Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Comedy vs drama: Who's getting the last laugh?
JillyFoo at 10:51AM, Oct. 27, 2012
Does a webcomic have to be funny to succeed, ie not necessarily a joke-a-day, but at the very least comedic in tone? Do serious drama webcomics have a disadvantage in gaining audience share?
El Cid at 7:11AM, Nov. 1, 2012
I think so. I mean, yeah there is an audience for dead serious comics, and a lot of the most acclaimed comics that come to mind for me were pretty humorless, but as far as broad appeal goes I think for the most part its' easier to coax people into reading something that's lighthearted as opposed to something heavy that they'll have to put some work into clawing a deeper meaning out of. Even some of the more grim comics I've read seem to inject a good amount of humor and tongue-in-cheek to make themselves more palatable. Just my opinion though.
Genejoke at 3:51PM, Nov. 28, 2012
So that's where I go wrong, no humour.
Kota at 8:20PM, Dec. 2, 2012
I think there's a strong difference between comedy and levity. One is going for a laugh, the other is releaving tension. I feel that levity is the more important of the two. It just happens often that levity takes the form of humor. One of the things I hate is when everything in a series is dramatic all the time. People fart, man. It happens. may as well show it every now and again and releave the stress.
Kota Otan
“If Jeff Bridges is stupid enough to do this, I'M stupid enough to do this!”
ozoneocean at 5:09AM, Dec. 4, 2012
Comedies do better because they're easier to get into. So yes.
ATBL at 5:42PM, Dec. 13, 2012
I feel that comedies are easier to market, but harder to maintain if you start having writers block.  Kota made an excellent point about levity vs comedy. A comedy comic that isn't funny just isn't worth reading. But a comic that offers levity grants you more possibilities. It may be a bit more difficult to establish a readership, but once you do, that readership may be more inclined to stay with the comic a lot longer than if it were a semi-funny comedy. I'd like to see more quality humorless comics out there, but they are few and far between. My favorite is Supermassive Black Hole. I'm about to launch a humorless sci-fi comic myself, so we'll see how that goes…

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Google+