Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA! 2013/2014
Ozoneocean at 7:47AM, Aug. 2, 2013
(online)
Nice examples BTW!
Sabretaches are funny things… Basically a very flat ceremonial document case for maps, orders, that sort of thing. But very silly, hugely expensive, and impractical. Buuuut they look really cool even so.

Just another element in the asymmetrical wonder of the ideal hussar ensemble that goes to prove that symmetry is NOT the whole story when it comes to beauty or artistic appeal.
bravo1102 at 8:12AM, Aug. 2, 2013
(offline)
There were some that were just flat pieces of cheap leather stiffened with cardboard with a simple purse and document pocket sewn onto the other flap. The insignia was painted or even printed on the outside or white cutout number was glued on. Super cheap. Just like people don't realize shakos were often made out of felt covered cardboard with the insignia crudely cast metal or just a piece of cloth (the cockade) sewn on. And you see the sagging piece of garbage they turned into in the Sharpe series.

The plumes were often paper or sewn cloth, not feathers or plumes. Sometimes big plumes were no more than furry bags stuffed with rags.
Ozoneocean at 9:36AM, Aug. 2, 2013
(online)
Yeah, during the Napoleonic war there were a lot of poor officers on all sides of the conflict so even after the war they couldn't afford full dress and hand-me-downs only spread so far.

While there was that rougher aspect, and that has always been a part of every conflict from Greek Hoplites, to French knights, to waffen SS - in crappy muddy stained poorly fitting makeshift stuff and that does have it's own sort of appeal, there was also always the ideal as well and THAT is what appeals to me. ^_^

Even though it can be so unatainable.
last edited on Aug. 2, 2013 10:24AM
gullas at 10:47AM, Aug. 2, 2013
(offline)
Tell me ozone, was there a server change or something? I feel like the site is reloading WAY faster than usually, and everything seems to be running smoothly…hopefully I didn't jinx it by mentioning it….
Lonnehart at 3:00PM, Aug. 2, 2013
(online)
Ugh… so those are Sabretaches. Sorry, when I see the “tache” I think of hair on the face… -_-

Just curious about something. What do you call a return policy like this? Where you can return a defective product to a store for a refund or another item like it, except that it must not be opened or they will not accept it?
last edited on Aug. 2, 2013 6:14PM
Lonnehart at 10:39PM, Aug. 5, 2013
(online)
No new posts for a few days? Gotta love the MMORPG called “Real Life”. It's very addicting. :)
Ozoneocean at 7:39AM, Aug. 6, 2013
(online)
hahaha! It took me a while to get that :)

Of, they just all bugger off because they hate us and they wanna be on Facebook or Tublr or instagram or something instead. :(

Listen to the Quackcast!!!!!
http://www.drunkduck.com/quackcast/
Lonnehart at 2:30AM, Aug. 8, 2013
(online)
Wow… a lot of MMORPGs have gone “Free to Play”. And that worries me…

Too many games could oversaturate the market, and there'd be problems with that. Well… a former developer of Dark Age of Camelot predicts this anyway, and says that Pay to Play games will win out. But with the economy the way it is, not a lot of people can afford to spend $15 a month on an online game.

*sigh* So the DrunkDuck has his own Facebook and Twitter page? It must be a sign of the times. Next thing we know, there'll be no more webcomics… they'll all be replaced by Web Animations. Or Cartoons and Animated Shows made using easy to use Software.

Waitaminute! That might be a good thing. maybe….
Ozoneocean at 9:13AM, Aug. 8, 2013
(online)
Oh, DD has had it's own Facebook and Twitter pages for Aaaaages, plus G+ and Tumblr… Live Journal too.

Not many people really interact with those either though, not regularly anyway. DD is flattening…

As the old gaurd naturally leave, there are no new people to replace them because signups are always so screwy here, and so much needs fixing so it's hard for new people to find and contribute to the forums.
Plus the deadness is a vicious cycle. People don't won't to really be part of a ghost town.

If the place was fixed then we could rebuild… But, it's just us stubborn ones hanging on. I'm still putting almost the same amount of work into the sight as I was two years ago though…
So it's pretty demorralising to see work go for nothing, especially when it's not even that fun or interesting. The only real fun I get is doing the actual Quackcasts…

-Not organising them or editing them or doing the notes and all that running around, which takes many hours- the actualy calls themselves.
It's the most active part of the main admin side of the site… If I had my way the latest quackcasts would have a permenant player+playlist on the front page.
Call Me Tom at 3:07PM, Aug. 9, 2013
(offline)
I picked up a copy of the original Evil Dead in my local newspaper shop, I can't say what it is but something is a little off about that.
I'm sorry for any offence I cause.
Ozoneocean at 10:45PM, Aug. 9, 2013
(online)
Demons.

——

Tonight I record the Drunkcast with Banes, Pitface and Tantz. This is the scene I envisage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqmJEA8Id28
Gunwallace at 3:28PM, Aug. 10, 2013
(offline)
Every now and then I like to rant about something …
http://someonewrotethat.blogspot.co.nz/2013/08/the-tragic-tale-of-anthony-jeselnik.html
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
Lonnehart at 9:47PM, Aug. 10, 2013
(online)
Finally found the name of the Star Trek episode that made me wonder…. it was called “Let That Be Your Last Battlefield”. Features two members of an alien race that came from a nearly destroyed planet. They were one color on one side, and one color on the other, but on opposite sides. And they hated each other A LOT. How much? Thanks to their hate they're the only two aliens left. Despite Captain Kirk's pleas for them to stop, they kept fighting. One of them escaped back to his world, and the other pursued him…

So I knew then. Hate is illogical and a waste of energy. Energy that could've been used for other things. LIKE PLAYING VIDEO GAMES AND DRAWING WEBCOMICS!!! :D

Oh… and John Carpenter's “The Thing”… That scene where someone's head rolled onto the floor, then sprouted legs and eyestalks is burnt into my brain. Along with that real world experience of me on the job finding two guys going at it like rabbits…. X_X
Ozoneocean at 9:35PM, Aug. 12, 2013
(online)
@Gunwalace- I don't see why anyone could be upset… we all know that New Zealanders aren't really people, don't we? :)
-
Naw, the guy sounds like a prize tool.

————–

@Lonne-
Speaking of finally finding out names of things… I finally found out the name of a song I've been looking for for freaking decades!!!!!!
Gah!
It was one of those things I heard on the radio a lot as a kid and I LOVED, but have since not been able to find, because they don't play it anymore and the bloody song title appears nowhere in the lyrics AND the song title is the same as the more popular and well known Sting song anyway…
Annnd it doesn't really have a memorable chorus except “No way street”, which to a decades old memory sounds like “wrong way street” or “one way street”, and those lyrics are in a LOT of songs…

So anyway, the song is “An Englishman in New York” by Godly and Creme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQr6FYFEjI8

Love it. Makes me think of tall buildings, long straight, wide roads, and flashing signs. Very retro urban sound.
Lonnehart at 11:46PM, Aug. 12, 2013
(online)
Heh… It's funny how years later we want to see something again, but we never find out the name of the work. Right now I'm looking for an orchestral instrumental type song… At first I thought it was from Chariots of Fire, but found out it isn't, though they do sound similar. Then I was told it was a theme for the Thornbirds, but no luck there. Oh, well… I'll just keep looking…

Decided to go back into Champions Online to see what's going on and I find out to my dismay that… my character Hanna C.U.F.S. (Cybernetic Unit Frontline Soldier) still attracts attention wherever she goes….

Like Pinky TA she uses guns. Unlike Pinky TA she doesn't pilot mechs… she's PART mech! :)
last edited on Aug. 13, 2013 1:33AM
HippieVan at 8:21PM, Aug. 13, 2013
(online)
Again on the topic of finding names for things, do any of you know the name/artist of this image? I thought it was Da Vinci, but I can't seem to find it among his works.
I've had it forever, and then I went away for a few days and came back to find it on my desk half bunny-eaten. Kind of annoying that the pet sitter didn't even mention that it happened, but in any case I want to replace it.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Ozoneocean at 9:47PM, Aug. 13, 2013
(online)
I would guess Davinci too. It looks like a cartoon, and from the hat it's a pope or a cardinal…?
The mitre (hat) is very simple so I will guess it's for a cardinal.

From a whole lot of Google searches I found nothing… BUT popes and cardinals are pretty much always clean shaven (the reformationists are more likely to be bearded I think), so this guy is either a self portrait in a fancy hat or it's one of those old bearded homeless type characters that the renaissance artists loved to draw!

I'm sure Bravo could have a better perspective on it than me.

——–

@ Lonne - That character still looks great. Would be a good new police uniform!
Ozoneocean at 6:47AM, Aug. 14, 2013
(online)
Bishops and saints wear the mitre too… St Patrick is frequently drawn with a beard but I couldn't find any pics of him like that- his mitre is more decorated usually.

It LOOKs more and more like a Raphael study to me, Raphael has pics very much like that from that same angle… just not THAT one that I can find. Very taxing puzzle Hippy!!!!!
bravo1102 at 2:26PM, Aug. 14, 2013
(offline)
Bishop Saint in Prayer, 152830
Parmigianino (Girolamo Francesco Maria Mazzola) (Italian, Parma, 15031540)
Bearded churchmen were common during the 16th Century. In fact beards in general were common during the 16th Century. Among clerics it was an apostolic look. Humanists and scholars shaved not bishops.
Saint Peter could be shown in a mitre as Bishop of Rome so it could be a study of an apostle, but it could just be a generic saintly bearded bishop like the sketch above. All church fathers were depicted in beards and a lot of them were bishops so its a long list.
HippieVan at 3:12PM, Aug. 14, 2013
(online)
Well darn, I may just have to try to patch it up as well as I can. I never realized it was such an obscure image. Thanks for trying to help though, you two!

We have a hedge full of delicious berries around my yard but we have no idea what they're actually called, so my little sister and I have taken to calling them Boosh berries. The other day we made jam and painted Mighty Boosh-themed jars. : )

I tried to edit together a picture of mine here, but it is hard to capture a whole jar.

Lonnehart at 6:12PM, Aug. 14, 2013
(online)
That jam looks tasty! If it wasn't for my Diabetes (type 2), I'd ask for a jar. T_T

I hope next time you leave your place for a couple of days that you at least encase that image in glass. Or put it in a steel box just in case your bunnies can eat glass without any ill effects. Yep… some animals chew on things for one reason or another. Such as that one part in an animal rescue show on Animal Planet where a pit bull was quite willing to chew on the bars of his cage (these were very THICK bars) while inside the animal control truck to go after the dog in the cage next to him… he was quite a mess when they pulled him out.

As for Hannah C.U.F.S., I thought I'd show off her arsenal with more current screenshots. And maybe later I'll show off her alternate costume (now that I have an extra costume slot for her).

She also uses Frag and Smoke grenades, but those are hard to show off…
last edited on Aug. 14, 2013 6:21PM
HippieVan at 8:11PM, Aug. 14, 2013
(online)
Lonnehart wrote:
That jam looks tasty! If it wasn't for my Diabetes (type 2), I'd ask for a jar. T_T

I hope next time you leave your place for a couple of days that you at least encase that image in glass. Or put it in a steel box just in case your bunnies can eat glass without any ill effects.
My bunnies are pretty determined chewers, but fortunately they can't handle glass. They also don't have any interest in it - I think they are mostly drawn to natural or seemingly-natural materials like wood, cardboard, wicker, wires, etc. And old art prints with which my dad had entrusted me. : (
Ozoneocean at 4:38AM, Aug. 15, 2013
(online)
That jam jar looks incredible Hippie! You captured Noel Fielding's style perfectly!
Yum…

———

Nice weapon supply Lonne!
Artists need to come up with a better mounting solution for Gatling guns though. For some unknown reason they're always shown being held like that, but that would be absolutely impossible.
-Even if you were strong enough to carry one along with full ammo (which no one is), the recoil would be so massive that it would rocket back and fire uncontrollably in every direction, like a firehose with no fireman on the end… They've given no way to brace against the recoil, it just hangs…

If I were ever to design a game, do a film, or comic with one of those guns being held like that I would have the firer being thrown around like a ragdoll and the gun spinning off into a ditch and cutting down telephone-poles and tress at random :)
ayesinback at 5:11PM, Oct. 10, 2013
(online)
Nice to see you've recovered from the hangover, you very Drunk Duck
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
HippieVan at 5:50PM, Oct. 10, 2013
(online)
*Gasp!* Ducky is back! We need to have some kind of party.

Thank you so much to JNP and our friend from Comic Rocket!
JustNoPoint at 8:34PM, Oct. 10, 2013
(online)
I have a new found hatred for all you people after this project :)
Anubis at 11:22PM, Oct. 10, 2013
(offline)
Awww you love me, I know you do
JustNoPoint wrote:
Ozoneocean at 1:58AM, Oct. 11, 2013
(online)
Such great work by JNP!!!!!!!
gullas at 5:38AM, Oct. 12, 2013
(offline)
JustNoPoint wrote:
And I would be mad if you didn't ;)
Ozoneocean at 7:43AM, Oct. 12, 2013
(online)
I missed you Gullas :)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon