Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA!
Ozoneocean at 9:37PM, Dec. 21, 2012
(online)
Hawk wrote:
I had forgotten about all that Mayan Calendar junk. I've been looking forward to the time when everybody who panicked over it can feel really dumb.
Welcome to every sinle day of their lives.
The day the world ends is the only day they wouldn't feel dumb!
Lonnehart at 2:01AM, Dec. 22, 2012
(online)
So the “End of the World” has come… and gone… again. I thought life was already way too short to be worrying about the end. But I guess some people find comfort in knowing their end will come soon.

On the other hand, I'd rather be immortal. Even if it means eternal boredom…
gullas at 6:03AM, Dec. 23, 2012
(offline)
Lonnehart wrote:
So the “End of the World” has come… and gone… again. I thought life was already way too short to be worrying about the end. But I guess some people find comfort in knowing their end will come soon.

On the other hand, I'd rather be immortal. Even if it means eternal boredom…
IMO denying mortality would be denying your own human nature. So unless you manage to reach some sort of higher state than this, preferably an enlightened state that doesn't require physical forms, immortality would be a bitch…look at the wizards in fantasy, these millenium old ones…. Even though they have everything, can do everything etc. some still lack this little something something, whatever it could be… well that's how I look at it.
Ozoneocean at 8:41AM, Dec. 23, 2012
(online)
Nah, immortality would be the tits.
The Norse gods rocked immortality, till damn Ragnarock… :(
Immortality is life's goal- We are sentient, self sustaining chemical reactions programmed on the deepest level to maintain ourselves at all costs, no mater what (not just as individuals but as a species), to spread and to continue. That's ALL life. The only way to ensure continuance so far is through procreation. Procreation is NOT the purpose of life, that would be illogical; life is the only purpose of life.
There are other types of life that last a LOT longer, like stromatalites and certain trees. It's a goal to strive for.

/end weird kyuo rant

——
Oh maannnn… Christmas carols 'round here are definitely not what they used to be. Almost all the Santa, Christmas type songs were pushed aside by the Jesus ones and then the local Anglican priest has a speech halfway through about the “real” meaning of Christmas being about only the birth of Jesus and basically proselytising for his own church, Jesus this and Jesus that…
I was taken aback. That's not the Australia I know. People just didn't DO that shit when I was a kid. Christmas was for all, not just Christians and people kept that full on stuff to themselves. Ever since that damn invasion of Iraq things have been slowly getting weirder. I could easily imagine this pastor going “Allah Akbar! We must purge the infidel” etc etc.
Same shit, different religion.

Besides, if you're going to go all mad and preachy I say wear your traditional costume, a fleece and a polo shirt with a popped collar just doesn't cut it.

I'm fine with ALL religions, no matter what they are, as long as they don't get in my face. We celebrate Christmas because it's part of our cultural heritage and it's fun. When people try and reassert this 19th century Puritan revival crap on it they just make Christmas crappy and exclusive. People hated that then and they hate it now too.
HippieVan at 11:22AM, Dec. 23, 2012
(online)
I couldn't agree with you more about Christmas, ozone.
My parents were buddhists and I'm an atheist, but you'd have a hard time finding someone who loves Christmas more than I do. I even like the Jesus-y Christmas carols and the story about baby Jesus being born in the manger…the difference is just that I don't think it's true. For me it's a cultural tradition, not a religious one.

I also don't have to get all indignant when people wish me “Happy Holidays”…that seems to be the hip thing to do right now.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Lonnehart at 7:21PM, Dec. 25, 2012
(online)
Um… hmm…

Youtube Video: Dog uses Cat as pillow

:)
Banes at 12:32PM, Jan. 1, 2013
(offline)
Eerily quiet around here, innit!

Happy New Year, everybody!

Lonnehart at 1:28PM, Jan. 1, 2013
(online)
They probably had a little too much to eat and drink. You know how New Year's Celebrations are (I was at work and had to dodge the fallout because people shoot guns into the air illegally).
Banes at 7:16PM, Jan. 1, 2013
(offline)
Yikes!

I happily avoided many excesses over the holiday season. Quite pleased about that!

Banes at 7:17PM, Jan. 1, 2013
(offline)
…even somehow resisted the urge to fire guns into the air! XD

lba at 9:00PM, Jan. 1, 2013
(online)
I lead an enforced lame life. I have a roomate who insists upon keeping alcohol out of the house because her daddy was an alcoholic and now nobody can drink, even in moderation. It kind of kills the party atmosphere when you're constantly being called an alcoholic for having more than 3 bottles of any alcoholic beverage in the house or drinking more than once a week. My habit of having a beer or glass of wine with my dinner a couple nights a week is how you know I'm one step from a raging bender.
TL;DR, I'm back from army training command hell and I don't like having a roomie. Growl growl, grump, hiss, boo.
Ozoneocean at 11:54PM, Jan. 1, 2013
(online)
New years was a noisy rave party in the bush, miles from nowhere. The music was dire (of course) but the dancing was good, the lights were pretty, and the company was amenable.
Covered in fine black dust the next day, absolutely filthy! Thank goodness the heat abated somewhat finally, it has been hard, oven cooking, dry roasting hell the last week or so.
It was still pretty hot yesterday but today is wonderful and mild! ^_^

On the ride back the next day after the rave my companion was rather snappish and shrew, in a strange smiling sort of way… it put a damp blanket over any residual feelings of exhausted contentment, probably the after effect of all that marijuana. Little bit of paranoia setting in.
Didn't touch anything myself, didn't even drink. Felt nothing but dead tired. And no headaches! YAY!!!!!
bravo1102 at 8:58AM, Jan. 2, 2013
(offline)
I worked and not much happened. I got some leftover cake from the building's New Year's party and listened to the a 2013 predictions radio show. Since I'm done with the graphics for the current comic there's not a lot to keep me occupied at work outside of solitaire and reading.

I'm trying to write a fantasy script and have pulled a bunch of ideas together but figuring out how to get to the end is proving hard because my original conseption of the story was totally different. I promised myself that I'd shoot it rather than the sci-fi one I have ready if I oculd finish it.
gullas at 9:20PM, Jan. 2, 2013
(offline)
This new years was a bit different from the ones I'm used to. To start with I wasn't with my family, rather I was invited to my friend's home were it sorta became an unofficial “get together” party from my work. Then we (me, my friend, his cousin) sat down with his gradpa for quiet a bit, just talking and drinking ofcourse. That's how I spent my night.
Man I seriously need new shoes. My boots leak, just one of them and I just woke up sick :'(
lba at 10:29PM, Jan. 2, 2013
(online)
That sucks dude. By far, boots crapping out are like a number 2 or 3 in my top 10 ways to make life absolutely miserable. There are few things that are more likely to ruin you than having wet, cold feet when you're out trying to get things done.

I don't know why, but I was kind of getting my hopes up this year that just maybe for the first time in the 6 or 7 years I've been trying to go to Comic Con that it would actually happen. Unfortunately, it's not going to be a go and tickets are going to be on sale and sold out pretty quickly this year. I thought I'd end up having more cash than I do after everything, but the budget just won't do it. I don't know why I'm so dead set on going given that it's like the mecca of mainstream comics geekdom and I'm way more into the indies and alternatives, but it's slowly becoming a sort of bucket list item.
bravo1102 at 11:36PM, Jan. 2, 2013
(offline)
But please do not expect to wear jungle boots with the vents in the sole and expect to walk in snow and your feet not get wet. The vents are there to drain tropical swamp waters and the like not snow or cold NJ puddles.

After over 25 years I finally retired my initial issue boots. Now I'm about ready to retire the 20 year old pair of speed lace jungle boots. The Danner mountain boots have their exterior destroyed by salt but still keep the feet warm and dry in muck, water and snow. I still have my original green canvas sided jungle boots, black speed lace and non-lace tank crewman boots. So I can't claim I need new boots. And damn if after all these years I still don't have a few pair of old army issue socks. I've learned over 30 years of boot wearing that socks matter almost as much as the boot.

Never ask an old soldier about boots you're likely to get a lengthy disertation about socks and boots, wet feet, frostbite and “yeah I remember when…”
Ozoneocean at 11:38PM, Jan. 2, 2013
(online)
If you mean Comic Con in San Diego, just hang out for the hotel sale linked tickets.

It can be a bit expensive if your budget is low, but it's by far the easiest way.
It's never guaranteed to happen but usually does. Just a month to a few week from the event they sell passes for the entire time at the Con with a 3 or 4 night (can't recall which) stay at some of the hotels around about the place.

Depending on how early you get in with that you can get a stay at a relatively cheap place that's not too far from the con. But if you do get a place that's far away that's usually fine anyway because they have fantastic free transport to and from the con anyway, nice and regular. :)
Ironscarf at 1:07PM, Jan. 4, 2013
(offline)
Slightly belated happy new year to everyone - I'd like to give you all a piece of my entirely handmade and alcohol infused christmas cake, but I ate it all. Oh well, roll on christmas 2013.
Ozoneocean at 12:38AM, Jan. 5, 2013
(online)
Merry Christmas to you as well! Thank goodness it's over though… I went through so much angst over gifts to give people. o_O
gullas at 7:33AM, Jan. 5, 2013
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Merry Christmas to you as well! Thank goodness it's over though… I went through so much angst over gifts to give people. o_O
Never understood people who do that. I usually take my time and try to be done with it way before the holidays… usually because I don't have time to do it in december, school/work/family comes first :… Eurgh my uncle's birthday was few days ago and I'm jeallous of the dvd I got him. Shawkshank Redemtion script/special edition. *sigh* hopefully it will be still on saleafter this weekend :(
skoolmunkee at 5:27PM, Jan. 5, 2013
(offline)
Hello sweeties!
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Niccea at 9:23AM, Jan. 6, 2013
(offline)
Christmas was a bit disappointing for me. I turned on my laptop, and it wouldn't come on. I am now on my replacement computer which is a Windows 8. I opperates like a computer and a tablet had a baby. Takes a lot of getting used to with out the traditional Start menu.
Ozoneocean at 9:55AM, Jan. 6, 2013
(online)
skoolmunkee wrote:
Hello sweeties!
Well hey-low sexsay!

Niccea, they say the trad start menu can be enabled in Win 8 machines. Though I wouldn't really know since my new comp is Win 7… Got it just before they started sellin the Win 8 stuff. I didn't want to chance it with the new OS.
Ironscarf at 5:05AM, Jan. 7, 2013
(offline)
Still using Windows XP - there's no way they're getting me on to Vista.

Hello Skool' :)
last edited on Jan. 7, 2013 5:06AM
gullas at 10:45AM, Jan. 7, 2013
(offline)
aw Iron… I miss XP :'( to bad I'm stuck with 7 at the moment. Maybe when I've got enough dough, I'll build myself one and use linux or something…. the dreams
Lonnehart at 12:40PM, Jan. 8, 2013
(online)
Been watching elementary schools for a couple of weeks now. Very stressful. I mean… during the daytime they are wonderful places where children play and learn. But at night…

They are freakin' creepy. If you wanted a perfect zombie apocalypse setting, they're one place you should have. Strange noises I have not heard anywhere, cain toads hopping out of nowhere behind me, geckos dropping onto my shoulders… and spying on my coffee when I'm not looking… brr…

Well… time to relax to some music. Namely..

Robert Miles - Children (Dream Version)
bravo1102 at 5:03AM, Jan. 9, 2013
(offline)
Lonnehart wrote:
Been watching elementary schools for a couple of weeks now. Very stressful. I mean… during the daytime they are wonderful places where children play and learn. But at night…

They are freakin' creepy. If you wanted a perfect zombie apocalypse setting, they're one place you should have.
Empty apartment buildings, especially lower levels that have the walls and electrical wiring pulled out because of flood damage. Wandering with a flashlight throughhallways full of wires and cables and great big holes in the walls is super creepy. Then checking the hallways of the empty rooms with the huge “X” on each from the mandatory evacuation and everything looks like the people vanished right in the midst of things. Somebody leaves stuff out as if they'll be right back and there are always unexplained wrappers.

And here I am the security guard armed only with flashlight and the zombies are around there awaiting the usual first victim; the security guard armed with only a flashlight. Yeah, let's hook the laptop up to the emergency power and watch horror movies.
Genejoke at 2:22PM, Jan. 9, 2013
(online)
I would have thought you'd be armed bravo, that's what TV tells us about america. every fucker is armed.
Lonnehart at 4:53PM, Jan. 9, 2013
(online)
Genejoke wrote:
I would have thought you'd be armed bravo, that's what TV tells us about america. every fucker is armed.
We're definitely armed. We have been taught by the Military how to kill with guns, fists, or anything we find. So what makes zombies so dangerous? A lone zombie can be taken down hand to hand easily. Two will be a problem, though. And a horde… we might as well let them eat us.
bravo1102 at 6:28PM, Jan. 9, 2013
(offline)
Genejoke wrote:
Every fucker is armed. It's the fucked who are not.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon