Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA! 2013/2014
bravo1102 at 5:16AM, May 30, 2013
(offline)
Kroatz wrote:
TAD as in Tadpole, then an A as in the first letter of the alphabet, followed by US pronounced like us as in “Who, us?”. The Z is silent. The second word starts with KO pronounced like go as in “Let's go!”. This is followed by SCIU, which you pronounce like Shoo as in “Shoo, you dog!”. Finally the SZKO is pronounced like ska. Depending on where you're from ot is also possible to pronounce the a as an o.

What did I win?
*BUZZ* I'm sorry you got it WRONG! Bruhahahahahahaha! (I checked with the Kosciuszko society in New York) It's pronounced Smith. Teddy Smith.

Actually you're close enough.

Native speakers can swallow syllables so it often sounds like the first syllable of the last name is pronounced with the s as in Kos-shoosh-ko. The “Z”s can have a slight buzz to them depnding on the speaker. Many Poles being bilingual use the “O” since “ska” is feminine in Russian. Or at least they tell me.

And there's a guy living in the building named Wolodymyr. Couldn't be Vladimir could it. I miss when Ellis island Americanized foreign names. It's what? You're from Russia? Last name is Rusen.
last edited on May 30, 2013 5:18AM
Ozoneocean at 4:29AM, June 2, 2013
(online)
The highest mountain in Australia is MountKosciuszko.
We pronounce it kozi-os-ko. People tend to think it's Japanese, but it was some famous Polish man.
Lonnehart at 5:53PM, June 2, 2013
(online)
Gotta love Star Trek Online's “Legacy of Romulus” storyline…

After you create your new Romulan character, you end up on a Romulan colony (after that supernova wipes out your homeworld). You help out with a few harvest celebration preperations and find strange technology near your colony. Later that night you're forced to defend yourself against an invasion by the Tal Shiar (the Romulan intelligence agency turned empire leader wannabe) lead by Empress Sela (yes… the demonic half Romulan/human hybrid daughter of Tasha Yar). And somehow you get on an escape shuttle.

While escaping in space you and your friends run into an old Romulan warbird (from Kirk's era). You commandeer it with you as captain and help the remaining colonists escape. And in the process you put out the eye of Star Trek Online's most infamous villain (so noted because he believes in Romulan superiority over everything else) and he marks you as his most hated enemy from then on.

You find yourself on a Romulan Flotilla headed by D'Tan and one of his most trusted men. Later on D'Tan takes you to a conference to establish relations with the Klingon Empire and the Federation, neither of which fully trust D'Tan and his intention until his most trusted guy sacrifices himself to stop a bomb plot by the Tal Shiar to derail the talks.
From there you choose who you will ally with (Federation or the Klingons), but in the end you will always be Romulan…

Oh, well… it's better than Neverwinter's story, when the murder of a Goddess causes the land to become very messed up and magic to start working differently… And where people are being turned into monstrosities, etc…

Funny thing is the Z-Store in Neverwinter has a Neverwinter Guard companion that you can pay $25 for, and he'll accompany you on your adventures (and is great protection if you're a squshy wizard). I'd buy one, but given the current state of Neverwinter… well…
last edited on June 2, 2013 5:55PM
bravo1102 at 2:15AM, June 3, 2013
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
The highest mountain in Australia is MountKosciuszko.
We pronounce it kozi-os-ko. People tend to think it's Japanese, but it was some famous Polish man.

He was a pretty great and influential guy and true patriot for both the USA and Poland. He knew Washington and Napoleon and considering one of his protoges was Marshall of the Empire Poniatowski (also knew his father Duke Poniatowski) pretty influential in both American and European history. One of those big guys of the 18th century everyone forgets about these days except for mountains and bridges and just how do you pronounce his name.

http://www.history.com/topics/tadeusz-kosciuszko
http://www.polishworld.com/polemb/const/tk.html
http://www.polishamericancenter.org/KosciuszkoHistory.htm
http://www.amazon.com/The-Peasant-Prince-Kosciuszko-Revolution/dp/0312625944
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/listing/2681333250775?r=1&cm_mmca2=pla&cm_mmc=GooglePLA-_-Book_25To44-_-Q000000633-_-2681333250775
last edited on June 3, 2013 2:18AM
ayesinback at 7:15AM, June 3, 2013
(online)
Ducks!

Did you see This?

bravo1102 wrote:
Do you really want me doing five (Radio Play Comic) pages like last year? Step forward to stop this travesty of comic creation and I'll repeat my threat of every year.

I will use dolls and photography if others don't step forward to draw other pages! Stop me from ruining everything!

He means it, folks. He's not a-foolin.

Sign up now (the thread is in this General Discussion forum. See 2nd post for page availabiity and either post what page you want or PQ me). Hoping to receive pages by 21 June.

ozoneocean … usedbooks … (Genejoke - I'll give you a pass. But you don't have to take it) … Skreem … Tantz … Ironscarf … Lonnehart … Hippie Van … skool?? (I can add some discrete black boxes if you want to do a life drawing take on one of the pages)

ALLS YOUZ

btw – Not too late to try-out for one of the play roles! See awsome owl 98's thread (something like the 12th post)
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
last edited on June 3, 2013 8:03AM
Genejoke at 12:12PM, June 3, 2013
(online)
Beginning to adjust to my new situation, taking a while but i'm able to relax in my own company now which is a bonus.
Lonnehart at 1:48PM, June 3, 2013
(online)
Genejoke wrote:
Beginning to adjust to my new situation, taking a while but i'm able to relax in my own company now which is a bonus.
Are you living alone? I know a guy who lives alone. Except he's not exactly alone. He's got a pet dog… a Pug. That dog is so cute I wish I had one. Anyways, it keeps him pretty happy and he's also divorced.
Genejoke at 2:43PM, June 3, 2013
(online)
Yep living alone, all that quiet time and not being able to make the most of it sucks.
HippieVan at 3:23PM, June 3, 2013
(online)
@Oz: Is this the guy your mountain is named after?
@ayes: When-ish is the radio play happening? If it's between now and August I could probably do a page.kjjj
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
lba at 4:38PM, June 3, 2013
(online)
I would offer a page, but I know with my current level of activity/laziness towards comics I'd never actually get it done in time. I've been so busy with all my usual hare-brained schemes that I haven't actually drawn anything in quite some time.

I'm noticing this as I'm trying to figure out the exact wording of what I want to put in a positive review for one of my staff sergeants, is that as you search the internet for any sort of example of positive counseling, encouragement or acknowledgement, you really only find two varieties, the “buck up sunshine, don't be sad” variety that typically involves fluffy kitties or someone praising someone else for being a raging asshole. You don't really find much in the way of positivity on the internet it seems. This all started as a search for good examples of positive counseling statements in the Army, but an hour later and the internet as a whole is starting to look a hell of a lot bleaker.
bravo1102 at 1:29AM, June 4, 2013
(offline)
The wife is out of work, I can't get full time and our savings are depleted. And my coping mechanism? Spend money on ebay.

Things fall apart and there's no glue. But holy-moles on acid if the last few panels I've done aren't truly mind-blowing. And the comic is updated through the end of June.
ayesinback at 7:40AM, June 4, 2013
(online)
Hippie Van wrote:
@ayes: When-ish is the radio play happening? If it's between now and August I could probably do a page.kjjj

YUSSSS.

I'm hoping to receive finished pages by 21 June so I can start uploading the 24th. But it depends on getting the artists.

I really hope you'll give it a try. I suggest if you need a little more time, then pick a later page (20 or 21).

Thanks for considering it!
HippieVan at 5:49PM, June 4, 2013
(online)
No problem, ayes! I haven't been involved in a community project in a long time, and I've finally got some free time.

I forgot to tell you guys - I turned TWENTY last weekend! I feel like someone must have made a mistake in the addition somewhere, and I can't possibly have had enough life experience to be out of my teens.
Some of you have known me (virtually) since middle school. Pretty crazy.
bravo1102 at 1:45AM, June 5, 2013
(offline)
Hippie Van wrote:
I feel like someone must have made a mistake in the addition somewhere, and I can't possibly have had enough life experience to be out of my teens.

Yeah, that's how I feel at nearly fifty. Then I look back and there's a WTF! at all the stuff I did manage to cram into that half century.
Ozoneocean at 1:50AM, June 5, 2013
(online)
Hippie Van wrote:

@Oz: Is this the guy your mountain is named after?

I forgot to tell you guys - I turned TWENTY last weekend!
That's the guy!!!

I can't believe you're 20 now o_O
Wowsers… Hippie as an adult… The weird thing is that you getting older makes me feel younger, so keep doing it :)
Ironscarf at 5:11PM, June 5, 2013
(offline)
ayesinback wrote:
Sign up now (the thread is in this General Discussion forum. See 2nd post for page availabiity and either post what page you want or PQ me). Hoping to receive pages by 21 June.

I will try to read this: to be honest I'd forgotten there were still other threads on this forum.

Hippie, congratulations on reaching 20 - in an uncertain world it's good to know some things can still be relied upon, like your ever present brightly painted vans. May all your tie dyed dreams come true in the next 20 years.

Damnit: really, really high cholesterol. I had a feeling the test results would be bad, but - no more Danish pastry?
I'll come to terms with this I'm sure but tonight I grieve, haunted by the ghosts off pastries past, present and future.
ayesinback at 8:08AM, June 6, 2013
(online)
Hippie Van wrote:
No problem, ayes! I haven't been involved in a community project in a long time, and I've finally got some free time.

I forgot to tell you guys - I turned TWENTY last weekend! I feel like someone must have made a mistake in the addition somewhere, and I can't possibly have had enough life experience to be out of my teens.
Some of you have known me (virtually) since middle school. Pretty crazy.

Happy Birthday, Hippie Van! I hope it's a happy year for you. And 20 is as good an age as any to learn that age is not about addition – nor any other mathematical calculation. I see it as a process for enrichment and refinement - and that could be subtraction, multiplication – so many things options.

And THANKS for helping out. What page can I put you down for?

Also, @ironscarf, you're certainly not the only one who infrequents the threads. Can I sign you up for a page, too?

And his Oz-someness. Page one is still available! What a fantastic way to get the comic rolling with you doing page one. Ey? :X
HippieVan at 5:25PM, June 6, 2013
(online)
@ayes: A middle-ish page would be good!
19 was a pretty good year, so I am hopeful that 20 will be too.

@oz: I am glad my aging is working out for someone!

@bravo: I hope I can look back like that at 50. I haven't done a whole lot yet.

@ironscarf: That is a lovely birthday wish. Thank you. : )
last edited on June 6, 2013 5:28PM
Kroatz at 1:10AM, June 7, 2013
(online)
I remember the time that I turned 20. It feels like such a long time ago.

Nah.

I wish I could REALLY say things like that though. How come only older people are allowed to feel nostalgic? I have the same amount of memories that everyone has, I've lived the same amount of life. Everyone does. We all get exactly a lifetime.

Since I am on the subject of asking ridiculous questions: where do you people think you'll go after you die? I personally believe in rencarnation. I believe that I'll get another chance, and another, and another until I succeed in whatever life is supposed to be about. And I kind of hope I'll never succeed at that.

Sometimes I try to remember my undoubtedly millions of previous lives and I hit some kind of wall. my life is infinite, this particular one, it's all I've ever experienced. It stretches as far back as I can remember and it keeps on growing. I can't look beyond it in any way. It scares the shit out of me.

- - -

In other news, Star Trek: Into Darkness is not a very bad movie. It could, by those less inclined to underwhelm than I, be called a pretty good movie. Benedict Cumberbatch is quite awesome. Quite awesome indeed.
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
Ironscarf at 2:07AM, June 7, 2013
(offline)
After you're dead? Well, your consciousness will cease to exist, as the organ that fostered it, your brain, no longer functions. I like the motorcycle analogy:
A motorcycle goes from A to B, that's the whole point of it, but if we take it apart to look for this forward motion, it cannot be located. The desired motion only exists as a sum of the parts, not as an entity in it's own right, unless you believe said forward motion has now ascended to heaven and is living in an eternal paradise, or will return to live again - perhaps as a light aircraft if it was well behaved last time, or a milk float if it wasn't.

Your lifeless body conventionally goes into the ground or into a purpose built furnace: I prefer the envoironmentally friendly option of providing a meal for assorted worms and beetle larvae. But after you're dead, why would you care? I don't recall losing any sleep over not having been born yet.
ayesinback wrote:
Also, @ironscarf, you're certainly not the only one who infrequents the threads. Can I sign you up for a page, too?

If you're asking me, you're obviously not taking the deadline too seriously! I did finally manage to track down the script but there appears to be no indication of who the characters are or what they're supposed to look like. It's a continuity nightmare!
Lonnehart at 2:14AM, June 7, 2013
(online)
Happy 20th, Hippie! Looks like you've got quite a life ahead of you! :)
Lonnehart at 2:16AM, June 7, 2013
(online)
Kroatz wrote:
In other news, Star Trek: Into Darkness is not a very bad movie. It could, by those less inclined to underwhelm than I, be called a pretty good movie. Benedict Cumberbatch is quite awesome. Quite awesome indeed.
Unfortunately to a lot of Star Trek fans (myself not included as I have yet to see the movie… waiting for it to show up on DVD) they think it's bad. Then again, what else could you expect from a fanbase that seems so compassionate about the old series that when an alt universe series shows up they turn their noses at it?
Ozoneocean at 6:13AM, June 7, 2013
(online)
I'm thinking about doing a page… but I would really prefer to just have someone send me the script and tell me what they want. :(
YUP… I'm in one of “those” moods. :P

Benedict cabbagepatch is just the standard upperclass seeming British villian type, but with a fatter face than normal.

This is quite profound:
“Sometimes I try to remember my undoubtedly millions of previous lives and I hit some kind of wall. my life is infinite, this particular one, it's all I've ever experienced. It stretches as far back as I can remember and it keeps on growing. I can't look beyond it in any way. It scares the shit out of me.”
Kroatz at 6:47AM, June 7, 2013
(online)
Lonnehart wrote:
Unfortunately to a lot of Star Trek fans (myself not included as I have yet to see the movie… waiting for it to show up on DVD) they think it's bad. Then again, what else could you expect from a fanbase that seems so compassionate about the old series that when an alt universe series shows up they turn their noses at it?

You should try looking at the movie as if its just another science fiction movie. Ignore the Star Trek part of it. Of course there are a lot of characters that were important in the original series also present in Into Darkness, and a lot of plot elements got transfered one on one, but the movie still sort of holds up without them. Yes, compared to the Star Trek source material, Into Darkness is bad, but compared to other Sci Fi movies, like the new `After Earth` or `Prometheus` it isnt very bad.

Of course, I also liked the new Star Wars movies. Mostly because I didnt look at them as part of the Star Wars verse, so it might not be a good idea to listen to my opinion on movies.
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
ayesinback at 9:45AM, June 7, 2013
(online)
Hippie Van wrote:
@ayes: A middle-ish page would be good!
19 was a pretty good year, so I am hopeful that 20 will be too.
To commemorate this milestone birthday, I've signed you up for page 20. Thank you again!!

ozoneocean wrote:
I'm thinking about doing a page… but I would really prefer to just have someone send me the script and tell me what they want.
YUP… I'm in one of “those” moods. :P
Dear Oz: I, as a someone, emailed you the script entire and a file of unclaimed pages. Or if you like, you can read the script online. And what do I, as a someone, want? That would be page 1, creatively illustrated by none other than you, emailed to me, to post in the comic, ideally by 21 June, but I think I'm going to have to extend the dates because of lack of artists. I guess most folks prefer full color, although I think a sepia wash might be cool.

And if your dream does not include page 1, then tell me which page you wish to do (because time 2:12 to end)

Ironscarf wrote:
If you're asking me, you're obviously not taking the deadline too seriously! I did finally manage to track down the script but there appears to be no indication of who the characters are or what they're supposed to look like. It's a continuity nightmare!
YUSS! Continuity nightmare! That's what it's all about :) see last year's comic. And as I already mentioned,
ayesinback wrote:
. . . I think I'm going to have to extend the dates because of lack of artists.
, the deadline is mutable.

and, uh, -ahem- Lonnehart? – a syfy space setting for one of the pages could be Amazing.

Look guys, you know how this goes. I'm gonna be in major noodge mode until we get these pages claimed. It's not pretty. You can make me go away by signing up soon.

Thanks in Advance!!
last edited on June 7, 2013 10:10AM
HippieVan at 2:13PM, June 7, 2013
(online)
@ayes: To be honest, I think it would be better if we had at least a vague idea of what the characters should look like and then just did our own interpretations of them…is there any way we could make that happen?
Also, which pages are taken? I may look through and pick a specific page, actually (not that I don't like the page you gave me).

Edit: Can I do 19?
last edited on June 7, 2013 2:31PM
Ironscarf at 3:16PM, June 7, 2013
(offline)
ayesinback wrote:
Look guys, you know how this goes. I'm gonna be in major noodge mode until we get these pages claimed. It's not pretty. You can make me go away by signing up soon.

Thanks in Advance!!

Major Noodge? You're expecting us to draw characters in military uniform now? This would mean a whole load of research, unless Ozone and Bravo do it all - they already have the gear.

Besides, I don't want you to go away - everyone stop signing up right now.
last edited on June 7, 2013 3:18PM
ayesinback at 8:04AM, June 8, 2013
(online)
@Hippie Van: Page 19 is now yours and 20 is up for grabs again.

As to a continuity for characters, the comic really encourages individual interpretation of how they look. BUT it's probably a good idea if there's a resource to have a general understanding of the character traits. For example, I've seen Bill Duck as the adventurer / explorer / rough-n-tumble sort, somewhere along the lines of Indiana Jones or even Steve Irwin.
Calling Gunwallace!! Can you post some general character traits in the sign-up thread? Or here? Or both, since these are the major noodge days. which brings me to

@lovelysillyironscarf: Yes, the pages do need to use a military theme; that is, the pages you do. Which ones are they, by the way?
And, really, the research is not so tough. Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX4fSzPHNYI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhhsVZozmF0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faxaq6W_wDA

By the way, “someone” no longer wants ozoneocean to do page 1 because it has already been taken! And guess who took it! None other than:

and not just page 1, but page 2, too.
Mr Ironscarf: Are you going to make the lady do all the work?
HippieVan at 12:25PM, June 8, 2013
(online)
ayesinback wrote:
As to a continuity for characters, the comic really encourages individual interpretation of how they look. BUT it's probably a good idea if there's a resource to have a general understanding of the character traits. For example, I've seen Bill Duck as the adventurer / explorer / rough-n-tumble sort, somewhere along the lines of Indiana Jones or even Steve Irwin.
Calling Gunwallace!! Can you post some general character traits in the sign-up thread? Or here? Or both, since these are the major noodge days. which brings me to
I get that, but I think the best way to do this sort of thing would be to have a very general description of characters, e.g. John Smith has brown hair and wears a top hat. That would allow for basically just as much creativity, but the comic would be easier to follow.
It's not a big deal, but maybe something we could think about for the next time around if not for this one.
Ozoneocean at 10:08PM, June 8, 2013
(online)
fuck everything. I tripped on the stairs in my back garden, fell down and smashed my phone screen.
fuck fuch fuckkityy fuckfuck. -_-

Have to ring for repair quotes tmorrow.My savings at the moment are sinking dowwwwwwwwwnnnnnn………

I would like to do the comic play page, but I am not in the mindspace for it right at them moment, I will try and come at the intomorrow or the next day.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon