HA Stories

Heroes Alliance jam issue
shastab24 at 1:01AM, Dec. 25, 2012
(online)
I thought that, since What You Believe is ending, I may as well bring up the jam issue I proposed and drew six pages for.  The idea is such: each contributor follows up on the story from the previous one, writing and art.  Nobody tells the others what they're doing and only know what the pages are like when they are sent them.  This can provide a story that goes in many different directions, or has specific focus.  It's the beauty of such an endeavor.

Rules to maintain are: do not disregard a previous artist's contribution in order to do whatever you want to do–it has to flow as naturally as possible from the narrative–and always have a solution handy to get characters out of any predicament they face, in case a subsequent artist is at a loss and must contact you about your intentions.  Actually, there's always the obligatory rule to have fun.  And treat every person's character you use with respect.

With that said, I wonder who would be signing up.  Though I don't care how many pages each person would be doing, some people would want to know, and so I do require you mention that.

Pages: 30 (tentatively)
Cover - ShastaB24
1 - ShastaB24
2 - ShastaB24
3 - ShastaB24
4 - ShastaB24
5 - ShastaB24
6 - ShastaB24
7 -
8 -
9 -
10 -
11 -
12 -
13 -
14 -
15 -
16 -
17 -
18 -
19 -
20 -
21 -
22 -
23 -
24 -
25 -
26 -
27 -
28 -
29 -
30 -
last edited on Jan. 4, 2013 1:29PM
ironhand at 1:17AM, Dec. 26, 2012
(online)
I think this is something you have to be careful of when it comes to not knowing what is to come etc as this could make the issue very, very long or very confusing and it could lose it's way. I think if this was to work, there'd have to be a rough layout of the story going on so that people could work with that and know when the ending is. It's just something to be careful of, if you can pull it off though I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Stop looking at my signature and read my comics!!
shastab24 at 1:29PM, Dec. 26, 2012
(online)
I was thinking it could be done along the lines of the DC Challenge.  In that, each issue was released without the subsequent creators knowing how it was going to go.  As far as I know, the first issue was done without anybody knowing how it would be set up.  This one would just have the interesting addition that previous contributors won't know how the subsequent pieces go, either, until the story is posted online.  In fact, that makes me think that if Abt gets involved in this, that he should be the last one to contribute.

I will also say that I did my pages as something I intend to be pretty open-ended.  The pages introduce a character, really.  But I don't want to give too much away, so the next contributor can get it fresh.  I don't even want to say which characters I've included, because of that.

But I can open this up to everyone else: what do people think?  Should there be more transparency in plot?  Do people want me to mention where I've already taken it, so they have an idea where things might go?  I can do that if people want, I guess.

And I would have no idea when this issue might be put up.  I'd hope it can fit in anywhere, and I know it would be after the ninja issue, and maybe the JOD issue, as well, since it would take a bit of time due to varying artist speed.
ironhand at 2:12PM, Dec. 26, 2012
(online)
It would be cool seeing this - but I'd say put restrictions on it also. Perhaps write which characters appear (and possibly make a rule that only these are used so that there isn't an overcrowdment of character introduction) etc. - then leave it down to everyone to go from there. If this is the case, then you can definitely sign me up for a few pages. This would go on the backburner for now, though - I have other commitments in my ninja issue, another project and also another project - I could squeeze it in though whenever this is a concrete idea and plan.
shastab24 at 1:01AM, Jan. 4, 2013
(online)
So, I'm finally responding to this.  While I understand your sentiments and can agree, I am also stubborn.  I like the idea of being able to throw in whatever characters we want.  In fact how about this: background and walkthrough cameos are fair game for the HA members.  It's the core group that moves on to the following issue that shouldn't balloon to unreasonable proportions.  I say this, in part, because there are a lot of cameos that I drew, but niftily, I focused my pages on just two characters:
Bombshell
and the new character, Buns, whose pertinent information is in those pages
ironhand at 2:09AM, Jan. 4, 2013
(online)
That sounds good but one thing we need to be aware of is how many pages this will be. I suggest perhaps setting up a 30 page issue where the writers/artists then just jump in whenever they want - but that way they know when they should be wrapping the story up. If that's the case then sure, sign me up for 4 pages.
shastab24 at 1:25PM, Jan. 4, 2013
(online)
I guess we could give the 30 page limit.  Still, it should be more of a guideline, in case an artist decides to do less or more pages than they volunteered for, based on how they react to what came before.  I'll update the initial post about the 30-page limit, though I won't put you on any pages yet, ironhand, until we get some other people, since you expressed desire to not have it be so immediate.  I just know I'm not giving you the ones right after me or the final pages.

I also wanted to say that I intend to give out the cover in both my colors and the original lineart, in case somebody gets inspiration to color it better than I did.  And I'll also try to send an in-progress credits page, in psd format, for each person to add their information as it comes along.  I'd want to send it in xcf format, but I can't assume everybody is using GIMP.

And these suggestions for the issue are great.  It helps me work things out better and for everybody to have a better experience with it.
ironhand at 9:21AM, Jan. 5, 2013
(online)
Yeah, the 30 page thing can be a rough guideline, at least. If it goes over slightly due to a persons change in pages idea, that's fine - I just think it needs to be clear for those working on this that there should be an ending soon. Yeah, feel free to sign me up whenever and wherever you want - when you tell me this will depend on how many pages I can do as I me working on more/less projects at the time.
Glad to be of help - this should be good with the right guidance.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved