Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA! 2013/2014
Lonnehart at 2:32PM, Feb. 10, 2014
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
I just looked up Michiko to Hatchin and the art really does look spectacular. Although, guessing from the costume design, it looks like it is aimed at a male audience. It looks good, nonetheless. I enjoy anime when it goes deeper than the random gag comedy (which is fine for those times you just want to unwind). But the last series I really took seriously and watched from beginning to end was Welcome to the NHK (2006). I like the loose art style and social commentary on the dangers of a reclusive personality.

I prefer comedy anime myself. It does things you don't see in American comedies… such as the “facefault” (someone does something so random that everyone falls over in a fixed position… or just literally fall on their face… or something like that). I probably like Drama too but don't watch a lot of it. It's probably old, but if you haven't watched it I recommend Ai Yori Aoshi. Basically a story about a couple who want to marry things like “family obligations” and “rivals” for the male lead's affections hold them back. The one thing that got me (and I wonder how true this is in Japan) is the abuse the male lead suffers from his Grandfather. Apparently the family didn't like his mother, and when she died (along with her husband in an accident) the boy is heavily abused in order to fill in as the family heir (I say “heavily” because he still bears the horrific scars on his back).
last edited on Feb. 10, 2014 2:56PM
Ozoneocean at 9:11PM, Feb. 10, 2014
(online)
I like anime comedys a whole lot, but the cliches so many of them use get too intolerable after a while. Even the the ones that specifically SPOOF the cliches like Cat Planet Cuties, which was a brilliant, enjoyable, silly ecchi comedy, can get just as tiresome.

Man, awkward morning at work! The net was down so I was helping to try and see if I could fix it… by making this worse. :(
I lost the other end of a cable behind a fricken SAFE! Omfg. The damn thing hooked itself in down there, and there was no possible way to move the safe out from the wall to get the cable. Using a bent out coathanger I eventually fished it out.
Then as I was holding the transformer plug thing for the router, a partition fell on my hand and knocked it to the ground. It cracked the case badly. SO embarrasing!!!!
Still works thank god but I don't think it's very safe like that. What a morning. :/

Ruining my rep as a whiz at all technical things. T_T
kawaiidaigakusei at 1:36PM, Feb. 11, 2014
(online)
Ah, those transformer plugs are replaceable. At least you were innovative with the coat hanger fishing.

A newspaper article just mentioned that the 1930s fashion will be all the rage in the upcoming Fall of 2014. I always associate that decade with the Great Depression and a predecessor of WWII. Vintage clothing and accessories can look so stylish when done right. Maybe it is time for me to buy that charcoal coloured, 100% wool, wide-brim floppy hat I always wanted!
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
HippieVan at 5:04PM, Feb. 11, 2014
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
A newspaper article just mentioned that the 1930s fashion will be all the rage in the upcoming Fall of 2014. I always associate that decade with the Great Depression and a predecessor of WWII. Vintage clothing and accessories can look so stylish when done right. Maybe it is time for me to buy that charcoal coloured, 100% wool, wide-brim floppy hat I always wanted!
Any trend that involved hats is A-OK by me!

There's this beautiful hat in a shop downtown that I've been lusting after for a while, and I just found out today that my ISIC gets me a 20% discount at said shop! I might just have to go see how much it is tomorrow. It's not really 1930s style, though. It's a deep red colour with a navy band around the bottom, and it gets wider at the top.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Ozoneocean at 9:25PM, Feb. 11, 2014
(online)
A lot of fashion influence is cyclical to an amazing degree, it's mathamatical:
The fashion of decade A is extremely passe in decade B, but it retro cool again in decade C.
But that's also heavily cumlative so that:
G = A + C + E
and H = B + D + F
i.e. a decade comes back along with the decade that insipired it and the decade that inspired that one etc.

Of course it's not THAT clean cut because we're humans not machines and there are many other variables, especially current pop-culture forces as well as the remaining influence from the previous decade, which is not ALWAYS entirely passe. Plus, decades are arbitrary :)
The ‘20s influenced the ’40s, both influenced the ‘60s, all influnenced the ’80s, which infleunced the 2000s.
The 1910s infleunced the 1930s, then the ‘50s, then the ’70s, then the 90s, then 2010s…

The pattern works because it's how long it takes for us to get tired of something and for enough new people to come along and “rediscover” something from the past that they haven't expereinced themselves, the “decade” thing is just a rough way of demarking time it takes for that process to happen.
Using that framework you could make designs that would be calulated to stay ahead of the curve, in a rather safe way: Take what's popular now and modify it using traits from the decade before and then you have the fashion for the NEXT decade. For extra point revive styles from alternating past decades and you have cutting edge.
kawaiidaigakusei at 11:22PM, Feb. 11, 2014
(online)
That is such an insightful observation about the decade fashion trends. It also explains why my mom and I do not see eye-to-eye on the latest styles because she experienced it and I am only being introduced to it for the first time. When I was really young, I thought that all the cool teenagers in high school dressed in these sweaters:

Then when I finally was a high school student, no one dressed like that. It was somewhat disappointing–everything I believed was a lie.

Is anyone watching the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics? Aside from the hilarious blogs on the accomodations, it is pretty entertaining and I am really enjoying it this year. There is this sport called the Biathlon where cross country skiers carry shotgun rifles on their back and need to shoot .22mm at different stations down the hill. I thought that sort of trick only happened in spy movies.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Feb. 12, 2014 12:37AM
HippieVan at 4:01PM, Feb. 12, 2014
(online)
HippieVan wrote:

There's this beautiful hat in a shop downtown that I've been lusting after for a while, and I just found out today that my ISIC gets me a 20% discount at said shop! I might just have to go see how much it is tomorrow. It's not really 1930s style, though. It's a deep red colour with a navy band around the bottom, and it gets wider at the top.
SAD. I went and looked at this hat close up today, and the bit that I thought was navy blue was actually a satiny purple. Yuck.

Came home today to find a creepy guy trying to get into my house. He asked if my dad was home (I look young) and if he could come in. I said no, obviously, and went around to the back of the house. I saw him watching from the front gate as I was going around the corner. Only to find that I couldn't get into the back door, because we're halfway through changing the locks and I didn't have the right key for it. Pretty scary moment before I realized that my little sister was home and I called her to come let me in. Apparently he had been pulling on the door for a couple of minutes, despite our german shepherd barking at him the whole time.
Ozoneocean at 7:16PM, Feb. 12, 2014
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
That is such an insightful observation about the decade fashion trends. It also explains why my mom and I do not see eye-to-eye on the latest styles because she experienced it and I am only being introduced to it for the first time. When I was really young, I thought that all the cool teenagers in high school dressed in these sweaters:
Thanks, it's a theory I worked on for a while. I was trying to work out why things kept on reacurring in a pattern and why much older fashions kept showing up as well in a simmilar ecchoing pattern… I'd write a paper on it but I HATE researching sources T_T
Bravo can do that for me. :)

Yeah, those jumpers… Bill Cosby, early saved by the Bell etc. That's early '90s I think? They gave people a rather unfortunate, sloppy silhoette. XD

That ski shoot reminds me off James Bond. The Spy Who Loved Me, with Roger Moore I think. Makes me think of Swiss hunting or something but it was probably the various Alpine armies that created the sport.
HippieVan wrote:

Came home today to find a creepy guy trying to get into my house. He asked if my dad was home (I look young) and if he could come in. I said no, obviously, and went around to the back of the house. I saw him watching from the front gate as I was going around the corner. Only to find that I couldn't get into the back door, because we're halfway through changing the locks and I didn't have the right key for it. Pretty scary moment before I realized that my little sister was home and I called her to come let me in. Apparently he had been pulling on the door for a couple of minutes, despite our german shepherd barking at him the whole time.
That is terrifying Hippie! I'm glad about the happy ending though.
Farrrk… Stay safe!

————-

I was going pretty deaf from some impacted wax in my ears… Gross gross gross, but I actually like being a little deaf. It's really comforting to shut off sensory input. My hearing has been bad for about a month, which I loved. But yesterday it got to the stage where all I could hear from the right ear was a high pitched tone and it was driving me mad. So I used oil and an ear syringe and fixed it all up.
But now I hear perfectly and every little sound is so LOUD! And sharp. Even a day later. Maybe I'll get ear plugs…
kawaiidaigakusei at 8:18PM, Feb. 12, 2014
(online)
Hippie- Discretely take a photo or video footage of the trespasser if he shows up again so you have something to report to the neighborhood watch. Surveillance technology can be beneficial to keep us safe because strangers are pretty scary.
And incorrect hat colors: I ordered a dark grey knitted slouched beanie hat that took nearly five weeks to arrive by mail. It ended up being a Violet Shade 2, and it does not coordinate with my outfits thanks to my sensitivity to color hues. That is why I would rather crochet my own beanies with yarn I pick out so I know it will be the right color.

Oz- You cleaned your ears out yourself with oil? You are brave. I like to remove my glasses to decrease with my sense of sight because I am near sighted. It helps with making eye contact and makes facial complexions look a lot smoother.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
HippieVan at 8:39PM, Feb. 12, 2014
(online)
Good advice, kawaii! Neighbourhood watch isn't really a thing here, but my dad ended up calling the police and they came by a while later. The guy was long gone by then, but I gave them a description and they said they'd have a drive around and look for him. I was a bit hesitant about calling the police initially (I was worried they would think it was silly), but they were very nice and helpful although they couldn't do much.

It's unlikely that he'll come back, though. I live in a very middle-middle class neighbourhood, if that makes sense. Not fancy at all, but no crime really. But there are nearby neighbourhoods that are a bit rougher, and every so often someone seems to wander into our area. I feel bad for the people who live with that stuff all the time. :/

kawaii wrote:
And incorrect hat colors: I ordered a dark grey knitted slouched beanie hat that took nearly five weeks to arrive by mail. It ended up being a Violet Shade 2, and it does not coordinate with my outfits thanks to my sensitivity to color hues. That is why I would rather crochet my own beanies with yarn I pick out so I know it will be the right color.

Haha, I'm glad you understand. I told my family about this all disappointed and they were like “the band was purple instead of blue? So what?” but it totally matters.
I almost wonder if I could make a hat like this myself. It was basically just a modified pillbox hat. I don't really have the time, though, unfortunately.
Ozoneocean at 8:45PM, Feb. 12, 2014
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
Oz- You cleaned your ears out yourself with oil? You are brave. I like to remove my glasses to decrease with my sense of sight because I am near sighted. It helps with making eye contact and makes facial complexions look a lot smoother.
Olive oil to loosen matter, leave it in for an hour with cotton wool plugging the hole. Then use repeated aplication of a rubber ear syringe filled with very warm water: the ear you're working on should be facing down. The preasure of the liquid should be gentle and constant each time. Flush it harder if nothing much happens.

The only time it didn't work was on the eve of a trip to Bali… I had a sudden block due to a sinus issue and I was worried that the cabin preasure in the aeroplane would make it much, much worse, so I was desperate to clear it! The flight was mere hours away.
I rushed the job and was stuck with really painful ears for a while. The warm humid air and warm salty water in Bali made me feel a bit better about it though.

With the eye thing, I notice that too- When I wear smeared up foggy glasses the world looks WAAAAY better and more bearable, people look better too. It's a good analogue for drug (some) taking in a way: you distort or reduce the efficacy of external sensory input and pad your brain against the world. Your brain really loves the rest you give it, not just all that euphoria crap people focus on.
last edited on Feb. 12, 2014 8:55PM
Lonnehart at 12:13AM, Feb. 13, 2014
(online)
Well, finally have ALL my bad teeth out of my mouth. I went to the dentist earlier today and they pulled out quite a few. I can come back in a week or two and start the process of strengthening the teeth that are left so I can wear prosthetics. Just one problem…

Among the teeth pulled are my two front teeth. I'm gonna end up talking weird for a while. I'll do my very best to avoid using the Filipino accent when saying any word with the letter “F” in it… we Filipinos us the “P” sound instead… well, Tagalog speakers use it (the language of my family). Heh… I scare my cousins sometimes because I speak English near perfectly enough to make them question whether I'm really related to them or not… Maybe I'll use that Chiclets gum to temporarily replace my two front teeth… hmm…

Maybe when I get those prosthetics I can finally pust a pic of myself. And in the process of doing so I'll give every woman who sees it nightmares… T_T
last edited on Feb. 13, 2014 12:29AM
lba at 7:42PM, Feb. 13, 2014
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:

lba wrote:
I would highly advise staying out of pepper spray range. At least beyond 10 meters you're only going to potentially get hit with bean bags and CS tear gas, which are way less horrible and don't last half as long unless you get hit really bad.

I missed your post before!
They say that coating yourself with oil based stuff like vasaline is the best protection. Also better for cleaning.
Buuuut you don't want to make yourself too flamable in those situations… D:
There's no way I'd want to test it though! Ow!
That helps some, but they designed that shit with things like that in mind. That's why we have oil based versions of it too. We've largely stopped using the oil-based stuff because of the fire hazard though. Tasers and oil don't mix too well. It goes everywhere too. Part of why we do it to ourselves is that when you deploy OC, you're pretty likely to get a shot of it yourself in the process.

@lba- Your super human training course sounds intense. Did you get sprayed in the face with OC pepper spray a third time or is this the same instance from page 35 of this thread? Also, how did the taser exercise go?
Third time. I did a week long training program with one of the basic training classes here, doing platoon level ops with the privates and they had to get it done, so as a good leader showing them that we take everything they take and more, I did it again too. It keeps getting worse every time. I went on a 4 mile run with their drill sergeants the next morning, just to keep them in shock and awe of their NCO's and officers. Because I'm an officer I do everything horrible twice as many times as anyone else to sort of prove the impression that officers are demi-god-like beings.

We do it because the Army has this theory that if you're going to do it to another human being, you should know what it feels like yourself. I don't disagree with that, but that doesn't change how much it sucks. The Army pounds on their MP soldiers. In combat zones, we're the most heavily engaged and second most combat-injured branch of the military behind the engineers because of what we do. We train all the local cops wherever the military goes and we're often used as a form of heavy, fast-moving infantry. In garrison we're on a never-ending law and order mission where our life schedules change about once a month. I'm a reserve officer, so I really only train for the combat side, but the training is still designed to make sure that only the most dedicated and devoted people make it through and stick around. The idea is that since the MP's are supposed to be policing the rest of the military, we should be beyond reproach and setting the standard of what everyone is supposed to be. It's not uncommon for the pressure to break people.
The taser training isn't anywhere near as bad. It hurts like hell for about 5 seconds, and you lock up and fall over, then you're sore and occasionally twitchy for a half hour while your nervous system recovers, but at least the pain doesn't last for days. Since I'm the boss, I at least get the fun of watching the privates squeal and react when it happens to them right after they giggle at me being used as the demonstration. There's a really satisfying feeling of schaudenfreude when you get to watch a bunch of kids who just moments ago thought it was funny to watch the LT twitch realize just how much it actually sucks.
bravo1102 at 6:16AM, Feb. 14, 2014
(offline)
Because of my insightful nature and broad knowledge of human nature my supervisor is going to tap my knowledge to hone his interpersonal skills. I better make this sound good. Bad enough I got knocked out a decent schedule into “just filling in” and “work with the guy no one else likes” but now rather than get the good schedule and actually supervise I have to teach everyone else what I know. I've become a sage whose advice is sought. But not good enough to actually get promoted and do it but I train those around me and remain at the bottom of the pecking order. Life is suffering and people can act so funny so at least I'm entertained. Honestly I'd rather they didn't listen to me and toatlly screw up because is so much more entertaining for me than for them to follow my adice and something actually works.

All I can do is try. Okay Yoda, there is no try, there is only do. All I can do is to do as well as I can and hope my best is good enough. It never has been yet but there's always a first time. Tee-hee.
Banes at 8:49AM, Feb. 14, 2014
(offline)
Hey…I thought you WANTED to work with me bravo! Nobody there likes me? Oy, this is a tough pill to swallow…

Maybe the move is to push harder for your promotion, bravo. Still being a valuable, friendly guy (that's important and can keep a person employed), but more being seen being effective at your job (depending on what that looks like; I'm not totally sure what the job entails). If your boss is looking to you for advice, that sounds like a fantastic sign.

I just get the sense that you could get that promotion happening…it sounds like you want it.

And don't give away all your knowledge! I'm just recently figuring this out. You can be helpful and truthful without givin' away the whole farm! You gotta be working for yourself FIRST!

last edited on Feb. 14, 2014 8:54AM
HippieVan at 8:58AM, Feb. 14, 2014
(online)
Lonnehart wrote:
Among the teeth pulled are my two front teeth. I'm gonna end up talking weird for a while. I'll do my very best to avoid using the Filipino accent when saying any word with the letter “F” in it… we Filipinos us the “P” sound instead… well, Tagalog speakers use it (the language of my family). Heh… I scare my cousins sometimes because I speak English near perfectly enough to make them question whether I'm really related to them or not… Maybe I'll use that Chiclets gum to temporarily replace my two front teeth… hmm…

Lol at the chiclets gum! :P
Tagalog is the second most common first language where I live (before French, even!) and I've always thought it was a really neat accent.

Maybe when I get those prosthetics I can finally pust a pic of myself. And in the process of doing so I'll give every woman who sees it nightmares… T_T

I can't believe we've never seen a picture of you! In my head you just look like the guy in your avatar.

That guy who asked me to coffee ended up showing up 25 minutes late. WTF. Super embarrassing just sitting there. He let me know he was running late just prior to when we were supposed to meet, but still.
bravo1102 at 1:51PM, Feb. 14, 2014
(offline)
Banes wrote:
Hey…I thought you WANTED to work with me bravo! Nobody there likes me? Oy, this is a tough pill to swallow…
Id' do anything to be able to work with you Banes. This unlikable guy is similar to a guy I knwe years ago. Who took all those ensuing years to become tolerable.
If your boss is looking to you for advice, that sounds like a fantastic sign.

Not where I work. It could be the shuddering signal of DOOM.
And don't give away all your knowledge! I'm just recently figuring this out. You can be helpful and truthful without givin' away the whole farm!

I baffle them with the bull shit first. Honeslty what I know is so simple but so difficult to actually do. Such simple skills no one actually does. And very few do well. It too late for me to volunteer for Afghanistan?
kawaiidaigakusei at 10:42PM, Feb. 14, 2014
(online)
Lonnehart wrote:
Maybe I'll use that Chiclets gum to temporarily replace my two front teeth… hmm…
If you do that, you will be perpetuating the negative Asian stereotypes set up by Mr. Hashimoto in The Flintstones and Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's.
(Not that I don't watch those clips in my spare time and laugh)

lba wrote:
The taser training isn't anywhere near as bad. It hurts like hell for about 5 seconds, and you lock up and fall over, then you're sore and occasionally twitchy for a half hour while your nervous system recovers, but at least the pain doesn't last for days. Since I'm the boss, I at least get the fun of watching the privates squeal and react when it happens to them right after they giggle at me being used as the demonstration. There's a really satisfying feeling of schaudenfreude when you get to watch a bunch of kids who just moments ago thought it was funny to watch the LT twitch realize just how much it actually sucks.
Somehow, reading this whole description of you twitching while getting tasered and staring at your avatar of red caped bears flying in the clouds did not make sense. You are like this macho renegade by day and comic graphic artist by night–it just does not add up!! Actually, the whole tasering scenario would totally fit into your “Last Words” comic.

bravo1102 wrote:
I've become a sage whose advice is sought. But not good enough to actually get promoted and do it but I train those around me and remain at the bottom of the pecking order. Life is suffering and people can act so funny so at least I'm entertained. Honestly I'd rather they didn't listen to me and toatlly screw up because is so much more entertaining for me than for them to follow my advice and something actually works.
I would be cautious if the supervisor wants to know too much information. Banes is right, do not give away too much of your knowledge because that is what gives you an upperhand.
Bravo, you are a freaking genius, plus you have plenty of life experience working with all personality type from the military, that you are an asset to any workplace. If the boss does not notice your potential to promote you, then he is an idiot. And based on the small scale room models that you build for your comics, you could have a very lucrative career as a set designer for film, tv, and showrooms.

Oh yeah, my rant: I am saddened that Evgeni Plushenko had to drop out of the male figure skater competition because he was my favorite Olympian in Sochi this year.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Feb. 14, 2014 10:47PM
Ozoneocean at 10:56PM, Feb. 14, 2014
(online)
You sound like such a sergent type character Bravo :)

Speaking of that sort of thing, and lba made me think of it as well, I've done more reading about British officers during the Nepoleonic wars, French officers too.

They could purchase comissions up to Lieutenant colonel, then they could only be promoted by seniority, no mater how much merrit or influence they had, theoretically… BUT if you had a lot of influence or merrit then they'd promote every single officer who was ahead of you just so you could move up a rank!
-Wellington did skip a lot of people to be made a field marshal though.

The way they stopped the army being full of old codgers and useless idiots in the higher ranks, and also not going bankrupt by paying them all, was that only a few would be appointed to serve and only they would be paid. The rest would just sit at home showing off their ceremonial rank that'd just keep increasing as they aged. so you could die as a full general even if you never served as one.
There were probably more stay at home generals then there were ever serving ones! It gives a new perspective on historical novels from the 19th C by Jane Austin and the like. “retired military officer” meant something different then to what it does now.
It's facinating!

They certainly weren't all useless fools, but the system was geared to cronyisim and influence, not always much merrit. That's always the case in some ways with higher ranks universially though, especially in the comercial world.
last edited on Feb. 14, 2014 11:20PM
Lonnehart at 12:20AM, Feb. 15, 2014
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
Lonnehart wrote:
Maybe I'll use that Chiclets gum to temporarily replace my two front teeth hmm
If you do that, you will be perpetuating the negative Asian stereotypes set up by Mr. Hashimoto in The Flintstones and Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's.
(Not that I don't watch those clips in my spare time and laugh)
Okay…. I thought only Orientals get stereotyped that way. I could use candy corns instead, but that would be weird…

I notice that sometimes Drunk Duck is slow to respond. Is anything going on serverside?
last edited on Feb. 15, 2014 1:12AM
lba at 10:09AM, Feb. 15, 2014
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
lba wrote:

Somehow, reading this whole description of you twitching while getting tasered and staring at your avatar of red caped bears flying in the clouds did not make sense. You are like this macho renegade by day and comic graphic artist by night–it just does not add up!! Actually, the whole tasering scenario would totally fit into your “Last Words” comic.

I try to keep it the other way around honestly. I'd prefer to be known in the final balance as a graphic artist who happened to have served his time. There's a long line of comic artists and graphic designers who served their time in the military and then moved on to do great things elsewhere from the Monuments Men, to Jack Kirby and Joe Kubert. That's really more what I'm aiming for here. Modesty and probably reality dictate I acknowledge that I'm a hell of a better artist than soldier. I mainly ended up in the military because I needed money for school and I obsessively hunt good stories wherever I think I can find them and I just try to do the best job I can at it.

————————————–

And Bravo, have you ever made any indications you want the promotion? I know that used to be my big mistake when I worked for other people was that I didn't ever give any indication that I wanted to be promoted. So I got used as though I was this really helpful, but not terribly inspired or motivated employee and I was always stuck on the crappy shifts in place of people who were seemingly more motivated. Sometimes being nice and good at the job isn't enough to get you noticed.
last edited on Feb. 15, 2014 2:02PM
Niccea at 4:39PM, Feb. 15, 2014
(offline)
I'm having trouble finding the perfect routine that will allow me to continue on with my comic. At least, I have been able to get a diet and exercise routine going. Work has been exhausting, I already have been moved down from the position I was in October and now I'm back where I was. I walk around the salesfloor the entire day while answering questions and trying to be helpful to the management, but feeling like I'm at a deadend. At least, I didn't have to go back on to the phones. At least my husband is now certified to teacher and is looking for a new job.
bravo1102 at 4:07AM, Feb. 16, 2014
(offline)
I'm to much into self-sabotage. I get promoted I will do my darndest to screw it up.

As fr being a sergeant type? I was always more a Harper than a Sharpe. A supporting character in my own life story. You make the decisions and I'll implement them. Except when they're messed up. Then I'll improve upon you messed up ideas and give you the credit. I get passed over and it's my own fault because it's my greatest fear that someone will recognize what I can do and call me on it.

Anyone have $500 I could beg, borrow or steal? It's what is required to start the pre-development work on my movie project. I've researched it and it's the standard to get started. But I keep spending all my money on model kits, even money I don't have. Just a voracious appetite that way.
lba at 5:39PM, Feb. 16, 2014
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
I'm to much into self-sabotage. I get promoted I will do my darndest to screw it up.
As fr being a sergeant type? I was always more a Harper than a Sharpe. A supporting character in my own life story. You make the decisions and I'll implement them. Except when they're messed up. Then I'll improve upon you messed up ideas and give you the credit. I get passed over and it's my own fault because it's my greatest fear that someone will recognize what I can do and call me on it.

That's what sergeants are supposed to do. I get paid to use my brain and think up the plan, they get paid to use their brains and figure out how to make the plan happen. Officers come up with what, when, where and why. Sergeants come up with who and how and use their greater experience to double check the boss. If I expected my squad leaders to make the decisions and big decisions, I'd hand in my commission and go back to being an E-5 because it wouldn't be any different then.

I learned the hard way that you're only as capable as you imagine yourself to be man. I spent the better part of my teenage and 20-something years thus far self-sabotaging myself until I learned that occasionally it's ok to let that arrogant little part of your brain take over and say, “fuck yeah, I know I'm good at this shit! Now get out of my way and let me do my job.” You eventually rise to your own level of ambition and competence. It wasn't until I wound up in the army and away from the immense amount of talent I co-habitated my school with, that I realized just how capable and useful my particular skill set and way of thinking could be. If all you aspire to be is a sergeant who back checks their boss and makes the real work happen there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but if you want more, you have to aggressively follow it and not let you drag yourself down. As much as I hate sounding like the old cliche and I know personal change is hard as hell, if you know it's a problem for you, you've gotta make that change to move forward as a person.
Ozoneocean at 7:11PM, Feb. 16, 2014
(online)
Bravo, you're awesome and I respect you highly.
bravo1102 at 3:52AM, Feb. 17, 2014
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Bravo, you're awesome and I respect you highly.
Don't patronize me. ;-) Thanks man. The feeling is mutual. So when are we recording the second half of my Quackcast interview? (kidding, nothing could be worse programming than me trying to describe what I do.)

Everything went well and there was even a repeat performance the following day. Seems my advice was in accord with the two shift supervisors too. Fortunately there was also plenty of time to edit 20+ panels for the comic and put together four pages. And rewatch six hours of the Soviet WW2 epic Liberation and thenWhite Tiger. Yeah, plenty of down time at work.
Lonnehart at 12:34PM, Feb. 17, 2014
(online)
Wow… I feel so old. Heard this old song on the radio and looked it up. Hopefully it brings back memories for those of us who grew up in the '80s. :)

Alias- “Waiting for Love”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to0UO82kGtI

Now for something completely random…

I have this superheroine character in Champions Online named “Omega Soldier”. Her powers come from the power armor she wears. How did she get her power armor? Well…

It dropped off a speeding military truck right onto her flower garden, the crate containing it opening upon impact with the ground…
Something tells Sgt Bravo will have a few pokes at this type of superhero origin… O_O
last edited on Feb. 17, 2014 7:29PM
Banes at 9:24PM, Feb. 17, 2014
(offline)
Ah, Alias! The band that was created to capitalize on the one massive hit they had when they were in a band called “Sheriff”.

Slightly before my time, Sheriff was, but I remember when Alias appeared with several songs that sounded like “When I'm With You”

Let's sing it, everybody…

Baaaaayyyyybaaaayyyyeeeyaaaaaayyyyyeeeyayaaaa…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyIGlUoTh9I

last edited on Feb. 17, 2014 9:25PM
Ozoneocean at 11:56PM, Feb. 17, 2014
(online)
Hahaha! '80s power ballads LOL
Baaaaayybaayyyyyyeaaaahhhyeaaaah! That is Hillarious!
Those balads were like their hairstyles- They all aspired to be Robbert Plant while their songs all spired to be movie theme song power ballads. ^__^
Lonnehart at 12:23AM, Feb. 18, 2014
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Hahaha! '80s power ballads LOL
Baaaaayybaayyyyyyeaaaahhhyeaaaah! That is Hillarious!
Those balads were like their hairstyles- They all aspired to be Robbert Plant while their songs all spired to be movie theme song power ballads. ^__^
So that's what they're called? I learn something new every day.

Didn't like the Sheriff one so much. I guess I liked the one I posted better thanks to rhythm and how the guitars worked. Or maybe it's just because I think it sounds nice. :)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon