Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

How many comics should you post before you give up?
Ice 9 at 12:10PM, Oct. 26, 2012
(online)
How many comics should you post before you give up? I’m up
around 140 and so far as I can tell not a soul is reading my comics.
JillyFoo at 10:57AM, Oct. 27, 2012
(offline)
It's not so much “pages” but how far do you want to get into the story before you believe people can get into it.
Have you made it to a specific plot point where you think you made it to the “hook” (meaning the part that grabs the reader, the cliffhanger that makes people want to see the ending) of the intro?
But anyway you should not do this for readers… do it for yourself. If you are not  the #1 fan of your own comic why waste your time making something you are not into? If you are not captivated by your own work why would others be?
last edited on Oct. 27, 2012 10:58AM
Ice 9 at 11:20AM, Oct. 27, 2012
(online)
I write a strip, not a story, an yeah I like my own work but
no one reads it on the Duck. I have another site that is seeing around ten
folks a day and that’s fin for me but I’m more talking about here on the duck.
MrHades at 6:04AM, Oct. 31, 2012
(online)
It is disconserting not knowing if your comic is being read on here or not… I mean, there's no way of knowing unless people leave a comment.

Hey, why not follow me on Twitter? User name: @THE_MrHades
El Cid at 7:07AM, Nov. 1, 2012
(online)
I think my comic was well past 75 pages before I really started getting a decent number of regular followers, and even then it's been up and down. You really can't base whether you want to post or not on whether you're going to get feedback. The vast majority of comics here get little to none of it. Post because it makes you happy to, and because you have a passion for doing comics.

However, there is a thread here somewhere about ways to get more people reading and commenting on your comic. You might check that out. Just my little nugget of advice: Be more active around the community; leave more comments on other people's comics and they'll likely follow you back over to yours. If they like the comic, maybe they'll stick around and read it, and maybe leave some feedback. Be more active in the forums, and put a banner up in you sig that people can click on.
mattboy115 at 10:00AM, Nov. 7, 2012
(online)
My problem is I left the site for a while when life got a little hectic. But now I'm back to making comics and it turns out all my friends have taken off or died or something. Nobody who used to read my comics are reading them anymore. The last time I really did anything with the site was before the revamp so you know it was a long time. Everyone just assumed I was dead.
-
However getting fans back, it turns out, is a lot harder than getting them in the first place. I had some really consistant followers and now they just don't come to the site anymore. I don't think ANYONE is on the site anymore because I don't see anyone new coming to check out my comics, getting interested and staying a while. It sucks.
El Cid at 10:55AM, Nov. 7, 2012
(online)
It was probably easier to get readers the first time around because the site was more active in general back then. We're all fishing from a shallower pool these days.
AshenSkye at 2:45PM, Nov. 15, 2012
(online)
You probably do have a few readers here since your comics have a couple of likes. If the stat page worked or we were still allowed to put in our own statcounters, you'd probably find you had a nice handful.

I say keep at it. They may start commenting someday.
Cogito eggo sum. I think, therefore, I am a waffle!
Ice 9 at 1:22PM, Dec. 10, 2012
(online)
MrHades wrote:
It is disconserting not knowing if your comic is being read on here or not… I mean, there's no way of knowing unless people leave a comment.
At least at one time you could put up a Project Wonderful ad
and that has a counter and such but the ads are a pain if you don’t get enough
hits.
ATBL at 5:36PM, Dec. 13, 2012
(online)
My writing partner and I have been doing And To Be Loved for close to 2 years now and have about 200 pages of content. The page views are still very up and down. Some days we do practically no promoting and get tons of hits, and other days when we promoto like crazy we get very few. Sometimes it just makes no sense! But producing a “successul” webcomic means a lot more than just producing a quality comic. There are countless comics out there who excell in storytelling and art yet are very unknown, while many of the popular ones are horribly drawn and written (sometimes the bad quality is intentional and part of the storytelling aspect, but not usually). IMO, anyways. 
Anyways, back to what I was starting to say - when my partner and I first started ATBL, we saw on the analytics that we were only getting a very small handful of site hits each day. Like, 12 if we were lucky. It was very discrouaging. But later on we used the power of our brains and looked at the PAGE VIEWS which of course were much higher. Some people were reading through the entire series, which was wonderful to know. And many of the readers were returning readers, which is equally great. This is still a common occurance, but we still don't get a ton of comments. Comments are nice, but can be hard to get unless you make your blog very interactive. And even then…
We took about 6 months off from promoting in order to redesign the site and start some new comics, so now that things are back up and running we have to get going with promoting again. Which can be a full time job in and of itself. 
Bottom line - as long as YOU are happy with your work and you enjoy doing, keep at it. Start doing more promoting in as many ways as you can and your hits will likely go up. Unfortunately there are no garuntees in this industry, and you have to be willing to take risks, but it may just be worth it. 
Sorry…my thought process was kinda all over the place there, wasn't it?…

OrchardHeroes at 1:14PM, March 1, 2013
(online)
Personally, I say keep at it. If its what you enjoy and love to do, just keep going. Try not to get bogged down with how popular or how many readers. I try to create my work for myself. I create and draw what I like to see. It all comes down to whether you love what you do. If you start feeling burnt out, take a short break. Let your brain rest awhile, get inspired, then come back to it when the time is right. If there are no readers…then you don't need to worry about disappointing anyone rite? 
itsjustaar at 9:35PM, March 13, 2013
(online)
Give up in terms of… retiring a series? Drawing in general?
Only if you feel it's time to move forward, or try something else, or if a satisfying conclusion's been reached. The thing with my series ‘Keeping Up with Thursday’ is that I decided to go along with the idea of flashbacks. My defense to that is that I felt it was necessary– to build the world more, to make it more unique and from it's inspirations. I spent a great deal of comic issues focusing on one character, and briefly reflecting on another to give the audience a break.
Certainly on any given time I could've stopped anywhere there, as I do four main 25 page sets a year, and wanting to do other things but stuck in a certain position can be a very detrimental situation. It can be stressing knowing that some can be picky, or impatient, and don't want to be locked into a storyline for so long, especially if it has to take a good long while. However, in my opinion it was well worth it. If anything else, a learning experience and a chance to learn and grow.
All in all, I don't believe in giving up. If your heart's still in it like mine still is, keep going. Keep the dream alive, only you can stop yourself.
“Keeping Up with Thursday” - Updated Every 3 Days!
“ZombieToons Must Die” - hiatus. D:
Neilsama at 2:54PM, April 20, 2013
(online)
Everyone evolves at their own pace, and nobody can arbitrate for you when it's right for you to quit.  Only you can do that.  If you still enjoy doing it, then keep doing it.
Only when the comic conflicts with your personal life should you consider quitting.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved