up and they flat out deny and play it down while refusing to give support to combat it. Then when it finally hits them in the face they're ill prepared for it. Were there any real world governments that acted like this? Don't know why, but Pearl Harbor comes to mind…
last edited on March 31, 2012 8:13PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon