Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Illustrator Looking for MANGA WRITER
ATBL at 6:30PM, May 3, 2012
(online)
Hello all, my name is Michael Yakutis and I'm an established illustrator looking for a well established manga writer to collaborate with on a manga styled webcomic. If this intrigues you, please read on.

A little about myself. I'm a published illustrator and writer whose work can be seen in comic books, children's books, film storyboards and stills, and most importantly, webcomics. My biggest webcomic at this time is http://www.andtobeloved.com, but you can see my general portfolio at http://www.aurynpublishing.com. I typically draw in a more traditional, non-manga style, but I am a big fan of manga and anime (Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Fruits Basket, Paradise Kiss, Perfect Blue, Blood the Last Vampire, Trigun, Ninja Scroll, Host Club, first season DBZ etc). My current collaborator and I are in the process of putting together a multitude of additional webcomics that we intend to launch on July 4th through andtobeloved.com. Prior to that, we will be revamping the site followed by a major marketing campaign. In total, we plan to have at least ten different webcomics on the internet at that time. This is where you come in…

I am looking for a well established manga writer to collaborate with and create an ongoing webcomic. I can't go into details about the comic just yet, but I can guarantee that whoever I work with will have a great amount of creative freedom in developing the characters and the series. I have a premise that I'd like the story to adhere to, and I will be able to contribute to the storytelling process as needed, but the bulk of the writing and storytelling would be in your hands. The initial theme of the strips will be humorous and/or adventurous, but I am open to any ideas you may have as the series progresses. I'd like the story to heavily reflect manga stereotypes as we start out, but as we move along the tone of the comic can go in pretty much any direction. We can shift into action, horror, sci-fi, drama, romance, hentai, yaoi, etc. You will have a great deal of freedom to develop the series as you like, but I may have a few story arcs along the way that I'd like played out.

I have to get one important point out of the way before I continue on: THERE IS NO PAY UP FRONT. This is because I am not looking to “hire” someone to write a comic for me. Instead I am looking for someone who will be a partner in the project. You will have just as much control over the project and its evolution as I do. We shale split the revenue based on a percentage that we will both agree to prior to working together. I'm sorry I cannot offer any funds up front. As a freelance illustrator, I know how frustrating it can be. But there is the very real opportunity here to produce a successful webcomic that brings in a profit and have fun doing while doing it. It's also a great chance for you to tell virtually any story you'd like and get someone to draw it for free.

What I am specifically looking for is someone who already has (or has had) a well established MANGA/ANIME style comic and has an established fan base that they can introduce to our new series. At the same time, I will be able to bring my fans over from the various webcomics I produce. I want to work with someone who is creative, good at collaborating, know how to write a proper comic format script, and can stick to set deadlines. I need someone who is extremely knowledgeable about classic and current anima/manga culture. I need someone who is also willing to do their fair share of promoting. I will advertise the comic through my comics and portfolios, and I will need my collaborator to do the same. Each strip/page does not need to be very long - I'm thinking around 3 or 4 panels per strip, give or take depending on how we decide to produce them. So to reiterate - you will write the story (sometimes based on ideas I may have) and I will produce the illustrations and manage the site. Together we will promote. I do not expect you to invest any funds promoting unless you wish to do. I just ask that you help promote though your own sites and through social networking.

I will explain everything in more detail to possible candidates. This comic will need at least 8 strips/pages produced no later than July 4th, 2012, so I'm hoping to find a partner by May 4th. After we launch the series in July, I’d like us to produce no less than two strips/pages per week for updating. I am a huge stickler when it comes to meeting and maintaining deadlines, so if you don't think you will be able to help produce this number of strips per week, than this may not be the right project for you.

If you are interested in obtaining more information about this project, send me a PM and PLEASE answer ALL of the following questions in your response:

1. Do you have a current ongoing comic series?
2. On average, how many site hits does your series generate each day or week?
3. How long have you been producing comics/webcomics?
4. What are a few of your favorite manga/anime series and/or films? And do you have any traditional style comics that you particularly like (non-manga/anime)?
5. Will you be able to help produce at least 8 strips no later than July 4th, and be able to help produce no less than 2 strips per week after that date?
6. Are you able to help with promoting?
7. Please link me to any webcomics you would like me to see and/or any writing samples you have (comic scripts are preferred, but send whatever you'd like).
8. Feel free to share any other information you feel may be important. And please remember that there is no pay up front for this project.

I'd like this to be a fun project for everyone involved and I have a lot of confidence that it will pay off financially. This is a great chance for a manga writer to have a lot of freedom in a project, have it drawn for free, and increase their fan base. Thank you to anyone who has taken the time to read through this, and special thanks to anyone who replies. I will be getting back to all applicants in time, but I hope to make my final decision by May 9th.

Thanks again!! And sorry about the long long post…

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved