Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Can't decide how to START my comic! Help?
Degalon at 12:16AM, Jan. 18, 2012
(online)
Been wanting to make my comic for years, couple of years ago, I made the first two pages, but never got back to it due to being busy.
Now I have time, want to get it off the ground, but my main hurdle is deciding how to actually start.
I can't decide if I want to just start off with the origin of the hero/main character, or start off in the heat of things, and use the hero's origin as some big “reveal” later on.
The character changes appearance and identity after his origin, so it could work either way, but I dunno, I'm just really indecisive about this.  Getting started has always been the hardest part for me.
Any suggestions?  The first two pages already up are set to start off with the origin, but not sure which would be better.
KittenXaos at 4:38AM, Jan. 18, 2012
(online)
I’m fortunate to have a few friends who studied creative writing
at uni. I have one of them editing my (yet to be announced) comic.
I’d suggest showing/telling your story to someone you trust to
give you an honest (and if possible informed) response. Then continue to talk
to them about it as the story develops. Feedback's very important.
But if it really works either way, whatever you might lose
from making the ‘wrong choice’ about starting isn’t as much as you’ll lose by
postponing a decision.

Good luck <3
Genejoke at 4:48AM, Jan. 18, 2012
(online)
But if it really works either way, whatever you might lose from making the ‘wrong choice’ about starting isn’t as much as you’ll lose by postponing a decision. 
This. However unless the origin is something massively different I would start later and reveal it further down the line,
the_beav at 10:04AM, Jan. 18, 2012
(online)
Plot is just the graceful revealing of exposition. Just ask yourself whether you're revealing information because you want the readers to know or if you're revealing that information because it's contextual to what is currently happening in the action. Say your comic takes place in the year 2067 and there was a nuclear apocalypse and everybody has to wear lead suits to their boring office jobs. Are you going to start out your story with “IN THE YEAR 2066, AFTER THE THIRD NUCLEAR WAR…” Or are you going to reveal it through character interaction or visual cues?
A weak start is bad, but in my estimation it is finishing strong that matters.
ayesinback at 5:05PM, Jan. 19, 2012
(offline)
I guess the basic question is the hardest, but in your head, Who is your character Now?  Start writing about him as he exists for you now, and then develop or backfill as needed.

Maybe you should revisit some films that you really like in the same genre of your comic because plot development is pretty simple to analyze in a two-hour form.

If you find that you prefer one type of sequencing: say a “Meet Peter Parker – oh no: a spider bite!” versus “just who the Hell IS Keyser Söze” – it might be that one just feels more natural to you than the other, and you'd want to create from a place that seems “natural”.
under new management
alexhatzia at 10:59PM, April 3, 2012
(online)
Usually I like to think of an overall goal that the main character wants to achieve in the end, and take elements from that goal and wrap it around my main character. I usually draw action adventure comics, so their goals are usually becoming the best at something in a specific field, like becoming the greatest fisherman, swimmer, carpenter, etc. take elements from those professions; fishing poles, hardware tools, or w/e and tell how the character became involved with these items.
OR
Another thing I like to write about is teamwork. Stories get more interesting if the main character wants to gather a band of characters together in order to achieve a common goal. Take any sports comic and you have each individual character that has their own specialty. Take swimming for instance, you have your free-style swimmer who wants to assemble the best swim team EVER, so he goes and he finds his back stroke swimmers, divers, butterfly swimmers, and breast stroke swimmers along the way. It gives the story a bit more depth and adds to the storyline. Just using that as an example…
Use issues that you actually care about in real life and try to incorporate them in your comic, for instance; setting aside differences to overcome adversity, working together to create a better world, educating others of diversity and acceptance, etc. 
There are countless story tactics out there, just make sure you use things you really care about, this will make your comic more authentic and in return more enjoyable to work on.
Best of luck!

ATBL at 11:38AM, May 8, 2012
(online)
What if you did the origin as something of a prologue? Sure, it would technically be the start of the series, but it'd also be its own little self-contained arc in a way.

Starting off a new series, especially one of your genre, is tough! It really all comes down to how YOU feel about it. Showing the script to other for review is good, but just remember that it's your story and your storytelling. There are a lot of great writers out there whose work was turned down and criticized but they stuck to their guns and in the end everything worked perfectly and their stories couldn't have been told any other way.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved