Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA! 2013/2014
Katch at 10:13PM, April 17, 2013
(offline)
O n O FINE IBA!
IGNORE ME! Hmmmmmmf.
I'm glad to be home, but not at the same time. I'm still not sure who's harder to deal with, super sensitive mom or super insensitive grandmother. IDFK. I'm just happy to be back in my art cave and in my own damn bed = A = dat feeeel~
Something goes here
Lonnehart at 10:32PM, April 17, 2013
(online)
Just thought of a weird question…

Now I was watching Animal Planet and saw the new commercial for “Whale Wars”. In that commercial they say the only way to stop them would be to sink them. Just suppose several torpedoes suddenly show up out of nowhere and sink the “Whale Rescuers ships” and as the resulting disaster happens the whalers don't lift a single finger to help the survivors. What do you suppose could happen?

Yeah… I'm out of coffee so my mind is going wierd… -_-
bravo1102 at 12:34AM, April 18, 2013
(offline)
Hippie Van wrote:
@bravo: You kind of gave away the ending, ya jerk. >: (
In most stories what happens isn't important. It is how it happens. And Stoker crafts a great ending full of tension and drama. In college my first name became a verb meaning “giving away the ending” DON'T STEVE THE MOVIE! At the same time in all my film and literature classes the profesors purposely gave away all the endings so the class would pay attention to the work and not the plot. If I can't enjoy the twist ending, NO ONE does! (insert manicial laughter here)
That is a great story seed Lonnehart! Some renegade killing all the “save the whales” crowd and Dirk Pitt has to stop them before the whole enviornmentalist movement is destroyed. If I were you I'd send the idea to Clive Cussler. By the way, a similar storyline was used in Michael Crichton's State of Fearbut dealing with global warming rather than whaling.
gullas at 2:34AM, April 18, 2013
(offline)
Product Placement wrote:
Press “Ctrl -” and things will get back to normal.

Want it to become big again? “Ctrl +”

It wasn't like that at all, I trippled checked my page sizes and monitor resolution. But it was if all the texts on the site had gone bigger, for like a half a font size while everything else was the same. It was like it for maybe 30 mins, and then everything was normal again…
“Welcome to the Twilight Duck, where it gets strange and ducky around here”.
Ozoneocean at 2:43AM, April 18, 2013
(online)
Product Placement wrote:

gullas wrote:

okay, I'm pretty sure that the site has changed… Well at least everything looks a bit bigger…

Press “Ctrl -” and things will get back to normal.

Want it to become big again? “Ctrl +”
And “Ctrl 0” brings it to the default size.
Katch wrote:
super sensitive mom or super insensitive grandmother.
And a supersesitive daughter/granddaughter… ;)

I wanted to hear a certain song to relax, had it strong in my mind, so I clicked my playlist on Random and of course it plays… Love when that happens.
last edited on April 18, 2013 2:48AM
lba at 2:33PM, April 18, 2013
(online)
Katch wrote:
O n O FINE IBA!
IGNORE ME! Hmmmmmmf.
I'm glad to be home, but not at the same time. I'm still not sure who's harder to deal with, super sensitive mom or super insensitive grandmother. IDFK. I'm just happy to be back in my art cave and in my own damn bed = A = dat feeeel~
wait what? I haven't been able to see all the posts on the boards for some reason lately. I think it had something to do with my laptop. I'm trying to type this from a tablet right now which is not working all that well. It's really effin' hard to type on.
Ozoneocean at 8:04PM, April 18, 2013
(online)
Yup, I've noticed this too.
Sometimes the forms don't load all the most recent replies in a thread and you miss some because of that.
Katch at 1:37AM, April 20, 2013
(offline)
HMM! OK, i'll forgive you then O 3 O
UGH, a week or so staying at my parents and my nocturnal sleep schedule is in peril!
Sleepy at 1AM, surely not!
Something goes here
Ozoneocean at 7:19AM, April 20, 2013
(online)
Sleepy at 8pm is even worse…
I can't seem to sleep 8 hours and at the moment I seem to need it. 6 is the limit… But I try to go to bed at 12am in the hope of sleeping 8 anyway, even if I have to wake up early and go back to sleep again.
But if I'm bad and go to bed at 3am I am buggered at work. Just can't do it. Don't know why, I used to handle 5 hours sleep no problem at all.
So then I need an afternoon catnap for an hour or so to even things out.
bravo1102 at 1:23PM, April 20, 2013
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
But if I'm bad and go to bed at 3am I am buggered at work. Just can't do it. Don't know why, I used to handle 5 hours sleep no problem at all.
I work nights in a senior residence. They all complain about how less/more sleep they used to need and how they can't restfully sleep the whole night/sleep too much and so on. I hear this constantly. Whatever the sleep pattern one has in their 20s will change when they reach 40 and so on. Get used to one thing and it has to change. The conscious brain is always the last to know.

Past dozen years or so I've come to love hour naps especially since at times caffeine can make my eyes heavy. I know I usually need at least six hours but I know I don't have to do them all in an uninterrupted row. And since I passed 40 my prostate won't let me. Yippee! Another design flaw in the human body. Darn prostates and bladders.

Everything aches. It's been raining on and off and the weather has gotten warmer so my joints are screaming. My right hand is slowly going from pain to numb stiffness and even wearing the brace hasn't been working. My knees were so bad during the week I couldn't sleep. Anf there's another join heard from! Can't forget my bursitis.
Katch at 7:25PM, April 20, 2013
(offline)
W-what the…Where did my trophies go gaiz? GAIZ!?
my profile is bare of glittery pixels of accomplishment~ ;~;
Something goes here
Ozoneocean at 8:42PM, April 20, 2013
(online)
@Bravo - I think tech devices make it harder. They keep you up longer… Books keep people up too, but not as consistantly, and they don't tend to have their own lights…
…Unless you're reading them on a tablet! o_O
Katch wrote:

W-what the…Where did my trophies go gaiz? GAIZ!?
my profile is bare of glittery pixels of accomplishment~ ;~;
If you update your profile at all, ever, just a leeeeeetle, then ALLLLLL your trophies die. :{
last edited on April 20, 2013 8:52PM
Katch at 9:25PM, April 20, 2013
(offline)
But…that's stupid! O m O GIVE THEM BACK!
Something goes here
Gunwallace at 12:27AM, April 21, 2013
(offline)
Good Gods, this site is underpopulated right now … I posted my page over ten hours ago today and it is still on the last ten updated list!!! That is not a good sign.
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
bravo1102 at 11:41PM, April 21, 2013
(offline)
Gunwallace wrote:
Good Gods, this site is underpopulated right now … I posted my page over ten hours ago today and it is still on the last ten updated list!!! That is not a good sign.
Plenty of comics update that don't appear on the last ten bar for hours after they update. I'll look at my favorites and see and read updates that don't show up on the bar until hours later. When my own comic updates, it'll be listed as today's date on my control page but doesn't show up on the last ten updated until two-three hours later. So there's some kind of lag there.

Then think how many other comics update on NZ time?
Ozoneocean at 9:56AM, April 22, 2013
(online)
I can only guess that Bravo is right.
there are enough comics updaying each day, many posting the wrong date because this system here SUCKS and the artists do not pay attention… and also many queued in advance. So it's never a case of only 10 comics updating over an entire weekend.
-not yet anyway! ^_^

Rather it's just another evidence of the shitty bugs this &&&&ing site is F&%^&^% full of T_T
Lonnehart at 9:28PM, April 22, 2013
(online)
So I decide to reinstall Neverwinter Nights and Galactic Civilizations II because I have the HD space for them both and I miss playing those games. Then I find out to my horror…

Now I'm working on manually updating them because the servers that I used to be able to do that on are now defunct. Luckily I found the one file for Galactic Civizations II: Dread Lords. Neverwinter Nights 2 is more… problematic.

About 20 files to download and I have to use a custom patcher to patch my game up to date… one file at a time. I shouldn't have to do this, but there's a major bug in the Mask of the Betrayer expansion that prevents you from advancing from the very first Neverwinter Nights dungeon. A cutscene usually plays after you loot the final chest. It won't play and the foster father elf won't acknowledge that you have the item. Talk about getting nowhere fast… And having a wall slammed into your face to keep you from moving forward…
HippieVan at 9:59PM, April 23, 2013
(online)
I tend to play up my insecurities a bit in an effort not to appear arrogant, but I definitely thought it was coming off just as self-mockery and not genuine insecurity. Apparently I was wrong, because I've just had a guy friend trying to talk to me about my self-perception.
I always seem to end up having these awful touchy-feely conversations with boys, for whatever reason. I hate hate hate them. Talking about feelings is stressful.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
bravo1102 at 2:41AM, April 24, 2013
(offline)
Hippie Van wrote:
Talking about feelings is stressful.
And then there are those “AHA!” moments when the universe changes because discussing those feelings has changed your entire world view. And James Burke pops out.

And the universe changed because someone thought to talk to you about your feelings.
That bastard.
Ozoneocean at 3:44AM, April 24, 2013
(online)
Hippie Van wrote:

I tend to play up my insecurities a bit in an effort not to appear arrogant
I know where Bravo is coming from on the changing world view thing but I think he's wide off the mark in your case Hippie.

If I were you I'd stop worrying about looking arrogant and forget the insecurities, unless you want to appear girlishly vulnerable to attract some guy…?
That way you can have the sorts of conversations you want instead of the mawkish stuff :)
bravo1102 at 4:27AM, April 24, 2013
(offline)
What I meant was just be grateful someone cares that much and hear them out. You don't have to talk if you don't want to. You can always thank them for their concern and say you don't want to talk. Or steer the conversation where you want it to go. Be aware of your needs and desires and act upon them rather than losing yourself in discomfort that you can just acknowledge, move beyond and do what you want.
And then it never hurts to listen even if you have all the answers already.

Ever have a moment when everything falls into place and is blindingly clear and at the same time being crippled by the strong emotions that come with that realization. Had that the other day and just had to sit down and forget. Can't stand being an empath and being able to feel what others feel. It's so painful. I knew all the things that it has taken a week of investigation for the rest of the world to discover. But no one listens so I just keep it to myself and try my best to forget. Just shut up and let the blind wander as they will because they will not be led.
last edited on April 24, 2013 4:40AM
Ironscarf at 5:55AM, April 24, 2013
(offline)
Down with Russel T. Davies for making the once great cybermen totally rubbish.
&nbsp
And down with everyone who thinks Vanessa Paradis needs to get her awesome teeth ‘fixed’.
Ozoneocean at 8:03AM, April 24, 2013
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:

Down with Russel T. Davies for making the once great cybermen totally rubbish.
Looking at the Cybermen in the revival Dr Who series they seem far too closely based on Maria from Metropolis… Why do that? Bit too late in the game to reference something as big as that.
But then all the drama and guff about “the last timelord” and whatever that was related to completely turned me off the revival.
Ironscarf at 2:49PM, April 24, 2013
(offline)
Looking at the Cybermen in the revival Dr Who series they seem far too closely based on Maria from Metropolis… Why do that? Bit too late in the game to reference something as big as that.
But then all the drama and guff about “the last timelord” and whatever that was related to completely turned me off the revival.

Oh I dread those overblown and self important story arcs! The show was never about that and I don't recall any of it in the initial Eccleston run - it's as if he got carried away with the success of the thing and decided to be ‘ambitious’. And “I am The Doctor - be afraid” was about as far away from the old spirit of the show as it's possible to get.

Design issues notwithstanding, my biggest issue with the cybermen was that they were originally a humanoid race who had gradually started to replace parts of themselves with improved versions (artificial limbs, replacement hearts, perfect teeth etc) until there was nothing left of the original and emotion was discarded along the way - all achievements that filled them with pride. That made them interesting, with the potential for varied storylines.
But somehow Davies managed to translate that as ‘half witted robotic zombies in search of fresh brains - can be defeated by anything that comes to hand’.
last edited on April 24, 2013 2:50PM
Genejoke at 8:03AM, April 25, 2013
(online)
I hear that the cybermen that will appear in the current series will be the original kind not those from the russell t davies run, which are alternate reality thingies… or something.
gullas at 9:35AM, April 25, 2013
(offline)
Ah, the “first day of summer” is today. Kinda silly bacause it's usually snowing or bad weather but so far it has only snowed a tiny bit today. Guess this is what happens when you mix lunar-calendar holidays with the Gregorian one….
lba at 12:10PM, April 25, 2013
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
*insert vaguely stereotypical British silliness*

I don't think she needs to get her teeth “fixed”, but she probably could use a better photographer.

I personally haven't made it through the 11th doctor's episodes. Or at least I think he's the 11th. I don't know for sure. They're like Bond for me, I can never really keep track of what order they're in despite enjoying the show a great deal. All I know is that the last episode had them running around world war two Britain attempting to destroy Daleks that were being used as anti-aircraft cannons. It was perhaps one of the most surreal episodes of a show outside of the time I watched public television while high on vicodin from my wisdom teeth being pulled. Either way, my point is that I continually hear bad things about these new episodes which kind of makes me not want to watch any of them lest it be a major letdown.
Ironscarf at 2:12PM, April 25, 2013
(offline)
lba wrote:
*insert vaguely xenophobic put down*

I think that was just a pap shot - this would be more official I suppose. Same great teeth.

I still watch The Doc because my kids like me to watch it with them and it's mostly tolerable - some of the late Tennant stuff was torture. This cyberman thing really isn't cricket though.

Genejoke, I really hope your cyberumour turns out to be true.
HippieVan at 5:50PM, April 25, 2013
(online)
Ironscarf! Long time no see!
I hope all is well with you.

It's finally getting up to spring-like temperatures here! It was 8'C today, supposed to be around 15' tomorrow. I am so sick of snow.
Everyone is very worried about the massive flood we're about to have, though (which happens every year…you would think people would stop building their houses right on the gosh darn river).

I got to be involved in selecting our new History of Science professor this week. I'm not sure how much attention they'll pay to the opinions of myself and the other student rep, but in any case it's stressful to be deciding the future of another person!

I've been watching a lot of QI lately. All of my fellow history students just love it. Probably because our job is to relish in facts that no one else cares about. : )
I also have a bit of a crush on Jimmy Carr, but unfortunately I've seen all of his episodes now.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Ozoneocean at 1:58AM, April 26, 2013
(online)
@Scarf-
I don't think lba meant to be insulting… Americans are like that though. -IRONY!-
And those teeth add real character to her appearance.

@Hippie-
Your Spring temps would be the absolute depths of winter here… I would be miserable… or just in fur clothes ALL the time!
QI is fantastic, but not always as correct with the facts as they lead you to believe unfortunately… It's a comedy show afterall and they like to put a spin on things to make them more notable, interesting and funny (thank gods or it'd be dull!), but yeah: take it with a grain of salt.
For example, sometimes the “facts” will be based on things that were the exception rather than the rule, which is still factual but not really representative.

That said, I love the show. I think Jimmy Carr mugs way too much… Whereas Alan Davis is wonderfully understated, but does take over sometimes. My fave is Phil Jupitas.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon