Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA! 2013/2014
Lonnehart at 12:38AM, April 13, 2013
(online)
I personally would love to have bunnies. Just one slight problem… last time I got one the neighborhood dogs got pretty obsessed with trying to get into the cage, and trying to get into the house when I kept it inside. And one day they did finally break in and…
I think before I get another bunny I'm going to get out some very thick rebar and a welding torch.

O… kay… I never knew the Amish need protection from the outside world. And that the so called “Amish Mafia” is what does this. I always thought the Amish did what they did because that's the way they are. Or maybe I'm reading this sort of thing wrong. hmm….
last edited on April 13, 2013 12:43AM
HippieVan at 12:12PM, April 13, 2013
(online)
@kawaii
Your rabbit could be the twin of my Romeo! She even has the funny head fluff. Very cute!
Rabbits are definitely something special when it comes to pets. I used to work in a pet supply store and sometimes had people tell me they were thinking about getting a rabbit. I always started off by saying that they are not like owning a hamster…that seems to be what people assume.
The great thing about rabbits is that their ability to express themselves like other animals through vocalizing, body language etc is kind of limited. So they let you know how they're feeling through actions, which makes them both delightful and a huge pain. When bunnies are happy they run in circles around your feet, literally jump for joy and bump noses. When they're upset they thump and throw things. And when they're bored they just eat everything you own.

@ozone
Romeo thinks he is a cat.

Also, my mom grew two inches after giving birth to me. Bodies definitely do weird things sometimes.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Lonnehart at 2:11PM, April 13, 2013
(online)
Thank you, Hippie.
Had to take a few moments to recover from “cuteness shock”… :)
Just curious, Ozone. Have you met Mike Rowe over there yet? I keep seeing adverts of his adventures in Australia as shown in “Dirty Jobs Down Under”.
Kitty Baker at 5:58PM, April 13, 2013
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Kitty Baker wrote:
Just got a bamboo splash. here's my first attempt at digital art.
Pretty great job!!!!
Thanks! still working hard on getting used to this program!
Manga Studio 5
Has anyone used this program and how do you like it? I'm having a hell of a time finding an artist and figured with a program like this ‘oh I of little talent’ could illuistrate my own. I juuuuust need to know if the program is all I hope and dream and require and desire. Any thoughts?
Genejoke at 12:43PM, April 14, 2013
(online)
I'm drawing again YAY!
Katch at 1:24PM, April 14, 2013
(offline)
General complaints of the day:
So green and toasted brown rice tea smells pretty horrible but tastes amazing.
The weather around here needs to stop being so ugly *shakes fist at the marine layer*
I can't decide whether i want to remake an old comic or create a new one. /death
I decide i'm going to sit like a normal human being, catch myself trying to be a pretzel…dammit i SWEAR.
Something goes here
Lonnehart at 10:37PM, April 14, 2013
(online)
Darnit… now I want a pet rabbit. Or a pet hen. Or maybe not. Some of my neighbors are into chicken fighting and I'm kinda paranoid that they might think the hen I have might make for good breeding stock and “borrow” her on a permanent basis…

Maybe a pet Brown Tree Snake? >:)
last edited on April 14, 2013 10:45PM
Katch at 11:00PM, April 14, 2013
(offline)
Lonnehart wrote:
Some of my neighbors are into chicken fighting and I'm kinda paranoid that they might think the hen I have might make for good breeding stock and “borrow” her on a permanent basis…

DAFUK!? o_0 that's terrible!
Something goes here
Lonnehart at 12:35AM, April 15, 2013
(online)
Very terrible. I've heard it happening female pitbulls that were pets, only to be kidnapped by the illegal dog fighting rings because they thought she would make for great breeding stock to produce better pitbull fighting dogs… I don't know if they do the same thing with hens, but I'm pretty sure they do…

I'm seriously thinking of reviving and rewriting an old comic of mine about a lost battle fortress. Hopefully the word “Battle Fortress” isn't trademarked or owned by anyone. Otherwise I'd have to figure out what to call a ship that's 10km long and houses nearly 30k people…
Then again I've been playing/reading about way too much Battlestar Galactica Online lately…

I have to admit that the Lost Battle Fortress is partly inspired by Battlestar Galactica (the original, not the reimagination)

And I miss the original show. Here's the intro for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hrd767Xzfk
last edited on April 15, 2013 12:42AM
bravo1102 at 3:51AM, April 15, 2013
(offline)
I took a sabbatical on shooting any new scenes for the current comic. Instead I revisitied some unedited pictures I had for a short story anthology I did a few years back. Maybe I'll run it on Deviant Art or something.

At work I got gushing thank yous just for doing my job for a dear old lady who had fallen. And another phone call where the caller ran everything by so fast I just took a breath and said “could you talk slower, I didnt understand?” Express needs clearly and succintly is another important aspect of effective communication.

Of course all day Sunday I also had the worst case of intestinal distress since my birthday. I belched enough but was so bloated and miserable I couldn't do anything else except sip tea. I tried all the over the counter stuff in the house when I got home and my home remedy of ddep breathing and doing sit-ups. So now the indigestion is gone but my abs are screaming. A little voice in the back of my head says that someone somewhere wished me ill for some error. In sympathetic magic wishing ill on someone usually results in acute abdominal pain. Residue of all that study into magic and the supernatural when I was younger.
Ozoneocean at 8:18AM, April 15, 2013
(online)
My pie fell on the floor and smashed everywhere. :(
It was bad.
My delicious hot meat pie collapsed in my hand covering it with scalding gooey meaty gravy, spatted on the edge of the table, then on my chair between my legs (I moved them FAST to avoid a lap full), then splat onto the floor!

It was too good to waste, so I scaped it up and ate it anyway :)
lotta stuff to clean up though. Ugh!
Lonnehart at 2:40PM, April 15, 2013
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
It was too good to waste, so I scaped it up and ate it anyway :)
lotta stuff to clean up though. Ugh!
Don't get sick on us now… :(

If it ends up on the floor, I put it in the trash. Sure it might look delicious, but who knows what was on the floor before the food got onto it… O_O
kawaiidaigakusei at 5:12PM, April 15, 2013
(online)
Ten-second rule, right? Good on you for not wasting food especially something as delicious as a hot meat pie.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
HippieVan at 7:28PM, April 15, 2013
(online)
@Bravo:
What's with you and all the “expressing oneself properly” talk lately?
I hope you feel better, by the way.

I was at university until 9pm today, had two exams. Blargh. I think I'm also getting sick, which always seems to happen right after or during exam time. The stress must make my immune system a little bit less efficient or something.

And now, to make you all feel a little bit better about your lives, here is what I woke up to this morning.

You can't tell, but that is a brand new snow fall. Snowed all day today.
*Sigh* Spring in the prairies.
HippieVan at 8:03PM, April 15, 2013
(online)
Also, fun exam story:
The final question on my French exam today was basically to summarize a movie we had seen recently and talk about its critical reception. I got 100 words into it talking about Oz before realizing I had forgotten how to say wizard in French. I managed to get through it by referring to Oz as magical. :P
lba at 9:36PM, April 15, 2013
(online)
I went out and got pretty heavily drunk ( I have zero tolerance any more, so 4 beers does me in at this point. ) with a good friend who's way into marvel, and woke up this morning to find a script we must have hammered out some time into the night sitting on my printer tray for a Punisher 5-part story. After reading it I can only say that it is damn twisted but quite befitting of the Punisher and the seriously f**ked up mess that is New York in his world. It's actually pretty original for a Punisher story too considering it's told from the perspective of a bystander/groupie in his world and not any superhero or himself, which is something that's been done very seldom in his canon. Basically we wrote the story of the disturbed groupie who gets off on his exploits and keeps a tackboard full of the news clippings regarding his exploits on a wall in a seedy motel room she calls home. It's pretty graphic, violent and slightly disturbing but it fits really well with the direction Garth Ennis took the series a couple years ago. I think I might send it off to a buddy who's a junior art editor over at Marvel for him to get a laugh out of it ( I am in no way saying he'd find the idea of someone getting off on the Punisher's murders funny, but rather that I of all people had written it might amuse him. )
Katch at 10:28PM, April 15, 2013
(offline)
Thaaats pretty shitty. On another note, HI IBA! long time no seeeeeeee. lol
Drawing things completely in PS makes me feel like a five year old with a crayon .____.
Something goes here
gullas at 10:53PM, April 15, 2013
(offline)
okay, I'm pretty sure that the site has changed… Well at least everything looks a bit bigger…
bravo1102 at 1:24AM, April 16, 2013
(offline)
gullas wrote:
okay, I'm pretty sure that the site has changed… Well at least everything looks a bit bigger…
No Gullas, you've actually shrunk. I told you not to take that Fukushima tour. The Incredible Shrinking Accidental Tourist

I hate mental blocks on exams. Considering the extent of my French is Chasseur a cheval de la Garde how could I know that French for wizard is magicien/sorcier? Reading instructions for and descriptions of miniature soldiers without any knowledge of French except for colors and uniform terminology I grasp onto any word that looks like its English cousin.
HippieVan at 9:43PM, April 16, 2013
(online)
I've been reading Dracula in bed and scared myself. :(
And all I have is a 7-pound cat to protect me from vampires!
Lonnehart at 11:37PM, April 16, 2013
(online)
Hippie Van wrote:
I've been reading Dracula in bed and scared myself. :(
And all I have is a 7-pound cat to protect me from vampires!
Thanks for reminding me…

If you watched that old movie “The Thing”, you've probably seen the one part of the movie that haunts me to this day.

That one scene where a mans head rolls off his body, then sprouts eyestalks and legs. Even though I doubt it'll ever happen in reality I still think it could happen. O_O
Ozoneocean at 12:40AM, April 17, 2013
(online)
Migraines, bad ones, are probably what I fear most.

I'm not one for horror movies, but I was drawn to watch Silent Hill- not because of the game, which I've never played, but for Tanya Allen.
Recently I've been re-watching my DVD collections of the Starhunter SciFi TV series and I really love the way she plays such an apathetic, selfish, self centred, yet highly competent, sanguine character. She was also pretty ok in Newsroom, from memory…
Anyway, she has a role in Silent Hill, not a great one, but she's there.

For a horror movie it wasn't scary at all, just sort of gross… but not even that gross either because most of the gore was very stylised, shown in a dream-like setting. The story was not very clever at all… in fact it was dumb.
The visuals were great though. I consider it a very artistic film because of that. The director, cinematographer, editor, animators etc could make fantastic music film clips!

The best scene was in the hospital corridor with all the nurses. Their twitching, insectile movements with the light would have been PERFECT for a Daft Punk video!
kawaiidaigakusei at 1:05AM, April 17, 2013
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:“Migraines, bad ones, are probably what I fear most.”
This weekend has been the motherload of all bad headaches. I have been drinking a lot more coffee lately. It wakes me up and gives me the energy jolt to be a superstar in the office. I don't even drink a sip on the weekends because I rarely have a need for it.

Sometime between Thursday night and Sunday, I fell asleep in a strange position and I ended up with a neck pain that seriously made me read the Merck Manual for every little symptom associated with a strained neck. I hope to rule out meningitis, stroke, and a tumor in the next few days and just hope that I test positive for hypochondria.

So while at work, I decided that having a gigantic Salonpas medicinal heating pad sticker on my neck was not good for my professional image so I opted to drink two ibuprofen tablets with some boiling hot coffee and like clockwork, my brain wrenching migraine that prevented me from sleeping the night before ceased to exist.

I think I may be addicted to caffeine from dark roast coffee and I was having my first serious withdrawal. This is not fun since I used to only drink herbal teas and completely avoided black teas for its high caffeine content.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
bravo1102 at 1:29AM, April 17, 2013
(offline)
Gore is easy, horror is hard. Sustained creepy dread is hard to do. Often it just becomes silliness and one might as well just watch a Scary Movie installment.

So when a book comes out in softcover why is there always the excerpt from the sequel in it? Whatever happened to one story= one book? In a recent interview of an author who'a written a new book on Bram Stoker and Dracula it was mentioned that Stoker should not have killed off Dracula and kept him around for a sequel. Right. I've seen the Hammer Dracula cycle, it's easy to resurrect the undead for another go around time and time again. Manuscripts and notes on the writing recently been discovered that change some of what was previously believed about the writing of the novel Dracula. Pretty interesting for a horror movie enthusiast like me.
Ozoneocean at 1:45AM, April 17, 2013
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:

so I opted to drink two ibuprofen tablets with some boiling hot coffee and like clockwork, my brain wrenching migraine that prevented me from sleeping the night before ceased to exist.
Ibuprofen with codeine, when it works, is amazingly effective! Especially + coffee.
But the side effects seem to add up over time and can last for a few days after - bad stomach cramps, sickening nausea, internal bleeding, etc.
Makes you feel like you've been kicked by a horse in the gut.

So that adds to my fear of migraines. I only ever take two of those in a 24 hour period and only as a last resort now.
last edited on April 17, 2013 1:47AM
lba at 6:01AM, April 17, 2013
(online)
This might sound counter-intuitive, but as a professional caffiene junkie I've found the best way to deal with headaches caused by caffiene addiction isn't more coffee or pain pills, but water. Especially if you've been drinking dark roast coffee, it dehydrates your body incredibly fast, even if you don't use the bathroom so drinking a bottle or two of water will usually take away most of the symptoms. It can help with other types of headaches too, but probably not as much.
ayesinback at 6:07AM, April 17, 2013
(online)
Dracula's a great read, and much scarier than any film version that I can think of. In general a scary book is going to ne scarier than a scary film of it. My guess is that reading is such a solitary act and, even more so, horror is scariest when you are imagining what's out there (or right next to you). Once the image of “it” is defined for you, much of the scare is gone because now you're dealing instead of imagining.

But there is one device that film uses (to the point of cliche) that books don't and it invariably gives me the creeps: those little kid voices singing nursery rhymes. You just know something really wrong is about to go down.

As far as gore horror, usually I'm not into it all – but then American Horror Story came along … Both seasons were gory, but it fit into the story. There were several times when watching I found myself thinking: you're not honestly going There, are yo—OMG!!! you did!
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
HippieVan at 9:05AM, April 17, 2013
(online)
@bravo: You kind of gave away the ending, ya jerk. >: (
@ayes: I think part of it is that reading takes you away from reality to a greater extent than a movie does. At least for me. You really get enveloped in the book world.
I'm really getting into Dracula, but I think I will have to avoid it at bedtime from now on. I legitimately wanted a cross of some kind to hang onto last night, even though I was aware of how silly that was.

I think any singing can be used in a creepy way. There is a great Twilight Zone episode which makes use of this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7RnqBchvTU
The song isn't so creepy in this clip, but it gets progressively scarier throughout the episode.
kawaiidaigakusei at 10:46AM, April 17, 2013
(online)
lba wrote:“This might sound counter-intuitive, but as a professional caffiene junkie I've found the best way to deal with headaches caused by caffiene addiction isn't more coffee or pain pills, but water. Especially if you've been drinking dark roast coffee, it dehydrates your body incredibly fast, even if you don't use the bathroom so drinking a bottle or two of water will usually take away most of the symptoms. It can help with other types of headaches too, but probably not as much.”
Thank you Alex! I will be drinking water all morning until symptoms improve.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Product Placement at 8:01PM, April 17, 2013
(online)
gullas wrote:
Press “Ctrl -” and things will get back to normal.

Want it to become big again? “Ctrl +”
Lonnehart wrote:
If you watched that old movie “The Thing”, you've probably seen the one part of the movie that haunts me to this day.

That one scene where a mans head rolls off his body, then sprouts eyestalks and legs. Even though I doubt it'll ever happen in reality I still think it could happen. O_O
Well… You could always try tying down everyone you know and care about and expose them to fire, in order to make sure that they haven't transform into alien dopelgangers.

And those were my helpful tips of the week.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on April 17, 2013 8:11PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon