Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA! 2013/2014
bravo1102 at 10:50PM, July 26, 2013
(offline)
Everything is on wheels. Some furniture flies on wires from above, so wires can be used to move it across by itself on stage. Since everything is marked on the stage with spike tape a preformer learns to move acorss the stage without tripping. In fact a lot of rehearsal can be conducted without the furniture and just the spikes. Some stages even have tracks for the casters, others have platforms that rotate. I once read about a guy adopting large scale model railroad track to move stage furniture. The stuff is on wheels anyway why not lay some track and move it like a model train with the push of a button?

I do use spikes on my scale sets but they're upstage of the scenery. Since it's still photography I don't need rails and wheels to move furniture. I also have diagrams and set-up photos to keep track of property placement.
Lonnehart at 12:41AM, July 27, 2013
(online)
Ever wonder where the pop culture version of the Japanese Ninja come from? If you watch a Kabuki show (some sort of Japanese opera thing) you'll notice there are stagehands clad in black… in uniforms incredibly similar to what we think Ninjas would be dressed. They moved things around on stage, either as part of the show or to change scenery. That's how I know it anyway…

In reality, you wouldn't know if you were looking at a Ninja or a gardener working for the Japanese Emporer. I remember he employed them as is personal bodyguards at some point…
bravo1102 at 2:27AM, July 27, 2013
(offline)
The whole point of a ninja is disguise so he/she would wear whatever blended in and made him/her unnoticable. And they usually wore dark gray not black as dark gray blends into the night better whereas true black will often be visible as a shadow. Which is why the black finish of night aircraft in World War II was usually allowed to weather and fade. German night fighters though originally black were later painted in a dapple scheme of grays. Most basic research into how humans perceive color and movement was done to perfect aircraft camouflage during World War II.

In case anyone cares modern night aircraft are painted “gunship gray” which puts lie to the mythical military black helicopter. Black helicopters aren't black. If military they are either dark gray (USAF/USN) or dark olive drab (US Army) And now you know. Tune in next week to learn how Bravo is being targetted and harrased by his employer because he got a disability settlement for a work related accident.
Ozoneocean at 6:43AM, July 27, 2013
(online)
The Earliest images of Ninja in the classic outfit that I have seen are in artworks by Hokusai who lived from 1760 to 1849… so I dunno man.
During that time Japan was romanticising its past because they were going through a period of modernisation, like most countries at the same time, so maybe there was some creative license there?

But also Japan was a pretty unimaginative, conservative country, extremely rooted in tradition, so it's very likely that some ninja did actually dress that way. And for the same reasons that's probably why the Bunraku puppeteers etc probably dressed similarly; because that's the style you naturally dress in when you're supposed to be “unseen”.

Did they wear black? I bet some did. One of the big things about anything military is that lots of it was based on tradition and crazy ideas, weather it worked or not. Even today that persists in things. Things are sort of useful when they're introduced or thought of, like crossbelts, swords, gaiters, helmet plumes etc, but then they get elaborated on and hang around WAYYYYY past their use-by date just because it's part of the tradition.
Bravo could name you a million things that fit that description.

—————————-

@Hippy!
I hope you recover soon Hippie!!!
Those shoes I drew for Max are Two tone high heels with spats. The black and white pattern is revered though- they're more common the other way around. Something like this would fit the bill:
http://www.shoebuy.com/funtasma-saddle-48/569206
The spats are really easy to get on ebay.

—————————

@Katch
Fashion is important!!!!
We'll wear dresses together some day ^_^

————————–
@Bravo
Hang in there man! That sounds damn rough.
last edited on July 27, 2013 6:45AM
Lonnehart at 1:41PM, July 27, 2013
(online)
Um…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP48CnR–TA
Just to see those puppeteers in action. :)
HippieVan at 3:04PM, July 27, 2013
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
@Hippy!
I hope you recover soon Hippie!!!
Those shoes I drew for Max are Two tone high heels with spats. The black and white pattern is revered though- they're more common the other way around. Something like this would fit the bill:
http://www.shoebuy.com/funtasma-saddle-48/569206
The spats are really easy to get on ebay.

I'm feeling much better today, thank you. : ) Usually it lasts a few hours and then the next day I just feel more worn-out than anything else. So I'm spending the day playing video games and looking at clothes online.

I feel like I need you as my personal fashion advisor. :) I found these, which I quite like, but I'm not sure if spats would go far enough on them. It's hard to tell without having them both in front of me.
And then I will want to buy a new dress to go with them…
I've started to really enjoy dressing up but man is it expensive.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Lonnehart at 8:31PM, July 27, 2013
(online)
Hippie Van wrote:
I'm feeling much better today, thank you. : ) Usually it lasts a few hours and then the next day I just feel more worn-out than anything else. So I'm spending the day playing video games and looking at clothes online.

I'd like to see you in Neverwinter, but it may not be the kind of game you're into.
I should probably get back to Star Trek Online. Currently the only way to customize your armors look is through the use of dyes (or grinding diamonds to exchange for or paying actual money for Zen) to buy fashion items.

Some players don't get that most of the armor we're using is LOOTED armor. It's not gonna be customuzed for us. Even worse… some players like playing female characters, but they run around without some armor pieces because they like showing skin. Geez, this isn't WoW, folks. Even Mages have to wear form fitting armor. Robes are out for now.

Keina Galford, a Control Wizard in Neverwinter

gullas at 6:10AM, July 28, 2013
(offline)
Lonnehart wrote:
oh… and you can only play as a female. T_T

And I'm sure you'd make a pretty good female counter-part of yourself *winkwink*
bravo1102 at 7:49AM, July 28, 2013
(offline)
I did my best role-playing backin day with a female character. And some of us DMs also took the whole “looted” armor thing into consideration. Besides it is completely historical. Also it is important to note that whole suits need to be perfectly fitted but bits and pieces do not. For example just wearing stolen pauldrons (shoulder pieces), cuisses and poleyns wouldn't need to fitted and you could just strap them on. In fact such bits were even mass produced. But a whole suit with interlocking gorget, haute-piece, breastplate, besagues (fitted shoulder pieces), couter, fauld and tassets would need to be fitted.

Yeah do a pseudo-medieval fantasy story sometime and you'd be surprised how fast you learn about armor.
Ozoneocean at 10:43AM, July 28, 2013
(online)
Hippie Van wrote:

I feel like I need you as my personal fashion advisor. :) I found these, which I quite like, but I'm not sure if spats would go far enough on them. It's hard to tell without having them both in front of me.
And then I will want to buy a new dress to go with them…
I've started to really enjoy dressing up but man is it expensive.
Hahaha! I love Fashion!
Those are a great find. I'm fairly positive spats would cover the open part fully. spats cover most of the top of a shoe pretty efficianly- that's what they were for. Thhey'd actually work way better with the shoes you found because they the black part is wider so some would show through better under the spat.

But there are some styles that already have that look without the need of spats:
- http://www.polyvore.com/nude_rosalie_black_white_button/thing?id=17107304

- http://www.ebay.com/itm/BORDELLO-TEEZE-20-5-75-Stiletto-Heel-Women-3-Button-Platform-PU-Pat-Ankle-Boot-/370858169385?pt=US_Women_s_Shoes
- http://www.ebay.com/itm/BORDELLO-FLORA-1023-2-Low-Heel-Women-PU-Pointy-Toe-Button-Spat-Ankle-Bootie-/281138957219?pt=US_Women_s_Shoes
- http://www.alternative-footwear.co.uk/arena-208-white-matte-knee-boot.html
last edited on July 28, 2013 10:45AM
Lonnehart at 5:52PM, July 29, 2013
(online)
Just posting this link in case there are actually Transformers fans in here.

Won't spoil it too much, but let's just say Megatron loses something…. to someone we don't expect him to lose it to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki6r1xBpllU
Banes at 8:11PM, July 29, 2013
(offline)
I'm going to sleep stressed out, waking up angry and stressed, and getting…well, way too angry throughout the day as a result of the challenges that are going on right now.(hey! I really AM the Hulk! Be careful what you wish for…).

Luckily, nobody knows it. I keep a lid on that stuff!(it worked for Bruce Banner! It worked for Walter White! It'll be…fine…….rrrr….rrrAAARGHH!)

Anyway, last night, and then again this morning I flicked on some Netflix stuff (doesn't matter what…but for the record, it was Malcolm in the Middle).

It's weird, but I could really feel the emotional numbing (or put more positively, the anxiety-release?) happening when I watched an episode or two. Then I can get on with the day (or with sleeping).

It's one of the first times I've really noticed that effect consciously…though I've probably been numbing unpleasant emotions this way all my life. It felt good…but it kind of bugged me, too.

Odd to think that for generations now (depending on where you live), people have had that numbing agent available in the form of mass media/TV/movies and now the ‘Net. Opiate of the masses and all that.

Are we fundamentally out of touch with our…humanity in a way? Are we missing something as a result of this weird immersion in distraction?

Maybe I’m just O.D. ing on meaningless Internet time lately.

last edited on July 29, 2013 8:12PM
Ozoneocean at 8:55PM, July 29, 2013
(online)
Yah, I use TV shows and movies like that (people use music this way too). But it's a problem when you can't find the right “drug” for the problem you're having at the time though… The wrong shows and movies make me angrier than I'd never be normally, some will depress me too.
Some will amp you up and get you inspired… but that fades with repeated viewings.

With TV shows like the one you mention I think it's a factor of being comfortable with those characters and just slipping into that world like a warm bubble bath.
I used to find that with How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory, but now unfortunately I can't stand either of those shows. :(

So what's gone wrong man? House, rent, tenant problems?
Banes at 6:12AM, July 30, 2013
(offline)
I guess a little extra TV/Net now and then is less damaging than some other addictive behaviours I could have chosen. Granted, I've used some of those, too!

Well, the problems will be resolved and things will be okay - I won't go into it too much. Things are being fixed (after the housefire in June, this is). I'm dealing with Insurance people, Contractors and workers, the Municipality is making a stink about things … most of it is moving forward somewhat, but the various parties have been moving kind of slooooooowwwwly and yeah, since the issue involves houses, there's some pressure going on to get everything finished!

I think the real problem might come back to character (as problems so often do). Assertiveness or something.

I keep getting messages along the lines of “sometmes you have to get pushy!” and “learn to say NO!” and “sometimes YOU make the rules! DO it!” and “Mister, please get off my foot!” …..that last one was a whole different scenario.

Maybe the world is throwing that at me so I can learn something and better myself…being assertive and even a little aggressive when it's called for - I've always struggled with that. I'm strugglin' with it now! It's certainly one of my top five Achilles' heels!

…but I'm gonna prevail!

last edited on July 30, 2013 9:27AM
Call Me Tom at 12:03PM, July 30, 2013
(offline)
Well Banes if you can't be assertive you can always do what I do and be very VERY annoying!
I'm sorry for any offence I cause.
Banes at 4:46PM, July 30, 2013
(offline)
@Call Me Tom -
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A worthy skill in itself!

HippieVan at 5:14PM, July 30, 2013
(online)
@Banes: I don't have anything to add to the serious side of the conversation here, but when I'm sick or very anxious I always watch Napoleon Dynamite.
I've seen the first half of it way more times than the second half because I often fall asleep halfway through. : )

On the other hand, if I'm feeling more moderately anxious or upset I like to go in the other direction and watch political commentary shows. I find that getting myself wound up about other people's problems instead of my own helps me feel better.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Banes at 12:45PM, July 31, 2013
(offline)
@HippieVan - I hear you, and that makes sense!

I got my DD Awards assignments yesterday…hey, have you all volunteered yet? There are openings for presenters and I think judges, still!

Volunteer: Make a 'toon smile!

bravo1102 at 6:22PM, July 31, 2013
(offline)
Well another chapter in my life has ended. And a new adventure is about to begin. There is relief that something dark has passed and anticipation of what is to come. It is promising. Now if I could just get motivated to shoot more pictures for the comic BECAUSE I'M ALMOST OUT OF BUFFER! EEEEEK!

Judge, never have enough judges for these awards things. More importantly with all the nomination Death P0rn got, volunteer to ensure this year's DD Awards does not become the Death P0rn Appreciation Show!
Lonnehart at 10:36PM, July 31, 2013
(online)
eeeberrrr eeeberrr yaaablllll yaaablll….
er… um…
nevermind. still recovering from this morning. Got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning and nearly knocked myself out (my bed is against the wall)…
Lessee… something else…

Y'know? I watch some Japanese Super Robot (think Superhero, but as a Robot… Tranzor/Mazinger Z is one such example) shows and I'm annoyed with two things.

1. IF there are female super robots in the show, they're mostly ineffectual and useless… especially if their pilot is the girlfriend of the main hotblooded male hero. And in Tranzor Z this is glaringly apparent… Tranzor Z is armed with an amazing variety of weaponry, such as Rocket Fists, a weapon that fires missiles like a gatling gun, a chest emblem that melts enemies and a tornado that the Tranzor Z spits out that rusts enemies to death. The weapon the female super robot has? Chest Missiles. And only TWO of them…

2. They're “hypersexualized” to accentuate them being female. These may or may not have actual fantastic weapons, but if there's a male Super Robot as a protagonist, she'll never be on even par with him.

Funny thing is this… the character Airachnid from Transformers Prime. I admire that bot because she's the most ruthless, evil female robot out there. Commits genocide for kicks, has no problem with slow torture and slowly killing anyone or anything. Then again, her character design is an indicator of her personality (her design is based on that evil queen from the Snow White movie).

And then there's Neon Genesis Evangelion's Asuka Langely Sohryu. Completely arrogant about her piloting skills on the outside, but inside she's as messed up as the male protagonist, all coming to a head when her mind is invaded by one of the aliens and she's forced to face that part of herself… Keep in mind that this anime series was made when its creator was having a very bad bout of depression…
last edited on July 31, 2013 10:46PM
Ozoneocean at 1:35AM, Aug. 1, 2013
(online)
Bravo, you sound like a cicada that's just come out of hibernation… :)

Lonne… Asuka is such an irritating character… Actually ALL those Evangelion characters were irritating. Soooooo emo. But Shinji… oh man, worst character ever!
Best female character in anime and manga I can think of off the top of my head is Major Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell), be even in her case she's still a sexist trope- she's a cyborg but still her bod is always on show and her “being strong” is actually just her playing a masculine role.

Buuut, then the series IS aimed typically at males, so you expect that.

It's not a giant robo series either…
For Giant robo series, how about Patlabor? That has the trope of the small female who LUUURVS her big mecha robo and likes to tinker around fixing it, but I can't remember that being particularly sexist apart from that. She's a bit more able than most of the guys even!

Also, Miriya from Robotech 1, Dena from Robotech 2, and Rook from Robotech 3.
In those cases the female characters are pretty well done. Miriya has a failing in that she sort of plays second fiddle to Max after they're together and she falls for him so hard initially… but she's pretty badass generally.
Rook and Dena though are pretty perfect. They're kickarse, in charge, not all fan-servicey and half naked (though there IS specific bits of fanservice in the original Southern cross series), but they're still normal females- not simply female characters with masculine traits to make them seem “stronger”.
bravo1102 at 4:17AM, Aug. 1, 2013
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Bravo, you sound like a cicada that's just come out of hibernation… :)
Certainly feels that way. I was falsely accused of theft at the site, suspended for a week and then told there was no evidence for further dicipliary action but I could move to another site. It's a huge crock and stinks to high heaven. But after being on site for five years I had good rapport with the residents possibly better than the executive director. I knew her job was in jeopardy and knowing where all the bodies were buried I was a threat to her position. So I had to go. I have friends in the building so I'll be visiting them in the future but it's politics and the director had to make changes to secure herself so out I go. People are like that. Residents have offered to start a petition to keep me on and my wife and attorney think I should write the director and declare that it's just so wrong. But the whole point of being an executive is to act on a paranoid whim to get rid of especially competent employees who could make you look bad.

And the new site promises to be a lot better. It even might pay more.
Ozoneocean at 5:38AM, Aug. 1, 2013
(online)
Thanks for the expanded story! Sounds pretty bad but I'm glad you came out of it ok. Some peple are natural cocks… You should defiitely always tell it how it is I think.
Anyway, the old place didn't often treat you very well. They kept having you work at odd hours and massively long shifts… I hope the new place is way better.
Banes at 1:09PM, Aug. 1, 2013
(offline)
Bravo! so sorry to hear what you've been going through. Sounds like you've handled it like a champion, and I hope the new place works out better.

Lonnehart at 1:25PM, Aug. 1, 2013
(online)
Wow…. so now you have to be wary of your boss as he/she has only their personal intrests in mind… I hope the new place works out well for you, Bravo.

Heh… learned a new term that describes a minority group in MMOs. These players are called Content Locusts.They're often the first players to be in the game when it comes out, blow through all the quests in record time and they also reach max level faster than the rest of the playerbase combined. And when they get to the end the complain loudly that there's nothing there. And they definitely are loud… they post more on their game forum than anyone else. And they can be dangerous to a game company.

Blizzard made the mistake of trying to satisfy this minority by turning up the difficulty level of WoW. This resulted in a large chunk of its playerbase leaving… this large chunk being comprised of players who were still moving through the content, or beginners who just started the game after the change was made.

Blizzard has the resources to withstand something like this, so they reset the difficulty levels to normal with another patch. Lesson learned the hard way…
Ozoneocean at 9:56PM, Aug. 1, 2013
(online)
I lost an ebay auction for a sabertache… it was a good price and I was the first bidder, but the bastards got in and jacked the price up. But I had a small measure of revenge- even though the price went above what I was willing to pay at the end, I still kept bidding it right up anyway, hoping to make his victory as dear as possible! :)

It's a tricky game though, you don't want to accidentally win it and end up owing a mint. Tricky, but fun! ^_^

Still need a good sabertache though, but I think I can make a better one myself. Antiques are all very well, but no good if you're afraid of damaging them.
Lonnehart at 4:18AM, Aug. 2, 2013
(online)
A… Sabretache? Heh… never heard of that piece of fashion. First thing that came to mind was the Walrustache that Jamie from Mythbusters apparently wears… though that's not a piece of fashion…
bravo1102 at 4:33AM, Aug. 2, 2013
(offline)

Sabertache is a kind of dcoument bag carried by certain cavalry soldiers and later exclusively officers. The second image is from a 90mm miniature that stands about four inches tall. (Life Guards ca 1850) Good old Shepard Paine the true master. I gave up on having full sized, it's so much easier to paint a miniature. Shep Paine has acquired a huge collection of the real thing over the years mostly as payment for figure commisions.

Rather than ebay why not try the reinactor suppliers? like:http://en.empirecostume.com/sabretache-empire-c140.htm
If I had the spare time I'd probably be a reinactor. But alas I don't.
last edited on Aug. 2, 2013 4:40AM
Ozoneocean at 6:06AM, Aug. 2, 2013
(online)
Because reenactor supplies are WAAAAAYYYYY too expensive! If you know where to look you can get the real antique stuff for a fraction of the cost of re-production stuff generally, but it depends on on type of object.
A genuine antique sabertache with that sort of decoration can be worth several thousand dollars… The one I was bidding for was the simple leather type with a metal decoration on the cover, that was relatively cheap.

I have patterns for the real thing though and I have the skill, the reference, the smarts, and knowledge of where to get the supplies to make my own elaborate style one though… But as you say the limiting factor is TIME!
Heh, I'm no re-enactor , I just love the outfit. Renacting is great, but those guys like to be historically correct to specific units and things. I like to have authentic stuff, never some modern reinterpretation, but not conforming exactly to any specific actual unit.
bravo1102 at 7:44AM, Aug. 2, 2013
(offline)
The really super awesome cool is when you go to a show and in walks in a completely authentic Hussar of the 4th Hussars circa 1809. The jaw drops and you take all kinds of pictures becuase it's amazing how the stuff is worn as opposed to how figures are sculpted. Then there's the two Hessian officers just strolling down the street in Colonial Williamsberg talking in German. They were doing officers on parole during Lafyette's occupation of Williamsberg. And I admonished them for swearing auf deutsch in front of a little kid. They were amazed that some tourist not only understood German but could identify their regiments.

I've been to some the largest reinactments and talked to the people and gotten a great feeling for the life that a representation of generic uniform just can't match. But then I'm a uniform geek who knows what differentiates a French hussar in 1809 from one in 1778 or even 1805. At the Battle of Monmouth Courthouse reinactment it was neat to see the British Dragoons and the Loyalist Dragoons and the one guy going his own way doing a Brunswicker Jaeger. I was the only one in the audience who ided his uniform.

The thing that makes the repro stuff so expensive is all the embroidery. Considering they are still issued to the mounted Guard regiments for changing of the guard at Westminster finding a relatively recent one second hand is not that hard or expensive. And they were still manufactured as late as the 1960's for cavalry officer full dress (I have a book on the British cavalry regiments circa 1973 with all the full dress uniforms. Only the Royal Tank Regiment didn't have a full dress that was frozen at the turn of the 20th Century. They had a simple blue and black tunic with hat)
cool youtube video with the Russian TV report on the reinactment of the Battle of Borodino in 2012.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hZUxHBsnhw

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon