Comic Talk and General Discussion *

YOooooooooo drink some beers with meh!!
NickBenCorps at 12:15AM, April 30, 2012
(online)
Im here drinkin with me, myself, and I…. drop ur bullshit here!
PIT_FACE at 3:46PM, April 30, 2012
(online)
for public record, the topic poster AINT me.

Ozoneocean at 8:22PM, April 30, 2012
(online)
Oh we ALLLLllll know it's your alt pit ;)
I'm drinking coffee. Trying to stay awake.
Anubis at 4:54AM, May 1, 2012
(offline)
Must drink coffeeee
rokulily at 7:15AM, May 1, 2012
(online)
i have probably drunken more tea then an average person should but i like the calming effect and is so good. so good

…-sip-
bravo1102 at 11:36AM, May 1, 2012
(offline)
Every time I sit down to view Drunk Duck I usually have a cup of tea next to me.
Ozoneocean at 12:05AM, May 2, 2012
(online)
Tea used to be my beverage dujour, but coffee gradually superseded it over time. I still have tea with my toast in the mornings and a nice hot cup of tea after dinner at night though, but it's generally coffee, coffee, coffee all through the rest of the day.

And when I can be bothered to buy a bottle or a cask: a couple of glasses of wine when I'm drawing- REALLY helps break the floodgates in the creative abilities.
-Obviously stimulants or depressants can not make you creative, such ideas are the ravings of idiots, BUT if your higher intellect or some stupid worry or block is stuffing up the flow and getting in the way, a little “something” is often useful to help you break through, or dumb you down enough so that you can just draw.
last edited on May 2, 2012 12:08AM
bravo1102 at 1:01AM, May 2, 2012
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:

And when I can be bothered to buy a bottle or a cask: a couple of glasses of wine when I'm drawing- REALLY helps break the floodgates in the creative abilities.
-Obviously stimulants or depressants can not make you creative, such ideas are the ravings of idiots, BUT if your higher intellect or some stupid worry or block is stuffing up the flow and getting in the way, a little “something” is often useful to help you break through, or dumb you down enough so that you can just draw.
Better not say that around recovering alcoholics or the children of alcoholics. They'll string you up and you'll have a screaming match about drinking and needing and how feeling that you need something to do anything is dependence and you're an alcoholic and etc, and so on. My wife is the daughter of an abusive alcoholic so I hear it every time. My brother-in-law is a chronic substance abuser and I know more recovering alcoholics where I work and a dozen more who just want one to feel loose so they can think and to loosen the flow.

Being the stupid shit who has to call the cab or help them stumble to the elevator or even calling the first aid when finding them semi-conscious in the parking lot kind of puts any thought of taking a drink to relax out of my head. It's too damn easy to take the next one to feel numb and then the next to not feel anything and then the rest not feel the feeling coming back. It'd be really easy for me to become a drinker and once started it'd be really hard for me to ever stop.

I've been listening to a medical radio show the doctor quoted some recent studies indicate you can get the same effect with vitamin B or D. Just for the sheer joy of it I'm going to take the vitamins. Vitamins are cheaper than drinkable alcohol anyway.
Product Placement at 4:47AM, May 2, 2012
(online)
Right now I'm picturing poor NickBenCorps barging into the Duck bar, thinking it's still the “Drunk” Duck bar with a beer in his hand, only to find out that it's full of people sipping on different brands of tea and coffee, discussing the nutrition values of various beverages.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
Niccea at 8:49AM, May 2, 2012
(offline)
My husband bought me a bottle of mead wine the other day to celebrate my first semester of business school. He was originally going to buy it only after I got straight As for the semester. But he gave me a break and got it on my last day of school…Now I'm just praying that I really deserve that mead.
ayesinback at 10:05AM, May 2, 2012
(online)
@Niccea - I am SO curious about mead wine!
I've been swallowed whole by the Game of Thrones books (on book 3 now, what a nasty Frey that Walder is) and everybody is always swilling down that mead, unless they're drinking milk of poppies (which sounds to heady for my liking).

Me? I attempt to drink a lot of water, almost always with a bit of lemon juice added. But I do like very cold beer on hot summer days, especially with pizza.
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
Niccea at 2:48PM, May 2, 2012
(offline)
There is a winery near me that makes it on site. I sampled some during a wine tasting. That is the only way I found this one.
Ozoneocean at 9:25PM, May 2, 2012
(online)
@Bravo -
no worries about that with ME man. ;)
I drink very seldomly and become quite severely ill if I ingest too much in any case, so there's quite a massive Pavlov's Dog type influence working against the chronic alcoholic notion.

-I don't just mean the occasional hangover “oh that was a rough night, I'll never, ever do that again…”

No, I'm talking hospital grade migraine almost stomach pumping level issues from relatively minor levels. SO it's pretty much a 3 drink max for me of wine and most drinks. 4 and I'm REALLY pushing it to a dangerous extreme.
Most I can afford to get is tipsy. becoming paralytic means I risk a fate akin to death so I avoid that at all costs.

@Ayes and Niccea -
I love mead. It's sweet, but NOT cloyingly so like sherry or any of those revolting desert liquiors, fruit brandys or the flavoured sweet crap drinks. It's just nice and spicy (in the true sense, not a euphemism for hot or peppery). Good mead is something worth trying.

On the notion of horrible drinks, the worst by far I have ever tasted was Jagermister. So painfully sweet, cloying, disgusting.
bravo1102 at 2:00AM, May 3, 2012
(offline)
Not crazy about mead probably because I like my sweet tastes with fruity flavors. Then there's that drinking really bad home-made mead can turn you off of ever drinking it again. Imagine drinking Kayo corn syrup mixed with sugar and a dash of spice.

It's like drinking classic Confederate ersatz coffee made from peanuts in the American Civil War or the seemingly random leaf concoctions called Liberty Tea by the Patriots in the American Revolution. Nice historical footnotes but please spare me having any more than a taste. But hard cider? Gods I love that stuff.
FormerDDer at 12:37AM, May 5, 2012
(offline)
I was never the drinking type. I'm pretty sure that in my entire lifetime, I've had aboutfive sips of beer and maybe two shots. It just never appealed to me; why would I spend so much money to get dizzy, when I know how to have fun without it? I still go to bars and stuff with friends, but I order ginger ale (hey, if wasn't for the ice, it'd kinda look like beer..!).
So, NickBenCorps, I'll sit down toa Canada Dry with you. Cheers!
Niccea at 5:33AM, May 5, 2012
(offline)
It is really all about your attitude. My husband I dont drink to the excess. We drink because we enjoy the taste of what we are drinking. If I could find a nonalchoholic verson of my favorite drinks that still tastes the same, I would drink those just as easily.
Ozoneocean at 6:16AM, May 5, 2012
(online)
On the side for the affirmative (or whatever it's called), I'll say that drinking is pretty great when it comes to some things.
Two of the best:
Dull art shows/gallery openings, and boring parties with people you don't really gel with.
Alcohol didn't get a reputation as a “social lubricant” for nothing!

Why else do you think they supply free wine at gallery openings? They know very well that they become more bearable after a couple of glasses ;)

You know what you do if you turn up at a gallery opening that doesn't have free drinks?
-You leave ^_^
Very drunk people at these events however are just as boorish and crap as they are anywhere else. So DO NOT drink to excess because we will all hate you.

I learned that hard way though that my 3 drink maximum applies to beer as well, at a dull Christmas party for work. Great big glasses of Kilkenny Ale and Guinness, about 6 of them, left me quite unfit for anything the next day.

I've never really liked the taste of beer anyway. It's soapy and alkaline. You can get used to it and it goes well with some fatty greasy foods, but mostly in company I drink for the “buzz” and 2 or three drinks of wine will do that, you need more if you're just drinking beer and the worst thing in the world is to have a belly full of beer.
lba at 11:43AM, May 5, 2012
(online)
Actually, so far as the “couple glasses to loosen up and become more creative” thing goes, it actually has been scientifically found to be true. People who have a few drinks ( no more than three in a 4-5 hour period. ) will produce more creative solutions to problems. It's basically because it lowers your ihibitions without getting you to the point where you're useless. But they also note that doing it regularly will result in the loss of the effect. I'll have to dig up the article on it I found. It's pretty interesting reading.

I was actually introduced to that study while sitting at a pub. I'll be the first to admit I can drink quite a bit when given reason to do so. I live in the US's premier alcohol town with more production per square mile than anywhere in the world. Business here generally means sitting down for lunch or dinner and having a few pints with a corned beef sandwich. You get used to it because it's pretty normal to have a beer or two every other day. Heck my last employer had the word “Brew” right in their name and specialized in making t-shirts about beer drinking.

I've never had good mead either. It's always bitter and sour to me. Like a mix of rotten eggs, milk, sugar and lemon juice. Granted, I've only ever had it when it was home-made, but it's just been ruined for me.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon