Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA! 2013/2014
Product Placement at 3:28PM, May 26, 2013
(online)
gullas wrote:
I found Rokulily's doppelganger
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
Ozoneocean at 8:12PM, May 26, 2013
(online)
Product Placement wrote:

I think you found your doppelgnger ^__^

@lba-
That's probably it. Although, this Monday at least offered a whole new world of promise… Getting a good long uninterrupted sleep and then waking up to a bright sunny morning with the sun glinting and sparkling off of the drying raindrops from the night before on all the lush winter greenery probably has something to do with that :)
rokulily at 10:12PM, May 26, 2013
(online)
gullas wrote:
So my brother finished his college degree. I'm very proud of him. but I was kinda surpised that I found Rokulily's doppelganger singing with the women choir, that was singing during the ceremony…
aw man thats 3 doppelgangers so far. i need to go hunt them down now
there can only be one
Lonnehart at 12:13AM, May 27, 2013
(online)
What a headache. Two days ago I start up my computer and I get a message telling me my drives need to be checked for “consistency”. Next thing I know Windows won't start anymore because that “consistency” check resulted in the deletion of files Windows needed to run. After trying to save Windows I just decided to do a clean Windows reinstall…

This is the nice thing about having two physical hard drives in the computer (the next best thing would be having a seperate partition dedicated to the operating system) is that when something screws up Windows you only lose what's on the Windows drive… which for me was not very much. The Data drive (which is the newer, larger 500gb drive as opposed to the 200gb older drive that is the System drive) is still intact, though I may have to delete all the installed games I have on it as I can't get them to run after installing a fresh copy of Windows XP.

And then there's last night…. I arrive at work and find myself throwing up into a plastic bag much to the horror of passerby. And I drank some water and “encouraged” myself to throw up a bit more. Why? I think the dinner I had shortly before going to work was probably bad… If you're going to eat Garlic Fried Rice, it must always be eaten HOT and not be sitting outside the fridge for hours… And as proof that it was the dinner that was causing me to be sick, after I was done retching I felt better almost immediately…
Ozoneocean at 12:59AM, May 27, 2013
(online)
That's bad about your food poisoning and your Windows mess-up Lonne!
If I were you I'd upgrade to Windows 7 if possible, it's much more stable and fast. You could always run your old XP stuff in the XP mode or on a vitural machine running XP (emulated OS environment).
Lonnehart at 1:11AM, May 27, 2013
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
That's bad about your food poisoning and your Windows mess-up Lonne!
If I were you I'd upgrade to Windows 7 if possible, it's much more stable and fast. You could always run your old XP stuff in the XP mode or on a vitural machine running XP (emulated OS environment).
They don't sell Windows 7 around here. It's apparently “all about” Windows 8 now. I'll switch OSs only if one of two things happen… if Microsoft decides to stop supporting XP, or when Windows 9 shows up and it performs just as good as Windows 7 but without all the problems of Windows 8 (a PC operating system trying to be a multi-platform operating system).

Heh… I should probably eat something now. That food poisoning I had tends to make me stop eating for a while. Those blue furry potato chips I have in the fridge look tasty….

Just kidding. I actually bought them last night and they don't have blue fur on them. :)
Ozoneocean at 8:08AM, May 27, 2013
(online)
You can still get windows 7 in places… all you need is an install disk and a legal key. XP stops being supported in April next year.

——————–

So, what features do you find most attractive about a girl or guy? What grabs your interest when you see their face for the first time?
For me it's the nose. A good strong nose. Seriously.
Not a huge conk, but something pointy and decisive. I love that on a face, male or female, but mainly female of course.
Lonnehart at 7:23PM, May 27, 2013
(online)
Wow… one question I would like to see theoretic answers to, but all I find on the internet is other questions. I'm just curious about one thing… what would happen if America and everyone who supports the country decided to leave Earth? What if they created terraforming tech that would allow the peaceful colonization of Mars, the asteroid belt, and create cloud cities on Venus? What would happen to the Earth and everyone left behind?

I can only imagine that there'll be lots of celebrating in the streets. With so many groups wanting America to go away, maybe this will satsify them. Perhaps later they'll feel resentment towards America for leaving them behind (despite them demanding that America leave in the first place).

I probably think too much…
HippieVan at 9:13PM, May 27, 2013
(online)
@ozone: Interestingly, I also have a nose preference. I love a guy with a good turned-down nose. Maybe because mine turns up? I'm not sure.

Other than that, I don't know that there's any one thing I like. I do have a soft spot for Slavic men.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
kawaiidaigakusei at 9:51PM, May 27, 2013
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:“So, what features do you find most attractive about a girl or guy? What grabs your interest when you see their face for the first time? ”

Is this the QuackCast topic for next week? (Just joking)

For me, the most attractive features of a man's face are eyebrows, like thick eyebrows and dark eyes. The next are a chiseled jawline, an adonis belt, a hot accent, high intelligence, and the ability to wear a t-shirt and make it look good. Jon Hamm, Christian Bale, Michael Fassbender, Mads Mikkelsen, Hugh Dancy, and Adam Levine are prime examples.

When it comes to voice tones, I don't have a preference for deep voices, but I do know I can only tolerate to listen to men singers with high falsettos during certain times of the month.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Lonnehart at 12:06AM, May 28, 2013
(online)
Now that I think about it, I don't know what about a woman would grab my attention. Possibly her intelligence? I tend to be more aware of women who demonstrate that they're more intelligent than they appear… Or maybe it's that they wear glasses… Oh, well… kinda late for me to be playing that game.

Aaand the fact that I play The Sims 3 scares them away (which I'm reinstalling right now thanks to my hard drive issue). I have so many downloads and this thing can only process 12 of them at once. -_-
last edited on May 28, 2013 12:15AM
bravo1102 at 12:30AM, May 28, 2013
(offline)
I worked seven nights in a row. The full time guy must have had another COPD attack. The last time was seven months ago and he got a week suspension and told if it ever happened again he'd be fired.

So it happened again. We'll see what happens. The first night I finished editing all the photography I had done. The rest of the time I spent playing solitaire and chess. Love that my verision of Windows 7 had chess in it. Then there was a mini war moview marathon. Yes. overnights can be so dull that I can put in a DVD and watch a 139 minute war movie with no interruptions.

And I'm thinking there is NO WAY that the upcoming Spielberg/Hanks 8th Air Force miniseries with all the CGI in the world will ever match the movie Battle of Britain and its use of real planes, doing real things in a real sky (and some awesome model work).
Ozoneocean at 5:30PM, May 28, 2013
(online)
Lonnehart wrote:

…one question I would like to see theoretic answers to…
Lonne, you ask that same thing about once every two weeks. People always have an issue with the country with the most power (ligitinate problems) no matter who it is and once they go someone else just takes over the same position so the answer, in the immortal words of the Who is: Meet the new boss, Same as the old boss.
Hippie Van wrote:

I love a guy with a good turned-down nose
I've never heard of that… I looked it up and I suppose that fits in with my preferance, but I even like to go further with a strong bridge like Claudia Black's nose. (wow… hot ^_^)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:

Is this the QuackCast topic for next week?
Hahahaha! Good idea! That'd be cool for asking about facial preferences and how that affects chracter creation… How many people use their ideals to create a character? I know I did with Pinky!
bravo1102 wrote:

And I'm thinking there is NO WAY that the upcoming Spielberg/Hanks 8th Air Force miniseries with all the CGI in the world will ever match the movie Battle of Britain and its use of real planes, doing real things in a real sky (and some awesome model work).
I agree, models and the real thing are usually far better than CGI and I really wish Hanks would go back to silly comedy! I loved him in that stuff. Nothing sadder than a clown gone serious…

BTW, I hope you get the full time position!
Ozoneocean at 5:31PM, May 28, 2013
(online)
I am the Quote Master!
Lonnehart at 5:56PM, May 28, 2013
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
I am the Quote Master!
heh… I need to stop forgetting that (just like I keep forgetting what topics I post… thanks for calling me out on that so that I'll be careful of what I post if I remember to be) You could probably make it an artform like Soundwave does in Transformers Prime… but not be so creepy about it. Then again you don't have a chestpiece that tranforms into a creepy drone and tentacles that sprout out your back to hack into other peoples computers and stuff….

ANYWAY…

I checked with my doctor today and it was indeed food poisoning I suffered that night. My stomach is no worse for wear though. When I was younger (a LOT younger) I had a cast iron stomach. I guess the thing rusts when you grow older.

Been avoiding pork like the plague though. My doctor approves. Some of my family do not. Still, I'd rather be alive and well than follow a family tradition that could potentially kill me… Yes. Roast Pig would take its revenge on me via Diabetic Coma. For some odd reason pork makes my blood sugar levels spike really high..
HippieVan at 7:57PM, May 28, 2013
(online)
My university's course calendar for next year has just been posted. Picking courses is super fun. : )
And boy will it be nice to get back to a liberal arts student schedule…it looks like I might only have to go three days a week.

@ozone: This is kind of a random example, but this guy has exactly the kind of nose I'm talking about. Hmm, Izzy kind of had my favourite kind of nose!

Also, stop showing off your quote skills, you jerk. >: (

Speaking of Izzy, I just remembered that I had a story halfway done when the site changed over. The plan was to put it on hold until they fixed stuff up, and then finish it up and post it. Oh dear.
Lonnehart at 8:57PM, May 28, 2013
(online)
Blech. I'm finding out that ‘bots have been invading Neverwinter. At first they showed up in PvP trying to act like actual players. Sometimes two of them show up running and taking actions in sync, but never talking to players who tried to talk to them. Funny thing is there are people on the NW forums arguing that they may NOT be bots (and I find that very hard to believe).
So why are bots in the PvP section of the game? Because the prize for using the PvP section of the game is Astral Diamonds which can be converted to Zen (which is $1 U.S.) which then can be used to buy Cash Shop items, some of which can be sold at the Auction House for more Astral Diamonds. Rinse and repeat…

I avoided the fun PvP aspect of the game and concentrated on dungeon delving. Now I find out there are bots there too, programmed to follow someone then melee attack a target automatically. And thus causing 95% of all Pickup Group dungeon delving teams to fail (you know… where you queue up and get grouped with four other random people). I really hate advertising myself out to anyone who needs a Devoted Cleric, but at least I’m guaranteed that the party isn't composed of software programs trying to simulate the mind of an adventurer.

Hmmm… I think maybe I will get that pet chicken. My brother-in-law offered me a young furry chicken if I ever decided on getting a pet. :)
kawaiidaigakusei at 10:32PM, May 28, 2013
(online)
Rant–I finally watched Peter Jackson's version of The Hobbit last weekend and decided to rewatch the entire LotR Trilogy this afternoon. Once Fellowship of the Ring ended, I quickly opened the case for The Two Towers and it only had the special features disc. So now I have to decide whether I should rent it or buy the full screen, wide screen, or extended cut just to watch three hours of Ents and the Battle of Helm's Deep.

Obviously, I could just recharge my Kindle, read the book, and let my imagination do the visuals…yeah.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on May 28, 2013 11:06PM
Ozoneocean at 10:57PM, May 28, 2013
(online)
@Kawaii- Kindle it- less elves sufing on their shields while shooting arrows.

@Lonne- someone should program bots that are programmed to recognise other bots and group with them, causing the bots to fail. :)

@Hippie- Hahahaha, Izzy! He really IS the ideal man! ^_^
Ozoneocean at 12:45AM, May 29, 2013
(online)
I'm getting old… I just caught myself sounding like my dad while talking to a friend who's about 10 years younger than me. :(
kawaiidaigakusei at 1:07AM, May 29, 2013
(online)
@ozoneocean

But not having Legolas do that shield surfing scene that defied physics would never have given rise to this Lego set.

(More like LEGOlas, amirite?)
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
bravo1102 at 1:18AM, May 29, 2013
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
I'm getting old… I just caught myself sounding like my dad while talking to a friend who's about 10 years younger than me. :(
Would you prefer to be talking like your dad to people 20-30 years older than you? That's what I find myself doing all the time. Nah screw it, treat everybody equal and talk to everyone like they're a kid.

So I took a few implied assocation tests and discovered that I prefer and have positive feelings towards black males, black females, white males and white females in that order. However all groups fall in the middle of the good-bad spectrum so I am equally apathetic about all groups. And to think I've never had a sensitivity class in my life. Maybe I've found new career. I'll set up a web site and market my mad skillz on racial and gender equality to corporations for lots of money. I'll be a racial/gender relations consultant because everyone falls into the middle for me. Let me get a lab coat and a clip board and take some pictures.
Ozoneocean at 1:55AM, May 29, 2013
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:

More like LEGOlas, amirite?
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! XD
Barvo1102 wrote:

I'll be a racial/gender relations consultant because everyone falls into the middle for me.
Take that to the Comic Fury mods and you're golden! ^_^

It's embarrassing to find I'm talking that way to people, it means I'm getting more and more out of touch. Soon I'll be talking like the Queen…
“So what does one call this new-fangeled musical style? Jazz you say? It will never catch on, far too primitive and dirty! One imagines common people like street cleaners, doctors, lawyers, or boot-makers might behave inappropriately if they were to listen to such base music.”
last edited on May 29, 2013 1:56AM
bravo1102 at 2:29AM, May 29, 2013
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:

Soon I'll be talking like the Queen…
“So what does one call this new-fangeled musical style? Jazz you say? It will never catch on, far too primitive and dirty! One imagines common people like street cleaners, doctors, lawyers, or boot-makers might behave inappropriately if they were to listen to such base music.”
True story about the Queen during the Great War (Elizabeth II's grandmother). She was hearing a report about the fighting in Flanders and the officer in question kept referring to Ypres. When done she admitted to having not understood a word and ordered an aide to get the officer a glass of water for his hiccups. Ypres can be pronounced “Yeep” "E-pra" or "Wipers" depending on one's point of reference.

Crowned heads in the modern era are rarely ever aware of anything. They go through the motions. Imagine Wellington, Gladstone, and Disraeli all dealing with the well intentioned but dreadfully dim-witted Victoria.
gullas at 11:14AM, May 29, 2013
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
So, what features do you find most attractive about a girl or guy? What grabs your interest when you see their face for the first time?
What I first notice about gals is if the have symmetrical faces or not. Round features are also something I kinda like.

In men the first thing I notice about their face would be their jawline/cheekbone ratio… but I'm a weirdo…
HippieVan at 4:52PM, May 29, 2013
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Ypres can be pronounced “Yeep” "E-pra" or "Wipers" depending on one's point of reference.
I have never heard anyone pronounce it “Yeep.” That is weird.
I always pronounce it like a French word…“Eepre,” with an understated “R” like in “Sartre.”
bravo1102 at 10:45PM, May 29, 2013
(offline)
Hippie Van wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:
Ypres can be mis-pronounced “Yeep” "E-pra" or "Wipers“ depending on one's point of reference.
I have never heard anyone pronounce it ”Yeep.“ That is weird.
I always pronounce it like a French word…”Eepre,“ with an understated ”R“ like in ”Sartre."
Fixed. You are correct, that is the proper French pronunciation. The others were the various attempts by non-natives to approximate the name. One commentator noted that in the Belgian Eepre the understateded “R” disappears and an English/German speaker hears Yeep.

At Rutgers we have buidings and roads named for the Dutchman Frelinghuysen. There are at least five different schools of thought on how to pronounce it. Supposedly even native Dutch can't agree. One professor fluent in multiple languages was confused and asked around and got a whole lot of answers and after soem research gave up trying to find the “one” correct pronounciation. It all depended on one's point of reference native language, dialect and where one had first heard the name. Definitely worth a 30 minute digression during a dry lecture. This same professor was very clear with his Greek pronouncing Zeus as ZAY-oos.

Fun with words! Join Vocabulary Man and Grammar Girl next week for more linguistic gymnastics!
Kroatz at 2:01AM, May 30, 2013
(online)
The dutch language is Awesome, and Frelinghuysen isn't even really difficult. I think that to actual Dutch people the only discussion point would be whether to pronounce the N at the end or not.

The FR in Frelinghuysen is pronounced like the FR in French Fries. The first E in frelinghuysen is pronounced like the a in lake. The LING is pronounced like the ling in crackling or falling. The UY is more difficult in the English language because you people never use that. It's shown in this video at about 3.30. the rest of the word, SEN, is pronounced almost like the typical german THE as in “Kill Ze French Dogs!” or “Kill Ze English Dogs!”

I once went to a town called “Hasseltenneyveensermondt”, which has a lot of letters that you don't normally need to pronounce. That one is difficult.
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
bravo1102 at 2:39AM, May 30, 2013
(offline)
And for the win, how do you pronounce Tadeusz Kosciuszko? Considering there's a bridge into NYC that's always on the traffic report it's torture to listen to it get mangled.

I forgot the AEF mis-pronounciation of Ypres which was Yipree, Yeepree or even Yeepers and Yippers. Once them Doughboys have seen Paris, Kansas just won't seem as interesting.
Kroatz at 4:31AM, May 30, 2013
(online)
TAD as in Tadpole, then an A as in the first letter of the alphabet, followed by US pronounced like us as in “Who, us?”. The Z is silent. The second word starts with KO pronounced like go as in “Let's go!”. This is followed by SCIU, which you pronounce like Shoo as in “Shoo, you dog!”. Finally the SZKO is pronounced like ska. Depending on where you're from ot is also possible to pronounce the a as an o.

What did I win?
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon