Drunk Duck Awards

Planning for 2012
Evil Emperor Nick at 10:33AM, May 15, 2012
(offline)
Niccea wrote:
The For Your Consideration pages are also added to the Awards Comic.
Well then I confess I missed that last year but am glad to hear you were one step ahead of me.  I wasn't aware of the award comics being up till after the nominations were in.

El Cid wrote:
Somebody could do like a little mini pre-awards show comic and post it on the DDA 2012 page leading up to the awards. Not sure about the logistics of that, or who would make the actual comic though.
That was rather what I was suggesting if anyone is up to the task (not being an artist myself alas I'm unable to act on my own idea as I might like).

El Cid at 10:52AM, May 15, 2012
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
…We all agree we can't define what a random or abstract comic is, hense using the term “undefined” as in a comic that does not fit any standard definitions which does include abstract and surreal comics…

That wasn't the issue, though. We already have a definition for Randm and Abstract; the problem is that the two categories are different enough that they need to be separated and, upon further analysis, it does not seem likely that there are enough titles to justify a Random category (or at least not enough titles that will not already fall under Humor, Stick, Philosophical, etc.). For that reason, Abstract was being lumped into an Abstract/Surrealist category, while it was proposed that Random be dumped as a category entirely.
bravo1102 at 11:05AM, May 15, 2012
(online)
What would be the content of the pre-award show comic that wouldn't be in the For Your Consideration comics? How have the awards been promoted the past two-three years and what more can be done that hasn't been done already? 

A comic to introduce the awards?  One to set up the catagories and review the voting and judging process?  How would it be different from how it has been done earlier?  What other content is required other than the introduction to the awards that has always been done?

An introduction to the introduction that is always done anyway?  Every year more and more promotion is done and yet there's always someone who manages to remain oblivious.  If someone manages to remain that oblivious to a community activity award show then maybe they don't deserve to be considered for an award.  Yes, that is a cruel and cynical thing to say but look at the Tony's, Oscars and Emmys.  If a program wants an award, they make certain they're on top of the whole awards process and then lobby for an award.  

Think of it this way, one have to enter to win.
bravo1102 at 11:17AM, May 15, 2012
(online)
El Cid wrote:

We already have a definition for Randm and Abstract; the problem is that the two categories are different enough that they need to be separated and, upon further analysis, it does not seem likely that there are enough titles to justify a Random category (or at least not enough titles that will not already fall under Humor, Stick, Philosophical, etc.). For that reason, Abstract was being lumped into an Abstract/Surrealist category, while it was proposed that Random be dumped as a category entirely. 
 If you already have the answer than why are we still debating it?  Keep it short and simple.  Honestly abstract includes random so having both random and abstract is redundant or at least that's how the genre was described to me at a show of abstract art.  So have the one category and be done with it.   
El Cid at 11:30AM, May 15, 2012
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
If you already have the answer than why are we still debating it?  Keep it short and simple.  Honestly abstract includes random so having both random and abstract is redundant or at least that's how the genre was described to me at a show of abstract art.  So have the one category and be done with it.    

If you're suggesting that Random needs to be put back in with Abstract, then we're not so much still debating as starting a completely new debate. What was discussed previously (and this was waaaay back on Page 1) was that Abstract and Random don't go well together. I was expressing this both conceptually and as someone who had the misfortune of having to judge that category last year. There was, that I recall, no dissent or debate on this point at the time. Afterward, it became evident that Random cannot survive on its own, so it made the most sense simply to drop it as an independent category and let those candidates just be absorbed into the general pool.
Evil Emperor Nick at 11:33AM, May 15, 2012
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:
What would be the content of the pre-award show comic that wouldn't be in the For Your Consideration comics? How have the awards been promoted the past two-three years and what more can be done that hasn't been done already? 

A comic to introduce the awards?  One to set up the catagories and review the voting and judging process?  How would it be different from how it has been done earlier?  What other content is required other than the introduction to the awards that has always been done?

An introduction to the introduction that is always done anyway?  Every year more and more promotion is done and yet there's always someone who manages to remain oblivious.  If someone manages to remain that oblivious to a community activity award show then maybe they don't deserve to be considered for an award.  Yes, that is a cruel and cynical thing to say but look at the Tony's, Oscars and Emmys.  If a program wants an award, they make certain they're on top of the whole awards process and then lobby for an award.  

Think of it this way, one have to enter to win.
Actually we've been promoting the awards in one form or other for far longer than that.  I don't disagree people should have to lobby etc. etc.  However due to the fact that we are a rather small community with people coming and going all the time however we do have some sort of obligation to make people newly aware each year.  DD at the moment sadly lacks a visible spokesperson or the like who can easily make people aware, we've lacked one since volt6 first left the site, if we did most of this would be happily unnecessary.  That not being the case though, some effort is typically necessary every year to make people in the community aware.  How much of course is a matter of opinion.
What would be in this comic, well no doubt depends on who does it, but I see it as sort of a introduction to new people whom are not familiar with the awards and outline/encourage things like making For your Consideration material and posting banner/links to the DD awards.  I don't see it as something aimed really aimed at long time members who already know how things go.

El Cid at 11:35AM, May 15, 2012
(online)
I reeeally like the idea of a pre-awards comic. Something to hype things up, maybe take a look back at last year, and even give a satirical glimpse of the behind-the-scenes goings-on with the award planners (Roy Duncan did some stuff like that for his Comics Awards 2011). I could picture it almost as something like what Genejoke does with his Lite Bites Review (of which there's a new installment coming up in a few days! Yippee!)

I'd volunteer to help out with the artwork, but with the voting coming up in a month and a half, I'm just going to be too busy trying to get my comic to a point where it's presentable!
Niccea at 11:42AM, May 15, 2012
(online)
I am not much of an artist either. I aleready havedates written out for the differentannoucements that I am going to send Skool about the awards. I was good at getting them in last year but I will try to be even better this year.
Genejoke at 1:05PM, May 15, 2012
(online)
If someone has some ieas I may be able to put some artwork together.
bravo1102 at 1:58PM, May 15, 2012
(online)

Then fold Random into the normal mix of categories and leave abstract/ surreal alone and let's move on to something else.  We're agreed there should be one category whatever it's named and however it's organized.  Random can be anything so let it be in with whatever it most resembles which is probably where most nominating votes would put it anyway.

As for doing the artwork, I have more time on my hands than anyone else probably does but someone else will have to write it. It'll give me another chance to do something else besides play with dolls unless it's okay for me to use the figures.

Niccea at 1:49PM, May 17, 2012
(online)
Where is Gunwallace when you need him? He loves writing things. I'll try to come up with something over the weekend.
Niccea at 12:56PM, May 18, 2012
(online)
Alright. I thought of something pretty general to say. I think for the purpose of the explanations it can be any character(s) or whatever is fit. If a background is deemed necessary I would recommend screen shots from past winner(s), the construction of the awards “stage” (chances for humor here), or possibly screen shots from previous Awards comics that emphasize what is being explained.

The tone of this comic would be for someone who is new to the site or one that has been living under a rock…

WARNING: This Script Has Been Written in Proposal Only and is Not Written in Stone…In Fact…I Don’t Think Anyone Writes in Stone Anymore. (The script can be modified to the artist(s) tastes. Just keep it PG/PG-13/No BOOBIES).

Narrator-person-thing-that-will-say-the-entire-thing-so-I-don't-know-why-I'm-bothering-labeling-the-character-and-putting-this-colon: Hello! (or other friendly greeting) Welcome to the 2012 Drunk Duck Awards. As you can see we are getting geared up to go another round. For those of you that have only come to the site in the past year. The name of the site changed from “Drunk Duck” to “The Duck Webcomics,” but we still call it the Drunk Duck Awards. (It makes our trophies amusing). This year will be our 6th annual awards program.

The Drunk Duck Awards honor comics around the site in hopes of building up readership and bringing our community closer together. This project is entirely run by the users of the website who do everything from making/counting the ballots to judging the nominees to creating pages that present the winners of the awards.

The process of the awards is really straight forward. When it is time to vote, you go to the ballot website and submit a ballot. When the voting is closed, volunteer judges will be assigned the top 5 nominees of each category on the ballot and pick the best one to represent the category. Meanwhile, presenters are hard at work making presentation pages that show the nominees for each award, but they won’t know who won the award until everyone else does.  Volunteers can sign up in June and July to judge and/or present. After the judging is complete and the presentations are turned in, the MC releases the awards into a comic announcing around 5 winners a day. Users can submit acceptance/concession speeches as well.

That sounds simple right? Well there is more to it than that. Before the ballots are released there are two major pre-awards event that will happen. If you have been ignoring me this entire time, you might want to pay attention here.

The first thing that you should really know about is our “For Your Consideration…” thread/section. This is an area for people to make suggestions regarding which comics should be nominated for what category. This can be in the form of a page (recommended) or just a simple list. Anybody can put up suggestions either for their comics or other author’s comics. Any suggestion that is made in an image format will be posted to the official comic for the awards as well. As soon as this thread is open, people can post in there until about a week before voting is closed (though it is recommend to post beforehand).

How can this possibly get even better you ask? With the 3rd annual “Design The Award Contest.” This is where you can have a say in what the award will look like when it is given out. These are the ones from last year. (Niccea Note: If you just want blank versions for the purpose of this, I still got them). You just need to go to the dedicated thread for this (it will be announced both on the site and on this comic) and post your image. When the submissions are closed, the award is chosen by popular vote. The top voted will become the winners’ trophy as well as the banner for the awards. The first runner up will become the trophy for the finalists that are nominated for the awards. This year submissions for the “Design the Award Contest” will be June 3rd through the 9th. And voting will be on the 10th and 11th. This will give plenty of time for people to get banners to plaster over their comics to remind their loyal readers to vote in July.

Well that is all there really is to say about this. Look forward to your help.

(End Script).
Any suggestions/takers? If it is way too much several people can divide it up. I’m willing to now. I got a good buffer on Ice Pick as it is.
Niccea at 1:06PM, May 18, 2012
(online)
I tried pruning it a little. Kinda hard since a lot the info is important.

SCRIPT MACH II

Hello! (or other friendly greeting) Welcome to the 2012 Drunk Duck Awards. As you can see we are getting geared up to go another round. The Drunk Duck Awards honor comics around the site and is entirely run by the users.

The process of the awards is really straight forward. When it is time to vote, you go to the ballot website and submit a ballot. When the voting is closed, volunteers will judge the top nominees while others make presentation pages.  Volunteers can sign up in June and July to judge and/or present. After the judging is complete and the presentations are turned in, the MC releases the awards into a comic.

We also have these pre-awards events:

The first thing that you should really know about is our “For Your Consideration…” thread/section. This is an area for people to make suggestions regarding which comics should be nominated for what category. This can be in the form of a page (recommended) or just a simple list. Anybody can put up suggestions either for their comics or other author’s comics.

Next is the 3rd annual “Design The Award Contest.” This is where you can have a say in what the award will look like when it is given out. T You just need to go to the dedicated thread for this (it will be announced both on the site and on this comic) and post your image. When the submissions are closed, the award is chosen by popular vote. This year submissions for the “Design the Award Contest” will be June 3rd through the 9th. And voting will be on the 10th and 11th.

Well that is all there really is to say about this. Look forward to your help.
Niccea at 8:28AM, May 24, 2012
(online)
I added a couple pages of tutorial comic.
Genejoke at 5:16AM, May 28, 2012
(online)
Okay I should be able to put something together over the next few days.
gullas at 5:38AM, June 9, 2012
(online)
I was wondering, shouldn't there be a volunteer thread up for judges and/or presenters, I mean it's already june…
Niccea at 7:49AM, June 9, 2012
(online)
I waas going to wait a couple more weeks on that. The comittment is not until August. Things will start picking up this month I promise. 
Niccea at 4:08PM, June 13, 2012
(online)
Alright. This is the last time I'm putting this up. The definitions can wait a bit for tweeking, but I want to make sure I got the categories right so we can start getting the For Your Consideration… thread running.

GENRE AWARDS 

**Best Abstract Comic: 
Needs Discription 

Best Adventure Comic:
Quests, missions, explorations, and/or other dangerous or exciting ventures. 

Best Adult-oriented Comic:
A-rated comics. XXX No one under 18 admitted! Live nudes! Or excessive violence. Or both!

Best All Ages Comic:
Child-friendly comics that the whole family can enjoy.

Best Anthropomorphic Comic:
They act like people and think like people, but they look like foxes or dolphins or toasters.
Best Autobiographical Comic:
Autobiographical comics that revolve around the struggles and triumphs of everyday life. Exagerations only make you look cooler.

Best Community Project:
Comics and projects that bring together a variety of DD members for
massive synergy! (DD Awards are not eligible, for giving ourselves an
award would create a paradox vortex from which there is no escape.)

Best Fantasy Comic:
Magical, mythical, mystical, marvelous. Comics set in fantastical
settings, involving magic or mythical creatures, abilities, or beings.

Best Horror Comic:
The dark, scary, and twisted. Monsters, psychological thrillers, and
 ax-wielding psychos all have their place among these wonderfully
horrific comics.

Best Humor Comic:
Gags, jokes, lols, roflmaos, and such. Format and subject matter aren't important. It just has to make you laugh.

Best Mystery/Crime/Noir:
Crime drama, police, mobsters, mysteries, hard-boiled detectives, and/or meddling kids. 

Best Parody/Tribute:
Comics that use the characters, worlds, or creations of other creators. It's not copyright infringement! It's an homage! 

Best Philosophical/Political Comic:
Make-you-think comics that address deep topics from the spiritual and philosophical to the cultural or political. 

Best Romance Comic:
Girl/boy, boy/boy, girl/girl, girl/girl/boy, man/alien, or whatever.
 It's all about LOVE! Love love love love love love love love. Maybe
some hate too, and some other things, but romantic relationship(s) take
center stage.

Best Sci-fi Comic:
A form of speculative fiction so named because the fantastical
elements are rooted in or explained by actual or fictional scientific
theory.

Best Superhero Comic:
Too super for other categories. 

~~~~~ 

STYLE AWARDS 

3D/Poser: 
Comics that make use of the THIRD DIMENSION (oo, ah) or appear to.

*Best Action Within A Comic  :
Chase scenes, fights, big explosions; CRASH POW ZOOM – you know the stuff

Best Manga Style Comic:
Comics inspired by the artistic style and conventions of Japanese cartooning.

Best Photo Comic:
Smile! You're on Comic Camera!

Best Pixel/Sprite/Stock Image Comic:
These comics take existing (or created) sprites/images and assemble them in different ways to create new strips/pages.

Best Stick Figure or Simplified Art Comic:
o.o  ^_^

Most Deliciously Offensive:
These f&%#@ comics might p^@(# you the f*^^@* off.

~~~~~

TECHNICAL AWARDS

Best Background Art:
The background, setting, environment, and surroundings. Including architecture, scenery, furniture, vehicles, etc.

Best Character Design:
The artistic design of the characters. This includes anatomy, facial
 expressions, and clothing (but not speech, mannerisms, or
personality/actions).

Best Comic Layouts:
The components of visual storytelling that harmonize the artwork
into a page and direct flow and pacing. Includes panel shape and
position, placement of speech balloons, lettering, and general
readability.

Best Dialogue:
It's all about what they say and how they say it.

Best Plot Development:
The overall story composition and pacing, and the use of storytelling elements.

**Best Use of Medium: 
Whether the comic is in black and white or full color, the author does a good job at using it.

Most Improved Art:
The comic that shows the most artistic improvement between July 2011 and now.

~~~~~

CHARACTER AWARDS

*Best Protagonist:
Contrary to popular belief, the protagonist is the main character of the story whether they are good or evil.

*Best Antagonist:
Opposes the protagonist. Doesn't necesarily have to be evil
incarnate, it could be Superman in a comic about Lex Luthor for example.

Best Supporting Character:
A noteworthy secondary character; can be good, bad, or other.

~~~~~

USER AWARDS

**Outstanding Achievement Within the Community:
The
user that will win this award is always there to particpate in the
community no matter what. These people show their support for the site
within the forums and by participating in community projects.

Most Dedicated Creator:
That creator who seems to be a page-making machine, every day on
time – or maybe the one who has been at it forever and has a thousand
pages of the most amazing quality – or the one who is updating five
different regular comics on a schedule. Whatever they are doing, they
sure are DEDICATED.

Most Supportive Reader:
Maybe they leave the most comments or the most insightful ones, or
they draw wonderful fanart, or they are always available to discuss your

script ideas or send you cards when you're on hiatus.

~~~~~

THE BIG ONES

Best Completed Comic:
Comics that were concluded sometime between July 2011 and now. (Indefinite hiatus doesn't count.)

Best Overall Comic Strip:
Best webcomic with stand-alone updates or short, unrelated story arcs, usually in a horizontal or vertical strip format.

Best Overall Story Comic:
Best webcomic that tells a continuous story, usually in full page format.

~~~~~

**Create Your Own Award
Didn't see the proper award for the comic/person you were thinking of on this list? Make one up. Create your own award and give it a winner. Best awards will be chosen by a dedicated team of judges.
last edited on June 16, 2012 12:50PM
usedbooks at 4:31AM, June 15, 2012
(offline)
I'm not sure this was brought up, but there were several requests last year from judges and from creators to make “autobiographical” its own category– since the diary-type strips dominate the category anyway and are hard to judge against the “slice-of-life.” And to make a separate “drama” category.

Kinda late in the planning to bring that up. Heh, but I figured it was worth a mention in case the people who brought it up in the judging forums weren't here to put in that suggestion.

Other than that, it looks great! I look forward to the awards. Let me know if you need a second pair of eyes for ballot count proofreading or a judges forum moderator. I still have the forum permissions.
Niccea at 7:56AM, June 15, 2012
(online)
usedbooks wrote:
I'm not sure this was brought up, but there were several requests last year from judges and from creators to make “autobiographical” its own category– since the diary-type strips dominate the category anyway and are hard to judge against the “slice-of-life.” And to make a separate “drama” category.

Kinda late in the planning to bring that up. Heh, but I figured it was worth a mention in case the people who brought it up in the judging forums weren't here to put in that suggestion.

Other than that, it looks great! I look forward to the awards. Let me know if you need a second pair of eyes for ballot count proofreading or a judges forum moderator. I still have the forum permissions.
I can always use a second pair of eyes from those that don't need theirs.

Yeah the autobio/sliceoflife thing…I just remembered that issue last night. It technically is not that late to do it. But I've been trying to slim down the categories this time around because of how hard the past year has been on the site. It was pulling teeth to get everything done.

It is not all that too late. I can still change up the ballot and split the category. But the change needs to be finialized soon so people know what to campaign for.
usedbooks at 9:20AM, June 15, 2012
(offline)
Yeah, it was a judging issue for the past couple years. The only non-autobiographical finalist has been Simply Sarah, which is very hard to compare against primarily one-shot “a day in the life” comic strips. Like the “western” category, I don't think DD has enough SoL to warrent its own category, but combining with autobio has proven to be a judging difficulty.

So I would say to remove the slice-of-life part of the category and let the auto-bio comics have it to themselves.

We probably don't need a separate drama category, imo, for the sake of simplicity. Besides, it might be TOO general and not well defined. Plus most dramas fit specifically under other genres (political, sci-fi, romance, mystery, etc.) and would not compare easily on the whole.

(Yeah, I'm not sold on a Drama category, but I brought it up because it was mentioned to me by a few people.)
Niccea at 7:28AM, June 16, 2012
(online)
I will fix it when I get home from school today.
El Cid at 7:27AM, June 24, 2012
(online)
Do you have a link to the voting page? Due to a potential hurricane coming through where I live, I'd prefer to go ahead and pre-post my “Get Out And Vote” page in advance, while I know we still have electricity and internet connection. Last time we got hit, the power didn't get turned back on in my area for over two weeks (17 days).
last edited on June 24, 2012 7:29AM
Niccea at 7:55AM, June 24, 2012
(online)
I hope the link works. I remember there being some trouble with it last year. I can't remembered what magic trick had to be done to make it work. The form isn't open, but here is the link.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEF1WkJXUmM3YU1qeEJDUk9oUUdubEE6MQ
El Cid at 10:02AM, June 24, 2012
(online)
It says it's no longer accepting responses.

So… I guess I'm already too late? ;]
Niccea at 6:41PM, June 24, 2012
(online)
Yes, Cid. That potential hurricane you mentioned, it already happened. You were in a coma and lost a month.
El Cid at 8:12AM, June 25, 2012
(online)
Well, that's a relief!

(Actually, the current models have the storm missing us, so we're not likely to take a “direct hit.” I'm not too worried about it anymore)
Niccea at 11:34AM, June 27, 2012
(online)
Alright, I made another banner for the awards if you found my old one too simplistic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/Niccea/Drunk%20Duck%20Awards%202012/banner2.jpg 

And here is the other one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/Niccea/Drunk%20Duck%20Awards%202012/awards2.jpg
last edited on June 27, 2012 11:44AM
Niccea at 9:48AM, July 2, 2012
(online)
Alright. There is one last thing to plan for. The “Create Your Own Award” Award. How should a winner be determined? There are two options. Have judges look over the list and select their favorites and make maybe 5 of them the winning awards. Or get all the submissions into a poll and have everyone come out to vote again…

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved