Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Text bubble help, info needed!
KuDkrazy at 3:35AM, April 30, 2012
(online)
Hey guy's, im new to this web comic thing but i'v got a good grasp on most of it, just wondering if theres a certian program i need for adding text bubbles/boxes WITH text after my group and i are done drawing and scanning our pages.
Or is it just better to draw the bubble then use a program to add text?
What would yall recomend?
Any help would great and thank you!
:)
El Cid at 5:54AM, April 30, 2012
(online)
I'd recommend adding the text bubbles afterward; you'll get the most flexibility that way. Personally, I use Adobe Illustrator to create them, but you can make them in Photoshop or GIMP just as easily. Plenty of tutorials out there on how to make 'em with any of those.
Reashi at 10:52AM, April 30, 2012
(online)
Also don't forget, multiple layers are your friend :)
Escutcheon at 11:18AM, May 1, 2012
(online)
I recommend using a program to put in your text- handwritten text tends to not translate as well as we'd like. :< It helps to use a program for the bubbles too- just do your text first, then your bubbles.
-
For bubbles, I don't know which art program you currently use, but this trick works in both GIMP and Photoshop, from what I recall-
Step 1) Make a new layer. This layer should be above your art, but below your text.
Step 2) Use a template- click to drag rectangles and ovals are your best bet- and make one however big you need.
Step 3) While the area is selected, go to a paint bucket and fill this part in.
Step 4) Deselect the area.
Step 5) Take a brush and get that last little pointer part on the same layer in the direction you need it.
Hope this helps!
last edited on May 1, 2012 11:20AM
ATBL at 11:12AM, May 3, 2012
(online)
It really all depends on what style YOU want to use. Both have the benifits and draw back. I, personally, love the way hand lettered comics look vs digitally lettered comics. There's just a certain sense of originality and personalization to doing letter and balloons by hand. However, doing them digitally can be much cleaner, and easier for most. I used to hand letter my comics, but I have terrible hand writing so I eventually made the shift to doing it digitally. You could also create your own font through a font creator website, which there are many.

Genejoke at 12:55AM, May 9, 2012
(online)
I think you summed up why most people do it digitally, peoples hand writing often sucks.
ATBL at 11:21AM, May 11, 2012
(online)
Genejoke wrote:I think you summed up why most people do it digitally, peoples hand writing often sucks.

Are you saying my handwriting sucks? Sucks, seriously? Geez, I wouldn't have said THAT. For my own hand lettering, I would have used a word more like…atrocious. lol

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved