Random Discussion

attention getters
ayesinback at 7:26AM, April 2, 2012
(online)
I've gotten to the point that I can ignore quite a bit.  Use to be that I actually Would look when there was a huge sign that just read:  SEX.  But either I'm sufficiently tired, or jaded, or whatever, that now even that doesn't work.

However, I recently noticed that the phrase “oddly enough” seems to grab my attention on a fairly regular basis.

What works with you?   
under new management
ozoneocean at 10:39AM, April 2, 2012
(online)
Stuff that ties in with my current interests I suppose…
But “sex” type titles on things (and all the related nomenculture) still grabs my interest :)

lba at 8:36PM, April 2, 2012
(online)
As I get older and older, I find my interests seem to get more indistinct. These days it takes something very pointed to catch my attention. For me it's less the content that will grab my focus than whether or not it's new to me or whether or not it benefits me in some way. ie; if I see an ad that's really innovative, or I see an image that relates very closely to something I've been absorbed in for a while, like the poster for the documentary Nercore Rising. It's not that interesting a poster, but I was seriously into Nerdcore and the genre was new to me when I saw it, so it took me about 3 minutes to look the movie up on Netflix.
bravo1102 at 2:50AM, April 4, 2012
(online)
FREE.  I'm cheap, so that catches my attention.  It doesn't hold it very long, but it is certain to catch it.
ayesinback at 5:31PM, April 5, 2012
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
FREE
hahaha - so true.  how did I not remember that one?  
And how did I forget my own thread when I needed to grab the attention of some people today?  *sigh*
under new management
ozoneocean at 9:48PM, April 6, 2012
(online)
FREE for me always auto-translates to “bullshit” :(

Hawk at 10:12AM, April 9, 2012
(online)
It's interesting that a phrase like “oddly enough” captures such attention for you.  For me, it's the phrase “failed miserably”.  By my guess, “miserably” follows the word “failed” 95% of the time.  I don't know why.  But now, I always look out for it.  And I've begun to hate it.  Isn't there some other way people can fail besides “miserably”?  I've actually congratulated people who used alternatives like “completely” or “catastrophically”.
Hawk at 10:17AM, April 9, 2012
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
FREE for me always auto-translates to “bullshit” :(
I'll admit, that's what I think too.  When I hear that something is “free”, my initially reaction is to think that it's either something I wouldn't dare pay for anyway, or there are so many hoops to jump through that it's not really free anymore, or it's something designed to make me pay more money in the future.

It's like those guys who will give you a free water quality test in your home.  They will inevitably try to convince you that you're drinking toilet water, no matter how clean your water is.  Then they'll expect you to buy their water filtration system.
bravo1102 at 10:36PM, April 9, 2012
(online)
Free=bullshit
That's how I feel about SALE. I know what the mark-ups usually are because i used to read invoices when I worked in retail.  So I know that most SALES! are complete bunk.  Like how furniture retailers are known to mark everything up before they mark it down to make the discounts look bigger than they really are.

Then there's the buy two and get one FREE.  That's the same as offering each for 33% off.  Buy two and get one 50% off? That's just the same as getting each 25% off or even less. The discount will always be taken on the lower priced one so you buy two items at different prices and you're mayb eonly getting a 15% discount which is nearly worthless.

But FREE just might offer something for nothing.  It happens rarely but it does happen.  Besides I like the word.  There's a happy freedom to it. Free-dom  Yang worship word, Yang worship.
Escutcheon at 9:05PM, April 13, 2012
(online)
I'm but a simple man.
Show me some Dinosaurs and Robots and I'll likely turn my head so fast I'll have to snap it back.
HippieVan at 12:54PM, May 5, 2012
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Free=bullshit
 That's how I feel about SALE. I know what the mark-ups usually are because i used to read invoices when I worked in retail.  So I know that most SALES! are complete bunk.  Like how furniture retailers are known to mark everything up before they mark it down to make the discounts look bigger than they really are.
Where I live, prices have to be set for a certain length of time before an item is put on sale. Some places still try to get around that, but it's something.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
Indigo Sharpe at 11:08AM, May 29, 2012
(online)

bravo1102 wrote:
FREE.  I'm cheap, so that catches my attention.  It doesn't hold it very long, but it is certain to catch it.

That's one but now when I hear it unless I'm out buying mp3s, snatching extras  for my shiny new peice of software etc… it just brings up feeling of wariness. Blasted marketing traps and the accursed viruses they conceal.  
Aside from that I think I'll forever have my eye's drawn to anything with the keywords
Final
Kingdom
Fantasy
Lovecraft
Requiem 
Asassin or
Heart my nerd senses just tingle and my wallet feels bad and I just know that I'm in for some fun. I even turn when I hear them in conversations. 
Lovecraft especially because for a horrible bigot I'll be darned if he didn't have the most sexy and iconic nerd name in the world. 
“Hello Ladies are all of y'all in the mood for some Lovecraft….”

You can bring a man to tears but you can't make him cry. 
http://www.drunkduck.com/You_Are_Here_and_Other_Cosmic_Jokes_/
last edited on May 29, 2012 11:10AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved