Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Quackcast 59 - Interesting Artistic techniques and different media used in comics. Contributions?
Ozoneocean at 7:00AM, Jan. 5, 2012
(online)
This week I've decided to look into Interesting Artistic Techniques and different media…
- well any interesting, clever, ways that people use to make their comic art.

I'm trying to get Jillyfoo as a guest because of her profile as a creator and also her interesting art style. (http://www.drunkduck.com/user/JillyFoo/)
But if anyone has something interesting a quick they wanna say about their art style or ask Jillyfoo about her's (she does the popular Demon Eater comic), that would be mucho, mucho, mucho helpful!
^_^

Also- any NEWS you want me to read out on the QC? I will do it! Just send it to me via PQ, via email (ozoneocean at gmail dot com), Twitter (@ozoneocean), or Google+ (http://gplus.to/Ozoneocean)
last edited on Jan. 5, 2012 7:31AM
bravo1102 at 11:30PM, Jan. 5, 2012
(offline)
Maybe I'll take a moment to come up with something about photography of action figures. Could be a way to pitch my comics and get readers.
Ozoneocean at 9:46AM, Jan. 6, 2012
(online)
That'd be great! Do a voice recording if you like- you don't have to write something ^_^
ayesinback at 12:14PM, Jan. 6, 2012
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
That'd be great! Do a voice recording if you like- you don't have to write something ^_^
YEAH!!! Read a few pages!! I can't wait to hear what the Nazi chicks sound like o_O
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
Scorpion451 at 12:41PM, Jan. 7, 2012
(online)
Well I don't know how unusual it is but I do all the lineart for the Greening Wars traditionally in ink, and the coloring digitally.

To me, there's several advantages to working in traditional ink-
the biggest being that it gives a very organic, textured, and lively look to the linework. Even the best textured brushes in photoshop don't quite match the look of real ink on real paper- the difference becomes obvious to me whenever I have to fix a mistake with one of them- they can mimic, but never match, the real thing. Trad. inking also seems to make the linework stage go much faster (for me at least)- having no “undo” or eraser makes you stop trying to get everything perfect and instead think about how and what your are doing. You'd be surprised at how much cleaner and tighter your work becomes, and how many fewer wasted marks you make, when you start to think before you draw a line!

I also avoid using traditional panels whenever possible- I started playing with the idea early on in The Greening Wars, and over time its become one of the signature parts of the comic's look. Panels are seperated by objects, characters, speech bubbles, things in the environment… but almost never a line that isn't a part of something in the images. In some cases I even let panels flow into one another, like a multiple exposure photograph. Objects from one panel can become a something else in another panel- like a table becoming part of a wall, or a tree. It creates some very interesting effects, sort of like an Escher drawing! It makes for some challenging layouts sometimes, but looks really cool!
Updates every Tuesday!

Visit my deviantArt page to see some of my artwork and what I'm up to when I'm playing the not-working-on-my-webcomic game
last edited on Jan. 7, 2012 12:43PM
Ozoneocean at 9:54AM, Jan. 8, 2012
(online)
Bravo disappeared down a rabbit hole…

Thanks for the contribution Scorpion! That's going in the Quackcast as soon as it's all done! ^_^
bravo1102 at 1:16AM, Jan. 9, 2012
(offline)
Sorry between following around that cute girl in the gingham dress and that crazy tea party I got held up.
rokulily at 4:58PM, Jan. 9, 2012
(online)
as far as interesting artists techniques goes i like to make up a new style everytime i do a new comic, it makes me feel like the story i'm telling is its own- as art often effects the storytelling process. not to say that every story i do is amazingly different styles, just changes and tweaks to what i feel the story needs
Ozoneocean at 12:02AM, Jan. 10, 2012
(online)
Thanks Roku!
The editing is running late so I'll include this, but that's the last one for number 59! :)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon