Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA!
ayesinback at 12:27PM, Feb. 3, 2012
(online)
aw man! PIT!

I don't know how I missed your super shiny metallic news! maybe I didn't get all the goop out of my eyes yet.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
PIT_FACE at 2:54PM, Feb. 3, 2012
(online)
thanks Ayes! very excited about it!

Lonnehart at 5:14PM, Feb. 3, 2012
(online)
Here's a weird idea I got about “animal cruelty”… What if you feed your pet in your backyard in the same place every day, but yet he's gotten very skinny and may be starving? But when the investigators check things out the see that it's your neighbors dog that's been going under/over/through the fence and stealing your dog's food while you're gone… because that neighbor trained him to do so? Are you cruel for not watching your dog eat, or is he for training his dog to steal food that's not his?

Just needed to get that out of my mind before I go any further into insanity than I already am. Doesn't help that I thought I fixed my pipes to my house, then get a $300+ water bill (I normally pay $30-$40) for the last month due to a leak that I can't see. So I did the only thing I could. Filled several buckets full of water from the hose and several jugs full of drinking water, then cut off the main to my place. If that “electronic” water meter still reads that I'm using up thousands of gallons (when I normally use less than 500)then I can prove it's faulty (I have a lock on my main so it won't “turn by itself”)…
last edited on Feb. 3, 2012 5:15PM
PIT_FACE at 6:58PM, Feb. 3, 2012
(online)
Lonnehart wrote:
Here's a weird idea I got about “animal cruelty”… What if you feed your pet in your backyard in the same place every day, but yet he's gotten very skinny and may be starving? But when the investigators check things out the see that it's your neighbors dog that's been going under/over/through the fence and stealing your dog's food while you're gone… because that neighbor trained him to do so? Are you cruel for not watching your dog eat, or is he for training his dog to steal food that's not his?

Just needed to get that out of my mind before I go any further into insanity than I already am. Doesn't help that I thought I fixed my pipes to my house, then get a $300+ water bill (I normally pay $30-$40) for the last month due to a leak that I can't see. So I did the only thing I could. Filled several buckets full of water from the hose and several jugs full of drinking water, then cut off the main to my place. If that “electronic” water meter still reads that I'm using up thousands of gallons (when I normally use less than 500)then I can prove it's faulty (I have a lock on my main so it won't “turn by itself”)…
the other guy's cruel AND an asshole for not buying his OWN fuckin dog dog food! why do ya ask?

Lonnehart at 10:53PM, Feb. 3, 2012
(online)
It's just something I've been wondering about. I watch too many animal shows I think and during those long boring hours at work I think about things like this. Probably inspired by that one show where a neighbor's rotweillers(spelling) broke into a home and killed thesmall dog thatin there and the neighbor not feeling any remorse for it.
I'm more thankful that things aren't more exciting… likerecently whensome teenagers tried to make off with one of the tenant's mopends. They didn't exactly get away with it in their posession, though. They got away, but that moped was too heavy for them to carry out quickly.
last edited on Feb. 3, 2012 10:54PM
HippieVan at 10:55PM, Feb. 3, 2012
(online)
I've only talked to one of my schoolmates since I graduated, but somehow I still got myself invited to a party with some of them. I'm a little bit proud of myself. My first instinct was to make up an excuse not to go, but I went and it wasn't bad at all. Although I was very aware of my hands being sweaty the whole time.
Now I'm too hyped up to go to sleep, though.

Congrats on the job, pit!
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Ozoneocean at 10:25AM, Feb. 4, 2012
(online)
I just saw the first Ironman film for the first time, it wasn't bad. The second one was lame so I wasn't expecting much for this one. It wasn't just the action and pizazz you'd expect, their was a kernel of cleverness.
With very good performances by good actors.

Then I watched the first Austin Powers movie for the first time and wasn't too impressed.
The DVD was messed up, so maybe it got better at the end, but I doubt it.
Basically I thought it was just dong a pastiche gumbo of Get Smart, I Dream of Jeanie, The New Avengers, Jason King, The Pink Panther, Batman, Carry On and many other 60s-early 70s classics and contrasting them a little bit with the 90s.

That was ok, but for that sort of humour and style the originals are WAAAAAY better at it in every sense.
-And it wasn't a spoof on those old classics either, it was a straight out honest borrowing. The originals were already campy and spoofy anyway. It's really more of a homage than anything else.

———–

Congrats on the job Pit!
Monel is my new favourite metal.
I learned about it yesterday. I love it :)
Macattack at 12:24PM, Feb. 4, 2012
(offline)
Wow Oz, you've been on a movie revue marathon lately! And congrats Pit on the job!! You want to become an archeologist? I'm not gonna lie that's pretty awesome! I love history and all the mystery to it… pity schools tend to try and make it sound so drab and boring :P
Oye vey I'm bad at keeping up with forums :P I tend to only come on here when I'm about ready to go nuts and need an escape (not that I'm all that sane to start with) So let's see here…
- I turn 21 in about a week and a half (the 15th) and seriously it's the first year that it's starting to hit me that I'm getting older (don't laugh all you older than me I know you can relate) Haven't decided yet if I should be freaked out or excited about this :P
- I think I'm finally starting to make progress on this switch from Aviation to General Business after about…. 6 or 7 months of arguing. So provided I survive this semester I should only have about 3 more courses I need to do to be done school… though as I'm taking 1st 2nd and 3rd year courses all in the same semester they haven't made surviving all that easy.
- Still trying to figure what I want to do when I get out of school. Ultimately what I want is simple. I just want to help others accomplish all that they can in life and find some ways to trigger progress around the world…. though that's not really all that easy for a 21 year old going along on his last few funds
- Finally in whatever spare time I force into my schedule for sanity's sake I've been working on rewriting Chapter 1 of my comic Wireless that I lost about a year ago. Considering it started as kind of a short story comedy I wrote to experiment with a new art style I'm kind of impressed (and relatively shocked) as to what it's grown into. I mean I'm no Jim Lee but I've actually been starting to see a loyal fan base growing despite my utterly obvious lack of art talent. Just one of those moments that makes all the time spent drawing these things all the more worth it :)
Phewph, not gonna lie this forum's almost therapeutic some times. Before I go though!http://www.pvponline.com/2000/07/21/fri-jul-21/Giant Panda
ayesinback at 12:58PM, Feb. 4, 2012
(online)
Macattack wrote:
- I turn 21 in about a week and a half (the 15th) and seriously it's the first year that it's starting to hit me that I'm getting older (don't laugh all you older than me I know you can relate) Haven't decided yet if I should be freaked out or excited about this :P
Hey! fellow Aquarian - Happy Birthday , almost :) My birthday is this week. Excited or freaked? that's always the question, and so, always opt for the excited option. Do eeeeeeeet!!

So. Maybe I have one eureka moment per month. maybe. Some are really lame, but it's always some kind of revelation for me. But today's Eureka is heavy duty. It's the answer to something that has perplexed me for MANY years:

Why The forkin Hell can't my husband Ever push the chair back in under the table - or turn off the light/TV when he leaves the room - or push the drawer back into the cupboard - or freaking just not Stack unassociated papers together?!!? WHY! it's really not that tough.

Why? today I finally understand. In a past life, my husband was a poltergeist.
Not sure what to do with this newly gained info. Gosh darn it!! Where IS Kyupol when you need him?
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
Kroatz at 3:41PM, Feb. 4, 2012
(online)
ayesinback wrote:
Why? today I finally understand. In a past life, my husband was a poltergeist.
Not sure what to do with this newly gained info. Gosh darn it!! Where IS Kyupol when you need him?
Abducted by satanist alien republicans of course, but he'll turn up sooner or later.

I am working on an interesting new project, the idea has been a long time in the making but only very recently me and the rest of my team actually started work. We will be spending the next 20 weeks building a short 3D animation, sort of a promo for a video game we will hopefully one day be creating. Check me and the rest of team Jigglephysics out at either Jigglephysics.com or Project-sand.com

Do it Naow!
NAOW!
NAOW!
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
Product Placement at 4:30PM, Feb. 4, 2012
(online)
Being someone with limited funds, I need to pick and choose what I want to indulge myself with. However thanks to this kickstarter drive, I'm super interested in buying the entire comic collection of the order of the stick.

How excited am I, might you ask? Well, excited enough to create my own thread about it on the Media Megaforum.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
Armagedon at 11:45PM, Feb. 4, 2012
(online)
amen to that Product! Being financially limited sucks :(
Ozoneocean at 5:22AM, Feb. 5, 2012
(online)
ATTENTION!
For those of you curious to know about the current direction of DD and its parent company Wowio, here are a couple of sources.
You can see Brian Altounian (head of Wowio) talking about plans on CNN here:
- http://www.youtube.com/user/Pleasureellis?feature=mhee#p/f/34/MEYe2d4euqs
And the very LATEST here:
- http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-737683

The vids are pretty technically focussed on business lingo, but don't be fooled into thinking it's bullshit and blather. He's just talking about making the company public and also describing what the company actually does in order to attract the attention of potential investors.
As far as that concerns DD, the idea is that when they have public money onboard they'll be able to restart development.
But it's all a waaaaaaiiiit because it's a fricken looooong process.

If you want more current info on the company and the guy in charge it's all in their respective Twitter accounts:
http://twitter.com/BrianAltounian
http://twitter.com/wowio

All that info has always been pretty easily accessible, but I only thought about posting it because of the “health of the Duck” thread in the Debate and Discussion forum.
last edited on Feb. 5, 2012 5:26AM
gullas at 8:11AM, Feb. 5, 2012
(offline)
twisted my ankle last night and spent money on taxi… and it hurts like hell right now.
last edited on Feb. 5, 2012 10:40AM
Gunwallace at 11:09AM, Feb. 5, 2012
(offline)
The major problem I have with “the Duck” is the that they took away
user advertising, such as Project Wonderful ads. Basically, they want to
make money off of our content, but they don't want the creators of the
pages to share in that revenue stream.
Watching that video, for
all it's promise of public financing of expansion, and so on, just made
me pissed off because the discussion was all about money and advertising
… with no mention of the people creating that content for them
(characters were mentioned, but only as things to be more broadly
marketed so as to generate more income).
I'm tempted to leave the
site and delete my content because I don't see the value to me of their
current model, nor do I see them changing things in the future. I
particularly don't see the reason why any of the really popular comics
on The Duck are still here. Every click you get on this site is, in the
langauge used in that CNN segment, wasted revenue for your product and a
negative growth potential for your brand.
Wowio need to modify their paradigm, buzz word, buzz word, buzz word, etc …
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
Ozoneocean at 5:04PM, Feb. 5, 2012
(online)
Gunwallace wrote:

Sorry man, there are two a BIG misunderstandings here:

1. User advertising on DD was always meant to be reimplemented, but it's just like the stats pages; Lawrence didn't get up to that by the time development paused.

2. Brain is talking about Wowio digital publishing, NOT DrunkDuck there. All that stuff about ads in content etc have nothing what so ever to do with DD, that is all about e-books and having ads inside the ebooks to make them really cheap or free.

Brian is talking about where our Parent company is headed, NOT us.

The reason I posted that and linked it is that when the parent company gets some money again, then WE will here and development can continue.
It's nothing to get mad about, it's just some news about what's happening behind the scenes for those interested or those curious about the lack of news there.
last edited on Feb. 5, 2012 5:13PM
Kroatz at 5:42PM, Feb. 5, 2012
(online)
Have you all checked out Project-sand.com yet? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I'm getting more and more headaches lately, also I apparently recently started having premonitions. My brother is getting kind of worried about me and this has been affecting his work as a demon hunter. Luckily I haven't made a big deal out of it and I can still help him out where needed. We still haven't found our father but we did find some traces that he is still alive, his phone, that was disconnected, now plays a message to call me and my brother if anyone needs us. I'm gonna get that yellow-eyed demon and end all of this so that I can finally go back to a normal life.
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
Gunwallace at 7:42PM, Feb. 5, 2012
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Gunwallace wrote:

Sorry man, there are two a BIG misunderstandings here:

1. User advertising on DD was always meant to be reimplemented, but it's just like the stats pages; Lawrence didn't get up to that by the time development paused.

2. Brain is talking about Wowio digital publishing, NOT DrunkDuck there. All that stuff about ads in content etc have nothing what so ever to do with DD, that is all about e-books and having ads inside the ebooks to make them really cheap or free.

Brian is talking about where our Parent company is headed, NOT us.

The reason I posted that and linked it is that when the parent company gets some money again, then WE will here and development can continue.
It's nothing to get mad about, it's just some news about what's happening behind the scenes for those interested or those curious about the lack of news there.
I get that was all about Wowio, not The Duck, but it still pissed me off. The Duck was reformated to generate ad-based revenue for Wowio … all the promises about user code, ads, stats, etc were quite possibly given in good faith, but the cynical among us (which actually wasn't me at the time) said none of those would happen, and they have been proved correct.
I think you're in cloud cukcoo land if you think any of that public money will come the way of The Duck. This is it for the forseeable future. And I find that a little sad.
Ozoneocean at 8:31PM, Feb. 5, 2012
(online)
Gunwallace wrote:
I get that was all about Wowio, not The Duck, but it still pissed me off. The Duck was reformated to generate ad-based revenue for Wowio … all the promises about user code, ads, stats, etc were quite possibly given in good faith, but the cynical among us (which actually wasn't me at the time) said none of those would happen, and they have been proved correct.
I think you're in cloud cukcoo land if you think any of that public money will come the way of The Duck. This is it for the forseeable future. And I find that a little sad.

Gunwallace, that's all old rant fuel, I absolutely DID NOT want to have that all stirred up again.
We know why that stuff didn't happen: The Global Financial Crisis.
That made all their expected investors wary and funding deals fell through because of it. Development had to be stopped because they couldn't afford it then.

Those “cynical people” were dicks. They made a conspiracy out of the whole thing.
Now, please, can we please, please put a line under that stuff and move on or we'll get that moron Tim back again and I don't want to get into fights with people about that old stuff.
Yes, we all hate what happened etc, but that argument has been done and done and done.

“Public money” is what they expect for the parent company. THAT is the objective news I had to offer for those interested
If Wowio gets money again then development starts up here again when things are settled.
That is news to those interested at DD.
last edited on Feb. 5, 2012 8:40PM
Gunwallace at 10:10PM, Feb. 5, 2012
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Gunwallace wrote:

Gunwallace, that's all old rant fuel, I absolutely DID NOT want to have that all stirred up again.
We know why that stuff didn't happen: The Global Financial Crisis.
That made all their expected investors wary and funding deals fell through because of it. Development had to be stopped because they couldn't afford it then.

Those “cynical people” were dicks. They made a conspiracy out of the whole thing.
Now, please, can we please, please put a line under that stuff and move on or we'll get that moron Tim back again and I don't want to get into fights with people about that old stuff.
Yes, we all hate what happened etc, but that argument has been done and done and done.

“Public money” is what they expect for the parent company. THAT is the objective news I had to offer for those interested
If Wowio gets money again then development starts up here again when things are settled.
That is news to those interested at DD.
That would be great. And I would welcome it with joy in my heart. I apoligize if I said anything out of line, but it's been a long few (is it few or many now?) months. And all that talk of revenue streams and growth potential was enough to make me stick some wicks into bottles of vodka and look for my lighter.
Lonnehart at 11:54PM, Feb. 5, 2012
(online)
Finally went and did it. Reserved Mass Effect 3 at Gamestop. But at the same time I also reserved the Katy Perry Edition of the Showtime expansion pack for The Sims 3. And I don't seem to have ADD so it'll be tough to decide which game I want to spend my freetime on… well… if I'm not spending it on rerouting all my water pipes, that is…
bravo1102 at 12:12AM, Feb. 6, 2012
(offline)
And on Saturday morning I wrote this magnificent script. Worked nine hours straight and had 23 pages and was just about to wrap it up.

On Sunday morning with oneerrant click it was all erased. I was heartbroken. I felt like something had been cut out of me and tossed away.I won'tattempt to recreate it because I don't want to revisit it. It hurts too much. It wasn't meant to be.

So I'll write some really bad crap that no one will read like all my other current projects.

Then there was that strange dream about some big party that Ithrow and everyone shows up. Either that or the DD Soap is entering into my subconscious.
Gunwallace at 12:32AM, Feb. 6, 2012
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:
And on Saturday morning I wrote this magnificent script. Worked nine hours straight and had 23 pages and was just about to wrap it up.

On Sunday morning with oneerrant click it was all erased. I was heartbroken. I felt like something had been cut out of me and tossed away.I won'tattempt to recreate it because I don't want to revisit it. It hurts too much. It wasn't meant to be.

So I'll write some really bad crap that no one will read like all my other current projects.

Then there was that strange dream about some big party that Ithrow and everyone shows up. Either that or the DD Soap is entering into my subconscious.
Oh my.
That id something so heart-wrenching and horrible.
I hope not to have nightmare's like that when I go to sleep tonight.
Ozoneocean at 2:29AM, Feb. 6, 2012
(online)
Gunwallace wrote:I apoligize if I said anything out of line, but it's been a long few (is it few or many now?) months. And all that talk of revenue streams and growth potential was enough to make me stick some wicks into bottles of vodka and look for my lighter.

And I apologise too if I seemed a bit much.

More than anything I want this site to get back out of its rut again. At its route this is one of THE best webcomic hosts, it's just that we've had these fricken brakes slammed on us for soooooooo long, all the shittier models are overtaking us. -_-

——-

Bravo, I know this doesn't help you now, but in future maybe… What I tend to do is have two copies (at least), of any big important document that I'm working on, just in case. On two different hard drives. I work on all my art that way.
I pause maybe every couple of hours to save it on both.
With stuff like scripts you could save a copy in Google Docs. It's as easy as “ctrl+ A”, “ctrl+ C”, get into the Google Doc and “ctrl+ V”. Then maybe “ctrl+ S” just to make sure Google saves it.

It's an extra layer of screwing around but oh so well worth it!
Gunwallace at 11:09AM, Feb. 6, 2012
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
More than anything I want this site to get back out of its rut again.
Amen to that. The community is still strong. The soul of the Duck is still strong. The will of the Duck is still strong. But the body of the Duck is suffering from cirrhosis of the liver, despite recently swearing off the hootch. If only he had health insurance, or lived in one of those ‘communist’ countries with socialized medicine (like mine). Hmm, this analogy seems to have gone off the rails a little. Go Duck, go!
Niccea at 4:48PM, Feb. 6, 2012
(offline)
I have an interview with my city for an intership in the Human Resources department on Friday. Wish me luck.
Ozoneocean at 9:20PM, Feb. 6, 2012
(online)
Hmm, for once I'm glad I didn't turn down an onerous side job from a collogue!

I agreed to do what I thought was going to be a huge pain in the arse personal favour graphic design job, mainly because I'm just sitting around with nothing else to do today anyway… But this job would normally have taken AGES.

So instead of saying “too hard, F off”, or biting the bullet and just getting on with it, I had a bit of a think about shortcuts and then did a couple of Google searchs to find out if they were feasible… And HEY PRESTO, they were!
And because they are, they will make way less work for me in future on really hard jobs. ^_^

All because I agreed to do a favour. Hooray for helping people!
PIT_FACE at 7:45AM, Feb. 7, 2012
(online)
Gunwallace wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:

Oh my.
That id something so heart-wrenching and horrible.
I hope not to have nightmare's like that when I go to sleep tonight.
oh….ouch man.that really sucks! my heart goes out to ya. are ya gonna attempt a redo?
—-
also thnak you everyone for the congratulations on my new job! i officially start tomarrow (steel toed boots and all!) and good luck to Niccea too!im sure we all can agree, this job hunting thing can be an almighty BITCH at times.
and Lonne-yeah those animal shows can really make ya think sometimessome of these people are real credits to the human race /not sarcasm.

Lonnehart at 8:32AM, Feb. 7, 2012
(online)
Finally got what I wanted for a while… a brand new data hard drive. This new secondary hard drive has 500 GB of storage space. Pulled out whatever I could from my old 250 GB failing hard drive and wouldn't you know it… once I've pulled everything I've wanted from it and start deleting everything it fails completely…

Oh, well… I can now enjoy not running out of space for a while. :)

One of these days someone's gonna put out a show that's a sequel to an old 70's or 80's show called…

“The Six Quadrillion Dollar Man”

And then viewers will go to Congress and ask they why they were stupid enough to bankrupt the entire country just to create some superbiocybernetic soldier….
last edited on Feb. 7, 2012 11:22AM
Macattack at 5:26PM, Feb. 7, 2012
(offline)
Lonnehart wrote:

One of these days someone's gonna put out a show that's a sequel to an old 70's or 80's show called…

“The Six Quadrillion Dollar Man”

And then viewers will go to Congress and ask they why they were stupid enough to bankrupt the entire country just to create some superbiocybernetic soldier….
Actually I think if they made a sequel it would be more based on how every 3 months they'd have to scrap him and make a new cyborg as his technology became out of date :P
Funny all the business talk I saw on here as I'm just finishing up my business degree. Did everyone else have that feeling when you were finally out of school of “Now what on earth am I going to do now???” I'm definitely there now. I've noticed a major change with the internet age and the new generation and I'd really REALLY love to build some business that focused on helping others get started as opposed to making a profit…. however I'm pretty much at a loss as to how you would start such a thing :P first step's always the trickiest.
PS. Oz, I saw some pictures today of some pretty drastic flooding in Australia but I haven't heard anything about it in the news. Were they old pics or am I just missing something :P

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon