Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA! 2013/2014
Skullbie at 12:35AM, March 4, 2014
(online)
JoeL_CQB wrote:
i haven't been on here for like 5 years and its now empty.
We must have had the same idea to come back. I also haven't been on here in forever.
My rave: I'm getting a cintiq!
bravo1102 at 3:39AM, March 4, 2014
(offline)
JoeL_CQB wrote:
Quality of posts rather than quantity. If you want to learn all about hussar uniforms and movies we're the place to be.

Yeah you're right. Empty. Okay, fill it up. Can't have content unless people post. So post. Say something. Just so long as it's not about hussar uniforms or I swear I'll fill up an entire page going on about the evolution of the tight fit hussar uniform following the… oh never mind.

I'm back to some heavy duty model building and my hands are covered in paint. But it is freezing in NJ and the paint moves like molasses in January. I would post pictures but I really hate “in process” model pictures. I'd rather just build. Wish I could do somehting artistic and colorful but I'm just doing blah Bundeswehr Olivgrun. (read: any color you want as long as it's olive drab)
Ozoneocean at 10:38AM, March 4, 2014
(online)
Skullbie wrote:

JoeL_CQB wrote:
We must have had the same idea to come back. I also haven't been on here in forever.
My rave: I'm getting a cintiq!
Congrats on the Cintq Skull!!!
Good to see you and Joel again. :)

Yes, this place is quiet. It's not too user friendly and most people have moved on to social media as a way to rant and stay connected… Facebook and tumblr, twitter etc.
JoeL_CQB at 3:35PM, March 4, 2014
(online)
ha, i had forgotten my password for a while. and had ozone reset it.
also congrats on the cintiq, best investment.
Ozoneocean at 8:56PM, March 4, 2014
(online)
Wow, I failed on my quote there. :)

I've had migrains on and off for 4 days now, only really bad in the mornings till yesterday that was so bad I had to take the whole day off work. It came back again today in a weak form.
The trouble is that the painkillers have really fugged up my brain. I'm sitting on a cloud of cotton wool and it's so tricky to do work with that sort of padding constraing you.

Anyway, man, I'm really interested to know what SKull and Joel have been up to!
Skullbie at 10:38PM, March 4, 2014
(online)
JoeL_CQB wrote:
ha, i had forgotten my password for a while. and had ozone reset it.
also congrats on the cintiq, best investment.
I'm so excited, I will join the big kids club!
ozoneocean wrote:

I saw you made an account on comicfury and posted, like, once. You're not missing out though. Place is pretty…I don't even know at this point. BIZARRO?

BIZARRROOO
I stopped doing comics and have moved on to visual novels. There's some pretty big money in making romance gaems, I mean, 100k profit for garbage like fading farts and even unkown devs can make 8k on kickstarter. I have a game i'm making
http://starlightvega.tumblr.com/
JoeL_CQB at 1:36AM, March 5, 2014
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:

I've had migrains on and off for 4 days now, only really bad in the mornings till yesterday that was so bad I had to take the whole day off work. It came back again today in a weak form.
The trouble is that the painkillers have really fugged up my brain. I'm sitting on a cloud of cotton wool and it's so tricky to do work with that sort of padding constraing you.

Grad school is exhausting, and i learned to write better. I think. Giving my comic another go at it.
I also just sort of left my website alone for five years sinking money into that too, so I felt bad just having it there being a reminder of something that I wanted to finish.
Skullbiewrote:
I'm so excited, I will join the big kids club!
I saw you made an account on comicfury and posted, like, once. You're not missing out though. Place is pretty…I don't even know at this point. BIZARRO?

BIZARRROOO
I stopped doing comics and have moved on to visual novels. There's some pretty big money in making romance gaems, I mean, 100k profit for garbage like fading farts and even unkown devs can make 8k on kickstarter. I have a game i'm making

My sister is also doing stuff like that. I'm pretty sure you're not her though.
also what happened to skoolmunkee?
last edited on March 5, 2014 1:39AM
Skullbie at 2:23AM, March 5, 2014
(online)
JoeL_CQB wrote:

Do you know her project name or username? VNs are pretty small community so I probably know her.
Also i have no idea how to change my sig and get that expired image out of it.
Ozoneocean at 2:40AM, March 5, 2014
(online)
JoeL_CQB

Grad school is exhausting, and i learned to write better. I think. Giving my comic another go at it.
I also just sort of left my website alone for five years sinking money into that too, so I felt bad just having it there being a reminder of something that I wanted to finish.

Ah money… I have to get the contracts organised with this place so we can start handling our own moey and actually get a programmer working. :(
Contracts… taxes… legal shiz…

Skullbie wrote:

BIZARRROOO

I think I just made an account to keep my name just in case I moved there… I con't remember now. I've heard a lot of strange stuff about people being reeeeaaaaly touchy about political stuff and gender relations etc, and even anti-american? But I've chated with the creator over skype (very embarrased I can't recal his name right now!), and he seems like a really nice guy.

That Visual novel stuff looks really interesting! if at all possible would you be available to do a Quackcast (http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/quackcast/) interview about that some time? Even next weekend?
Learning about other things that webcomicers get into is always fascinating.
last edited on March 5, 2014 2:49AM
HippieVan at 8:51AM, March 5, 2014
(online)
Skullbie wrote:
I'm getting a cintiq!

So jealous!

Skullbie wrote:
I saw you made an account on comicfury and posted, like, once. You're not missing out though. Place is prettyI don't even know at this point. BIZARRO?

Do tell! I made an account there back when all the cool kids were doing it, but never really used it. I can't remember why. At least their forums are active. :'(

Dealing with paperwork is probably the worst part about being an adult. I'm trying to take a summer course at another university this summer. The problem: I can't register for classes until I've applied(obviously). I can't apply until I've got written permission from my school to take specific classes. What am I supposed to do if those classes fill up and I have to take something else? Of course, none of this is helped by the fact that the university was meant to put up the registration package weeks ago and it only showed up today.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
JoeL_CQB at 12:58PM, March 5, 2014
(online)
Skullbie wrote:
JoeL_CQB wrote:
Do you know her project name or username? VNs are pretty small community so I probably know her.
currently her handle is shunao
Skullbie at 1:40PM, March 5, 2014
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:

I think I just made an account to keep my name just in case I moved there… I con't remember now. I've heard a lot of strange stuff about people being reeeeaaaaly touchy about political stuff and gender relations etc, and even anti-american? But I've chated with the creator over skype (very embarrased I can't recal his name right now!), and he seems like a really nice guy.

That Visual novel stuff looks really interesting! if at all possible would you be available to do a Quackcast (http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/quackcast/) interview about that some time? Even next weekend?
Learning about other things that webcomicers get into is always fascinating.
Yeah, that about sums it up. Even using the word bitch would get a bashing crusade against you which included the moderator team, which i think is 10x worse than using sexist terms in the first place. They're trying to turn it around, and it's kind of working, but it sucks because most people i liked left already.
Gahh, nuuuuu. Thanks for the interest but I'd sound like a total dweebo and i'm not even that established in VNs. DX
HippieVan wrote:

Do
tell! I made an account there back when all the cool kids were doing
it, but never really used it. I can't remember why. At least their
forums are active. :'(

Dealing with paperwork is
probably the worst part about being an adult. I'm trying to take a
summer course at another university this summer. The problem: I can't
register for classes until I've applied(obviously). I can't apply until
I've got written permission from my school to take specific classes.
What am I supposed to do if those classes fill up and I have to take
something else? Of course, none of this is helped by the fact that the
university was meant to put up the registration package weeks ago and it
only showed up today.
I think most DDers have left
in terms of the ones who posted a lot. Regs right now are me,
killersteak, lefarce(after he got unbanned lol), and a few others posting, and even I have backed off a lot. I know ironscarf and centcomm got turned off by all the weird
political correctness. Idk, i guess i see what they were trying to do
(~make an environment safe for everyone~) and then it drove everyone
away??
There's others but they just pop in from time to time.
Tell me about it nothing worse than filling out longass forms. What are you studying?
JoeL_CQB wrote:
currently her handle is shunao
I don't know her, lol. I hang out on lemmasoft maybe i'll see her around.
HippieVan at 3:48PM, March 5, 2014
(online)
Skullbie wrote:
I think most DDers have left
in terms of the ones who posted a lot. Regs right now are me,
killersteak, lefarce(after he got unbanned lol), and a few others posting, and even I have backed off a lot. I know ironscarf and centcomm got turned off by all the weird
political correctness. Idk, i guess i see what they were trying to do
(~make an environment safe for everyone~) and then it drove everyone
away??
There's others but they just pop in from time to time.
Tell me about it nothing worse than filling out longass forms. What are you studying?
That is kind of amazing that lefarce has not been perma-banned if the forum is really that PC! I seem to remember bravo got banned for some questionable posts?

I'm studying history. :)

The forms are even worse than I had thought…turns out my university wants a freakin syllabus for the class before they'll sign a letter of permission. So I'm somehow supposed to get a syllabus for a course beginning two months from now that I'm not registered for at a university I haven't even applied to yet.
Ozoneocean at 9:57PM, March 5, 2014
(online)
AH too bad Skull, would've been good to have you on to chat about the concept :)

Forum management is harder than you think sometimes, but the trick seems to be to be as hands off as you can and just jick out specific troublemakers. It's only certain individuals who change culure and make problems. Trying to control thoughts though and words and the whole culture of the place is bad… I've made all those mistakes :)
Lonnehart at 12:43AM, March 6, 2014
(online)
It's nice to see some people come back, even if for a little bit. :)
O… kay. Tried out the demo for Minecraft and managed to creep myself out. Amazing how sounds can affect you more than graphics. Now I'll avoid digging too far under my house for fear of encountering zombies in some ancient catacomb…
JoeL_CQB at 3:49AM, March 6, 2014
(online)
what happened to the art section? i am confused by all these changes!
HippieVan at 1:24PM, March 6, 2014
(online)
JoeL_CQB wrote:
what happened to the art section? i am confused by all these changes!

Haha, I finally hid the old forum sections just recently because I figured people had had enough time to get used to the changes. XD
I think skoolmunkee decided to condense the forums a bit because we had way too many for a while.

Stuff that went in art and literature would go either in comic talk or media megaforum.

Skullbie wrote:

Oh, it's really stupid. You have to go to your user control panel and then to the “forums” tab to edit your sig.
last edited on March 6, 2014 1:34PM
Lonnehart at 4:45AM, March 7, 2014
(online)
Wow…. even though I've played a lot of Resident Evil BEFORE it became an Acton Horror game, I've punched through Silent Hill, and went through Doom even though it creeped me out, when it comes to Minecraft I've found that I'm a total…. chicken.

I dig deep enough, hit a cavern, then start hearing zombie noises which causes me to block the hole off and get out of there. Even worse… the dark caverns of Elder Scrolls: Oblivion didn't faze me at all…

Then again, being equipped with just a wooden sword and no armor might have something to do with that…
last edited on March 7, 2014 4:46AM
JoeL_CQB at 10:53PM, March 7, 2014
(online)
going through my old work, and old places where I had posted my previous work, I felt like I was more motivated back then, but then I also realized I was mostly motivated for the attention. i also sucked back then too.
and then i realized, i probably felt more motivated then because I wasn't trying to work on my comic, while juggling other work, like getting animation walking cycles and commissions done on time.
HippieVan at 9:16PM, March 8, 2014
(online)
I've officially found a place to stay and registered for my course for May. :) Pretty proud of myself, and excited to have my own place for the first time - even if it's only for a little while.
Ozoneocean at 10:38AM, March 9, 2014
(online)
Congrats on that Hippie! :D

Ooooohhh, my Sunday was 100% Drunk Duck work,,, Now it's finally time for bed!
Ahhh, I wanna draw comics instead of admin them… hahaha

Banes and I did a great interview with Jake Richards of Modest Medusa! This time it was about his techniques- very interesting subject!
Lonnehart at 9:57PM, March 9, 2014
(online)
Congrats, Hippie! It feels great to step out for the first time and be on your own. I remember that feeling well (though my mother was totally against it… then again she was a bit overprotective).

Okay. Minecraft. I dismissed it as some primitive game with graphics that wasn't as great as many games out there. But playing it reminded me of why I play… because it's fun. I have to “thank” my niece for getting me to play…. with the word in quotations for a reason (it's for better or for worse). After creating, deleting, creating, then deleting multiple worlds to learn the game, I think I"m getting somewhere…

My home/base of operations. Complete with an observation deck (in case spiders show up so I can murder them for their string). Useful for checking for anything that shows up outside that want to have me for a midnight snack…

My cow/chicken farm for when I need food (I'm not playing on “Peaceful” mode here… it's too boring)…

The area in front of my entrance gate at night through the window of my observation gate. Hopefully I built it right so I'm out of the search range of most monsters…

I'm a long way from spelunking/caving at the moment though. Still creeped out by the sounds from those deep dark cavities of the Earth… x_x
last edited on March 9, 2014 10:08PM
Ozoneocean at 7:36PM, March 10, 2014
(online)
My office finally got Wi-fi… I went in the router settings and got the password, so now no more mobile internet for Facebook, music, and youtube! Yay!
Passing the time doing nothing in the office got easier.

I just wish it was easier to get in the zone where I can draw during these dead hours. -_-
Lonnehart at 11:06PM, March 11, 2014
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
My office finally got Wi-fi… I went in the router settings and got the password, so now no more mobile internet for Facebook, music, and youtube! Yay!
Passing the time doing nothing in the office got easier.

I just wish it was easier to get in the zone where I can draw during these dead hours. -_-
I don't like Wi Fi yet myself. Nice and portable, but too slow at the moment. And getting in the zone is not easy when you have Youtube to look at… :)

Ugh… somehow despite following the advice of Minecraft's wiki page and fellow players I still managed to get myself lost in a deep cave. Not so scared now that I'm armed and armored in iron gear, though. Lots of powerful flowing waer and hot lova the lower you go, but the more valuable ores show up as well. Luckily no “boss” type monsters exist, but then again that would make the game hard to play seeing as the “level” meter on the bottom of the screen is only for enchanting stuff (your hunger level, personal skill and gear determine how well you do in combat but your basic stats stay the same)

I read that the land in minecraft that you can explore is 8x the total surface area of the Earth. That's a lot of exploring. Too bad I can't invite other players into my single player game. It can get lonely out there in the wild and hostile wilderness…
kawaiidaigakusei at 12:53PM, March 12, 2014
(online)
I have been binge-watching movies by the dozen lately. Now when I look for an enjoyable movie, I look for a few qualities such as: comedy (check) romance (check) independent (check) quirkiness (check). The more I watch, the more my preferences are funneled down into precise recommendations through an algorithm. Anyway, yesterday I stumbled into the “mumblecore” genre which means low budget, amateur actors, and NO SCRIPT. There have been times while watching movies when I felt the dialogue just rambled on and on, later discovering that there was no script. Sometimes I stop watching rambling movies after twenty minutes because there are thousands of other titles and life is too short to waste on crappy dialogue.

Last night I found out that Earl Grey tea belongs on my short list of undrinkable teas. It must have something to do with the bergamot flavoring that makes me feel nauseous, but I think I will avoid it in the future.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on March 12, 2014 1:08PM
bravo1102 at 2:18PM, March 12, 2014
(offline)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
Last night I found out that Earl Grey tea belongs on my short list of undrinkable teas. It must have something to do with the bergamot flavoring that makes me feel nauseous, but I think I will avoid it in the future.
I don't like it either. It's one of the few teas I have to add milk or lemon to. But I can drink green tea without anything.
Lonnehart at 7:59PM, March 12, 2014
(online)
Okay. I decided to create a new world in Minecraft to explore. Named it after Kawaii (couldn't think of a good name at that time. What I got was this…

The World of Kawaii seems to have no animals, few trees, and is very difficult to survive. I was told it was like the Grand Canyon. Looks like dessert to me though… O_O

Ended up taking a boat across the ocean just to find food (game has a hunger bar which you have to keep full or you start taking HP damage from starvation). T_T
last edited on March 12, 2014 8:01PM
Ozoneocean at 8:06PM, March 12, 2014
(online)
English breakfast with sugar and milk… and a pice of toast with vegimite and margarine is the australian way.

I did that with movies for a good long while, till it got too hard to reliably find good ones and I was basically spending almost as much time looking for them as watching them- getting 30 minutes into something, finding it was shit and then looking for one that suited my tastes better…
Episodic anime is far more relaible. I can blast through entire series while drawing without having to keep stopping to find something better. The internet is a wonderful place…
Baka and Test was my latest series. VERY entertaining and silly. Love it. :D

Kawaii- My tastes are often pretty similar; independant, comedy, romantic comedy… There seem to be more than the usual amount of quality issues with movies in those catagories though so there are a lot of duds. So I branch out to art films and historical drama:
Historical drama is usually pretty high quality, and bad quality in art films is part of the style.
HippieVan at 9:18PM, March 12, 2014
(online)
The only tea I don't like that much is green tea. I've amassed kind of a ridiculous tea collection since Davids Tea opened in my city, actually. I painted jars and stuff. Maybe I'll take a picture tomorrow. :)

@Lonne: I played an iPhone game for a while that was very similar to minecraft but probably kind of stripped-down…I think it was called Blockheads? Anyways, I always felt very distressed when my little guys were cold/hot/hungry/whatever. I think I named them Frost and Beta after a short story…
This is why I'm not very good at video games! I get way too worked up about them.

Rant: red lipstick is so daunting! I want to look like a glamourous old-timey lady, but it just seems so “look at me!” that I never feel brave enough to wear it out of the house.
Lonnehart at 2:10AM, March 13, 2014
(online)
HippieVan wrote:
The only tea I don't like that much is green tea. I've amassed kind of a ridiculous tea collection since Davids Tea opened in my city, actually. I painted jars and stuff. Maybe I'll take a picture tomorrow. :)

@Lonne: I played an iPhone game for a while that was very similar to minecraft but probably kind of stripped-down…I think it was called Blockheads? Anyways, I always felt very distressed when my little guys were cold/hot/hungry/whatever. I think I named them Frost and Beta after a short story…
This is why I'm not very good at video games! I get way too worked up about them.

Rant: red lipstick is so daunting! I want to look like a glamourous old-timey lady, but it just seems so “look at me!” that I never feel brave enough to wear it out of the house.
Okay. Now I have to try Earl Gray tea to see how bad it is… I normally just drink the ASSAM Black Tea that's found in stores around here. There is also milk tea which I only tried once…. ended up with “Montezuma's Revenge”. O_O

I've seen women wearing red lipstick with what appears to be white makeup covering their face. Sometimes I'm not sure what to make of it. On that note, I still get confused when women want the “natural” look, but then cake on the makeup with a house paint roller. O_O

@Hippe: That would be a different game. You're all by yourself in a hostile world made of blocks (the size of said world is apparently the same as the planet Uranus). All you do is survive. Gather resources to make a house, fend off zombies, skeletons, and those green four legged explosive creatures that have become a pop culture icon, etc…

I imagine you'd probably be frustrated mostly due to the creepy cave ambience (which is harmless, but still creeps me out), and because those green things like sneaking up behind you…. the only warning you get is a loud hiss behind you which tells you you have about a split second to get out of the way or be KO'ed (on Normal mode anyway… you lose all the stuff you were carrying and respawn at the last place you slept), or permakilled (on HARD mode… you die, your save file is deleted).

And “Creative” mode? Where you can't die and can place/destroy blocks as you wish? I found it boring….

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon